It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 606
<< 603  604  605    607  608  609 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks mate

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Edit. I had to check the northern lights again. They've become very intense and I can see greens and blues. (Old Faithful webcam had green clouds when the sun went down) At times the it appears as if they are clouds forming instantly and at other times it's streaks. They are travelling directly overhead and reach fairly far south. I'm on the Can/Am border at 45 degrees. If you live anywhere toward the north you may be able to see them. Well enough of that distraction. But some on here think there is a link with solar activity and I am a witness that there is a definate increase at the moment.

Oh you lucky lucky lucky people!! I am so jealous. We have been longing to see these aurorae but it has just been too cloudy.

Anyway, I digress. On the subject of solar flares affecting earthquakes I do believe there is a connection, and it is something I am actively investigating at this time. These flares hit earth at tremendous speeds. and there is some sort of pressure involved. Any pressure change, be it solar or atmospheric, will have an effect upon the earth. If the density of the column of air above a given area changes then the pressure on the surface must change. If you recall quite some time back in this thread we were talking about a change in pressure and I calculated that the small amount we were talking about related to millions of tons.

One reference back on page 206 I don't think was taken a ny further, but is interesting.

Left turn only observed upon this back on page 505 as well.

What I can't find is the original post where this was discussed.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The Old Faithful live cam is not working, it's just a blue screen. Anyone know how long it's been down?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

Using the same source that Puterman mentioned, there are 3 other
seismometers that are closer to the present activity.

The west boundry YWB here:
www.iris.edu...

Purple Mountain YPM here:
www.iris.edu...

and B207 (B07) here:
www.iris.edu...

This map shows the locations:
www.seis.utah.edu...

Using Firefox I just leave these pages open in separate windows or
separate tabs and hit the refresh button whenever I want to see the
latest data. This source of data is almost real time and has generally
only a few seconds delay. You can see things much sooner than you
can with the UUSS site. Sometimes it is even faster than GEE.
If you see an event starting in GEE you can often click the refresh
button in Firefox and not have to wait so long to see what is happening
next. This does not always work that fast.

These webicorders come from the IRIS QUACK system here:
www.iris.edu...
Using the Explore Data Page. You can go anywhere in the world from
this location, and data is archived, some stations for a week and some
for several months.

Hope this is helpful

[edit on 6-4-2010 by EngTech36]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
The Old Faithful live cam is not working, it's just a blue screen. Anyone know how long it's been down?

No ideas I am afraid, but the non-streaming cam is up.

www.nps.gov...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Mods, I hope that what follows, whilst not specifically on topic, will be judged to be relevant.

Are we amateurs playing geologists?

There has from time to time on this thread been the suggestion that we are not capable of making informed decisions because we are not scientists, that we are just amateurs playing at this; that unless it is peer reviewed documentation in an official journal it is not worth looking at.

What I wish to say is aimed at all of us who dabble, and as a rebuttal to those who sneer. May this be an encouragement to continue.

Peer review

First let me get the peer reviewed stuff out of the way.What ever is posted on this thread is very definitely peer reviewed, have no doubt about that. Where something appears to be wrong it is jumped on. Compare this to the scientific paper which as far as I can judge, is peer reviewed often on the basis that "oh Fred Jones wrote that, yes that must be OK". I look at articles and look at the bibliography and so many many times find that the article is just a rehash of all the others and effectively nothing new has been said. I may be being a but harsh about the peer review out in the scientific world, but equally peer review in here is harsh.

Innovation

In all walks of life there are the innovators/action persons, and the sheeple. Nothing is different with respect to this thread. I am not accusing anyone here of being a sheeple, on the contrary the fact that you are on the thread, or even on ATS, is an indicator that you are definitely not one of the sheeple. Lots of good ideas come up here and lots of more way out 'Robinesque' ideas, and this is good. Without new ideas and viewpoints you do not have a debate, and without a debate nothing can get determined.

