It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says Recession Requires Scaling Back Promises

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Just do a search here at the ATS site and find the numerous threads about it.

I'm not going to do a search to prove something that you have asserted and assumed about people. I have been here. I have been reading, not assuming.
I have never seen ONE Obama supporter call him a saint or savior, messiah, or any of the other stupid names you guys come up with.
NOT ONCE!

And yet... you voice your opinions on OUR THOUGHTS as though it's some sort of fact. You want to prove it, you show me. Or else you're just spouting nonsense.

Originally posted by paxnatus
Come on BH! Have you ever uttered one negative thing about the guy?

I have disagreed with him many times on several issues. I have posted about them here. I have written him to tell him that I disagree with his position (and I posted here about it). I have said that he's a politician, not perfect, and that he's a human and stuff like that, but I don't think I've ever criticized what he had on or his hair or anything. What type of "negative thing" are you talking about?

He is absolutely perfect in your eyes!!

No. You are wrong. Check this out: Link

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I've been thinking about this since I was SO disappointed yesterday at Obama's decision to support the FISA Legislation. This (among other things) proves his humanity and that he's not perfect or even a "really great candidate". He's not going to provide what I want for this country.

But as I see it, I have a choice:

1. Four more years of Bush (vote for McCain)
2. Throw my vote to someone who has no chance of winning (write in a person who's not even running)
3. Something different than the last 8 years (vote for Obama)

It's a suck choice and I hate that those are my only choices (to me, not voting is not an option) but that seems to be the reality of it.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He's not perfect. He is a man and a politician. He is not squeaky clean. Yes, I said it... He is NOT a Messiah or savior.
He is, in my opinion, the best person available to accept the crappy job of taking the reins from GW Bush and keep this country from flushing completely down the crapper.

BH Gets Angry with Obama!

BH Tells Obama, Biden: You guys don't "get it"!

Does THAT sound like I think he's absolutely perfect? Face it. You guys are making this crap up!

Edited to add more examples.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The fact is, the desperation of this situation wasn't known when these promises were made.

The desperation of the situation wasn't known? All due repsect but that is just not the case.

Here is a bit of knowledge for anyone wondering... the buybacks on these bad sub-prime loans started as early as late 2006!!!! By February 07 mortgage giants like New Century were shutting their doors reporting disasterous reaction on the markets due to the pooling of bad debt (mortgage loans).

Economists as well as govenrment watch groups have been monitoring our flailing and faltering economy for the better part of four years now with knowledge that there was a massive storm brewing.

How can you say Obama didnt know the severity of the situation?

My position is that Obama and his campaign built an entire campaign based around lies and deceit. They played on the desperation and fear of the mass public. They used Bush's horrid 8 year performance as a back drop to offer change and hope and all of these cute little buzz words, knowing full well that they were to be undeliverable.

It is the same game politicians have been running throughout the history of man kind, over-promise and under-deliver. Say and do anything to get into the position of authority and then do as thou will.

Ever stop and wonder how it was that a completely unqualified and inexperienced individual such as Obama could be nominated and elected to the most powerful seat in the world? It wasnt for his decision making or leadership skills, it wasnt for some impressive track record of public service, it was because he is an excellent orator and a convincing and trustworthy speaker.

They were banking on the fact that he would be able to sell the "big lie" to the common man and being that he was "one of us" he would be able to convince us all to lay down and take it without fuss. The masters of his campaign and rise to power knew what a horrible day lay ahead for this country, they knew we were going bankrupt and desperate times were in the forecast.

So they needed a charming and charismatic salesman to come in and play the savior role. A man who would be above scrutiny and reproach by many. A man who was able to hand us all a handfull of dog crap and tell us it was gold with a straight face. They sold him as the anti-Bush, the messenger of hope and peace. The fact is they have known all along what we are facing, they just didnt want to admit it until after the election had been wrapped up.

We the people fell for it again...hook line and sinker

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hi Flyers, I think some of it was because they are young, and gullible.

