Just Gutted and Skinned my first deer...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hi There...

...any chance we can not turn this thread into a debate on the rights, wrongs, morality or immorality of hunting, Hunters, anyone with anything sharper than a partially sharpened pencil...

...please...that would be jolly spiffy...

Cheers muchly.

Mod Edit: Editting myself - and deducted points from myself (I kid you not, I zapped myself points) - for the usage of Caps. My bad. Apologies. Cheers.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by alien]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
HI THERE...

...ANY CHANCE WE CAN NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A DEBATE ON THE RIGHT, WRONGS, MORALITY OR IMMORALITY OF HUNTING, HUNTERS, ANYONE WITH ANYTHING SHARPER THAN A PARTIALLY SHARPENED PENCIL...

...PLEASE...THAT WOULD BE JOLLY SPIFFY...

Cheers muchly.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by alien]

Sure. I'll stay out of it.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
hmm well when I read the title of the thread this morning, i was like... ew thats nothing to be telling everyone about.... urgh...yuck.. who could kill another animal? and I refrained from posting just because I had a contrary opinion.

ha ha then I come in and read it and the Mod has shouted in bold about the very reason I did not post. oh that is funny...

never mind... but yes, good for the OP. Hope you feel wonderful and I hope you cook it up and dress it and eat it.

Don't worry, if I had to survive by killing another animal, well I couldn't do it and I would die and you would live.

But I could eat it if you killed it. ha ha ha
I bet the majority of people in here are against killing animals and yet they go to the supermarket and buy themselves heaps of meat. oh the irony... ha ha ha

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I prefer mine with fava beans and a nice chianti.

My friend Clarice can give you some of my recipes after she puts the lotion in the bucket.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've seen my father and grandfather do it hundreds of times with 6-700lb bull moose, although I've not yet had the pleasure of bagging one and cleaning one myself. Fingers crossed for next season

The smell is really the only unpleasant part.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantum wind
Latter that evening my father in law took me aside and had a long talk with me about what I was feeling.

In my experience, hunters have much more respect for the animals they hunt and for the fragility of nature than most other people. Of course, in the lot you've got a few who kill for the thrill, but for the most part they tend to have a much deeper understanding of nature.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cruzion

They only allow shotgun here for deer..

Uh Oh! Deer slugs out of a 12 gauge? I'd rather run after it with a knife, and risk impalement and lacerations than suffer the shoulder mangling from a slug. I think I would only ever consider slugs if I was Tyranosaur hunting...

Actually, I used a 12gauge Remington 870, firing a Hornady SST shotgun slug. If you seen this round, you would notice it looks a LOT like a bullet from a rifle. Acts like it too. Modern slug technology is far better than it was even 10 years ago. After all, I killed this guy this year and the only thing it did was leave a small hole in his "underarm" area and a hole straight through the heart. Hardly lost any "edible" meat at all!

Iowa only allows shotgun for deer (except a "special" season in the lower 3-tier counties in January). My shoulder only gets to hurting after firing SEVERAL shotgun rounds trying to sight my gun in. During the regular season, you should be only shooting once or twice...if you're doing it right.

Trust me. If you are mangling your shoulder firing a shotgun, then as they say on the internets......Ur' Doin' It Wrong!

