It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG - What is this? - Dirty Energy Light Bulbs?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackKnight7365

Hopefully Obama can block these law makers for their own benefit
types that think for us.

DTV is up and running but do they stress that so people can do something
about it like get the converter in use.

The Filament is best for Reliability.
If you want rays or healthier light go curly but the plastic stinks when
it burns. Yeah, I stated using them when they first came out and
the only bad one were the GE now all over the stores.
Get the straight ones, they might be made better.

As far a Tesla and bulbs, he said Edison lamps make you go bald.
Ha ha, was Tesla pulling our leg.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
While we are talking about radiation....
How about the radiation coming from your computer monitor?

A few months after I got my computer - 8 years ago - I began having food allergies. Just a co incidence? I don't know. I'm rather addicted to the computer and there have only been a few days when I did not turn it on.
I have CFLs in the garage, outside on the garage, in the hallways, in the closet and one in the bathroom - not over the sink.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Yup, and batteries are nasty too... THAT IS WHY THERE ARE RECYCLING PROGRAMS FOR BOTH OF THESE!!!!!!

Your local homedepot, or other hardware should/do have recycling programs for you to bring your old bulbs back in!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was wondering about that meter she was holding... a Stetzerizer?

Ahhh... Google...

www.blockemf.com...

Electrosensitive people have reported sensitivities with readings as low as 27 on the Microsurge meter. However, medium or even low Microsurge meter readings should not be interpreted as a guarantee that there is no harmful health impact; only a medical expert can determine that. Caution is required. Some harmful health effects of high frequency energy on humans appear to be cumulative, and possibly non-reversible. Science is inconclusive in this area, although the body of empirical evidence available for guidance continues to expand and stabilize.

This is electromagnetic flavored snake oil. You can put this right next to your magnetic bracelets.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
what is the difference between an LED bulb and CFL bulb? I dont get it.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hitmen

light emitting diodes are solid state electronic light sources which are very compact, require only low voltages and are very efficient to boot.

compact flourescent lamps are based on high voltage gas discharge, which in turn needs transformers, a sealed glass tube with mercury vapor and a slew of electronics which provide the voltage and if all goes well, some safety circuitry. they are less efficient but stronger and more mature, because large bar type flourescents have been around for a while and these are just shrunk and tricked out variants.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have ordered some orgonite for protection from emf, emr, and other bad things. As for LED bulbs I'm getting EarthLED ZetaLux 7 Watt and the EarthLED CL-3 3 Watt. I'll post how i feel about these when i get them. Heck I even ordered a Terminator Zapper from one of the websites i ordered the organite.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by fantomize]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow, it only took people 71 years to catch on to the fact that fluorescents have mercury in them.

Handle carefully, use them only if you do fine with the light (I'm fine with it, and I suffer from parietal lobe epilepsy) and if you're not fine with the light, the good news is that LED lighting will be viable before you know it.

Oh, and if you get your power from a coal-fired plant, your incandecents are responsible for spewing more mercury into the environment than your CFLs.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fantomize

Orgonite?

I'm positive that Wilhelm Reich is spinning in his grave.

Orgone was never postulated to have any effect on the electromagnetic spectrum. Orgone was postulated to behave in a manner similar and perhaps related to the EM spectrum, however was divorced from it. Reich considered his discoveries to be of a wholly unexplored realm of the natural sciences. Reich was considering a whole new physics to describe its interaction with matter and consciousness which he was unable to complete before his public ridicule and death.

I'd suggest you visit this link and invest in some of the background materials from Reich himself before you waste any more money on scams based on his work.

If anything this "orgonite" nonsense is nothing more than overt propaganda to continue to discredit his research.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have had no problems with flourecent blulbs been using them for over 5 years

If there not for you GO LED all the way they even have things called OLED
Organic Light Emmiting Diode.
it looks like A4 sheet paper its so thin they even started making tv's with it an its like a soft glow so not a sharp bright glow looks awesome. have like walls covered in it or blinds made out of it so there lights at night.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Their longevity for me has been about the same or sometimes worse than incandescent bulbs a month to a few months. The only ones that have worked for any length of time were the ones I made into an aquarium light fixture which stays on (3 years). Do they last much longer if you never turn them off?

