It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 642
<< 639  640  641    643  644  645 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Thanks for freaking me out LOL

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Well thank you for that input. Your source however is not a credible geological establishment, indeed it is your own web site, and links to another web site which is probably also your own. Nothing credible as far as geology goes there then.

One could say that the statement is BS and...........

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/65fbf83a11eb.jpg[/atsimg]

......It is banned here, but I do thank you for not spouting your usual religious rubbish as I really cannot be bothered chasing you round ATS to see how many more times you have used the same post over and over again.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

No problems. Might take a while for my reply. Are too busy with my simulation and tests here.

I'll try to make this a simplified explanation for those who are not into physics.

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area of contact: [ pressure = force / area ]. Thus, a 100-pound force distributed over an area of 4 square inches exerts a pressure of 25 pounds per square inch. The same force distributed over an area of 1 square inch exerts a pressure of 100 pounds per square inch. For many applications, it is pressure which is the crucial issue. A pound is a modest force, but if distributed over a very small area it may exert a pressure of 100,000 pounds per square inch on that small area. Some materials may not be able to withstand this concentration of force and may give way, even though this same force might not cause any problem when spread over a much larger area (thus producing less pressure).

Hmmm... Hope it made sense.

Crustal deformation monitoring of Yellowstone by precise spirit leveling and more recent Global Positioning System (GPS) and Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR) measurements have shown unprecedented caldera uplift and subsidence during the last 80 years. This caldera-wide deformation includes uplift of up to 1 m from 1923 to 1984 measured by leveling.

B.D.W.
Source modeling of the caldera deformation suggests a near horizontal expanding magma body over an area 40×60 km2, at around 9km beneath the Yellowstone caldera, notably located near the top of the seismically imaged crustal magma chamber. In addition, tens to hundreds of small earthquakes (M

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Heads up Folks!

Rumblings on the Edge of Yellowstone National Park

Thursday, 06 January 2011 09:18

A year since a swarm of earthquakes hit an area right outside Yellowstone National Park, sensors have detected a series of small (under 1.7 on the Richter scale) micro earthquakes in roughly the same area over the last week. Is this just a burp, foretelling of another swarm, or more?

Full Article
edit on 6-1-2011 by Anmarie96 because: sorry about the link - phone call with really bad news just blew my mind

edit on 6-1-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

do you have a link to the page that has a list of seizmos for the area. I remember one being posted before in this thread.

it seems to me that whenever we get a good storm coming in the seizmos all get a little bit of a static look to them.?

could be something, I just want to keep an eye on it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Gotta be a slow news week at the Yellowstone Insider, because what's going on right now is pretty weak even by typical Yellowstone background seismicity standards.

www.seis.utah.edu...

Very ordinary, calm in fact.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

If you have Google Earth download this KMZ files of IRIS seismo locations. There is a specific section with ALL the Yellowstone seismos on it. This will give you the names.

Alternatively Is This Thing On covers everything as well.

Or of course you could consult my seismograms and helicorders page!

edit on 6/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Nice thread, but this calderra last blew off 70 thousand years ago, do you seriously think theres any chance of it blowing in your lifetime? I think the chances are about 0.001%, you probably have more chance to see a flying pig.

oh... and the last full scale eruption was what... 640,000 years ago? You are probably just better off forgetting about this place for the rest of your life because it will never blow, probably for atleast another 100,000 years or more.
edit on 6-1-2011 by EricLintScD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EricLintScD

Basically no, we don't think it will blow in our lifetime, but then again it might. No one, including the experts, can say for certain.

This thread is about understanding, as far as we are able to, the processes that go on in the caldera.

I think the chances are about 0.001%, you probably have more chance to see a flying pig.

I would love to say please produce your sources, but that would be pointless. I personally think that I would rate it a little higher than that, maybe 0.005% on the basis that a squadron of said animals did indeed fly past my window this afternoon. Based on a lifetime of 80 years you are saying that possibly 80,000 years may pass. My 0.005% therefore represents 16,000 years, but I would not be in the least bit surprised at 0.1%, i.e. 800 years.

