It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netspeak and ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

ZOMG, for example. No clue.

I think it means Oh My God (no idea why the "z" though).

When the net first became big and I was in high school we always used net speak on things like ICQ (remember that?) and also on my mobile.

But now I think it’s just much easier to type it correctly, online or mobile. Simply because when typing a post I usually run it through MS word first to double check it’s ok and on my mobile I use the T9 automatic dictionary, it’s quicker and get’s it all correct.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

I suppose I just revealed my age, huh? Thanks for the enlightenment. The mystery "Z", a conspirecy maybe? Hmmmm...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Firefox has built-in spell check.

ATS should require everyone to switch to Firefox.

Problem solved. And Microsoft shafted. Two birds killed with one awesome stone.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Yes for alot of people who use "teh" instead of "the" it is being used as netspeak.

For what its worth though, I never intentionally use "netspeak" I have realized after I made a post that I accidently typed "teh" instead of "the"

I always go back and fix it if I notice it. But some times I dont. SO for what its worth If you see me using the netspeak word "teh' just know that its not on purpose and it truly is a typo for me.

That said, netspeak gets on my nerves so much, It makes one look uniltelligent (IMO) and detracts from an otherwise interesting conversation.

On a website such as this, if you want to be taken serious it is not a good idea to use netspeak.

Tell me what thread would you take more seriously?

The one titled "i has nu proofs of teh ufo peoples lawl"

Or " I have uncovered some new evidence suggesting the exsistance of ufo's and intelligent life."

I would click on the latter everytime over the netspeak thread.

So, OP, You are right and wrong, Netspeak has no place on ATS, but often the word "teh" is just a typo.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

U haz gud ?'s lolz. m i rite?

Sorry, had to get it out.

The only time I've noticed people speak like that is if they're a new member. I think through experience, most members learn to use proper words on here.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have zero problem with people typing in netspeak, broken english or even french or spanish. I can use my skillz of deduction or google or babelfish translator and figure it out. I do try to spell correctly, and even look up words I can't spell by the hour. I use BTW (by the way) a lot and a nice ORLY dropped at just the right time can be golden, particularily if there is an appropriate picture to go with it.
This little hub-bub reminds me of the initial reaciton to Elvis. OMG he's shaking his hips!! l337speak is becoming part of the world wide language we all use to communicate. It's a new culture being introduced to your e-towns.
sin,
stikkinikki

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've noticed I've typed "teh" fairly often lately. I accidentally added it to my dictionary by accident, so I miss it fairly often.

To me, it's always been important to type and form a post as carefully as possible, seeing as how i've always had problems talking with folks. Even when I text, I try to use full words as much as possible.

I know it's personal preference, but to me at least, useing a lot of text speech or not showing a effort of utilizing decent grammar and spelling makes it hard for me to take the poster seriously.

It'd be like showing up for a job interview in a old T-shirt, ripped jeans and sneakers.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
kno moar of teh epic lulz? We thinks th@t when u r riteing about NWO Illuminati shape shiftin lizzerds UFOs and alien invasions your not focused on ur keyboard . Spelling does not matter to people who think that the NWO rules the mason world (that will end by 2012) and somewhere in between that teh aliens will come and make a mass contact and/or take over teh soon to be destroyed world (secretly ruled by NWO lizzard people)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Hey, it took me months to get what ROFLMAO means, and now you drop and ORLY on me?

Oh man, this will never end...

Hvis dere ikke slutter å bruke nettspråk, kommer jeg til å skrive kun på norsk heretter!
(If you don't stop using this netspeak, I will write only in Norwegian from now on.)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I might be being uber picky here, but doesn't anyone else find this intensely annoying?

I've found this quite annoying.

I can tolerate the occasional teh, but often have to quickly move away from posts where that image is found.

It is teh personification of annoying.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is the internet which is why people use the netspeak. IF u dont like it u should go to Starbucks and talk about your conspiracy theories untill big brother asks you if your off your meds.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

My avatar and how you feel about it is not the subject of this thread.

If you have a problem with it, you can always u2u me.

And then I can tell you where to go

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungStalin
This is the internet which is why people use the netspeak. IF u dont like it u should go to Starbucks and talk about your conspiracy theories untill big brother asks you if your off your meds.

And what a wonderful ambassador for netspeak you are.

I rest my case.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Takk for din kommentar på ATS tråden om netspeak. ORLY betyr "Oh, really?"

Google: ORLY Owl

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Takk skal du ha! Thanks, stikki! Learned something new, and now I've got one less thing to be confused about. I'm easily confused, you see.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join