[edit on 123131p://bMonday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm not really suprise by this. Maybe I have 't all wrong, maybe he isn't the next Lincoln, but the next FDR considering what times he are having right now. I still believe that much of the infrastructure like roads and Rail will get a boost including new power grid construction. Only time will tell on whether we get new projects or everything is put on hold.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I was waiting for this thread. I didn't read the posts yet but are all the Pro Obamians here with their "give the guy a couple of years before you make assumptions about his character?"

Looks like we didn't even need to give him a single day in office and he already has excuses for not doing what he based his entire campaign on.

Just another lying POS. I truly can't wait for all the "We finally got a real black man representing us" crowd to realize that Obama just played both sides of the race card to his advantage and played everyone like a fiddle.

Gotta give him credit though. he's a good *snip* talker and actor. He fooled the masses and got em all still believing and making excuses for him.

I just hope they wake up one day and come to the realization that he is only a corrupt thieving polotician in it for himself as all the others before him.People actually think he was in it for the betterment of a certain race. How pathetic and closedminded.

I guess the shadow government got tired of playing with white puppets.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I don't think he will break all his promises . He will still find money to go invading foreign nations , no need to worry about him breaking that promise , and I'm sure he will keep his promise to institute a pseudo draft with his Civilian National Security Force too.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The fact is, the desperation of this situation wasn't known when these promises were made.

I fully expect Obama to be like every other politician and neglect some of the more daring promises. But we have to also accept that he is now in a position to know things that he was not aware of before.

While I do agree that every politician does the same, who are any of us to truly know what they have discovered for themselves since winning an election?
Any of us could state any glorious plan we like, but until we have all of the information at our disposal, none of us couldn't guarantee any of it.

I'm not defending him if in fact he's just decided to not pursue some important things, but he didn't know what he does now.

Yea it was!!! Joe Biden Even said somthing bad was going to happen just around this time.

It is starting to make more sense that it is all planned out. How do they get ahim in office? they start the recession....he promises to fix it. They purposely let it go a little worse so they have the excuse of not having to do as much while just pulling us along just enough to still have confidence in our gov.......

And this is just the beginning. Not trying to make stuff up or anything ......just analyzing.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Joe Biden Even said somthing bad was going to happen just around this time.

Do you think this is "the world testing Obama"? You think this is the "generated International crisis" Joe spoke of? Because I believe he said that on October 21, after the financial crisis had already pretty much hit.

It is starting to make more sense that it is all planned out.

It's an intriguing conspiracy theory.

Not trying to make stuff up or anything ......just analyzing.

I hear you.

Look, people can say what they want about Obama (and I will, too.
) But when they start ragging on his supporters (of which I am one), saying we're Obamatrons, brainless, not smart, drinking kool-aid, sheeple and all that other crap I've read in this and a multitude of threads, I'm going to stand up and defend MYSELF with facts and make it clear how they are fantasizing and making stuff up. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, sour grapes or just bad memory, but too many people here are reading something about Obama and then attacking his supporters. And if they want to do that, it's fine. They just need to be aware that I'm probably going to come in and rain on their parade.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This last election was bought, plain and simple. IN the process. Obama took 1 billion dollars out of our economy from those who wanted to support him, and now after elected, before he is in office, he is backing off of his promise and thbse people will be the ones that are affected.

One need not look farther than his cabinet and his Sec State to see the writing on the walls. You cannot make something from nothing.

Did everyone think electing a new president, one who does not have the experience or the political ties, could get anything done? We needed change, not 4 more years of lies. McCain had balls where Obama likes to cave. It is really too bad because Obama had the chance to make a difference, to stand up but in affect it seems is all he wanted was the ability to 'pick and choose' what he comments on (something people said the Bush administration was guilty of) on serious subjects. I mean, to not even be in office and tell people you are not going to do what you promised to me is BS.

get in there and try to make change. This guy has already given up. Pathetic. Also, heads up to Flyer for the Citibank link....

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
For those of you who are interested in what's actually happening instead of the fantasy, Obama is not backing off his promises.

His exact words were: "I want to be realistic here, not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped"

Again, I'm listening to what he's SAYING and not making things up.

