It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Says Recession Requires Scaling Back Promises

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Jan. 11 (Bloomberg) -- President-elect Barack Obama said reviving the U.S. economy will require scaling back on his campaign promises and personal sacrifice from all Americans.
www.bloomberg.com...

So, let me understand Obama on this topic. It was the lagging economy and the promises to improve it that got him elected and now the same economy that he promised to change will now limit his promises and result in all of us making sacrifices. No [SNIP].

For all of you hoping for Obama's Universal Healthcare Plan, don't hold your breath. The nation can't afford it. The stimulus plan will suck us dry of all of our imaginary money. I believe Obama will aim for that one in his second term.

Good Luck everybody!! Batten down the hatches we are in for a bumpy ride.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by sanctum]

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Now there's an utter and complete shock.

Who'd have thunk it that a politician would 'renege' on campaign promises. The only thing Obama's got in his favour is that he's got one heck of an excuse for the government of the day to continue bolstering the corporate and financial elite of the country (and abroad as we've come to see in the past four months).

While the folks that brought us into this mess get their cushy bailouts and golden parachutes, we are told that it is time to sacrifice and . . . oops . . . you'll have to wait for things as silly as health care, jobs, food, homes and the like while they make sure those who can already afford those supposed 'extras' that we can do without can continue their lifestyles.

Meet the new boss . . . same as the old boss.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The headline should read; "Shock and Amazement, Stuns The Messiah Followers"

Is Anyone other than Obama himself surprised by this?
“I want to be realistic here, not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped,” Obama said in an interview on ABC’s “This Week” program broadcast this morning. “Everybody’s going to have to give.”

Wonder what dear ole Barry is going to give? Would he consider a personal
salary cut for himself as well as his new administration?

I won't hold my breath!!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I just heard of a potential merger between Citigroup and Morgan Stanley. Hmm...I wonder if any Bailout Dollars will be used in that little venture. I certainly chose the wrong career path.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The fact is, the desperation of this situation wasn't known when these promises were made.

I fully expect Obama to be like every other politician and neglect some of the more daring promises. But we have to also accept that he is now in a position to know things that he was not aware of before.

While I do agree that every politician does the same, who are any of us to truly know what they have discovered for themselves since winning an election?
Any of us could state any glorious plan we like, but until we have all of the information at our disposal, none of us couldn't guarantee any of it.

I'm not defending him if in fact he's just decided to not pursue some important things, but he didn't know what he does now.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It's understandable that there won't be as much money for Obama to spend on his election promises given the current world economic crisis... however...

EVERYBODY saw the writing on the wall a long time ago. Everyone except Obama & friends that is! Why on earth did he overdose everyone on the promises he always knew he could not keep? Why indeed! If Obama & friends didn't know, then the USA has a complete moron about to hop into the drivers seat.

Either way, this does not bode well for Barry! Short sightedness or plain stupidness? Should Ignorance be an option?

YOU be the judge!

IRM

[edit on 12/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I was under the impression most of his promised were to bloat government (even more than Bush has) and give everyone cushy, union run government jobs complete with government housing and government healthcare.

What better time to implement all that crap than when a nation is bankrupt?

After all, that's what the New Deal was about, that's what Bush's bailouts have set up and that's what Obama's New New Deal is set to do.

Has it finally dawned on him that a nation of government employees is not unlike drinking your own urine? Sure, there might be some water in there the first couple of times you recycle it but after a few times you're just putting poison in the system and you're setting yourself up to die from one or more of many piss-drinking related ailments.

Maybe he has figured that out. I'm not ready to give him that much credit. He made a fool out of himself and all of his supporters for too long during that campaign that there's no way he's actually come to a reality based conclusion. Unless, of course, all that crap he said to rally the morons was nothing more than lies and poli-speak to get what he wanted. Nah, not the messiah. Couldnt be. He's a lawyer slash politician after all. They dont come more honest than that.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Interesting and dramatic title.
He actually said:

“I want to be realistic here, not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace we had hoped,” Obama said in an interview on ABC’s “This Week” program broadcast this morning.

