It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Gutted and Skinned my first deer...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i remeber my first one...punctured the gut...the smelll omg. my old man made me finishish it. i was 12 at the time lol.

it does make u appreciate the kill..the sport is fun, but when u clean it it gives a respect of sorts to the animal. u realize it was a living creature, not meant to die just for your fun, but for your food.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I remember when we were on the Ice Planet....had to use my Light Sabre to cut open the abdomen of the creature I was riding, after it had succombed to the bitter cold, in order to keep myself and Luke SkyWalker alive until we were rescued in the morning....

Of course, it was so disgusting we had no intention of dressing and keeping the meat. Besides, we were seriously over-run by the Imperial Forces and had to fight for our lives...

(Here's a hint: If you have a choice, don't curl up in the small intestines...EXTREMELY smelly!!)...

Oh, if only Sarah Palin had been there! ....or maybe Martha Stewart? SHE could have made something out of it!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Really? The fun part?
Fun to look in the eyes of Bambi and then POW!
How is that fun?

but fun? -
Never fun.

Yes there is a thrill to it, whether it is catching a fish, gigging a frog, flushing a quail or dropping a 14 point buck (you don't drop bambi, he's too small), there is a thrill to it. It cannot be denied, but without respect for the animal it isn't all that. Without respect, it becomes something less.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eaganthorn

eagan....gigging a frog, ($20) flushing a quail, ($100)--- shooting your friend and hunting partner in the face, (priceless!!)

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Well, that's pretty efficient! I would apologize for the misinformation, but hopefully, the message still gets through.

Those who would offend hunters aren't offended to have others butcher their own meat.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

You have to hunt that far in to get away from road hunters..Don't have much of a road system,so you have to get back in aways...One moose is a years worth of meat, along with the salmon I get, keeps me going...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ah, the innocence!!!!

The ability of certain people to miss the irony....it's so, well....'ironic', isn't it???

Probably why humor, especially intelligent humor, only appeals to certain people...one has to know the joke, and the subject, or else they just won't GET the joke.

There is a danger here, of appearing too humble....well, I left my humility at the door!!!! I am full-blown horribly un-politic, from now on!!!

Chew on that, and see how it tastes!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Oh, I agree with you. I wasn't making a point for argument's sake. I was just throwing that in there because I found it disturbing. I only worked live hang for about a month before I quit. I initially took a position on that line because of the pay raise, but good lord, it is horrible.

And for me, it actually makes the process even a little worse. It is getting to the point where the life being taken has become so impersonal that we let machines do it for us.
No wonder this system is falling apart.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beavertrapperak

In a way I envy you. I wish I had a source of salmon fishing in my neck of the woods.
I fish mainly for Walleye, Bass, Catfish and Crappie around here. Walleye and Crappie being my two favorite.
I guess my earlier remark was a little out of line. Sorry about that. I suppose I am just spoiled by our road system here.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Congrats! Those deer steaks can be lean some good fatty bacon wrapped around held in place with a tooth pic adds some fat and flavor.

I think it all depends on how we are brought up. My dad loved to fish but hated to clean them so that was my job. Since I can remember I have always seen how all our foods reach the table milk, butter and cheeses, vegetables and meats, home made breads and pickles yummy! My grandma rendered fat and even made lye soap. By the way my uncle also grew Tobacco we use to pick it and I would like to see someone eat one of those worms
no I don't think I would.

I spent my summers on my uncle's farm I drank raw milk and no I never got TB. The cow was healthy and well cared for. All these things are vital to farmers or those who live off the land. These families very existence depends on their skills it's no joke. When meat is in short supply or the crops don't produce as expected the whole family suffers. They have no qualms in doing what has to be done to ensure their babies have full tummies!

My uncle's family lived this way for generations and it would have killed him to live any other way. To this day I have fond memories of the time I spent on that farm. Even the headless chickens running around we use to giggle and laugh......sorry but it was delicious and that's just what chickens are for!

(edit to add) Regardless whether you are a vegetarian or not everyone likes clean clothes I don't think soap can be made, if lever brothers isn't around, unless you have a lot of animal fat maybe you would prefer to use your own. Think fight club.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Morningglory]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

Originally posted by Apache Kid
congradulations..........make some nice Jerky from the meat and you will really enjoy it.

It is much more personal and you tend to have much more respect for the animal when you are the one taking it and butchering it.

Its the ones that buy the nice sanitary package and eat it that never really appreciate what they are eating.

Very true! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about it.

I'm very interested in making some Jerky of some of it. Got any good recapies?

I had the Loin last night, rub it down with Olive Oil and sprinkle heavy with Basil and Thyme... Searved over wild rice and a cold basil pasta salad on the side... Good eats!

Congrats. Yes, I agree, people that kill and process their own meat do tend to have more respect for animals than those that eat meat and have never seen one killed and processed.

