It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

A new satellite-based technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) allows direct and precise measurement of the vertical changes in ground level. This InSAR image of the area around the Yellowstone Caldera (dotted line) shows vertical changes during the 4-year period 1996–2000. The ringed pattern centered northwest of Yellowstone Lake is a prominent area of dome-shaped uplift. Each complete cycle of colors in the color bands represents a little more than one inch (28.3 mm) of vertical change. Yellow triangles are continuous GPS stations; white dots are locations of earthquakes in the period 1996–2000.

So in this picture you can see the uplift changes in ground level from 1996-2000 as well as previous earthquakes in that time frame. Take a look at Yellowstone Lake, quite a few in the same area as the current swarm. Technology is a great advantage to tracking and analyzing the Yellowstone Caldera.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Don't know if it is my pc but on this page i click to go 5 days earlier but the image doesn't show up.
If i take another webi all the image's show up fine.

Are the data from this webi from before 3 days deleted?

@Springheel Jack. But really in the middle of the lake there is no data.
as seen on the image.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by coolvibe]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have been following closely, and documenting on our Experiment in Alternative Methods of EQ Prediction thread, a general increase in geothermal activity in the western U.S. over the past month or so.

I'm not so much worried about Yellowstone blowing, as I am that these swarms of larger mags in other geothermal areas , like The Geysers in northern California, and Tres Pinos, etc., are presaging a large event somewhere in the western U.S. There are swarms lately around volcanoes in California and Nevada that are said to be extinct. Nearly every time I research the area of an EQ swarm, it turns out to be an area with hot springs, etc.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I will say that, according to many, increased geothermal activity usually means at least a moderate EQ coming soon. And I've found this to be generally true in California and Nevada since I've been watching these things.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

My feeling say also.. there is one or two huge one's underway.
The two is for those webbot guys.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I understand that Yellowstone being a supervolcano is unique and that scientists studying it cannot predict 100% what it will do, but they do have previous not so 'small' eruptions to study such as Krakatoa, Helens, Vesuvius, Pinatubo as well as others...I can't see how studying those eruptions would not help them understand the physics of Yellowstone.

Vulcanism looks to me as a being consistent set of physics whether a 'small' volcano or a 'super' volcano. I am by no means an expert but I just don't think that its an apples to oranges comparison, but a marble to bowling ball comparison. Same physics at work just on a much larger scale.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
haha, I really used to believe webots because they were pretty accurate, until the predicted "New madrid" earthquakes that were supposed to happen, but didn't.
Now back on topic.. I agree. There will probably be a bigger earthquake happening soon, with these small ones leading up. I don't think however, that it would be something like a 7.0+... maybe a 5.0-6.5ish...just my guess though.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
when i think of this several things come to mind.

"first by water and last by fire"

ALSO i have had several dreams of lagre brilliant flash coming from the SE of meridian id. That would be the direction of yelow stone. Also ive had dreams of fire and lava while trying to leave idaho.

but of course in those dreams i could fly... and there where massive ash tornadoes......

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

Hey, your listed site is listed as an 'ATTACK SITE' by my security software. No one else click on this, ok?
Just making sure. No one wants a trojan horse.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hmm...ok?

Dreams< RL things...

You crazy man.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

something positive?
well we over in the UK would be ok,

until the ash cloud came over on the winds .......

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have been watching USGS for a good many years now and have never seen such a 'swarm' happening in the lake like this before. Smaller seismic clusters to the NW part of the park. The deformation is in an oblong form from SW to NE with the highest point in the NE.
This swarm with the exception of a small back track is south of that high point and heading (so far) straight for it. It only takes a small chink in the right spot to start a rip as it were.
We have all been watching this and are aware that this is a little(maybe) early on to tell water levels with the lake being so large. However, Has anyone looked to see if there is any correlation in timing between the lake EQ's and Old Faithfuls eruptions? There seems to be a pattern in the timing of the lake EQs. Just curious on your collective thoughts.
Thanks

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Here is a nice video from First Science of a possible eruption:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Anybody else notice how the seismograph lines have been getting thicker over the past few hours? There's not as many big shakes as there were earlier, but their average thickness is increasing. Is that something to worry about?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by huntergatherer
This afternoon and evening there has been 14 quakes at the park. While this may somewhat normal, I dont understand as to why all of these quakes are centered in Yellowstone Lake. Alot of red squares from USGS. Any seismic activity there raises red flags, but this seems to weird.

Well, I'm 90 miles away... I'll let you know if it blows.
Didn't feel anything here, if that matters.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Im not used to friends being in an EQ while on AIM with me. In the last 48 hrs thats what Ive been getting. PA the other night. There is a lot of activity recently. Which swarms as I recall are a precursor to eruptions. Maybe this is a freak incident but anything over a 3 mag does shake the ground quite violently. The depth of those quakes is what bothers me. Thats pretty close to the magma seepage. Seems to me the magmas working its way up. It may harden and keep the eruption from happening, or it may not. Either way good heads up Im watching this.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hmm, very curious... I found this live webcam at old faithful, been watching and have seen the camera shake several times. And keep in mind that old faithful is a pretty good ways west of yellowstone lake.

There's also people out near the geysers?

This is a live streaming webcam, with what appears to be an overdubbed, looping audio stream presentation, because I have heard the same thing repeated now. Check it out:

www.nps.gov...

from

www.nps.gov...

you may need to install the Windows media player 11 plugin for firefox, so follow instructions to install.

So I ask why's the cam shaking periodically? Is that normal prior to old faithful's eruptions or something....? Hope so...

edit: might be the wind...

[edit on 28-12-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by speaknoevil07

No super-volcano has gone off in recorded history.

Known super-volcano explosions:
Estimates of the volume of ejected material are given in parentheses.

VEI 8 eruptions have happened in the following locations.

Lake Taupo, North Island, New Zealand - Oruanui eruption ~26,500 years ago (~1,170 km3)
Lake Toba, Sumatra, Indonesia - ~75,000 years ago (~2,800 km3)
Whakamaru, North Island, New Zealand - Whakamaru Ignimbrite/Mount Curl Tephra ~254,000 years ago (1,200-2,000 km3)[5]
Yellowstone Caldera, Wyoming, United States - 640,000 years ago (1,000 km3)
Island Park Caldera, Idaho/Wyoming, United States - 2.1 million years ago(2,500 km3)
Kilgore Tuff, Idaho, United States - 4.5 million years ago (1,800 km3)
Black Tail Creek, Idaho, United States - 6.6 millions years ago (1,500 km3)
La Garita Caldera, Colorado, United States - Source of the truly enormous eruption of the Fish Canyon Tuff ~27.8 million years ago (~5,000 km3)
The Lake Toba eruption plunged the Earth into a volcanic winter, eradicating an estimated 60%[6][7][8][9][10] of the human population (although humans managed to survive, even in the vicinity of the volcano[11]), and was responsible for the formation of sulfuric acid in the atmosphere.
Information obtained from: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

Yeah, I knew someone would say that....

No super volcano has erupted during MAN's recorded history.

You can't tell me what was involved or the precursors to a 2.8 million year old eruption.

Nice try though.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder why this is not being reported in the news?

After all this isn't breaking news, or is it?!?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

From 2005..

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. - The Yellowstone caldera has been classified a high threat for volcanic eruption, according to a report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Yellowstone ranks 21st most dangerous of the 169 volcano centers in the United States, according to the Geological Survey's first-ever comprehensive review of the nation's volcanoes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

MSNBC

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join