It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG - What is this? - Dirty Energy Light Bulbs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Has anyone seen this?

Please star and flag we need to get people talking about this

should I not buy those energy efficient bulbs anymore?

[edit on 25-1-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have one going right now in my room, it's about 7 feet away. I've had it in there for a while now, as you know these bulbs last a long long time. I haven't ever experienced any noticeable problems from it.

One thing that's interesting on the conspiracy front tho is that when these bulbs came out a few years back, the city(Seattle) actually sent a couple of them to all their customers. I've been using them ever since.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I want to thank you so much for posting this - I have been suffering from chronic head aches for the past year or so since we moved into this house. We have these energy savings lights all through the house. Well I am not saying that my headaches are caused by these lights just that there is potential that it is as my headaches match the description of the woman in the clip. We are replacing our lights and I will let you know within a week if this makes a change.

By the way also remember that Teflon is a major problem that has been downplayed by Dupont.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Fascinating, my wife was given some of these as samples at the local electric company and we are using them. This could be the unexplained rashes my daughter ever so often would break out.

Never occurred to me that these light bulbs would do it.

Off to change some light bulbs.......

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hmmm, these bulbs do last up to 15 years. Maybe it's a setup by the bulb companies that are losing sales on standard bulbs noone is buying anymore. Fair enough people are still buying bulbs but if they are now lasting 15 years not just 1 year then bulb sales must have dropped drastcally.

Anyway, I've got about 150 energy saving bulbs so I'm not going to stop using them just yet!!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
These bulbs are dangerous especially if broken, you or your child can be breathing IN the mercury they contain, as it disperses from the bulb after it is broken. BEWARE

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have these in my home ( all my lights ) and have for a while and have not once noticed anything like this or anything else un explained. I'll keep em.Thanks

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
They plan to ban the traditional type by 2012.

I did a thread on it when the first phase of the ban started a few weeks ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread is great, the dangers need to be known, if not only just so they are handled safely.

www.guardian.co.uk...

women.timesonline.co.uk...

www.express.co.uk...

Not good. I'm quite concerned about the mercury content, how many people read the box (i do, but many don't). You have to be extremely careful if you break one - read up on that bit:

The Environment Department says the new-style bulbs should be taken to a council recycling facility when they break or stop working because the mercury makes them too dangerous to dump in a general rubbish bin.
From there, they will be collected by contractors, such as Mercury Recycling, and taken to special treatment plan

source

www.mailonsunday.co.uk...

starred and flagged

[edit on 25-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

They are idiots for not testing this sooner... if not criminally negligent. Yet this issue could clearly be fixed by putting a UV filter over the bulbs!

Inventors, there is an opportunity for you. To be honest I have been wondering about this very issue for years and believe that light bulbs should be designed to match the same signature as the sun across as wide a spectrum of light as possible including UV, IR, etc.

Much more offensive to me than the poor UV performance of the bulbs is the fact that you throw away the ballast every single time with the bulb. Ridiculous! Just like the bulbs that go into office ceilings there is no reason why they can't sell the glass tube separately from the ballast. I just don't get it... those ballasts cannot be that cheap which is evident by the high price of the bulbs. Does anybody understand the logic there?

And one last thing... I'm wondering if HPS (High Pressure Sodium) bulbs are less toxic and more environmentally friendly. I know sodium is also a toxic metal but perhaps not so much as murcury. HPS bulbs are also more efficient than the fluorescent bulbs.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by truthquest]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The old filament bulbs are going to be outlawed soon. You will only be able to buy these florescents because they say " they save the environment". Big BS. Just another company trying to make money.

Dupont also had R12 refrigerant outlawed because "it depleted the ozone". They failed to mention their patent was expiring and everyone and their grand ma would be manufacturing R12, so they "invent" R134 with a new 50 year patent.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i JUST changed my lightbulb.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
i JUST changed my lightbulb.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by survival]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
I.... believe that light bulbs should be designed to match the same signature as the sun across as wide a spectrum of light as possible including UV, IR, etc.

Indoor bulbs should NOT match the sun in UV. People who spend too much time in the sun can develop skin cancer from the UV. We don't want to have to use sunblock while sitting at the kitchen table, do we?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this information! Not only is this backed up by some valid sources, but just today after reading this I called my mother and asked her if she knew about these light bulbs..
She told me that Im a few months behind on my work.. She had to laugh becasue well, Im always on the up and up. I tell my family about all sorts of things when it comes to this realm of life.
She said indeed they are dangerous bulbs.. And even deadly if they break open!
So if you have any young children.. Be very careful around these types of light bulbs. Most the time comman sense would tell us not to put them in your mouth.