Only problems for me:
GE bulbs are horrible
No place here to recycle them, they do in fact go into a landfill
Longevity is highly questionable.

[edit on 31/1/2009 by toochaos4u]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
My 9 year old son actually busted one of these new bulbs in his bedroom. I was scared to death when I found out. He didnt tell us for 3 days that he had even done it. He had the top part of the bulb hidden under his pillow and the rest was in his closet. I dont believe they should make it mandatory for us all to use those stupid bulbs, they are way to dangerous. My son became very sick after breaking that bulb. I have known now for almost a year the new bulbs could be dangerous. But we also dont have any place to send them when something happens they say just throw them in with the regular trash. I am down to having only 2 of them left and when they dont work anymore I will go back to a regular bulb.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

My mood got more depressed over the last 2 1/2 years since we changed 30 bulbs in the house. I changed them all out 3 weeks ago and am now noticing that I seem to be much more 'alive', taking more of an interest in accomplishing things, and even in motivation.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I like the EarthLED bulbs although not as bright as my last florescent bulbs I could have orders the brighter EarthLED bulb. But I'm fine with it. The Terminator Zapper is great. Although i have only had it for 2 days. I'm pretty sure I'll feel even better by next week. As far as the organite pendant i ordered called Harmonic Protector. I feel clear minded, less negative thoughts, and even slept better with it on. When I'm near the florescent bulbs and near the PC Lcd monitor It doesn't bother me. I was a little skeptical too although I do believe in energy such as chi, chakra, or however else you can call it. I wanted to try it out. I feel it works and in time I feel it would only get better.

I have a few questions for you cogburn. Have you ever tried an organite pendant? Do you believe in chi energy you know life force energy?

I do.

Want some examples. Here you go

Qigong master (Realy cool Must see! )
www.youtube.com...

Qigong Master Boils Water With His Hands Pyrokinesis
www.youtube.com...

Quantum Healing with Dr. Lo
www.youtube.com...

In life people that stick to the books only go so far. In life their are many unexplained things that science can't prove or people suppress.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The LEDs I saw have a CRI of 72.
(“color rendering index” (CRI), which suggests how an object illuminated by that light will appear in relation to its appearance under other common light sources.)

LEDs are dim.. Consider the Normal Lumen's one should be subjected too on a regular bases.

I also read that a company in India is looking to make a breakthrough in LEDs but with a slight side effect.. they will be using a product in their LEDS that consist of a hazardous material (Arsenic Small quantities in the form of gallium arsenide within light emitting diodes)
Hazardous substances

I looked at one product that was 5 watts and had a rating of 80 lumen's per watt.. thats 400 lumen's. Was rated for 50,000 hrs +/-. Please note that when they say life of a bulb.. they refer to the average life span.. this is not to say that all the bulbs will last this long. We may only get 75% or 125% our of a bulb. Also take into consideration that once the life of the "LED" reaches a certain %, the light it emits will diminish overtime, lower lumen's.

Replacing 12 of my existing fixtures that had similar lumen's would save me $2000 in 15 years with a payback after 3.91 years with a hydro rate of 65 cents/KWh. I would need to fork out $312 plus applicable taxes to purchase this bulb.

I was informed by those who approached me with said product that they will go down in price, just as the plasma TV's did.

I really do not like the CRI and I'm weary as to what those LEDs are made from.

These gentlemen were trying to spin their product on how beneficial it would have been for my establishment, retail store....

My findings after I put in the stats in a program I created long ago to help with making economical and financial decisions were as follows;

I used 200 fixtures as a figure.. I think we have more and came up with these results;

*Save $ 40,000 in 15 years.
*Save 383 man hrs from changing the bulbs.
*lower my hydro consumption by 2000 KWh monthly
*Payback would be under 3 years.