Edit:

I see you changed your post while I was replying

oh... and the last full scale eruption was what... 640,000 years ago? You are probably just better off forgetting about this place for the rest of your life because it will never blow, probably for atleast another 100,000 years or more.

I would just say here that if everyone took that sort of attitude no one would discover anything about anything. It is only by watching and enquiring that we learn both as individuals and as a community. Just to ignore it because it won't happen in our lifetime is a most unscientific attitude.

You changed your estimate by 20,000 years - not sure if you intended to do that

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Serious Question - if the New Madrid Fault blows up,is it possible that this could affect Yellowstone or other Volcanos?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I understad your points, but i don't see what the benefit is to learning about something that if it did explode we probably wont be alive for much longer, i would love to see this type of thread but rather about Toba, in my honest opinion, toba is more likely to erupt than yellowstone because of all the recent activity around it, ill also post of source for you to read, there are others out there...

www.indiadaily.com...

on top of that, yellowstone is pip squeek compared to toba, yet toba has shown more signs of activity recently.

Kind regards.

Erpic

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Referencing your comment about Yellowstone which was...........

You are probably just better off forgetting about this place for the rest of your life because it will never blow, probably for atleast another 100,000 years or more.

........ you could also say the same about Toba! That is also unlikely to blow in our lifetime, in much the same way that Yellowstone is unlikely to blow.

You might be interested in this thread about Toba

Whilst the Toba eruption 75,000 years ago was, from memory, 2,800 cu km of material, Toba has only had the one known eruption as far as I am aware BUT all of Yellowstone's eruptions have produced in excess of 2,000,000 cu km of material, so who is the baby now? Indeed Huckleberry ridge was around 2,500 cu km so very close behind Toba.

Toba does exhibit some activity in the form of fumaroles but it is nothing by comparison to Yellowstone, It has had many fewer earthquakes and those that occur close to it do so because of the subduction zone close by and not because of the caldera.

I agree Toba will blow sometime in the future but you can apply the same criteria and say we should not bother worrying about it.

Edit:

Wow, I went to the article after I posted this and found my memory is quite good!
That proves it is no 'pip squeak' by comparison to Toba.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I would have to disagree and stick by my guns that Yellowstone is Tobas little sister, do to some of the following facts which are easily accessable online.

Toba ejected 2800 cubic km of magma on its last eruption (Toba had also erupted previously)
Yellowstones Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago ejected 2500

Yellowstone has a maximum capactiy of 25,000 cubic km of magma
Toba has a maximum capacity of 50,000 cubic km of magma

also the floor of toba has lifted 450 metres since the last cataclysmic eruption!

Yellowstone might have released more if you add up all its eruptions, but im talking on a singular scale, Toba is more deadly.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I find it rather humorus that someone can come here and start spouting off about knowing what any
volcano will do,.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
For those of you following the Arkansas wildlife kills, I told you I solved the mystery. And I found another person with the same hypothesis. And it's chock full of information. Best thing I've read yet. It still doesn't give you the exact cause, but they've definately done their homework.

www.thepeoplesvoice.org...

Here's my hypothesis.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yellowstone VS Toba

They're both so big I wouldn't want either of them epurting so I think it's a mute point. They both erupted around 70 000 years ago. But Yellowstone's wasn't a full eruption. So that would make Yellowstone the more likely of the two. And since I live downwind of Yellowstone I'll keep my eye on it.

If you read the article about fracking and it concerns you, what should concern you more is that they are fracking around Yellowstone.

Fracking causes earthquakes. Gas migration into aquifers. = Fiery geysers.

That adds to the risk assessment, so it's Yellowstone that's the most likely. Because I don't think they're drilling around Toba.

Forgot to say, Yet?

edit on 6-1-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
If that super-volcano pops, life itself would get very interesting. It wouldn't be pretty.

