It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Interesting....athiests can demand and sue that GOD be taken out of everything. They can use the excuse of "i'm offended" and pretty much cry and whine to get their way...but when a religious person stands for THEIR right to believe...all of a sudden he is the one that should be punished. I forget...only atheists are allowed to be offended and get results because of it right?

Personally, I think we all have the right to be offended about anyhting we find offensive. I also believe we should all stop being whinny little pansies about it.
You do your cause no good whining and crying about every tiny little battle. "Whaa, the bus said god MIGHT NOT exist" didn't say god doesn't, said MIGHT NOT. bi difference.

Same thing for the atheists that bitch and moan about it "Whaa, the bus said god was gona punish me but i don't believe in god so it shouldn't matter but i'm a whinny little prick whaaaaa"

Seriously, some people need to grow up, grow a pair, and pick their battles a little morcarefully.

To the douche in the story, "Change things for me blah blah blah" quitting your job over your beliefs will send a greater message than crying and saying you don't want to drive a certain bus.

On another note, where greshnik gets that atheim equals communism i don't know, except that maybe because "Them pinko commies are evil and atheists are evil so dad gum it they must all be the same" If anyhting, the right tobe atheist as opposed to everyone has to be the sae would be the sign of a democracy, or at least a democratci republic(very few places have a real democracy)

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
When I saw the title to this post I thought this was going to be another dig at Muslims...

I suspect you're either habouring a paranoid persecution complex or just actively courting victimhood for your own personal religious agenda.

Muslims are far from persecuted in the UK and in fact receive more 'special dispensations' and 'preferential treatment' for their opinions than everybody else put together.

...and how Islam was taking over the UK.

I think many people realise in the UK that its just one section (and not all) muslims
that foster the delusional cult mentality of subservient world domination but you cannot realy blame some British citizens when they look out of their windows and see this:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Leto

See Leto is a good prime example

The driver is not thinking God will punish him, the driver is making a conscious decisinos that he does not want to drive around trying to convince thousands of people that there is no God, or he himself knows what he might do to a bus driver carrying that saying on "his" bus.... altho it isnt his... others are ignorant and wont act accordingly

The DRIVER only wants to DRIVE a bus that is of a positive nature, not this anti religious crap.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

You are wrong!

It is every Christian's responsibility to educate and spread the word of God's love to humanity. To be associated with these athiestic views goes in direct opposition to this responsibility. I applaud the drivers stance. He displayed a courage that is sadly lacking in many of our christian brothers, even putting his employment at risk.

If my employer ever, EVER, asked me to be part of a message that goes against my beliefs I would (and I have) refused.

Thumbs up to him...

Just a thought but couldn't he have said something like "God bless you" to any incoming passenger.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go

This is outrageous. The man should should be fired or suspended. It is his job to drive the bus - not pass judgement on the advertisements it carries.

I can imagine what would happen if I turned up to work one day and refused to do my job based on what someone thought or said or wore!

Christians - literally - get away with murder just because of their religion.

Sickens me that nothing appears to has happened to this man.

Why can some people not even acknowledge alternate viewpoints?

Why on earth should his employers even consider going out of their way to pander to his notions of offending his imaginary friend?

Peace,

MGGG

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-1-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

[snip]

Why wouldn't Christians be allowed to advertise? From what I hear this atheist advertisement came as a protest to the Christian advertisement these buses had. If Christians want their advertisement to be posted on the bus again they can do that, why not?

Mod Edit - removed quoted post that violated T&C.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Just because its his job dosent mean he has to do anything he chose not to do something that offended him. People on this site are always saying people should stand up for there rights and not do things just cause they have to and this man did just that and you jump all over him. If a Jewish man had refused to drive a bus that said there probably was no holocaust what would you say then.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
Just because its his job dosent mean he has to do anything he chose not to do something that offended him. People on this site are always saying people should stand up for there rights and not do things just cause they have to and this man did just that and you jump all over him. If a Jewish man had refused to drive a bus that said there probably was no holocaust what would you say then.

I'd say the same thing I said for this case, he has every right to refuse to drive the bus and the company has every right to fire him. As for this "no holocaust" advertisement I'd think the ad is silly but I'd still drive the bus.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
Gamergal, i get the feeling your atheist but... you should know that People take sides and sides never = 50 50... so someones going to lose, its not about rights, Atheists are gaining ground against religion, and Atheists are some of the dumbest groups because of their lack of respect for fellow mankind, most nutjobs in the Prison system are Atheists, because they dont respect others so they think they are above them and commit crimes. Some of the biggest BIG WIGS in todays society are are atheist (most of them) you know... the guys responsible for the outcome of this economical situation... So rest assured knowing im not Christian but I am spiritual and I beleive in God and i consider if an offense for people to be able to put that sign on a bus, because I KNOW its supposed to be offensive. I dont get bothered by those who dont beleive in God, thats their own spiritual choice, but the odds are that People that dont believe in higher powers, humanity have less respect and are the main downfall of human civilization, bar none.