Keep up the ideas folks and always speak your mind. Yes you will be pounced upon by the odd troll (and some of them are very odd), but by and large your idea will be discussed, dissected and accepted or rejected or put on the back burner in some cases while further research is done. All of this is good. Good for you and good for us because it promotes....

Knowledge

Ah, yes. Knowledge is acquired in many ways. Some are the accepted ways, and lead to accepted qualifications, and others are not, and of course before anyone says it some are by our mistakes!. All acquisition of knowledge however is good. All through life there is a process of learning, and I believe that once you stop learning, stop trying to acquire knowledge, stop looking for answers, then you may as well be dead as you have ceased to function.

I am continually impressed on this thread and indeed on ATS generally, at the ability of participants to come up with links to information whether it be good or bad, right or wrong. A huge amount of time goes into topics by active participants, and it requires an ability to know if an article is relevant.

There are of course many different levels of ability and knowledge amongst the participants, but all input should be welcomed. Even the troll has a place if he/she makes us think about what has been said.

The process of acquiring knowledge is for the most part, as far as academic subjects are concerned, carried during ones education. A suitable level of academic achievement having been obtained you can then go on to university.

But let us take a look at Uni. People and employers increasingly pay homage to the degree, but is it really an indicator of better knowledge? Particularly of late more and more 'research' is done by students on the Internet, and less and less is disseminated in lectures. Indeed there are Universities where there are no lectures as such (Open University for example). So yes of course it indicates a better knowledge but....

Do you see a similarity between what the students do and what we do?

You could look at it from the angle that all research we carry out is part of undergraduate studies for a degree, or in some cases of a thesis for an MA or even a Doctorate. The latter achievement is almost always awarded on the basis of personal investigation into a subject, and is more often than not carrying a considerable weight of material by others referenced in the text. These are really no different from scientific papers. They are also no different in many respects to the higher levels of research put in by folks on this and other threads.

After a couple more years you could award yourselves a "Doctorate in Yellowstonology"!

In my humble opinion the work put in on this thread represents a considerable achievement by all involved and again in my humble opinion is often worthy of the award of a degree.

Please all keep up the good work. Your efforts are genuinely valuable and just as valid as many scientific opinions in some cases.

Never let anyone come on this thread and say you are just amateurs and should leave it to the scientists. They too were amateurs once, and you are becoming less and less of one (amateur) every day that you continue to assimilate knowledge on the subject.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to my DB who sowed the seed of this post and who contributed outlines to it.

No reply is required as the reply would also be off topic. If you agree just star it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by EngTech36

I should just like to add that all of this is built into Quake Data including a locator which allows you to click on a country and see the instruments in that country irrespective of the network they are in. The database of recorders in Quake Data ONLY has those that can provide you with data and thus saves you time when searching.

You can, like tabs, open several versions of the form, and refresh. I am working on an automatic refresh as well.

I have a list of all active recorders for Yellowstone that can be added to the program to save you having to make all the entries.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Very nicely put Puterman!

It's been a little while since I post these - so updated plots on the ups and downs of Yellowstone

Here and Here

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks.

If you want to put the plot into QD under web cams (!! I know I am working on it) then the address of the plot you need is:

aitch tee tee pea colon // pboweb.unavco.org/products/timeseries/LKWY.raw.png

When you click snap now you get a copy of the plot downloaded to your computer.

Since I am gathering a few of these now I think it warrants a new section in the program.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I got this from wikipedia earth magnetic field. In the German version there is a short paragraph about changes in the earth magnetic field during a solar storm. I had to translate it, hope I got everything right.

For those who can understand german: de.wikipedia.org...

