It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British husband told he's too fat to adopt.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Bandaid, You are 20 years old and have hypertension?

And you say you are “healthy for your age”?!!

That guy should lose about 150 pounds. He’s gross. And she isn’t so great either. She’s well on her way to obese,. Give her another 3 years. I’ve seen that happen. Gets out of chair, “huff, puff, huff, puff”. Waddles across room.

This is a very bad influence on the child. Yes, he would get the idea that this is a way of life and he’d be obese too.
A lot of people still equate fat on children as healthy.

Obesity is a behavioral problem.
It is lack of self respect, possibly more like self hatred.
Very rarely is it genetic.

Don’t people have roll models for self image any more or what?
When I was growing up movie stars were image roll models. They were slim, well groomed and well dressed.

I noticed that some people were fat. By the time I was 14 I had set my self image, and except for ageing I have not deviated from it. I’m 5’2” and still weigh 110-112 lb all the time. That image-setting has created an automatic appetite adjustment, or increased/decreased metabolism. I used to eat a bag of Snickers Bars in an after noon, almost everyday, and then go home and eat a whole chicken quarter, a pound of potatoes and ½ pound of veggies.
I didn’t gain weight. My clothes were fitted, so I would have noticed right away.

So to me there is no excuse for anyone to be fat, and the agency did the right thing be refusing this couple.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Being gigantically fat is a sure sign you haven't been "cut" with Grey Alien DNA

So find the Fat people and you can eliminate some of the remaining real 100% humans as a certainty.

Fits right in to everything going on quite nicely if you ask me not much of a surprise here.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Please show me data from some type of family planning agency that shows adopted children are more at risk from becoming overweight, if their adopted parents are overweight. It's a simple request. Don't wave your hands and shrug it off. Prove the claim or retract it.

READ THE POSTS!!!

Why do you keep referring to "ADOPTED" children when it wasn't in any post but your own?

STOP putting words in peoples mouths!.....

YOU are the only one talking about data to support obese parents bringing up ADOPTED children!

READ, Pleeeease!

I'M not AND ImaginaryReality1984 DIDN'T refer to "ADOPTED"

Read, read, or be ignorant!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Tezzajw,

I'm sure you are well aware that no such specific data exists largely because of the privacy laws. However, plenty of data exists on fat parents bringing up fat children. The suggestion does not limit to biological parents explicitly and indeed a lot of the research on this subject is behavioural and psychological rather than genetic so applies to any form of legal custodian of a child. Just as a psychopathic murderer or wife beater would be have a bad effect on the upbringin of a child as a parent, be-it biological or otherwise.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by CloudySkye]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudySkye
I'm sure you are well aware that no such specific data exists largely because of the privacy laws.

Then it's pure speculation that fat adoptive parents will produce fat adopted children.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

It is not at all speculation since the research is not specific to biological parents but parents in general. My point is no research will ever be titled anything to do with adoptive parents because of privacy laws that make it unlikely that a test group of sufficient size of purely adoptive parents could be formed and willingly scrutinized to allow meanigful publication, its easier to do a general parental behavioral study which doesn't not change regardless of whether the parent is biological or not WHICH HAS BEEN DONE. Therfore I submit to you that ANY FAT/OBESE PARENT, BIOLOGICAL OR ADOPTIVE, TENDS TO PROMOTE A FAT/OBESE CHILD AS IS THE RESULT OF MANY BEHAVIOURAL & PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDIES ON THE SUBJECT.

I leave it to you to inform yourself correctly in your own time.

If you could perhaps read beyond the first line of people's posts in future and also perhaps read and UNDERSTAND the rest of their post before selectiveley taking your own argument based on what you want to hear from what they have said.

Anybody can quote what they want to hear, it's a trick most 4 year olds love to do.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

It's hereditary and I'm medication for it thank you very much, I also exercise and diet to maintain the weight I have. I also mentioned in my post that ASIDE from my hypertension I AM a healthy 20 year old. I was born with something I had no control over so sue me.

Aside from that I agree with the rest of your response.

-JR

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Therfore I submit to you that ANY FAT/OBESE PARENT, BIOLOGICAL OR ADOPTIVE, TENDS TO PROMOTE A FAT/OBESE CHILD AS IS THE RESULT OF MANY BEHAVIOURAL & PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDIES ON THE SUBJECT.

I leave it to you to inform yourself correctly in your own time.

I'll leave it to you to supply the data about the adoptive parents raising obese children. Until then, it's a baseless claim.

You're conveniently brushing aside the role that genetics plays in determining the weight a person will be.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm not at all conveniently brushing aside the role that genetics has in obesity. It's obvious that it is a factor, I'm also telling you that it is proven that lifestyle and resulting behavioral and psychological grooming as a result of parenting is a factor that occurs regardless of the genetics. BUT YOU ARENT LISTENING BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

BUT YOU ARENT LISTENING BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO.

How can I believe a claim that obese adoptive parents will likely raise obese adopted children, when no one has presented any data for me to analyse?

Why should I take it on faith, that the claim is correct? It defeats the purpose of critical thinking to believe what you're told, without being able to analyse the evidence.

Show me how obese adoptive parents are more likely to influence the weight of their adopted children, moreso than genetics, using confirmed data.