[edit on 30-12-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Some of us don't believe killing an animal is an evolved act. Some of us believe killing anything is wrong. Some of us think that all beings are sentient and taking their lives is disrespectful of life. Some of us don't eat meat. Some of us commune with nature without taking from it. Some of us have evolved beyond the egocentricity of killing. Some of us realize that you live by the sword and die by the sword and that we are all food at some level in this universe. Some of us know that others enjoy the power of killing. Some of us forgive those that usurp the peace and freedom of all the creatures on this planet. Some of us here the different drummer of unconditional love. Some of us know we are all at different levels of spiritual evolution. Some of us would never kill even if it meant our own lives.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I myself do not eat meat. If I had to for survival purposes I could and would kill another living creature. Killing one life to feed many is completely ethical. However, I choose not to eat meat because I do not need it to survive in this day and age, and feel as though it would be a waste of another creatures life to feed me. I don't wear leather for the same exact reason. And when I say 'no meat', I mean no living creature, no fish, bird, reptile or mammal. Im really only against suffering and feel that too many animals suffer needlessly for our greed. On the flip side, hunting is a great way to feed your family and yourself. When you hunt, you are generally hunting an animal that was able to live free its whole life. Thus the animal did not suffer and its death was probably quick. Im not trying to be offensive in my post, I just wanted to let all of you know that not all animal rights activist are lunatics. I belive that all creatures deserve respect, and shouldn't have to suffer...and if you choose to eat meat, then hunting is the way to go. Most meat purchased in supermarkets and fastfood chains come from animals on factory farms. And on those farms animals are kept in extremely cramped conditions and treated like inanimant objects rather than living breathing lifeforms. Plus factory farming globally is the number one cause of greenhouse gas, not ford pickup trucks. Anyways, just my anonymous two cents.
Happy Holidays to all and peace to all creatures great and small.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I myself do not eat meat. If I had to for survival purposes I could and would kill another living creature. Killing one life to feed many is completely ethical. However, I choose not to eat meat because I do not need it to survive in this day and age, and feel as though it would be a waste of another creatures life to feed me. I don't wear leather for the same exact reason. And when I say 'no meat', I mean no living creature, no fish, bird, reptile or mammal. Im really only against suffering and feel that too many animals suffer needlessly for our greed. On the flip side, hunting is a great way to feed your family and yourself. When you hunt, you are generally hunting an animal that was able to live free its whole life. Thus the animal did not suffer and its death was probably quick. Im not trying to be offensive in my post, I just wanted to let all of you know that not all animal rights activist are lunatics. I belive that all creatures deserve respect, and shouldn't have to suffer...and if you choose to eat meat, then hunting is the way to go. Most meat purchased in supermarkets and fastfood chains come from animals on factory farms. And on those farms animals are kept in extremely cramped conditions and treated like inanimant objects rather than living breathing lifeforms. Plus factory farming globally is the number one cause of greenhouse gas, not ford pickup trucks. Anyways, just my anonymous two cents.
Happy Holidays to all and peace to all creatures great and small.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I'm late in the game on this one, but I do offer my congratulations as well (friends that drop does off on your porch, I need those!)

Echoing what others said, it is indeed a deeply personal affair to gut an animal for food. My first time was 12 and since then I have had to gut and skin quite a few animals. Great skill to have, and you have one less thing to worry about if you one day have to go into the wild to live.

Tell your friends that I don't have a porch, but I do have a patio/balcony and I would be more than happy to take a doe off of their hands if need be.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I do think that using a gun for hunting is unnatural and too easy. If you wanna call your self a hunter use a bow and arrow and perhaps your kill will taste better and it will require you to learn something very challenging. Those who use guns for hunting are not hunters, they are just lazy.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

Nice Deer! In South Africa we used to call that an "Engine Shot". Basically meaning if you hit the deer just behind and below the shoulder area, you will hit a vital organ in the "engine" and kill it. Experienced guys would take a neck shot, but that is tricky!

I hunted Impala, Kudu, Wildebeest and Warthog in South Africa many years ago. Warthog, now that is one tough mother! I've seen a warthog take 4 shots with a 30-06 before finally dropping! That is one animal you don't take lightly. Don't injure him or a buffalo, and track him, without being really on guard!