What a load of tosh. Atheists are now responsible for the "downfall of mankind"? You don't "get bothered by atheists", but you then tar everyone of them with some evil brush of yours?

Looking back through history, up to modern times, some of the most evil, tyranical despots have been religious to the extreme. Should I then assume all religous people are evil? Religion is, throughout history, the biggest cause of human suferring, yet it does good too so you cannot make such generalising statements.

Originally posted by Leto
The notion that a deity would punish one of his followers for driving a bus with an advertisement that dares to question him/her is equally ridiculous. Would passengers be punished for riding in such a bus? That deity would have to be quite wicked to do so.

Indeed
He is supposed to be all forgiving and understanding, isn't he?

Originally posted by rjmelter
The driver is not thinking God will punish him, the driver is making a conscious decisinos that he does not want to drive around trying to convince thousands of people that there is no God, or he himself knows what he might do to a bus driver carrying that saying on "his" bus.... altho it isnt his... others are ignorant and wont act accordingly

The DRIVER only wants to DRIVE a bus that is of a positive nature, not this anti religious crap.

What about atheist drivers who carryer adverts for the Alpha course?

What about pacifists who who carry adverts for the Army?

What about vegans who carry adverts for McDonalds?

Where does it end?

He had a job to do, it didn't directly affect his faith so what's the problem? If he felt his faith was damaged, it couldn't have been that strong anyway.

If it is a Christians mission to spread the word, he could have countered it with a very christian greeting to each passenger.

Does he get offended when a Sikh or Muslim boards his bus, sporting very obvious signs of their faith?

If a Jewish man had refused to drive a bus that said there probably was no holocaust what would you say then.

There are, in the UK, Jewish meat suppliers (and Muslim) who will provide you with Pork products. Just because YOU believe something, doesn't mean you should force those beliefs onto others. Driving a bus with an advert saying there "probably isn't a God", is the same as the previous adverts saying that there is a God and to seek salvation through him.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Your generalization was not based on facts. Children have killed their parents LONG before video games existed and they only hide behind things like that now because people like you tend to believe that the video game is at fault. Your criticism of her post in hypocritical. I could just as easily argue that religious people are factually inclined to push their own beliefs on people. Take the crusades for example.

Godless does not equal moral less. You do not have to believe in a god to have a sense of right and wrong, to believe so would be ignorance. Now back to the topic at hand: I agree with her. People use religion as an excuse for anything these days.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
im glad he did that. would you drive a bus if it say its okay to do drugs or something that you know is not right you have to stand up for what you believe in. dont be a wimp it took courage to do the right thing.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Forcing this man to drive a bus with a saying that goes against his beliefs is forcing someone elses beliefs on him which you said yourself is wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
He shouldn't be forced to drive the bus. There's no conflict there. If he doesn't want to, he shouldn't. My issue here is that, if he's going to refuse to do his job he should expect to be fired. The company shouldn't tiptoe around him just because of his religion. He doesn't want to drive the bus, he can find another job.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Forcing this man to drive a bus with a saying that goes against his beliefs is forcing someone elses beliefs on him which you said yourself is wrong.

liberals only like freedom of speech when they are the ones speaking

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by christianlove
im glad he did that. would you drive a bus if it say its okay to do drugs or something that you know is not right you have to stand up for what you believe in. dont be a wimp it took courage to do the right thing.

Again, thats just a point of view, doesn't make it right. Some people might think taking drugs are acceptable.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

This has nothing to do with being a Christian or religion. God is anything a person wants him/her to be.

In a world that is losing its hope a sign like that is an abomination.

God gives those with nothing hope. Why do atheists want to take someones hope? Because they have none? They want everyone in the same boat as them?

If it is about religious control then how about a message against religion? Why attack peoples hope?

I do not believe in religion, but I do feel God and know what it is to feel the hope God brings to my life. Without God life seems without hope.

Atheism has become its own form of control it seems....its own religion but without God.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If this driver was smart he would keep his opinions to himself and his mouth shut.

Think of all the further FREE advertising this promotion will get from his actions?

Way to go!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Got home to find this thread has gone into overdrive.

As an atheist I'm not suggesting that we take away anyone's hope at all. My problem is that he was allowed to not work because of this. I can see that I've made some enemies on this thread and that's fine, but I really do think that this is just wrong.

To the people saying about refusing to drive buses with adverts on sayong 'have sex with children' or 'drugs are cool - do them!' as an argument - it's a non-starter. The ASA have approved the ad - which would never happen in the other cases.

If an atheist, muslim, buddhist, mormon or scientologist refused to drive a bus advertising the 'Alpha Course' or whatever, I bet they'd be discliplined at the very least.

This is an issue of work to me and real reasons for refusing to do it.

Like a binman refusing to collect a bin becuase it had a sticker on it saying 'L.Ron Hubbard tells the truth.' See my point.

Thanks for the lively discussion on this one.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Atheism has become its own form of control it seems....its own religion but without God.

"Self-Control"....that's a GOOD thing!

And don't you mean the right to NOT have to follow a religion and the freedom to discuss it without automatic oppression from those who do?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join