It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Being a newbie to ATS, I am blown away to the response and insite to this thread. I think we need alot more scientific input on this one. I also wonder if anyone knows or cares. WOW!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

From the Yellowstone Volcano Hazard page

Magnitude 4.1 occurred at 05:59 AM on March 25, 2008 (MDT) in Yellowstone National Park
03/25/2008
The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that a light earthquake of magnitude 4.1 occurred at 05:59 AM on March 25, 2008 (MDT) in Yellowstone National Park. The epicenter of the shock was located 29.8 km (18.6 mi) NE of Fishing Bridge, WY. Two earthquakes of magnitude 3.0 or greater have occurred within 25 km of the epicenter of this event since 1962. The largest of these events was a magnitude 3.5 on July 20, 1992, 6.4 km (4.0 mi) NE of Fishing Bridge, WY. No earthquakes of magnitude 4.5 or greater have occurred within 50 km of the epicenter of this event since 1962. This event has been reported felt in Pahaska Tepee, outside the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park and in southwest Montana as well as in western Wyoming.

If I read this correctly, sense 1962 there have been 3 earthquakes of 3.0 or larger in this area and we have had five or six 3.0 or larger in the past 2 days. I think that the current swarm is within that 25 km area but not sure.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well, it depends on who you talk to in the seismology world.

Some say many earthquakes is a good thing to release pressure as you stated.

Others tend to believe they are warning signs of eventual large plate movements.

I personally hope its the first line of thought.

it probably is a bit of both

look im no seismologist, but it doesnt take a grand education to realize that it is probably a "balancing act" of sorts

sometimes, more earthquakes will release the energy building up, avoiding further catasrophy

and other times, there may be so much energy built up, that the pre-cursor earthquakes are actually a warning sign of the "big one" to come

so really, i could see both 1 and 2 being partially true in some sense

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
From the way everyone on this thread is talking about Yellowstone I would have to say that we might be in for an eruption soon.

Yellowstone is one of the many super volcano's around the world. If Yellowstone blows it's top, then the surrounding cites will be destroyed. Then farther out, citizens of other states will have to deal will ash. Then eventually, the rest of the world would have to deal with the effects of the volcano.

There are some people who think that Yellowstone is overdue for an eruption. I must say that I agree because the signs it's been giving off since the early part of this century.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

That information is helpful, thanks. I am reading way too much news to dive that deep in, but we need more research on the swarms that have happened in this area previously, so we can compare their characteristics to what we are seeing now, and then hopefully be able to conclude a bit more confidently that this means nothing. And if we can't, then obviously this means something... Question is...what.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What's going on at Yellowstone?
Well there are these faultlines under the area that cause thousands of quakes a year, but now some of those who have read this thread are feeding their thirst for doom and gloom by sitting there hitting refresh on the the latest quake page hoping there is another to report. I'm guilty too.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

It is ok.
You do not have to Hate to tell me anything.
Just because they have a warning system in place does not mean that they will use it much less know exactly when to.
With a volcano this large, with the potential it has, to say that they would use the system to warn us is... an Oxymoron.
My statement before was tongue-in-cheek.
Sobering reality check for all of us is that we do not know for all our talking and science arm-chairing, for the majority of us, we just don't know and they don't either, when or how bad it will be.
I live in the NW. 'have a major quake waiting to the west of me, Mnt. St Helens, Reiner(lots of deformation happening there for years) to the north, Yellowstone to the east.
You can't stop living but sometimes it is important to know when to crack open a beer and watch a cam...so to speak.
Prepare for what you can , hope for the best .... and hold on tight!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Earlier today there was a 4.5 quake west of Petersville Arkansas and yesterday a 5.0 and a 4.6 near False Pass Ak. As far as tremblers go these 3 quakes are more troubling for those along the New Madrid, because this area doesn't experience the high frequency of quakes that are found around Yellowstone.
Source

[edit on

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Did a little searching and found a discussion going at Godlike Productions about this.

Found this (first post on page 16)

www.godlikeproductions.com...

Re: Magnitude 3.4 to 3.8 many more swarms in the Caldera in Yellowstone lake - YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK Quote

i don't know if any of you followed my thread, 'interesting seismic signal on all Britain's seismic recorders'

[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

basically, what it's about is a strange signal that I spotted on the BGS seismic servers around 16 months back. I have been keeping an eye on it ever since.

well about a week ago, the signal returned again, and I was saving the image as you can see. Then suddenly, the signal disappeared, and ever since the VLP signals have been flatlining. I even caught them CHANGING the charts, as you can see on the last page.

Personally, I was of the opinion what was being picked up by those signals was an harmonic tremor from a MASSIVE magma chamber filling SOMEWHERE on the planet. I did not suspect Yellowstone, I thought it was Chaiten TBH. Or maybe even Toba or Krakatoa, but not Jellystone.

go through the thread(i've been saving images for around a year now) to see some of the images I saved.

do some research on the type of signals shown in the saved charts.

here are two examples.

this one, from December 19th this year

[link to i44.tinypic.com]

and this one, showing one of the charts I saved alongside a comparison USGS chart of types of seismogram signals

[link to i30.tinypic.com]

whatever was being picked up by ALL of Britain's seismic servers, was big, VERY BIG!

Now I'm getting very concerned.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Odd that you bring up UK readings.

A previous poster brought up his father "a prominent UK vulcanologist" recently visited the states to do some "work" for our agencies.

Will check out the thread mentioned.

Might want to check you links as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by smarteye

um.....AK is Alaska, not Arkansas!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

OK so there is a magma chamber filling up. So does this mean that we are in for an eruption in the near future?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I asked my brother about this, and he says it's all bunkum. "Those people need to get a hobby" or something like that.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

I hope someone can answer you on that. I can't. Right now I'm in a worse-case scenario frame of mind waiting for some good news.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

You have to go to the Godlike link and then the others will open from there.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smarteye

Sorry, "AK" is Alaska. Not "AR" for Arkansas.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

All we can do is hope that Yellowstone is not about to erupt. The good thing that would happen if it does, part of the world would be thrown into an induced winter. It's has a scientific name but I can't think of it right now. Anyways, it would help with the climate changes and give Earth a chance to balance out.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarteye
Earlier today there was a 4.5 quake west of Petersville Arkansas and yesterday a 5.0 and a 4.6 near False Pass Ak. As far as tremblers go these 3 quakes are more troubling for those along the New Madrid, because this area doesn't experience the high frequency of quakes that are found around Yellowstone.
Source

You may want to reconsider you concerns about the New Madrid as these earthquakes actually occurred in Alaska (AK) and not Arkansas (AR) and not Arizona (AZ).

No threats at this point...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
i believe 2010 it will blow becaus thats when vancouvers gonna sink, i have many friends who have dreamt about van sinking during a riot, and they are rioting the olympics in 2010, so it would only make sense that all those would tie together, it also matches the 11:11 prophecys and my tarot prophecys.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
i live in the rocky mtns, USA

In the past few months not only have i delved greatly into a spiritual and meditative state (something just "came" over me i really don't know), but have also had this growing urge to get the hell out of this region.

I am moving to the tropics and south america in approx. 7 months.

Also, i was just reading up on the 2012 enigma last night (synchronicity no?) - all of the prophecies etc. - and there is a chance that yellowstone might erupt in the very near future. The shockwave from that would travel and speeds in excess of 200mph and would reach almost to california (traveling SE of course)

Who knows? No doubt - i would buy a filtration mask if you are near yellowstone, and some survival gear if you havent already acquired it.

t

p.s. star and flag!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join