It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 640
<< 637  638  639    641  642  643 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Roald

who knows the last time this thing had a major vei 8 eruption scientists werent here so tec nobody knows.

what id like to do is make a diagram of the magma chamber add the quakes at diff depts and see what we come up with in 3 d . but i dont know how to make one yet

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Roald

And, as it bulges upward, the hot spot expends 10 times more energy by gradually deforming Earth's crust at Yellowstone than by producing earthquakes. So, I'm saying that parts of the caldera are under pressure (read stress) and even "small" quakes weakens the "roof" more than we believe.

Right? Wrong?

I am curious Roald. Where does the figure of 10 times more energy come from, and how does the roof of the chamber deform without causing earthquakes?

I feel you have a bit of a contradiction. You say that the caldera is under pressure but not producing earthquakes, yet you say small quakes weaken the roof.

You should be aware that if the roof is under pressure then the piezo-electric signal should be strong - something I believe you have been/are involved with using a satellite? I would actually like to know how you measure that signal. All earthquakes are as the result of stress, but you only get excessive stress when plates/faults are locked.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Hi, just me checking in again
If you have Google Earth(tm), my little Yellowstoner app will gladly produce a map of any set of quakes in 3D by pretending the ground is 10,000 feet higher than it is. You'll see the quakes floating above the ground, that is. The report generator page has a link on it saying "GoogleEarth (in 3D!)"; clicking that spits out a KML file googleearth can display for whatever quakes were included in the visible report. I don't know of anywhere else on the web where such a thing exists; that's why I made it. Mother of invention and all that...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

ah ok yeah i got google earth on my pc really dont know how to use it well yet but hey ill get around to it later

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

3.4 outside of yellowstone, seems the 7.4 in jap may have triggered some events?? hopefully!!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Interesting. A bit further down the fault lines from the Tetons and all the recent activity.

Supposed to move northwards however!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
blah blah blah, full moon, lunar eclipse, big earthquakes, perhilion- approaching.

lots and lots of rain in california.

january 14 we brush by as close as we can

long long nights

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2007)

I'll see if I can upload or make available some PDF files from University of Utah I have regarding this also.

edit on 24/12/2010 by Roald because: Correcting link

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I don't know if you guys have notice but

Beginning October 1, 2010, the University of Utah Seismograph Stations has reduced the magnitude threshold for public web posting of automated earthquake locations and magnitudes for the Yellowstone region. The new minimum magnitude threshold is M 1.5, reduced from the previous threshold of M 2.5. The new threshold value will allow more earthquake information to be rapidly released to the public and other users. This lower magnitude threshold will be tested during a trial period and may be increased again.

Announcement
University of Utah Seismograph Stations
Released: October 1, 2010 8:00 AM MDT

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
She's just reminding us that she ISN'T asleep!!!

Magnitude 2.4 - local magnitude (Ml)
Time Friday, December 24, 2010 at 2:51:30 AM (MST)
Friday, December 24, 2010 at 9:51:30 (UTC)
Distance from West Yellowstone, MT - 18 km (11 miles) NW (324 degrees)
Island Park, ID - 34 km (21 miles) NNE (14 degrees)
Gardiner, MT - 49 km (31 miles) WSW (237 degrees)
Big Sky, MT - 53 km (33 miles) S (175 degrees)
Boise, ID - 419 km (261 miles) ENE (70 degrees)

Coordinates 44 deg. 47.5 min. N (44.792N), 111 deg. 14.3 min. W (111.238W)
Depth 4.1 km (2.5 miles)
Location Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 19, Nph= 19, Dmin=6 km, Rmss=0.18 sec, Erho=0.8 km, Erzz=1.9 km, Gp=122.4 degrees
Event ID# uu00005196
Additional Information map

LINK

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

On the other hand, we wouldn't have to deal with that silly global warming debate any longer.

Ain't that the truth. I figure we are a giant volcano eruption away from an Ice Age and Yellowstone would certainly fit that description.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
big quake 7.3 Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 13:16:37 UTC

moon

perigee

Dec 25 12:25 368462 km F+4d 4h

within an hour

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Robin, aren't we whithin the time frame that you suspect we will see another swarm at Yellowstone? I noticed yesterday several of the 'double-tap' quakes emerging.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Roald

That would be useful. That Science Daily article tells one nothing.

They should not make statement like the ten times more energy without explaining how they arrive at that conclusion, but then again they are scientists so.............

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It was last month I thought there may be activity but I didn't know what I was talking about. So it's best to ignore me. At the moment if I write, it will be convulsive. All I know is that worldwide quakes at a low point in the fall and recently things have really accelerated. I believe it's due to moon and earth's position. If there's any activity around Yellowstone it's meek and located around Hebgen Lake and south of the Tetons.

Expect a big quake in California in the next two weeks.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

OK Robin,.
the heat is on now,.
you made an unofficial prediction

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It's plain, it's rain,
falls mainly on New Spain.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Huh...well, are you sure about the state?

We've had some weird rumblings up this way today!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

It was last month I thought there may be activity but I didn't know what I was talking about. So it's best to ignore me. At the moment if I write, it will be convulsive. All I know is that worldwide quakes at a low point in the fall and recently things have really accelerated. I believe it's due to moon and earth's position. If there's any activity around Yellowstone it's meek and located around Hebgen Lake and south of the Tetons.

a big quake out in cali within the next two weeks ,,,???

geesh thanks Robin makes me feel all worried as hell i got family out in california .. i only hope its southern cali rather then mid cali or northern cali.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I had to jump on immediately and reply to you. The last thing I want is too needlessly worry anyone. Firstly, I'm no "expert". Secondly, I'm only basing this speculation on the science of water lubricating faultlines. There have been regions which have experienced draught over many years. There has been one rainy break, I think the year before last. Nothing happened during the rains during that period. So, nothing may happen. But if the water from the last rainy season has had time to perculate down to the water table, this may give this last rainfall a saturated zone against which to slip against.

Or the only result may be that the desert will bloom and they'll be a burst of colour when everything rushes to take advantage of the miracle called water.

And if nothing I've said has eased your worry, then take this advice. Be a Boy Scout (or Girl Guide in your particular case) and prepare. Tell your relatives that you worry and ask them to stock up on simple supplies. I'm hoping and assuming that they have already done so because Californians are aware of the risk.

Also, since California is always moving, the stresses are not as extreme as they could be and a major quake probably won't go any higher than a 7 mag. And with building codes much more stricter than Haiti, it will be a relatively minor event.

Westcoast. Something else entirely is happening in the Northwest. It's not at all like California. When the Northwest wakes up it will be big. Real big. But it won't neccessarily be triggered by rain. It rains all the time there, all the way up to Northern BC. I'll stop there. Sorry,

new topics

top topics

<< 637  638  639    641  642  643 >>

join