This does not surprise me at all. In fact, he warned of this possibility before the election. I guess some of you weren't listening. I was.

Originally posted by jibeho
It was the lagging economy and the promises to improve it that got him elected

Actually, McCain promised to improve the economy, too. So, I'm not buying that Obama's promise to improve the economy is what got him elected.

I believe Obama will aim for that one in his second term.

It's possible. Or in a couple years. This is not a surprise to me. He said the same, himself.

Good Luck everybody!! Batten down the hatches we are in for a bumpy ride.

You got that right! It's been coming for a few years now, and we've predicted it here on ATS, no matter who was our next president. It's good that everyone's realizing that.

Originally posted by paxnatus
The headline should read; "Shock and Amazement, Stuns The Messiah Followers"

Not really, though. Because if his supporters were listening closely to him, they should be aware of the precarious position the country was and is in. I know I'm not shocked to hear that some of the programs won't manifest in the first year or even the first term. I'm not "stunned" at ALL. In fact, read the thread. The only ones who seem shocked are his (and our) critics.

Is Anyone other than Obama himself surprised by this?

I don't think he's surprised either.
As I said above, he warned of it before he was elected.

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
EVERYBODY saw the writing on the wall a long time ago. Everyone except Obama & friends that is!

You are mistaken. What makes you think we didn't see the writing on the wall the same as you did? Especially when he spoke about it himself...

I think you guys would love to see people turning against Obama in droves, but I think you're going to be disappointed. Don't forget, we were listening to his speeches, reading his website. Many of you weren't. That's probably why this is such a shock to you.

Good luck coming to terms with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Its not short-sightedness or stupidity (well, perhaps a little of the latter on the part of the electorate). He ran a great scam and people bought it hook, line and sinker. Its been obvious for months that he was making promises that he had no intention or capability of keeping. And now, we're supposed to buy this latest load of crap? Sure, Barack. Whatever you say.

Its amazing how low he and his supporters are suddenly setting the bar for success now that he's won. Oh wait. No it isn't.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
When are people going to get their heads out of the sand and realize that Obama is no different than any other politician?

Count yourselves in on the group "Swayed Sheeple" catagory. You got glamorized so much by all those smiles and waves behind the podium that you became literally blind and deaf to the real message "Change that cannot happen".

Too late to cry about it now. You wanted it, well you got it. Now deal with it.

We, who saw it from day one, as we did in the years before Bush Jr, tried to warn you, tried to wake you up, tried to tell you what was going to happen, yet no one listened. Here we are again, same song, same dance, same line of BS from a nobody that so many put up onto a pillar of "God" like status and now your false hopes and faiths are being broken even before the almighty false prophet gets to sit in that chair in the White House.

Perhaps next time...if there is a next time...more will listen to the warning and ignore the glitter and glamour Hollywood style politic sales pitching and see the reality and make the real right choices.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 12-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I will just say he isn't the first President elect to promise the world only to lower expectations as he gets closer to taking office. It's all about getting elected.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The fact is, the desperation of this situation wasn't known when these promises were made.

The fact is, the economic situation WAS KNOWN but Obama, like all other politicians, decided to make empty promises anyways in order to get elected.

but he didn't know what he does now.

On some things that's absolutely correct. One look at his face and how he acted right after receiving his first security briefing confirms that.

Originally posted by RFBurns
When are people going to get their heads out of the sand and realize that Obama is no different than any other politician?

Not until they stop drinking the koolaide. The problem is that the koolaide tastes soooooo good that it makes them not care that it's rotting their guts out.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
this is a side issue, but...

Originally posted by jibeho
I just heard of a potential merger between Citigroup and Morgan Stanley. Hmm ...

it is thought that Citigroup holds some $90Trillion of derivatives
it is thought that Morgan-S&C holds $38Trillion in derivatives
~when these two merge, a great ammount of toxic paper will be removed from their off-balance books. The debts so erased will surely benefit
those who orchestrated the deal, to the tune of billions in fees/costs
in lieu of the Bonuses they were denied at year-end.
See- one can always 'get-around' the rules & ethics & congressional guidelines on pay-bonuses-parachutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as for the 'scaling back'... i take those as code words for 'rationing'

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Regarding Obama's little stimulus plan i.e Govt. interference is the only way out of this problem, i.e. Lets make the Govt. even bigger to control the masses, free enterprise and private business.

