It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to be a grammar Nazi for a minute.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
ATS needs more grammar Nazi's!

i agreez... den we can fillup more threds policing spellin rather den deallin wit da issue's

Gude ideaz

Und leaf mine smilies alone

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That's what happens when you don't pay people to run a site
. Ouch, did I say that publicly? I'm just kidding, I love this place! Anyway, I hate grammatical and spelling errors in posts and the like. Get Firefox people! Firefox will, at least, help cure spelling ailments. ATS should hire me, as I'm now an English major

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Achtung! Vorsicht!

Henceforth, forthwith and hither to yon, ATS Big Threads shall be moderated with greater stricticity.

That is all.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Hello

I love that "English" as written language is changing. funny also that it partly seems reflective of centuries past.

Anyone, in my opinion, that is hung up on correct grammar has to take a look inside themselves and ask a few questions as it is quite a personality marker.

as grammar and spelling changes the actual meaning changes little or at all. I think its great! I agree the internet (early chat rooms?) have prompted this but with a lot of muscle thrown in by mobile texters. i cant understand my mum at all when she texts me.

what with little emote icons (is that the right word) the written english is turning hieroglyphicesque (best check the dictionary in this word) . its fascinating to watch and be a part of

david

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Speaking realistically, grammar has been in the hole for years. Ever since the internet and that famous first LOL was sent. New-speak has changed mostly everything, and especially in the english language.

Its evolution of the new global language.

I'd rather talk in grunts.. it'd be easier to understand everyone and there would be no need for small talk.

ugg!

Ugg!! Ugg!! *bash* Ugg?! *runs away*

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Stricter Moderation: Means Moderation will get stricter.

More Strict Moderation: Means that there will be more of the Moderation that is already strict.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Sorry, no. It's Stricticality you're looking for, Majic.

Stricticity = Google hits, zero

Stricticality = 33 hits.

I think the appropriate aphorism is 'Neener, neener'.

HTH.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by drevill

Anyone, in my opinion, that is hung up on correct grammar has to take a look inside themselves and ask a few questions as it is quite a personality marker.

To be fair, if anyone was actually "hung up" on any of this we wouldn't be able to stand it here - or anywhere else on this here innerweb thingamajig. You sound like you're taking the "nazi" reference in the title literally. It should be obvious that we're "having a go" at ourselves while simultaneously venting frustration at an annoyance.

Some people are perfectionists, some don't give a *snip*, and most fall somewhere in between.

Of course I don't really think that anyone at ATS is lacking in the mental capacity to "mind their Ps & Qs".

as grammar and spelling changes the actual meaning changes little or at all.

This is debatable. Like I said, the natural progression of a language is a good thing, but not at the cost of expressiveness. New words make a language grow but when they're forced into the collective vocabulary due to short-lived trends then material produced during those times loses its longevity. It'll sound dated. Certain grammatical distinctions are in place for a reason, and are something that gives a language (and language in general) its power.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, language is spoken first and subsequently written down. Thus, language, one can say, is constantly evolving. We shouldn't, however, abandon fundamental grammatical rules. Now that's being a grammatical Nazi!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Achtung! Vorsicht!

Henceforth, forthwith and hither to yon, ATS Big Threads shall be moderated with greater stricticity.

That is all.

Ach du Lieber

Now THAT is Nazism pure and simple

Ve haf vays of making you post correctly, ja?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Just curious,

Why do the ATS Big Threads say "Subject to more strict moderation" instead of "Subject to stricter moderation?"

[edit on 4-1-2009 by asmeone2]

or in the profile section

(I didn't update this yet.)

instead of

I haven’t updated this yet

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hey man, I live in Detroit, let me tell you compared to most of the people I talk to on a daily basis, ATS and what is written here is Shakespeare!

If a true grammar Nazi ever came to this city, I think their head would explode!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh, cool, a place to gripe about our grammatical pet peeves!

Mine is "I would of done that."

The correct phrase is "I would have done that," which can be abbreviated to "I would've done that," which I know SOUNDS like "I would of done that" when speaking. But it's not!

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join