And at first I just thought to myself.. Oh boy.. Another way to sue someone to make money. But after talking with my mother on the phone. I now know these lights are dangerous, as the video pointed out.

Star and flag from me!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
That sucks since traditional light bulbs are going to be banned by 2010 in the EU.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Thank you so much for posting the videos. I don't like the sound that comes from these light bulbs. It's like a high pitch ringing sound. It's very annoying to me. Ever since I started noticing the noise I became concerned about whether or not the light bulbs were good for my health.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Teeky]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They are planning to ban the Good Old incandescent bulbs in the European Union starting from September 2009, this year! The first ones to go are the bright 100 watt bulbs and all other lower-power bulbs with a matte glass. The rest of them will go a bit later. I have already bought a good supply of incandescent light bulbs for my future needs, so that I won't have to smuggle them from Russia in the future. You never know, you might have to face even a jail sentence or at least a hefty fine of committing such an unlawful act against the Society.

The UV exposure in the Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) is true, and some people may be overly sensitive to them. The "white" light emitted from the CFLs is created by ultraviolet radiation, which is converted to visible light in the white coating inside the fluorescent tube. However, the UV radiation is usually not filtered out by a transparent cover. This cover will eat some of the light power off the lamp, so it will appear dimmer than it is supposed to be. This protective cover also tends to decrease the life-span of these lamps due to the resulting higher temperature of the lamp electronic parts, so the lamps are very commonly built with a bare fluorescent tube, in order to make them seem "long life" lamps.

The "dirty electricity" emitted from the CFLs is a controversial thing, but there are may people who really are sensitive especially to low-frequency electric fields that the CFLs do emit. Some lamps also emit higher radio frequencies. This is a phenomenon that all us radio amateurs (ham radio guys) know – the radio noise levels in the surroundings have gone up together with the CFL lights becoming more common.

The Good Old incandescent bulbs do not emit mentionable amounts of UV radiation, and neither do they emit disturbing electric or radio frequency fields that may cause problem to some people either. And the Wise Politicians are planning to ban them, as they contain no toxic elements and they are not causing electromagnetic interference either. All the old lamps do is create pure, natural light – and lots of heat.

At least in my country the ban of incandescent bulbs is crazy, as the bulbs will aid in heating our houses, which then reduces the need of other heating methods. You know, in the Northern Europe we need to have the heating turned on during nine months of the year, sometimes ten (if the summer happens to be chilly).

They really should have done more tests about the effects of banning the incandescent light bulbs, and also research the people who are noticeably sensitive to either the UV radiation or the low-frequency electromagnetic fields of the CFLs. Even if the science can not yet explain or even understand the potentially adverse effects of low-frequency electromagnetic fields to us human beings, there are lots of people who do suffer from them. The most important thing the Science should do now is NOT to ignore these living pieces of evidence!

But the history is again repeating itself, it seems.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
A great informative post

Thank you for bringing this to light and I hope this will be very interesting for all, as I think most homes around the world are now using those globes as I do.

Star and Flagged

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork

Originally posted by truthquest
I.... believe that light bulbs should be designed to match the same signature as the sun across as wide a spectrum of light as possible including UV, IR, etc.

Indoor bulbs should NOT match the sun in UV. People who spend too much time in the sun can develop skin cancer from the UV. We don't want to have to use sunblock while sitting at the kitchen table, do we?

Maybe and maybe not. The sun produces roughtly 1000 Watts per square meter when it is beating down on you. A light bulb may produce perhaps 25 watts per square meter at a fairly close range, so it really may not have any effect. I'm sure if I was UV sensitive I would probably want no UV, but if not I would prefer the suns spectrum because its natural, and clearly the news shows no studies have been done to test for otherwise. When in doubt, I'd prefer to match mother nature as closely as possible.

No sunlight means very little natural Vitamin D production so there is a balance you have to make.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is so interesting. In the UK the government give them free to anyone who has a dissability, or who is old. So we are talking physical dissability, mental health issues and elderly people. Something smells bad, Im not sure what at this point but Im going to research this further.

Thanks for the OP.

Respects

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join