Here is a great idea that makes Barry's stimulus package look like a pile of snip.

Is there a better idea out there? You bet there is, and it came from the 1st Congressional District of Texas. Congressmen Louie Gohmert notes that the federal government collects about $100 billion in income taxes every month, plus another $60 billion in Social Security and Medicare taxes. If those of you who are government educated have a calculator handy, you’ll see that this adds up to about $160 billion a month. Now if you divide Obama’s proposed $800 billion stimulus plan by $160 billion, you’ll come up with five. This means that our government will collect $800 billion in income and payroll taxes from February through June.

So, Gohmert asks, instead of bureaucrats and politicians deciding how all of this money is going to be spent, why not let the people who actually worked for this cash make their own independent spending decisions for this money. How would you do that? Simple: declare a five-month tax holiday. From February through June everybody keeps their paycheck. No income tax withholding … no payroll taxes. What will the people do with this money? What, are you crazy? They’ll spend it, that’s what. Talk about stimulating the economy!

Is there a detriment to the Gohmert plan? You betcha! And the flaw is fatal. If you declare a full tax holiday people are actually going to figure out how much they earn. No more of this “take home pay” nonsense. You get your whole paycheck. Now just imagine what happens in July with the withholding starts again.

All I can say is wow!!

townhall.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
Citigroup ... Morgan-S&C

Speaking of Obama .. and speaking of banks ... remember this?
Obama sues citibank .

Obama sued Citibank under the CRA - forcing it to make bad loans to people who couldn't pay - affirmative action style lending practices. Part of the reason that this country is in such a mess economically.

Case info - Buycks-Roberson v. Citibank Fed. Sav. Bank Fair Housing/Lending/Insurance Docket / Court 94 C 4094 ( N.D. Ill. ) FH-IL-0011 State/Territory Illinois

Considering that Obama (and his buddies at ACORN) helped to cause this economic mess that we are in - it's impossible to claim that Obama didn't know what was going on in this country economically. He is part of it all.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

How is it that this has been so easilly ignored? Not just by Obama supporters or by the Dems who let Frank and Dodd drive a few nails into the coffin but also by the people who wish to expose these things?

I never ever hear about these things from any MSM news source when they're doing their typical "how'd it come to this" roundtable.

WTF? He cant deny he did it (and doesnt deny it) or the motivations for doing it and he certainly cant deny the end result of these loans when everyday we hear "banks making bad loans led to this" so how the hell is it so easilly ignored by so many?

It's like blaming Germans for the Holocaust and just ignoring Hitler had anything to do with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So, Obama the Super Hero creates his own crisis in advance of his pre-selection to become POTUS. Brilliant!! Hey people of the US, you have never heard of me but, I have the solution to this crisis and the solution to many other problems as well.

"Give me a chance, what have you got to lose" should have been his campaign slogan.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
WOW, how shocking - NOT!!!

Change my azz! There will be no change. He started to backpedal on his "promises" the day he was elected. His team started announcing lowered expectations, realism and the like. Face it, those who voted for Obama thinking that there would be any meaningful change or that they would get theirs were scheistered - plain and simple. Good ole fast-talking Barry promised the sun, moon and stars knowing full well that he could never deliver and also knowing full well that the general electorate would be too stupid to see through the lie. Sadly, it worked.

Get used to being disappointed folks. You will not see see any "Change you can believe in."

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Sorry, when Bush asked for the 700 Billion, desperation became widely known. And Mr. Call Me if you need me knew it. Even then he kept reassuring America that he had the plan to fix it. I realize him lowering expectations is part of the game but he was well aware of the problems that America faced.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Its called MSM...Massive Sheeple Manipulator. And Obama used it to its maximum MSM effectiveness. A fine example of how easy it is to use media to control, manipulate, sway and program sheeple to do what their will desires.

The phrase "bought it hook, line and sinker" is an understatement.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 12-1-2009 by RFBurns]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join