I don't tend to believe handwaved, generalised statements. Call it ignorance if you like, I'll call it critical thinking.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Okay so I got to page 4 before I had to respond.

His BMI is 42. All he has to do is get it a tiny bit lower and he'd be fine (in the government's eyes anyway. He'd still be pretty unhealthily obese). If he can't muster the energy to do that then why is anyone defending this man?

If he and his wife really wanted a child, he'd be dropping the pounds instead of soaking up the camera time.

I don't care how some of you think society is so unfair to fat people bla bla bla poor them, whatever. If there was an adoption rule that I had to run a marathon to adopt a child, and if I really wanted a child and a family and a person to pour my heart and soul into, you know what? I'd get off my butt and run the freakin' marathon.

And you know what? Those poor obese people that can't help but be obese? Yeah, well, I have to help foot their medical bills and any other associated cost of obesity as a taxpayer! That inevitable 100,000 dollar/pound surgery has gotta be paid for somehow, doesn't it?

So once again, sorry, but I don't feel bad for him or any other obese person that can't take the time to do a minimal amount of effort (working out) for a maximum amount of reward (good health and a CHILD)

Fat is not the new black.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Curses man! I'm not going to write your stinking bibliography for you, I couldn't care less for your ignorance, the work exists as I have stated to you on numerous occasions, if you don't want to look for it then live in ignorance and with any luck it will never effect you or your offspring personally. I'm not going to waste any more of my valuable time other that to repeat my request that you use the many tools available currently at your fingertips and look for it.

The honus is not on me to prove it because I KNOW it is proven , if you are going to make it difficult for yourself then so be it but I'm sure as hell not going to spoon feed you.

Have a good day.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The honus is not on me to prove it because I KNOW it is proven , if you are going to make it difficult for yourself then so be it but I'm sure as hell not going to spoon feed you.

No worries. I'm glad I could quote that.

According to you, it's ok to make a claim, yet fail to support it with evidence. I thought that type of reasoning only happened in the UFO and 9/11 threads.

Can anyone PROVE, with data, that obese adoptive parents will be more likely to raise obese adopted children?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

No worries. I'm glad I could quote that.

According to you, it's ok to make a claim, yet fail to support it with evidence. I thought that type of reasoning only happened in the UFO and 9/11 threads.

Can anyone PROVE, with data, that obese adoptive parents will be more likely to raise obese adopted children?

And yet you won't do your own research when I've done mine. I'm not making a claim because a claim implies that it is of dubious veracity. I'm making a statement because it is TRUE. If you doubt my statement then you can do the research I have already done yourself and if you come up with anything different then feel free to publish a medical paper on it.

In the mean time stop asking other people to do the work you are too lazy to do yourself.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Look I'll even give you a starting point
google

obesity research journal

do the rest yourself

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Guys, I somewhat dislike the idea of obese parents adopting, as well. But if the couple wanting to adopt is wealthy, I think it is great for the child no matter their weight, sexuality or beliefs. A family with a lot of money means that the child will not suffer misery ever, contrary to what would happen if he/she is never adopted.

These rules about weight, gender and health requirements for the couples are unnecessary. The amount of money the couple has should be the only factor to consider.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The kid is better off having a fat dad than no dad at all.

I'm about 2.2 meters/135 kilos - am I too fat to adopt a child? Who gets to decide?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Actually seeing the man, he doesn't appear as big as you'd think.

the video is to the right of the center.
See for yourselves.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The problem is people have no idea what 150 kgs looks like.
Just watching an episode of the Biggest Loser would show what these kind of weights look like. Yeah, it's not too pretty, but these people can still move around and be productive members of society.

I think people start thinking of those really huge folks who can't get in or out of bed without a pulley or who need a wall smashed in for a crane to get them out to go to hospital in an emergency. These people would be in the 300-400kg range.

I have no problem whatsoever with this guy adopting.
I had an uncle who was a big bloke and he was absolutely fabulous with kids and us kids loved him too.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
cant believe how cruel people are to fat people and yes i am one
im 5'11 and weigh 300 pounds
i have weighed that much since high school and still do today at 35
i have tried 100 hundreds of diets without any success
trust me when i tell you i do not eat any more than anyone else and i infact probably eat a surprising amount less than most
still he weigh does not go away you would think that weight would slow me down but infact anyone i know would not say im lazy and most know that they cant even keep up to me

in fact ill bet you money i can beat anyone of you skinny vegetarians in a foot race to think that 300 to 330 range is a real problem is stupid
i mean maybe if your four and a half feet tall but to someone that has been that heavy most of there life it isnt a death sentence like you talk
i dont get sick and i am not a burden to your tax dollar either i maybe get a cold or flu once a year and miss 3-4 days a year of work
im not saying thats the case for all heavy people but i sure dont think thats all that valid a reason to deny someone being a parent

i also guess that being fat is the new black sure seems to be a perfect reason for alot of people to express there views and there pretty cruel

and you know what i understand i guess because i have hated fat all my life but no matter what i try i cant seem to loose it but thats okay because at least it provides a thick hide to deflect your cruelity

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
another thing i work in a warehouse and load pallets all day i stack at least 6-10 pallets of merchandise a day each pallet weighing 500-1500 pounds so thats 75,000 pounds a week i can keep up to anyone including 140 pound people no one would ever say i cant do my job
yet the weight does not go away

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join