It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli tank column enters Gaza: witness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

the truth is that they never kept to the ceasfire conditions. they never allowed the humanitarian aid inside the Gaza on the conditions promised. they were all the time shooting the tunnels through which the Palestinians were transporting the food inside of area from Egypt.

this was all made on purpose. the one reason which comes to me as first is that after the starting the strikes on Gaza, Barak's popularity rose the way up. he was going surely to loose his chair in coming elections. and now it looks that he is going to keep it. nice and easy

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
Just a question:

There isn't anyway that this conflict could have the potential to escalate into a WWIII scenario is there?

Its unlikely, unless someone decides to light off a nuclear weapon. If that happens, it might not be a bad idea to crawl into the deepest part of your basement for a few months. It could also happen if the Arab states surrounding Israel decide to launch a combined offensive against them. That might draw in the US, and from there, who knows how it might escalate.

For the most part, though, I think everyone else realizes that the idiots running both sides here are hell-bent on fighting each other and have been for decades. Everyone else will probably stay out of it.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The Nazis re-established Germany as a power in Europe after World War I and all of the penalties they had to pay.

Who decides what democratically elected governments are "right"?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
UK Comedian Paul Kaye shares his views asfter recently staying in Israel with his family, video is at the bottom of the article:

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 3-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ehud Barak Israeli Defense Minister says this will not be short, will not be easy on CNN.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Just a question:

There isn't anyway that this conflict could have the potential to escalate into a WWIII scenario is there?

Yes if they hit Iran or Iran or other Arab states get involved. Te chance of that is about 5% in my opinion, the other arab states don't like Hamas either...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Just a question:

Its unlikely, unless someone decides to light off a nuclear weapon. If that happens, it might not be a bad idea to crawl into the deepest part of your basement for a few months.

Oh no thats Pakistan and India that are going for nuclear armageddon not Israel. Israel wants the land after they are done with their sweep and clear operation in Gaza. It would be hard for Israel to inhabit the newly annexed land after they nuke it. Plus the fallout and prevailing winds would certainly have bad effects against the Israelis to the east of Gaza.

Israel is using it's political muscle more so than it's military to make sure the western world sides with them on this issue. That way they can eradicate all of the people in Gaza and swoop in to take their prize and build settlements in areas they have had under an iron fist for a while now.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You know the Gaza people might have a chance of not getting hurt if they could find an area to bunker down in as close to the gaza wall/barrier near Israel, just due to the fact they are not going to take the chance of accidentally blowing their own barrier apart.

Just a thought when they were saying the people had no where to go. Sure you take the chance of patrols finding you there and might try to shoot you but staying away from the fence just enough to not be determined to be a threat. But that would seem to be the best place other than southern gaza or by the sea.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Can we all take a minute to spare a thought and prayer for the children in Gaza. They ask not for this. No reason is strong enough to be killing the worlds future.

Maybe it is time for mankind to exit and begin again...

Respects

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Iran is not Arab. Iran is Persian.

Syria supports Hamas. Hezbollah provides training and financial support to Hamas.

Israel struggled with Hezbollah in their 34 Day War. Israel struggles with Hamas daily. Any combined effort by Syria, Iran, Hezbollah, and Hamas would ultimately defeat Israel, so long as the United States does not get involved.

It doesn't matter what Arab states do and don't support Hamas because none of them will attack Syria, Iran, Hezbollah, or Hamas in support of Israel.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The Nazis re-established Germany as a power in Europe after World War I and all of the penalties they had to pay.

Who decides what democratically elected governments are "right"?

After the Nazis went into Poland the Allies decided they weren't right.

Bluntly, I would say whoever wins decides who was right. At least that's how history works.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Update: 'We have many, many targets'

The Associated Press reports:

Israeli tanks and infantry entered Gaza after nightfall Saturday, launching a ground offensive that the military said would be a "lengthy operation" in a widening war on Gaza's Hamas rulers.

Heavy gun battles were reported as Israeli tanks and infantry soldiers entered Gaza after dark. The forces stayed close to the border area, witnesses said. Heavy artillery fire hit east of Gaza City in areas where Hamas fighters were deployed.