A friend of mine went hunting with a colleague, and this guy wounded a warthog. He decided to track it down, and out of 'nowhere' this warthog stormed him, and put the 6foot 4inch gut flat on his back (broke a shin bone as well). Luckily it scampered off, but had it laid it's tusks into him, he'd be hurting. That's why you carry a handgun with you on the hunt

I used to hunt Impala and Kudu with a .308 Winchester. Hit em with a solid (not hollow point) in the right place, they die pretty easily and minimal meat damage. Warthog and Wildebeest, I used a .375. Now, even using that the right away, it doesn't take too many shots before your shoulder feels that baby (well, it's the minimal requirement to shoot the big five).

I used to barrel sight that as accurate as possible, before doing the real thing and calibrating rifle and scope at 100 metres. Amazingly, Warthog and Wildebeest meat is really good - when you consider how ugly those suckers look . LOL!

Wildebeest is tricky to shoot, as his hump creates an optical illusion and a lot of people shoot too high in their attempt at a good engine shoot. His heart is only abut 6inches from the bottom, but if you nail him right, the sucker runs for about 10 seconds, and then drops.....

And yes, you have a profoundly deeper respect for an animal once you track it in the African bush, get up close, shoot and kill, and the clean the carcass. It is in somehow a spiritual occasion. You almost connect with that animals soul (sounds freaky, but that's how I felt when looking into their eyes afterward)

I had a friend who had this definition: A hunter is someone who eats what he kills, and uses whatever he can from the animal. A killer is someone who kills and leaves the animal to rot, or gives it to another. He believed you can only be a hunter for yourself (not mine, but that was his).

Oh yes, Elephant meat is also awesome!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
reply to post by Jkd Up

I'm late in the game on this one, but I do offer my congratulations as well (friends that drop does off on your porch, I need those!)

Echoing what others said, it is indeed a deeply personal affair to gut an animal for food. My first time was 12 and since then I have had to gut and skin quite a few animals. Great skill to have, and you have one less thing to worry about if you one day have to go into the wild to live.

Tell your friends that I don't have a porch, but I do have a patio/balcony and I would be more than happy to take a doe off of their hands if need be.

Thank you NITEBOY! It's great to have you here. You're never too late... You're always right on time.

Yeah, those are great friends to have. But I do let them hunt on my many acres so I guess that might have spurred the suprise gift.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

If you're looking in their eyes - you’re not doing it right

You should be looking just behind the shoulder kind'a where you'd tie the girth on your horse.
Just sayin...

And believe it or not it's better for the whole herd to cull a few every year anyway.

Nothing worse than an overpopulated herd - all scrawny sick and dying of hunger and disease.
Take out a few a year and it's overall better for everyone.

I understand your point of view though and respect it even if I might not agree.

*P*E*A*C*E*

[edit on 30-12-2008 by silo13]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

Hunting satisfies a primal urge in all male humans.

Call me Sara, but, it satisfies an urge for women too, believe me.

I've hunted with rifle, pistol, bow (prefer bow) and I can tell you there is n-o-t-h-i-n-g that compares to getting up before dawn is even through sleeping to get yourself out there in the woodsies and ready to go stalking.

Next best thing is sitting around a campfire with a bunch of your friends slicing up the liver and eating a thick slice fresh cooked on a cherry stick with a dash a salt.

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Now, everyone knows that killing the deer is the fun part

Killing a deer is fun?? I have no objection to hunting for the sake of food, but I sure don't consider killing anything fun!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by midiola

Better yet, maybe we could chase them around with sticks. Then when we catch one, we could pummel it with rocks while they writhe around in agony dying a slow death. Make ya feel better about it?

Guns are the quickest and most humane way of killing them. For you to say using a gun is not really "hunting", I imagine YOU have NEVER BEEN HUNTING.

SILO13, I think I LOVE you!

[edit on 30-12-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Now, everyone knows that killing the deer is the fun part

Killing a deer is fun?? I have no objection to hunting for the sake of food, but I sure don't consider killing anything fun!

It's alot more fun than the hours it takes to gut and skin... There is an adrenaline rush out of hunting. Especially the people who stalk and track.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

SILO13, I think I LOVE you!

I agree!

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join