On the other hand, we wouldn't have to deal with that silly global warming debate any longer.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Interesting? Have you seen the movie 2012? Turned my life upside down.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Yes, I think one of the first this year is this one:

Version #1: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A micro earthquake occurred at 11:08:46 PM (MST) on Saturday, January 1, 2011.
The magnitude 0.8 event occurred 14 km (8 miles) NW of West Yellowstone, MT.
The hypocentral depth is 9 km ( 6 miles).

Magnitude 0.8 - duration magnitude (Md)

Time Saturday, January 1, 2011 at 11:08:46 PM (MST)
Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 6:08:46 (UTC)

Distance from West Yellowstone, MT - 14 km (8 miles) NW (312 degrees)
Island Park, ID - 28 km (18 miles) NNE (17 degrees)
Gardiner, MT - 52 km (33 miles) SW (232 degrees)
Big Sky, MT - 59 km (36 miles) S (175 degrees)
Salt Lake City, UT - 447 km (278 miles) N (7 degrees)

Coordinates 44 deg. 44.6 min. N (44.744N), 111 deg. 14.1 min. W (111.234W)
Depth 9.2 km (5.7 miles) Location Quality
Good Location Quality Parameters Nst= 16, Nph= 16, Dmin=3.2 km, Rmss=0.13 sec, Erho=0.5 km, Erzz=0.8 km, Gp=115.2 degrees

Event ID# uu00005259

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Well I am not about to get into an argument about "My volcano is bigger that your volcano", but just say all of these are estimates.

Dense-rock equivalent estimates of eruptive volume for the eruption vary between 2,000 km3 and 3,000 km3, but the most frequently quoted DRE is ~2,800 km3

Source: Wikipedia(Sorry)

The 450m rise I am aware and have been for some years, but I do not have a chamber capacity for Toba. Could you provide a link for that please?

You might be interested in this table which lists all main large igneous provinces (LIPs) - flood basalts - and volcanic eruptions. Think of it as a league table for volcanoes. Toba by the way is NOT the biggest by a long way irrespective of whether it is bigger than Yellowstone or not.

You might also find the table of large eruptions from the Smithsonian of interest.

Whilst on the subject of supervolcanoes this (PDF) is also quite good.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
well recording to history... Toba is placed as an medium supervolcano...
beware of the la garita volcano....in colorado...
edit on 7-1-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-1-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Point is that no one here know when any caldera would erupt. Neither do anyone here know if it would be the BIG one or only a "small" blow-out. So why discuss which one is the biggest?

What we know is that since the caldera-forming eruption, 640,000 years ago, approximately 80 relatively nonexplosive eruptions have occurred, and that the most recent volcanic eruption at Yellowstone, a lava flow on the Pitchstone Plateau, occurred 70,000 years ago.

Lets use pure size instead.
The largest known caldera is Yellowstone in USA-WY. Size is 85km x 45km or 3825 sq.km
The second largest known caldera is Toba in Indonesia. Size is 100km x 35km or 3500 sq.km
The third largest known caldera is Garita in USA-CO as faar as I know. Size is 75km x 35km or 2625 sq.km

When it comes to eruption, then I think we have to agree that the great eruption of Toba, in Sumatra, about 71,000 years ago are the biggest one. It produced some 2800 cubic kilometers of ash, and that the biggest eruption at Yellowstone about 2.2 million years ago, produced 2,500 cubic kilometers of ash!

Further more, Lets agree that the largest eruption we have firm evidence for in geologic history is the La Garita Caldera eruption in Colorado, about 28 million years ago, in the Oligocene Epoch. That put 5000 cubic kilometers of lava into play.

Last but not least, the largest volcanic eruption in the history of the Earth were probably the series of eruptions 251 million years ago that created the Siberian Traps, a rock formation in what is now Russia. These eruptions lasted about a million years and released almost enough lava to cover the continent of Australia in a layer 1,000 m deep.
edit on 8/1/2011 by Roald because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 639  640  641    643  644  645 >>

join