It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

So... again, why cant Christians go around posting their slander against atheists, it is a clear degrading move is it not? The Atheists have done it, because God is Christian, God is NOT Muslim, so atheists should have said THere is probably no Creator, or Superior being, but nope, they focused on God...

Dont be ignorant,

God is not muslim? You do know that Allah means God right? I mean I would hope you did before spouting that statment and then accusing people of being ignorant.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

Good for that Guy I think he made the right decision for not driving a bus with a sign stating there is no God. Stand strong for God no matter what other say or think!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Come on now, you're only making a broad generalization about youth, how is this any different from what you are accusing GamerGal of? It's not. The point of the matter is that this guy is taking things a little too far and I know that if I did that at any job I had that I would be fired.

The decision is solely up to the company. The advertisement isn't necessarily the beliefs of the company but for financial purposes. If they want to fire him I got no gripe but it should be and is only thier choice and shouldn't be pressured by any of us and our beliefs.

As for (what you claim is my generalization of our youth) it is different.Her point is just an opinion while I'm just stating a fact. Are you gonna try to tell me that they aren't becoming more and more desensitized from the brainwashing program our country has in full swing. I Know not all youth are bad but continue to get worse with each passing generation.If this trend continues we wil eventually be a Godless, moraless society.

If you can't see this I suggest you tip up the visor a little and see the world and what's actually going on.

What about kids killing their parents (related to video games). What about all the little morons on youtube committing crimes just so they can post them on youtube.I can go on with plenty of examples and if you need to I'm sure you can research it and find all the FACTS out there for yourself.Hers was a factless generalization and opinion. Mine has supporting facts of the trends of our youth.

[edit on 16/1/2009 by Revealation]

[edit on 16/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So, if some one doesn't like smoking, they can quit their job at a store that sells cigarettes and get the same kind of "pity" this doofus is getting. If some one likes too drink and the bus ads are "Don't drink and drive" and he quits, would he get the same coverage? No. But once again some one is about to do something bad a Christian runs over and tells them don't do that, God will punish you. An Athiest will run over and say don't do that, its wrong to do.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Interesting....athiests can demand and sue that GOD be taken out of everything. They can use the excuse of "i'm offended" and pretty much cry and whine to get their way...but when a religious person stands for THEIR right to believe...all of a sudden he is the one that should be punished. I forget...only atheists are allowed to be offended and get results because of it right?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is. If I had to drive a bus that said "Abortion is A-OK" on the side, I would walk too because that is counter to my personal beliefs. If the company I was working for went out of their way to make sure I didn't have to drive that bus, that would be fine too.

Making this a religious issue when it is clearly a personal belief issue doesn't make sense either. Give it to you guys to blow this all out of proportion.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Not out of every thing. Out of government. In America we have this thing called freedom of, and from, religion and a seperation of church and state. You can have a religious display on your front lawn. The government owned building can't. You can hang angles from your house and have bumper stickers or that little fish thing on your car. A government owned vehicle can't.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by janon

'Blacks, they're probably less human than us'

Would you expect a black man, or any other race to drive a bus with that slogan?

Why should he have to drive a vehicle with a slogan which disagrees with his very beliefs?

Or how about a bus with a slogan that exclaims 'Paedophiles arn't bad people' ....I know I wouldn't drive any bus that said either of the slogans in my post, or the slogan saying there probably isn't a God.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Again...it all resembles communists. They would put ideological slogans everywhere...they needed to have thoughts control. Atheists ARE communists. They are the same kind.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by greshnik]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

That is exactly my point.

Thank you, sir.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Absolutely pathetic. That kind of dualistic attitude is what leads to racism and xenophobia (both ways). You have reached a new low in my eyes masonwatcher...and frankly you weren't that high off to start with.

But it is a pretty good point. Had it been a Muslim bus driver, the baiting would have been ridicules. The man has every right as a Christian not be made to drive a bus with ungodly adverts.

Just for the record, I have never really noticed you so there is no loss in your estimation of me. Anyway keep reading my comments. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is just proof to me that this world is made into nothing more than a bunch of pansies with opinions.We have been nutered.All everyone does is complain and whine and sue for nothing. Why does anyone really care if he chose to do what he did and if his company takes action or not.i think we have way more important issues to concern ourselves with.

As a Christian I honestly hope that if God exists or not, that their is such a catastrophic event which occurs and wipes out modern civilization as we know it. I want to see all the people whine and complain then. This world needs to weed out the useless, weak non contributing people in society and start over. What a useles bunch of flesh bags wasting resources that the rest of us could be using.

Is this Christian enough for you.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by greshnik

You mean slogans like "God Bless America." and "Jesus died for all of our sins" or "Here little boy want some candy?" in front of the catholic church? Or how about this? www.pyzam.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal

Not out of every thing. Out of government. In America we have this thing called freedom of, and from, religion and a seperation of church and state. You can have a religious display on your front lawn. The government owned building can't. You can hang angles from your house and have bumper stickers or that little fish thing on your car. A government owned vehicle can't.

Oh I know what your saying...but my government issued car has a cross hanging on the rearview....
And its not going ANYWHERE!!!