The magnetic field of earth deviates the charged particles of the sunwind and by doing so in great hights it gets deformed a lot. Satellite detection show, the buildup of a plasma tail on the far side of earth. By magnetic storms, which are caused by sun eruptions and sun wind, the strength of the earth field varies for short periods of time in the order of magnitude from some 100 to 1000nT.
In addition the solar radiation leads on the dayside to a stronger ionisation in the upper atmospheric layers. The current systems connected to this phenomen influence the earth magnetic field as well in the order of magnitude of some 10nT. This effect is called Sq-variation.
Geostationary satellites in a hight of 36,000 km detect a earth magnetic field in the order of magnitude of 100nT the disturbances by the sun are in the same order and are dominant during strong magnetic storms.

Here is a link to the graph.

de.wikipedia.org...:Ife_010331_kombination.png&filetimestamp=20090103143426

Temporal variant in the earth magnetic field by a magnetic storm on the 31. of March 2001, recorded in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. The x-cordinate gives the time in minutes (Greenwich time), The y-cordinate the magnetic field strength in Nanotesla [nT].
The green curve shows the sq-variant (without magnetic storm) in Ile-Ife.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks like we've got a new swarm on our hands... To summarize from earlier discussions, we're seeing activity on the caldera's edge... If we see any 5.0+, that would be troubling. A few 3.0s in the last day...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
anyone seen the location of the new swarm at google earth? seems to me at the edge ore wall of an old not so big crater ore vent hole...

[edit on 6-4-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
"Robinesque"

Thank you for the smile and the first good laugh I've had in a long while. I've been dwelling in the dark for far too long.

I think it's about time for another 3.0 quake any moment. It's seems like it's due.

Puterman, you don't have to worry about the moderators. You self-censor the majority of the time, and everyone is allowed a temporary distraction like rabbits, or any other humour to lightening the mood. I think as long as we are talking about science and things that affect the earth, then it's all geology and it's all connected.

I actually went a month without writing out here. The tone of some individuals is frustrating to say the least. I'm trying to accept that they will always be under the bridges and I have to learn to deal with that.

Yes the current swarm is on the caldera rim. And this is a concern because the faults are the weakest link. Another interesting thing to note on the earthquake list is the depths of the quakes. They are very consistant around 5km. This may be evidence of fluids moving. An opinion.

Someone asked why I think the real danger is near the Sour Creek Dome. That explaination is far too long to post here. I'll give you link to my You Tube channel and I explain there why I believe the lake is the real danger.

Oh Puterman. Oh Puterman. Oh Puterman. Part of the reason I haven't been writing is that I'm dysfunctional. I've given enough details so I think you've got a good idea about my burden. Which sometimes is a gift. I stayed away because I was suffering some near unbearable stress. And at that time I asked you for the Hudson Bay Map with my circles. When you hadn't posted them, I regressed and became an immature child. I can't help it. I have trantrums and pout. You should get the chance once in your life to experince my tourrets. I swear like a sailor on speed. You can't understand how important it is to me. In my deranged mind, I keep thinking that if you make the circles and post the map, you will notice that the chain is just like Yellowstone. So it's on topic. Yellowstone caldera overlap, but they are much more haphazard than mine. The eruptions in Hudson Bay were much larger and that's why you get perfect circles.

You seem to understand innovation and the process of scientific discovery. I also know the history. And it's remarkable. There is a definate pattern in the way humans and civilization evolve and adapt. Watch James Burke's Connections. You'll discover even more.

I have many limits which I can't overcome. Like trying to figure all gadets and programs available to me. I've thought about starting my own thread.

Maybe you could start a thread and post the map there. Call the thread Robinesque Ruminatings. Then if any of you that think I might have discovered some truths about our planet, you too can participate, and I can leave this thread alone unless I have something very specific to say.