"We have many, many targets," Israeli military spokeswoman Maj. Avital Leibovich told CNN, adding that Hamas has been digging smuggling tunnels and other facilities. "To my estimation, it will be a lengthy operation," she said.

She said the goal of the operation was to take over the areas used by militants to launch rockets against Israel.

Source

This is gonna be very bloody.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I think its very, very unlikely that this will escalate to the use of nuclear weapons, anyway. I'm simply telling the previous poster that in the unlikely event that it happened, there's a pretty good chance that WW3 would result from it.

I sympathize very mildly with the Israelis, but the truth is, I think both sides deseve plenty of blame for everything that has happened over the years. If these idiots want so badly to kill each other, then I say let them. That's terrible to say, yes, but the only way I think that either side is ever going to learn is for both to suffer the consequences of their actions over all these years.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm watching the CNN live feed right now and a few moments ago the screen lit up so bright I swear I thought somebody had dropped a nuke. Scared the crap out of me.

This is nuts. Completely nuts.

The world would be a better place if the entire middle east were simply gone. Not one good thing has come from there, not one.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

If Iran and Syria get involved, we will get involved and probably with a coalition of some sort. Even if Hezbollah gets involved we will offer intelligence and logistical support.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Christine Ammanpour just made a comment about thousands of troops going across the border as was speaking to the Israeli representative Mark Regev and he did not make the slightest flinch. These are huge numbers. This is terrible to watch this devastation. All they keep saying is how they are justified because of the rocket attacks. Never a mention of the blockades of food and medical aide for the people.

I see this only making the south of Israel less safe and Gaza a blood bath.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Theres a feeling in my gut that this whole Israeli move on Hamas is only a small part of a planned bigger picture. Ive said it since day 1 and the feeling is still there. Western governments like to test the water of concern and reaction in their own citizens.

Ive read quite a few prophecies over the last 18 months, Im sure this probably fits into quite a few of them.

Respects

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Raustin

You don't have to a pick a side, just look at the evidence for the breaking of the ceasefire which had been holding and the side picks itself. Israel was uninterested in keeping the ceasefire intact, they wish to force Hamas to accept a new ceasefire with better terms for Israel.

Israel extended a hand to Hamas to extend the truce/ceasefire. It was Hamas who rejected it and decided to begin launching rockets into Israel. Israel decided to respond to these attacks with an attack of their own. Has it been disproportional? Yes.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If Israel picks its way carefully, it doesn't have to be a bloodbath. If they hole up in the day, and take advantage of their night vision to advance after dark, and slowly advance toward the South, it will be like squeezing a grape.

Or, they can take a mosque, and force Hamas to come to them. In such a manner, civilians and Israeli deaths will be at a minimum.

To take and hold a mosque, Hamas cannot allow that, and will be forced to try to evict them. The Israelis set up good shooting lanes, and the selected slaughter begins.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

IRAN: Hamas has secret anti-Israel weapon in Gaza, cleric says

Hamas possesses a “new weapon” to face Israeli armor in case Israel decides upon a ground invasion into the Gaza Strip, a senior Iranian official and ranking cleric told worshippers in Tehran today.

According to former Iranian president Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani, chairman of Iran's powerful Expediency Council, the advanced weapon would allow the Palestinian militant group to target Israeli tanks “from a long distance.”

Rafsanjani's statement is highly provocative, in tune with a heated Iranian campaign of rhetoric against Israel's Gaza offensive.

It also suggests that Hamas may have stored up the same advanced, portable high-tech anti-tank weapons Hezbollah used to disable Israel's Merkava tanks during the 2006 war between the Shiite militant group and the Jewish State.

U.S. and Israeli officials accuse Iran of providing weapons to Hamas in Gaza, which has been pummeled by six days of Israeli air strikes.

In his Friday prayer sermon, Rafsanjani said Hamas fighters had the ability to beat Israeli in the battlefield:

Source

Interesting. To me it's hard to believe Hamas has AT weapons, but if so, this could very well end up like their battle in Lebanon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join