My husband just finished cutting his dear meat up today. He does all his own processing and this fall he shot an elk, a deer and an antelope. They're not all out in the freezer.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn

Yes there is a thrill to it, whether it is catching a fish, gigging a frog, flushing a quail or dropping a 14 point buck (you don't drop bambi, he's too small), there is a thrill to it. It cannot be denied, but without respect for the animal it isn't all that. Without respect, it becomes something less.

How can you have respect for anything that you refer to in this way?
The thrill of the kill? I'm missing something here. I don't see any inkling of respect.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by spinkyboo]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Years ago, back when dirt was invented and I was a teenager, I went rabbit and squirrel hunting. Got back, cleaned a bunch of rabbits and squirrels, and my mom pan-fried them, and we ate them with mashed potatoes, gravy, and I think green beans.

Nothing like fresh meat right on the table.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Certainly no dis respect but yes, you are missing some thing. Mainly the fact we are hunters. its in our primal instincts. A person can in fact have respect for the game and thrill in the kill. If that piece of you is missing I do feel sorry for you. Again no dis respect meant and no malice intended.

Were not talking about whole sale slaughter here. Were talking about taking the few to help the many and using what were taking.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

How can you have respect for anything that you refer to in this way?
The thrill of the kill? I'm missing something here. I don't see any inkling of respect.

It isn't something I can fully explain to you in words, but yes you are missing something.

Perhaps this can help. Fishing.
I love to fish. One day, many years ago on Bob Hall pier at Padre Island I was fishing at the very end of the pier and up until this time the biggest fish I had ever caught was a 24 inch fresh water Pike, but this day something really big hit my line. Bent the rod like it was nothing at all and me with only 20lb test line on the reel. I kept my cool and set my drag and started working this fish, keeping the pressure on the line but not too much pressure as to snap the line, reeling in what I could when I could only to feel him “run” time after time. 75 minutes later, I reeled in a 52 inch Bull Red Drum (redfish), my arms were so tired, they both cramped up like crazy, but there he was this big beautiful fish, that I caught and landed after a long and exhausting fight. And he was beautiful, his golden red scales iridescent in the sun, there was at least 50 people out there on the pier that day, all applauding. Quickly, we took pictures and lowered this mammoth beast back into the water in a net basket and watched over him as he gathered his strength and swam off.
The thrill was in the accomplishment, not everyone has done this, the respect was in that I made sure this creature was safely returned to the water in good condition and health. I even let him keep the bait from my hook, he earned it. If that story doesn’t touch you, I can’t help you but to only let you know you are missing out on some of the best aspects of life.

Hunting is the same way, it is a process of decisions and skill that can reward you with a tasty meal or leave you to go hungry. There are times when I hunt, I basically just watch nature, things must be a certain way before I squeeze that trigger. I never want a creature to suffer and if I can't take him with out him suffering, I don't take him....respect.

I hope this helps you to understand.

[edit on 12/29/2008 by eaganthorn]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

You'll never understand. You're not Klingon. Go back to Vulcan and meditate.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hunting satisfies a primal urge in all male humans. In my case, if not for the opportunity to hunt at least once a year for deer, I think I would go "Crazy Horse" or "Geronimo" on some people!

Congratulations OP on your first kill. This is my buck this year in Iowa. I hope I'm not breaking T&C:

I've been at it a few years!

[edit on 29-12-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

"Hunting satisfies a primal urge in all male Humans.."

YOUR words....yet, that killa from Wasilla, that 'you Betcha' Gal went on and on about how she could shoot, kill and dress a moose....what was her name???? It's on the tip of my tongue....SARAH!!!

Yeah, seems the 'primal urge' exists in the female, as well....

BTW, as a male Human, I have no 'primal urge' to hunt and kill.

With respect, CreeWolf, I disagree with your premise.

Also, with respect....IF it is a matter of hunting in order to feed, well then THAT is the order of nature....it IS survival of the fittest. However, hunting for 'sport'....NOW we've gone into new territory. THAT is just gross, and unnecessary.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Congratulations. I have only done this once, and I will never forget it, for me it was a good thing to learn, but not something I want to do reguarly, I admit to having it proccessed for me, but if need be, I would know how.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I appreciate your opinion. I should also explain to you that hunting for me is a spiritual thing. I wasn't raised "urban" and learned about the "circle of life" through experience rather than watching "The Lion King".

As for Sarah Palin, she probably just does it for sport. What about Hillary and her "pant-suits"? What do you think Cree women did when their mates brought home a moose? Was it already butchered and cut into little neat packaged steaks? Some people its a hobby or "nostalgia"; they just need to prove to themselves that they could survive without all these modern ways of "hunting" in the wilds of the SUPERMARKET.

You're not vegetarian by chance? You probably heard the contemporary popular saying among hunters or seen it on a bumper sticker:

"Vegetarian" is an indian word for "bad hunter".

More animal life is killed harvesting bean sprouts than a hunter who "targets" one particular animal. Think of the poor little bunny rabbits, mice, voles, and other prairie life!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join