And if I recall..hasn't there been issues where athiests have tried to sue or make people remove their lawn ornaments because they were offended by having to see them? I could be wrong...but I thought there were some cases of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

You get some nutcases in every group. But the ACLU usually stands up for churches. One case was a girl wanted to sing Amazing Grace at a talent show and the school said no. ACLU stepped in and made the school reverse its position because the girl was singing a song. The school wasn't playing it over the speakers, or holding a prayer. The girl can do it, the government controlled school couldn't. It's where we get a lot of mix ups going. And for a laugh... www.pyzam.com... Always a good one.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
God is not muslim? You do know that Allah means God right?

Well not realy ...its just a name of one of thousands of gods (and godessess) worshipped (and invented?) by man down the years.
All the god/gods/godessess of the Norse,Polynesian,Eskimo,Rastafarian,Korean,Abrahamic,Pagan,Olmec ... mythologies have just as much crediblity (and plausiblity) as each other.

As for the bus driver,I'm sure if a 'freethinking' bus driver were to
refuse to drive vehicles emblazoned with adverts for church's overtly proseltysing 'Alpha course' then the bus company would sack him immediatley-the same should apply here,whats the difference?

As another poster mentioned - why should adherents to
'non provable beleif systems' receive preferential treatment?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by greshnik
All I can say is I would NEVER drive a bus like that.

I am 100% sure that atheists would strongly oppose positive messages about God on buses. They would start a revolution to remove them.

Atheists are very, very close to communists. Same mentality, same ruthless ideas...one step from mass murder.

Up to this point, I was just going to let this thread be, but I couldn't stand by and let this tripe go unanswered.

I am an atheist, in a manner of speaking. I think there isn't a God and I find it more probable that humanity was seeded by Aliens.

That said, my 5 year old daughter goes to a Church of England school and attends a Church service every Thursday during school time, as well as daily prayers in the morning and at lunch.

Yesterday on the way back from school, she was telling me about God, the devil, heaven, hell, what happens when you die, Good vs Evil etc.

Now, according to you, I should be spitting feathers, farting lava and calling for a Neo-Crusade against all believers, yet I actually engaged her on the topic in a non-biased way and just asked her all about what she learnt.

I never once said I believed it too be wrong, or told her not to listen to her teachers or Priest. Whatever I think on the subject shouldn't be what she thinks on the subject, I'll let her form her own opinion.

Nor will I march down to the school and demand she be withdrawn from such practices. At the end of the day, it will provide her with a good moral grounding at the very least, regardless whether the stories are true or not.

She will learn in her own good time what to believe and being only 5, she would believe me if I told her I am God. In many way's, I am sure she thinks this anyway
(she asked me to stop it raining the other day!!)

As for the topic, I think the bus driver is entitled to his views, however, he is not within his employment rights to refuse to work based upon an advert on the bus. Such buses carry messages from many faiths, does he worry about blasphemy, idolatry or other such nonsense then? What about adverts from the Army, found on almost every bus in the UK (buses children use too!), would he have the same support from you guys if he was a pacifist and refused to do his job?

What about the people made late by that particular bus failing to turn up? What about their rights? Personal freedom only goes so far until you start to affect other people around you, then you have to start drawing boundaries. If he felt so strongly about this advert, his company would have had an HR department to file a grievance with, whereupon they would probably have re-assigned him with minimal fuss to another route which doesn't carry the advert.

In my line of work, I have to look after a network that ensures the National Grid has control over the flow of electricity. I am strongly against coal and oil power stations. Should I refuse to do my job and cause a power station to go offline, or worse, be damaged by my actions? Of course not, becuasde my personal beliefs are just that and any action I took upon them that impacted the lives of others over steps the mark.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
hehe

Gamergal and RC####

I actually agree with RC####

And thats not to say that RC#### Agrees with me, because i agree with what hes saying and am stating my own opinion.

Gamergal, i get the feeling your atheist but... you should know that People take sides and sides never = 50 50... so someones going to lose, its not about rights, Atheists are gaining ground against religion, and Atheists are some of the dumbest groups because of their lack of respect for fellow mankind, most nutjobs in the Prison system are Atheists, because they dont respect others so they think they are above them and commit crimes. Some of the biggest BIG WIGS in todays society are are atheist (most of them) you know... the guys responsible for the outcome of this economical situation... So rest assured knowing im not Christian but I am spiritual and I beleive in God and i consider if an offense for people to be able to put that sign on a bus, because I KNOW its supposed to be offensive. I dont get bothered by those who dont beleive in God, thats their own spiritual choice, but the odds are that People that dont believe in higher powers, humanity have less respect and are the main downfall of human civilization, bar none.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by rjmelter]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

You are wrong!

It is every Christian's responsibility to educate and spread the word of God's love to humanity. To be associated with these athiestic views goes in direct opposition to this responsibility. I applaud the drivers stance. He displayed a courage that is sadly lacking in many of our christian brothers, even putting his employment at risk.

If my employer ever, EVER, asked me to be part of a message that goes against my beliefs I would (and I have) refused.

Thumbs up to him...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm atheist and I think he has every right to refuse driving the bus and the bus company has every right to fire him for non-professional conduct. The notion that driving a bus makes you a representative to the ads painted on the side of the bus is ridiculous.

The notion that a deity would punish one of his followers for driving a bus with an advertisement that dares to question him/her is equally ridiculous. Would passengers be punished for riding in such a bus? That deity would have to be quite wicked to do so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join