It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take a deep breath, and consider how we post...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Because of the recent increase in hostilities in the middle east, specifically the long-standing Israeli/Plaestinian conflict, there has been a marked increase in hostility reflected in some posts on AboveTopSecret.com.

Some of this increased hostility is certainly attributable to the intense multi-facted passions inherent in the long-standing disputes and hatreds of the region.

A portion of the increased hostility is also, unfortunately, related to intolerance of a particular religion and/or race.

I need to take this time to remind all of our members that we strive to seek the higher-ground of discussion here on AboveTopSecret.com.

We encourage critical analysis of the policies of governments.

We discourage ethnic bias.

We understand that a harsh opinion of the policies of a government likely do not extend to the race of people governed.

We expect that members do not insult each other, even in the context of a highly passionate topic.

We understand, and tolerate as best we can, pointed exchanges within the context of a highly passionate topic.

We do not, and will not, understand blanket insults thrown in the general direction of all those of a certain ethic group and/or religion.

As you engage in collaborative discussion of the problems currently faced by the people of Gaza and Israel as a result of the actions of those in power in Government, Religious Leadership, and Regional Authorities, please keep our spirit of intent in mind.

From this point forward, any contributions from members on the topic currently dominating middle east discussion that beyond the boundaries discussed outlined here is subject to immediate removal... and repeated removals of a member's posts will result in account termination.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation in ensuring that discussion here on ATS remains focused on the issues, is collaborative, and is intended for the mutual education of our members and readers.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Can we stick 'em all one one thread - like with the Obama birth certificate thread - and say ... Discuss the war in Gaza HERE ONLY?

As one other ATSer said (paraphrase) about the Gaza war - 'every time someone farts in a foxhole someone at ATS starts a thread about it'.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Can we stick 'em all one one thread - like with the Obama birth certificate thread - and say ... Discuss the war in Gaza HERE ONLY?

I think there are too many angles and stories within this issue for a single-thread approach.

We are, however, considering a dedicated forum if it appears to be a long-term topic.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thank you for the reminder Skeptic.

I doubt the hostile ones will be satisfied though.

I'm not naming names, but some will see any post removal as politically correct censorship. Others will see the very fact that criticism is allowed as racism.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I think there are too many angles and stories within this issue for a single-thread approach.

We are, however, considering a dedicated forum if it appears to be a long-term topic.

If I may throw me .02 in, I think that is great idea.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks Skeptic, I felt this was really necessary.
@Flyersfan, perhaps one thread can be made to discuss who is to blame in order to keep the other threads ''clean''. Some members seem to find it necessary to derail every thread into a trolling Hamas-is-to-blame and Israel-is-to-blame topic.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Sanity once more, thanks. Much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The talking heads are anticipating this to last only a couple of weeks.

link   

We discourage ethic bias.

Not to be a smart ass, as in an intelligent donkey, but do you mean "ethnic" bias? If not what exactly do you mean by ethic bias?

Regardless, thanks for keeping things civil!

As one other ATSer said (paraphrase) about the Gaza war - 'every time someone farts in a foxhole someone at ATS starts a thread about it'.

There is too much to the topic to have a single thread dedicated to it. Sure I could see a single thread on the happenings of this current hot-conflict, but there is simply too much to discuss.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by Animal]

link   
Good topic, well said!!

LMAO!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
From Mvd2

Some members seem to find it necessary to derail every thread into a trolling Hamas-is-to-blame and Israel-is-to-blame topic.

That's what I mean. Someone starts a thread every time a bomb falls or a new video comes out. Then all the same people show up saying the same exact things they said on a dozen other threads.

It's all repeated - just under a new thread title. Nothing changes and I'm willing to bet no one actually reads what those people are spouting anyways. It's the same thing over and over.

[edit on 1/5/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

before the outgoing resident of 1600 pennsylvania has actually left no doubt

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It looks like it may be a long term topic. The last I heard about the conflict was that there are over 300 people dead over there. Until both countries learn some self control they will be fighting each other for a while.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks Skeptic for addressing this in a timely manner.

I'm looking forward to enjoying all that ATS has to offer instead on constantly trying to find threads that keep falling do to another War Threads appearance.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The talking heads are anticipating this to last only a couple of weeks.

Oh but that wont keep the topic fanatics from posting long after it's done with.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
A dedicated forum to this subject is a great idea. Might we suggest sub-forums that would break up the different perspectives shared? Religion. The conspiracy-theories. Ancient History. 20th Century History. Current News.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I always get a flinch response when that orange U2U buttong glares, thinking that I have crossed a line, difficult at times to percieve or gauge-though clearly stated as to what is offensive or acceptable via the textbook of ATS; and caught myself a whooping.

It is always a relief to see when it is not said beating, errr, I mean, life and behavior modification sociology lesson..

And it is instead a mass mailing, in this case on a topic that I have an opinion on but won't participate due to bias...

and the way all those blatant anti-semetic headers hurt my eyes.

link   
Might I suggest a section dedicated to International Law, the Geneva Conventions, human rights, ethics and morality.

I think these issues effect all of us as world citizens, it will also extend our immediate and day to day expressions of our concerns and commitments to the less fortunate people we witness in the media going through difficult times.

It would also allow members in discussions to reference this built up resource within ATS in our discussions.

Basically it will be a resource that will allow one to examine the bear bones of a position in the context of social contracts, humanitarian principles and the rule of law and expose an attitude of exceptionalism.

link   

I personally think this would be the best idea. There is a forum for Katrina which is somewhat old news at this point. Contrarily, I see the Israeli-Palestinian conflict attracting attention for years to come even if the topic will experience dry spells at times. Its own forum might not be a bad idea in the long run. Just my two humble cents to keep everything organized.

Edit to add: I like someone's idea on the next page, too, about having a forum for all current events dealing with the Middle East. That would be even better due to the broader nature. It would include Israeli and Palestinian/Gaza issues as well as all Middle East topics, which will probably be a hot spot for a long time.

[edit on 1/5/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I feel my ulcers receding even as I type.

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join