Nice right!

Well here's the negative which they do not tell you...

*These new bulbs would be 86% dimmer!!
*Cost of running my present bulbs at it's present Lumen's for the duration of it's life.. a messily $20 per lumen, Their bulbs, when the lumen's were matched to my existing bulbs, would be $148 per lumen!!

My existing bulbs have a lumen's of 2200 and a CRI of 100% with CTK of 2875. These bulbs also have an IR coating which allow better lumen's per watt ratio then ones standard bulbs.

I guess we could always hand out flashlights...

Anyhow... from my observation.. its all hype and not enough substance and practical observations selling this technology. I'm sure in time when they resolve the white light issue and the lumen's and what I mentioned above issue.. it may be practical one day. For now.. I'm on the sideline waiting and watching.

I'd like to mention that I do utilize CFLs through the store in our pot lights as casual lighting and not display lighting. Our ceiling are well above ten feet high and are the equivalent of a 100w/130v bulb. Get the Osram as it tends to give of a whiter light in the 130v range then its predecessors which give off a yellowish tinge due to the thicker filiment if you don't want to use a CFL.

Cheers,

John B.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Willbert]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Something a little more practical in comparison, from EarthLED;

TriSpectra 3

Specs;
- $44.79 (with Taxes)
- Power Consumption: 6 Watts
- Input Voltage: 90~240 V AC (Worldwide) , AC/DC 12 Volt (MR16)
- Luminous Flux: 420 Lumen's
- Color Temperature: 3200 K (Warm), 6000 K (Cool)
- CRI: 80 (Typical)
- Beam Angle – 45 degrees Per Beam
- Lifespan: > 50,000 Hours (MTBF)
- Base Types Available: MR-16, E26/27
- Great For: Spotlight, Reading Light, Track Light, Pendant Lights

Replacing a Standard Osram 60w/130v bulb, frost cover.

Specs;
$ .53 (with taxes)
Lumens = 660
Life of bulb = 2500
CRI = 95
Base = E26/27
Input Voltage = 90~240 V AC (Worldwide)
Beam Angle = 360 degrees (depending on fixture)

Hrs in operation 3366/year, is 9.2 hrs a day. (thinking on a commercial aspect. If home use.. payback would take a lot longer)

What we also need to take into consideration is any additional charges not associated with the product such as hydro expenses.. I like to use $ .65 KWh and also add in the 3% my local distributor adds to my hydro bill due to line loss. So whenever I use something I tack on 3% to it's rated wattage.. eg.. 100 watt bulb is now a 103 Watt bulb. It functions as a 100 watt bulb, but I get charged for 103 watts while its in use...

Now my programs comparison...

To replace 6 of my existing bulbs is an upfront cost of $268.73 (yes we could replace on demand.. and lower our initial costs. But the payback will take longer.)

Operational cost for the 60w in one year is $80.08
Operational cost for the LED in one year is $ 26.67

60w ea. lumen costs $1.8022
LED ea. lumen costs $1.6345

Lumen's difference is rated as 9.31% more for the 60w

Savings based on the longest bulb, LED in this case, would be a savings of $793.23 in 14.85 years.

Payback once all lamps have been re-lamped would be within 4.95 years.

Hydro decreased 82.1 KWh a month, a decrease of 88.68%

You would save 20 hours in labor from changing bulbs in those 14.85 years. (keep in mind.. those are estimated life spans.. could be more or less... )

My only concern would be the CRI and how close are the LEDs to white light.

Things to consider.. does one have the $ to flop down during these times. The area covered by the bulbs.. LED is a flood where as the other has a 360 degree coverage.. covering a larger radius then the LED.
Can one wait those years until they see any profit from these lights? Will new and better technology be available before the 4 + years before payback?? If we won't see any improvement in 14 years.. then sure.. buy them if you're not concerned about lighting quality.

My 2 cents..

Peace,

John B.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Willbert]

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I though I should re-animated this thread due to my recent thread regarding the Energy Comission

Important topic!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join