It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia is the new bully. Why isn't the MSM worried?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I find it funny how lots of people used to complain about us being the big bully and now Russia's doing it and they're getting a lot of flack from our critics here but Russia's supporters seem to sympathize with all of their actions. If we cut off gas to another nation it would just be a sign of our aggression but since Russia did it suddenly it's good and they're right to do it? I don't understand this. What implications do you think this will have for the war on terror?

Unless we can somehow oust PUtin and get Russia back to its senses (not as a puppet per say) I don't think the war on terror will ever end. Russia at this pace is on the road to becoming a rogue nation that gets in the way of the international community. They have taken a 180 degree reverse turn from the foreign policy goals which we wanted to establish to fight the war on terror with, now they're abetting terrorists in Iran, but no one wants to say that, they're trying to hurt Europe with their own terrorism by cutting off gas to them, I think I can safely say that this resurging Russia has become the new bully in town. I don't see why people are afraid of Russia. They would rather focus on the casualties of war in Israel than focus on countries in Europe which people here don't care much about that have gotten their gas cut off to them.

I think the Putin regime is dangerous. Something needs to be done. I'm sure the rest of the world would love to blame Bush or our government's intervention for this but the matter of the fact is that Putin is in control of himself and his country. So... why isn't the MSM or anyone speaking out about Russia?

They're completely dodging the problem at hand. They're cowards. They don't want to upset people in fear that we'll create another cold war, but, they're letting Russia defeat us by not talking about it and not addressing the problem at hand. Our national security team is probably working at containing Russia right now.

That's not my worry. Why aren't more people speaking out about it? The truth about it must be heard.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Russia cuts off gas because the Ukraine didn't pay their bills. Capitalism,

Russia sells stuff to Iran. Capitalism.

Russia makes a crapload of money from oil. Capitalism.

I don't see the problem?

It's hard to let go of the "Red Menace" mentality.

But hey you've got the "evil terrorists", I'm sure they will do until something else can be rounded up by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Which terrorists are russia abetting in Iran?

Surely not the US sponsored and supplied terror groups trying to overturn a democratically elected government, and return to a puppet government like the shah?

Don't forget that the US (until 1979) was supplying Iran with the technology to build nuclear reactors - until the puppet government was kicked out and CIA trained torturers SAVAK were disbanded, then and only then they became the bad guys.

Russia has good relationas with Iran, so why shouldn't they supply them with what they want.

Could it be because the US doesn't like anyone else but them to make money?

At least Russia isn't interfering to the same extent the US does - they just want to make a bit of money, which is the name of the (western) game.

Also, why are you not speaking about the UK using anti terror laws to freeze Icelandic bank accounts in the UK?
This came about because Brown ordered councils to find the highest paying accounts they could find, then when the banks went under in Iceland, Brown used innappropriate legislation to steal the money back.

If Ukraine can't pay their bills, they shouldn't be asking for credit - why should russia carry them?
They have economic problems of their own - if other countries pay their bills there wouldn't be a problem.

The US always promoted unbridled capitalism - why moan when someone else practices it?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As neighboring country citizen, after visited tens of times in their country, done business, party, even driven with T-80 tank in their base... And as civilian and finnish soldier I want to say;

- Russia is opportunity, not threat
- Putin havent done any hostile movement against our country, but opposite
- Russian people are ok with their government, and country is safe
- Russia is more capitalist than other European country or USA ever
- Politics and diplomacy, foreign issues are well handed in country
- Russian lady is very beautiful and sophisticated creature

I have no bad word from country. Nobody, no place is perfect, but mainly everything have gone to good direction, and there lives very powerful and smart peoples who have good educational level and very good culturical - artistic education.

Yes we fight against USSR in WW2, not Russia - and there is great difference.

Russia is what they are - Two headed eagle. They can be your best friend, or worst enemy - and that is up to them. Their clever diplomacy is always two sworded, you never can know what they are - friend or foe - they can decide that them self. They are great sovereign state.

Never underestimate Russia - Its descendant of eastern Rome.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

I have reason to believe that Russia has interests in being a bully here.

They have wanted to regain their strength to be at the level of the cold war for quite some time. This task has been one of Putin's agenda (apparently) since he attained office there.

We seem to have normalized our relationships with Russia, FOR NOW, but, who knows which country Russia will invade next?

I believe Georgia is the first nation to be invaded. More are coming. That is what I believe.

Russia is trying to stretch its influence. I just am worried that they might try to pull something funny and try to make a power move that would put us under their grip.

Since you neighbor the Russians... you probably understand what went on in the cold war and why we feared Russia. What we fear as a whole is that Russia is basically expanding their influence to gain power and exert it and force Europe nations and force other nations into doing what it wants. We don't exactly do that... but I think the fear is that we fear they may try to go back to their old ways.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
again all that garbage propaganda about russia "invading" georgia. Read a little bit! Russia entered ossetia in defence from georgian aggression, despite what the mainstream media said. Anyone and everyone who reads independent news sites knew this the day of russias interventions, which was over 24 hours AFTER georgia was bombing and shooting civilians and innocents. Stop promoting this propaganda garbage, and trying to instill hatred or fear through lies and deceipt!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

South Osettia was part of Georgia before ANYWAYS... but all Russia wanted to do is to take it over and then didn't you notice how quickly they toured all of those nations and they put warships in our backyard? It may be propaganda but Russia clearly is at it again. I am just worried that Russia may go back to their old ways. Putin is their leader. I've always had a theory that since Putin was Ex KGB he has a plan to get their policy back to the cold war days. Maybe it's propaganda but it has truth to it.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
delete - multiple post glitch

[edit on 9-1-2009 by maloy]

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

God Microsoft Vista is messed up. I blame Bill Gates for this glitch.

link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
now Russia's doing it and they're getting a lot of flack from our critics here but Russia's supporters seem to sympathize with all of their actions.

