It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia is the new bully. Why isn't the MSM worried?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

how can you have a democracy with only 1 side?

you need 2 opposing ideas or forces in order to maintain a balance.

it would be fantastic not to repeat the sins of the past, but as we know, humans are stubborn and we will eventually go down the same long road we have travelled before until we are almost wiped out.

as clever as we like to think we are, we always repeat the past

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Right, but the other side of Democracy doesn't need to agree with the West all the time, but I would be hoping for less conflicts in this new century.

Is your idea of world Democracy two nations always going at each other?

We don't have to own Russia. But, I would like to see more cooperation between Russia and us. Same with all of the other states.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

In all honesty, if you want to see that happen there is one thing to do.

Bring every US force home and mind your own business.
small countries will always squabble and fight, but there would be less tension around the world if the USA stopped playing world police.

from my personal experience, people in general are nice until you tell them what to do.
and if the world police stopped policing and started acting more like friends to everyone and not just a chosen few, we may find it is contageious and do away with conflict all together.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

If we leave someone else will take over. Someone else would take over who is probably worse than us. Would you want that? You should think twice before you write us off. We are more important than you think we are.

The league of nations failed because we stopped getting involved in world affairs.

The UN would probably fail if we stopped intervening in world affairs because they are very inefficient with getting anything done about real issues like Darfur.

Would you want us to leave if it meant the collapse of the UN?

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The reason we don't step in (in my uneducated opinion) is that from the time our parents were young America has lived in fear of Russia, the way our children will fear "Terrorists". Plus the whole nuclear capability makes them a fearfull foe. I'm a Marine and dude I have no intiontions of pissing them off. Iraq cold winters, I don't care to find out how Russia is during this season.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

The UN would probably fail if we stopped intervening in world affairs because they are very inefficient with getting anything done about real issues like Darfur.

The US has vetoed more bills trying to stop Israel than any other country in the UN.
when you have countries with veto power in the UN it just becomes another toothless tiger.
Has the US power in the UN prevented the supposed accidental bombing and firing upon of UN buildings and compounds in Gaza?

You are talking about Russia as being the big threat and yet you havn't even mentioned China, talk about a capacity to be a world police.
Excuse the gaming terminology, but we would be talking a zerg rush here with nothing to stop it.

Plus China has the US just where it wants it, do you have any idea the amount of US debt China holds
if China calls in its debt, you may just get new landlords

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I'm an newly inspired anti-UN-ist, i've worked with them before and I have a billion and one conspiracy's to touch on with them, for the time being the collapse of the UN would only make the 3rd world countries crying for there acceptence have to stand on their own two feet for once.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

The US has vetoed more bills trying to stop Israel than any other country in the UN.
when you have countries with veto power in the UN it just becomes another toothless tiger.
Has the US power in the UN prevented the supposed accidental bombing and firing upon of UN buildings and compounds in Gaza?

We didn't veto the truce. Get your facts straight. Israel ignored your peace treaty. Shows how effective the UN. Israel is currently working with Egypt on a truce.

You are talking about Russia as being the big threat and yet you havn't even mentioned China, talk about a capacity to be a world police.
Excuse the gaming terminology, but we would be talking a zerg rush here with nothing to stop it.

I was mainly talking about Russia because that's what was relevant to my thread at hand. Russia is the new kid on the block. They have wanted to return to their status that they've had during the Cold War days for quite some time.

Plus China has the US just where it wants it, do you have any idea the amount of US debt China holds
if China calls in its debt, you may just get new landlords

One of the neocon's policy is to pay for wars by borrowing money from China. Democrats tend to want to tax and spend to pay for things like wars. Yes, the Bush administration borrowed a lot from China, but that's just Bush. He isn't entirely representative of the US. You see.

reply to post by killacaboose

Could you elaborate?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

the Bush administration borrowed a lot from China, but that's just Bush. He isn't entirely representative of the US. You see.

so the leader of your country for the last 8 years is not entirely a representative of the US ?

are you saying Bush took a personal loan from China and said he was good for it?

I think I may just back away slowy now and try not to make eye contact.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Do you really think that most of us approve of him? He has like a 27% approval rating over here. He is hardly representative of us... he is even hardly representative of the conservatives here. He just borrowed from China because there wasn't enough money to go around. Go figure.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

A two term President, not just a one term President, but a 2 term President, obviously he was popular at one stage and during that time and for the last 8 years he has been the representative of the US people, he borrowed the money in the name of the US people, not for his pocket, but to fund a war for the oil that was going to pay for itself.

The US people are in debt for generations to pay the interest on the debt alone.
China will not be asking Bush for the money, they will be putting out their hand from the current President and American people to pay.
When people are in so much debt they then become slaves to the debt.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Russia is today a democracy, it's not a perfect democracy, but who is?
I don't understand this term"DEMOCRACY" why not just call it freedom.

Russians enjoy today basic freedoms just like in the US, from time to time the states puts in it's hidden hand, just like in the US.

The Soviet Union is long gone, wake up people.
Russia has it's interests on an international level just like the US.
In the freedoms of individuals there is not that much of a difference between someone living in the US and someone living in Russia.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

If Vladimir Putin continues to rule over Russia it will never be a Democracy again. Hello, WAKE UP!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Russia is the new bully. Why isn't the MSM worried?

The question posed in the OP.

The answer?
Because the US already gives them more headlines than they have room for.

Russia makes alliances.

The US invades.

Simple really.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join