It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Racial Benediction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around. When yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

Was this really spoken in public in the 21st century? I can't help but be offended - when white will embrace what is right?

I understand that Rev. Lowery is very old and has fought the good fight for civil rights for a log time - but its 2009 and we just inagurated a black man for president.

There are times when I think racism is a thing of the past then something so ignorant and blatant surfaces that I fell thrown back into the late 50's. It seems that racism is flowing in another direction than it was then.

Think if this poem was worded a little differently, sypathetic to white folk. Think how offensive that would be viewed as. Then - present it in one of the biggest international events in years on live television.

I just don't get it. That benediction was very devisive and innappropriate.

I honestly hoped the Obama crowd was beyond this.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I thought it was inappropriate as well. I anticipated an inauguration that would lift spirits, but this particular speech seemed to run counter to that. The argument will be that white Americans just don't want to hear anything that suggests work might still be in order, but I don't think that's the case. I can accept that we aren't all on equal footing yet, but Obama's inauguration was meant to be a unifying, uplifting event. Pointing out the guilt of half of the crowd isn't particularly unifying or uplifting--for that half, at least.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i liked the benediction.
don't see what the problem is.
maybe some people don't like mirrors held in front of them.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I dont either it sent a great message especially, in the context of the black church

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I like Rev. Lowery but having him say what he said at that time
was out of place. I saw clips of this - and clips of Obama smiling
and kinda laughing while Rev. Lowery was saying his stuff ...

Jon Stewart on the Daily Show had a lot of fun with it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The benediction was undignified and inappropriate. Enough is enough already.

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back"

Really? Last time I checked a black man was the president. I think that people of many races including quite a few whites had something to do with that.

There are actually many white folks, like myself who have always valued and appreciated people of all races and treated all people with respect.

Unfortunately, it appears that there will always be a certain percent of any race who are ignorant and hateful of people based on their race alone.

This pastors performance was a discraceful and inappropriate response to a nation of all colors giving their highest office and leadership to a black man.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
i liked the benediction.

What does this have to with a mirror? The great people of America elected a black man president and STILL the racism of yesteryear is tossed in our face. Appropriate for a Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton rally - but definitly not a presidential inauguration.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
i liked the benediction.

White people don't do right? Is that what you're saying? How is that any different than any other racial stereotype?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
to reiterate:
Some people may not like the mirror held in front of them.
and he spoke the words at the appropriate forum.
it reached a wider audience than perhaps a "sharpton/jackson" rally.
whatever, that means.
you don't agree, that's fine.
but, i do.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bakane

some white people don't do right.
hop on over to the nationalist websites.
better yet, read comments posted on breitbart tv on any news articles about the new first family.
bigotry has always been around. it will soon be a thing of the past if people let go of hate.
it's reality.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by heather65

Really pathetic...

You agree with the statement that white doesn't do right based on the tiny proportion of whites who are racist nationalists?

Hell man, how is that any different from a generalisation like "Blacks need to stop committing crimes" based on the actions of a minority of black people?

Such attitudes have no place in modern times. I hate to use a BNP slogan, but racism does cut both ways you know...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
i've never said it doesn't go both ways.
even "tiny" proportions, which i doubt, are portions.
i'm addressing the benediction.
giving an example of another type of hate-filled, rhetoric-spewing, and racist organization may take attention away from the purpose of the thread. but, it doesn't address the topic directly.
start a new thread if you want to discuss the problems of black on black violence. i'll gladly comment.

as i've stated: some people don't like a mirror held in front of them.
ignoring or dismissing a problem doesn't make it go away.
discussing and offering suggestions to a problem often does.
in fact, i think its good to have a healthy debate.
provided it's civil.

so, if you want to debate the topic: i'm all for it.

oh, and by the way, i may not agree with your point of view but, i didn't insult your view as pathetic.
i'd appreciate civility.
i gave a respectful response. i'd appreciate the same.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by heather65]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by heather65

I've stated my views, and I can't rebuff yours any more resoundly. I'll just remind you of this:

Using the behaviour of select sub-groups within larger groups to justify sullying the entire group is textbook racism.

Moreover it had no place in a presidential inaugration. If Lowery wanted to address "some" whites, he should have said, "Let some whites do what is right" or whatever. Instead he mentioned the entire race- and that is what was uncalled for.

I apologise if you feel I have offended you personally. I stand by my statement that your views are pathetic. I respect you and your right to say what you want, but I will go after your views if I disagree with them. Thats the foundation of debate. Feel free to go after mine

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around. When yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

Yes it struck me as racist too.

However maybe the REAL message is some people will always whine and complain and bring up things that happened 50 years ago no matter WHAT is done to appease them. Some people will always play victim because that is often all they really have going for them.

What they don't realize is after a while it gets OLD and it STOPS WORKING. Eventually the message sinks in, if we are that bad no matter what we do then why keep trying? There will be constant criticism and insults either way, in fact I do believe it follows the old saying of "mistaking kindness for weakness". So let them think what they like and put energy towards those that WILL appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
no problems here.
we disagree.
you're not disrespectful.
you are a completely perfect human being.

so, the insert of one word would've suited you fine.
i get it now.
i never generalized an entire race in my posts. you may have misread them.
if it doesn't apply to your way of life, that's fine.
however, it does apply to some of our fellow earth inhabitants.
peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Im sorry, going to post this in its own thread. I don't want to derail this thread.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by Bakane]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So it appears the people who aren't white.. support hate towards whites.

Come knock on my door and we will see what happens.

Im not racist .. how bout you ask yourself that question.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Why is no one complaining that he insinuated that Asians can't be "mellow" That Native Americans "can't get ahead"?

Everyone needs to embrace what's right. And it RHYMED! It's was a silly little poem in a prayer. I think someone could benefit from lightening up!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
it also appears that some people make assumptions.
you know what happens when you assume.
i know who i am. i know how i feel.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Why is no one complaining that he insinuated that Asians can't be "mellow" That Native Americans "can't get ahead"?

Everyone needs to embrace what's right. And it RHYMED! It's was a silly little poem in a prayer. I think someone could benefit from lightening up!

What if it were a Caucasian reverend saying something like "Blacks should go back?" Would it be racist? I mean, it rhymes...and besides, it's just a silly little poem.

Even saying "Some whites need to get it right" really upsets me. Why? Because it's still solely defaming some people of a race. Why not say something defamatory towards some blacks in the poem? Either the entire poem needed to be omitted from the speech, or something POSITIVE needed to be said about ALL races (I feel "whites" weren't the only ones insulted). In my communication class, I was taught that if you had to say something negative about someone, you surrounded it with positives (a "sandwich" so to speak). If I were to criticize someone's speech in the class, I gave a positive aspect, working my way into the things I didn't much care for, and end with a positive. So my review of this guy: he sounded sincere (voice was calming), he's a bigot with a lot of fans, but he did well in delivering the speech.

And when people continue to define people by the colour of their skin (black, white, red, yellow, brown), racism will continue to exist. We're humans...we've done bad things in the past to each other, but I thought we were past this. Slavery ended in the 1800s and the Civil Rights movement happened in the 1960s; forty to fifty years is a long time to hold a grudge.

And to the people who still insist that racism still exists today....you are right. However, one race isn't solely commiting ALL THE RACISM. So exhibiting in a "silly poem" that "whites (ugh) need to get it right" is just plain bigotry.

And I don't mean to single you out Benevolent. I just believe you are making light of a situation that many have interpreted to be somewhat offensive.

Friendly discussion encouraged.

/end rant

top topics

<<   2 >>

join