Critics have an agenda - they will criticize Russia regardless of what it does. It is their job.

If we cut off gas to another nation it would just be a sign of our aggression

If you cut off gas to another nation that is not paying for that gas, that would be being fair. It would also be a natural capitalist action.

but since Russia did it suddenly it's good and they're right to do it?

Yes. What is so wrong with cutting off supplies for non-payment?

Unless we can somehow oust PUtin and get Russia back to its senses

You talk like that and then you wonder why much of the world sees U.S. as a bully? YOU ousting Putin? Exactly how would that work? You are saying you think US should help oust a democratically elected popular leader, in order to further its own goals in the War of Terror? Sorry, but that is pure ignorance.

How about Russia oust Obama in order to get US back to its senses?

I don't think the war on terror will ever end.

It will never end, because it has unachievable goals. These goals are not meant to make U.S. or world safer - they are meant to cater to special interest groups like defense contractors and energy conglomerates. Russia has nothing to do with it.

Russia at this pace is on the road to becoming a rogue nation that gets in the way of the international community.

US at this pace is on the road to becoming a rogue nation that gets in the way of the international community.

They have taken a 180 degree reverse turn from the foreign policy goals which we wanted to establish to fight the war on terror with

These were you policy goals, not Russia's. Why in the hell's name would Russia want to follow U.S.'s policy goals?

now they're abetting terrorists in Iran

The Iranian government is not recognized as a terrorist entity by anyone in the world.

but no one wants to say that, they're trying to hurt Europe with their own terrorism by cutting off gas to them

Since when does capitalism = terrorism. When your home has electricity shut off because you haven't paid the bills, is that terrorism?

I think I can safely say that this resurging Russia has become the new bully in town.

And I can safely say you are mistaken.

They would rather focus on the casualties of war in Israel than focus on countries in Europe which people here don't care much about that have gotten their gas cut off to them.

European customers have gas shortages because of Ukraine's actions. Ukrainian government has shut down all pumping stations for the pipeline. Russia is not to blame for these actions.

I think the Putin regime is dangerous. Something needs to be done.

Medvedev is a democratically elected leader, and so is Putin. Both are popular in Russia, and have the support of the majority of people. What do you want to do, spit democracy in the face? US wanted Russia to be democratic during Soviet times. Now it is. US wanted Russia to be capitalist. Now it is. There is just no satisfying some people.

Our national security team is probably working at containing Russia right now.

That's not my worry. Why aren't more people speaking out about it? The truth about it must be heard.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

South Osettia was part of Georgia before ANYWAYS...

Get a history book on Georgia and North Caucasus. Ossetia existed as a distinct entity for many centuries, periodically alternating between being part of Georgian kingdom and being independent.

but all Russia wanted to do is to take it over

If Russia wanted to take it over - it would have done so during the first Ossetian war in 1992. That didn't happen. Instead Russia mediated the conflict and helped establish a ceasefire.

and then didn't you notice how quickly they toured all of those nations and they put warships in our backyard?

Venezuela's waters is not your back yard. It is Venezuela's back yard. Or do you see US as an empire with an entire hemisphere as your "backyard"? Venezuela is a sovereign entity, and Russian exercises were held in international waters.

I am just worried that Russia may go back to their old ways.

You mean the days of the early Russian empire - fighting against the invading Mongols?

Or the days of the global emegence of the Russian empire - fighting against the turks?

Or the late days of Russian empire - fighting the imperialistic powers of Britain and France?

Or the final days of Russian empire fighting against the Bolshevik revolutionaries?

You have to be more specific about what "old ways" mean.

I've always had a theory that since Putin was Ex KGB he has a plan to get their policy back to the cold war days.

KGB didn't have a policy. The Communist party of the Soviet Union had a policy - and KGB was subordinate to that policy.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I don't have much to add to this thread. Firstly, they cut the gas off because they're not paying their bills. This is normal in life for your average person to your corporate company. Don't pay, get cut off.

Secondly, don't take this personally, but judging by your post, you're are completely brain washed by the western media.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Don't take this personally... but judging from your post I would think that you're brainwashed by all of this Russian propaganda.

Do you see my point?

Russian propaganda is making you think that Russia is not the aggressor.

Russia is just back to their old tricks again and they need to be stopped.

Russia isn't stupid. They know the world is going through a tough economic time. They are just doing this to take advantage of Europe. It's a power play that's all.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
people often name anything they disagree with as "propaganda". Strangely enough i find it is often easy to recognize propaganda by several characteristics. Prime among them is that propaganda is something you are INUNDATED with, as that is one of the main forces pushing propaganda, proliferation and repitition. As you have perhaps noticed, our ideas of the situation in georgia, ie the TRUTH, are not there and easily accessable and available to the average person, indeed you actually have to seek out this info, in a similar way in which you often have to seek to find the TRUTH. Now, if i may ask....how available is the info that "russia invaded georgia"....or that "iraq has weapons of mass destruction"....or that "iran is actively producing nuclear weapons".....

See my point??

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join