Among those items that may have to be DELAYED:

closing Guantanamo
Tossing Don't ask, Don't tell
renegotiating NAFTA
overhauling immigration laws
capping carbon emissions
raising taxes on the wealthy

Economy May Delay Work on Obama’s Campaign Pledges

The priority setting as Inauguration Day approaches offers a window into the emerging presidency, one shaped perhaps less by the campaign he ran than by the troubles he is inheriting. Surrounded by veterans of the Clinton White House, Mr. Obama is determined to avoid the mistakes of the last Democratic transition 16 years ago when secondary issues and a rush for change undercut a new president from the start.

The economic tumult provides Mr. Obama an opportunity as well as a challenge. While he may have to cast aside some of his goals for the moment, the magnitude of the problem awaiting him in the Oval Office has grown so overwhelming that he has a ready reason for delaying or slowing some initiatives. And as he assembles his economic package, he has the chance to tackle some of his highest priorities all at once under the rubric of restoring growth and preparing the nation for the future.

He's setting priorities, being realistic. Thank God we have someone who is so pragmatic.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Lets get something straight. To be hnest we shouldn't bash Just Obama because any president would be doing the same thing.

I think we should be bashing all supporters of both parties. To honestly believe any feces spewed out of the mouth of a politician shows that although you may have degrees and went to fancy ivy league colleges, you haven't an ounce of common sense.

Politics is a game of chess. Played with our lives and our money. If these people truly gave a rats ass about the betterment of the country or the people, they would be working for a solution 24/7 and wouldn't worry about making the loads of cash they do. Nobody cares about YOU or ME. Believe that.

If you're stupid enough to keep giving me money, I'm gonna keep taking it. If you complain to me about it but keep giving, I'm gonna take it. If you kick my teeth in and start taking mine, I'm screwed and won't bother you anymore. WAKE UP.

Ever read the qote in the bible. "A house divided cannot stand?" Take out the load bearing support wall and the house collapses. Same in congress. If Repugnants and Demoncrats were so divided this country would've collapsed long time ago. They wash eachothers backs in the showers regardless of what you think. They own you, Not me cause I don't vote and give someone my blessing to control my life.I'll make my own destiny.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
We have those who voted for him because of the issues.
We have those who voted for him because he was black.
We have like who voted for him because they are party followers.
We have those who voted for him because he can speak well.

He has so far done nothing that I will say is wrong, and I will give the man a chance since he was elected by "the people" (whether you say our votes do not matter, he did obtain popular vote and that is my point).

Maybe after 8 years of a bad republican president and 4 years of a bad democratic president we will find someone in the middle.

The sad thing is that it will never happen because the majority of whites will vote republican for obvious reasons and the majority of minorities will vote democratic/the minority leader for obvious reasons.

The reason I said the previous things is because this just SHOWS his speech was only for persuasion. Just like McCains pick for Palin showed he just wanted a few more votes, no matter how ditsy the VP candidate is.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I was under the impression most of his promised were to bloat government (even more than Bush has) and give everyone cushy, union run government jobs complete with government housing and government healthcare.

What better time to implement all that crap than when a nation is bankrupt?

After all, that's what the New Deal was about, that's what Bush's bailouts have set up and that's what Obama's New New Deal is set to do.

Has it finally dawned on him that a nation of government employees is not unlike drinking your own urine? Sure, there might be some water in there the first couple of times you recycle it but after a few times you're just putting poison in the system and you're setting yourself up to die from one or more of many piss-drinking related ailments.

Maybe he has figured that out. I'm not ready to give him that much credit. He made a fool out of himself and all of his supporters for too long during that campaign that there's no way he's actually come to a reality based conclusion. Unless, of course, all that crap he said to rally the morons was nothing more than lies and poli-speak to get what he wanted. Nah, not the messiah. Couldnt be. He's a lawyer slash politician after all. They dont come more honest than that.

Dude! Thats right on the money! I couldnt have said it better myself. Bada** post man! Thanks

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
My only question is, just how deep does personal sacrifice go? That's more than a little concerning. I'm not usually such a pessimist, but I see Martial Law coming down like a ton of bricks. Anyone?

One more thing. Star and flag the &@^* out of this post!

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Quarantine]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join