I take no offence at being characterized as "out there". It is true about my life in a literal sense. I don't live at the 45th parallel like I said last night. I'm on the 50th parallel. In a city called Kenora in the middle of the Boreal forest. I'm really out there. But I base everything I believe on what I've witnessed. On reason and rational thinking. On the scienfic data. The only real difference is that I assemble the puzzle in a different way, and I have a unique and dramatic way of expressing myself. No where in this thread do I entertain the idea that 2012 has any validity. I have never accused HAARP of messing with Old Yeller. I don't think it's a government conspiracy. I don't even believe in religion. I believe in science. And I'm a fierce skeptic of the scientific community. That's our responsiblity. The authority needs to be held accountable. I could write an entire piece about the role of our scientists and how they have become the "New Church". The internet has revolutionalize the media. It's already starting to change the way science is developed and learned. Puterman is on the right track. How exactly education changes, that's anyone's guess at the moment.

Hell we should come up with a name for ourselves. We that watch Old Yeller as obsessively as the pros at the YVO. They may be the regualr force, but we here are the militia. Minute Men/Women. We're like the nieghbourhoold watch of the masses. We're not the police, we are concerned citizens who are keeping watch and trying to understand the community we live in. I'll leave it for the rest of you to come up with a name for us.

Please Puterman post me map. My brain she can't stop the impulse from running the curciut until its been rerouted. I see the map when I close my eyes. Once I see it here, or on some new, manic thread, it will disappear. I've made the maps myself and I can watch my own video to see it. What I need is the connection to another individual, and getting thier assessment after they go through the excerise. And don't forget. The Gulf of St. Lawerence is also a caldera and lines up with Hudson Bay. Try extending the line west and east until you hit the Mid Atlantic Ridge. You should note some more interesting things.

I am be crazy. But I know when I'm right about something. I'm the first to admit I'm wrong. And when I'm right, I won't ever surrender. With all seriousness, I would give up my life if the truth of my discovery could be realized and studied. It's that important to me.

One last thing. Climate change. In the end. There will be an ice-age. Because a large volcano will erupt. Just as they always have.

Volcanoes. Volcanoes. Volcanoes.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
So Yellowstone is back in focus..
Something About Icelandic Volcanos.
Earth Quakes ..
I'd say were having a great deal of Fault activity.
I think here in the Pacific NorthWest it would be prudent for us to be prepared.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by shutterbugw]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

There you go Robin - fire away

Robinesque Ruminations

I will reply on the map there.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Man! That 7.8 just happened in Sumatra is pushing the stations at Yellowstone into the 30 to 40 microns per second readings, and staying there. That's a lot of stress on that rock. It's times like these I really worry about a trigger event.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Man! That 7.8 just happened in Sumatra is pushing the stations at Yellowstone into the 30 to 40 microns per second readings, and staying there. That's a lot of stress on that rock. It's times like these I really worry about a trigger event.

My thoughts exactly! I am also a little concerned that we are approaching the 50 min mark and so far there no aftershocks listed on USGS. I think that is very odd and hopefully not a sign that something bigger is coming.

All this tug and pull HAS to have an affect on Yellowstone. I'll be expecting to see the reactions here shortly!

EDIT TO ADD: They have indeed updated the list and so far added the 5.1 I am thinking they are doing it manually right now.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well Robin, the only reason I turned from lurker to member was because of this thread and the members in it.

Every time I log in, I check this thread and the YS seismo's.

1yr down the line I'm still at it. I've learned so much from you all and am very grateful.

Robin I think you are onto something with the fluid movement.

There is a guy on youtube talking about the sun spot relationship to the earthquakes (can't for the life of me find it though) he predicted the baja rumble a week or 2 before.

Anyway.. KEEP IT UP ALL.. It's very much appreciated..

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So is anyone else watching GEE right now? I have my regulars pulled up: 207, 205, H17, 944 and they are lookin wierd. It is so cool to see the waves coming in.

I have one question though. The original quake was easy to see and the subsequent waves. It seemed to have settled down and now there are some very sharp V lines getting bigger. Is this the second wave or something new?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

WOW - I have PBO B208 & B207 up --- really funky funky waves coming through!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 603  604  605    607  608  609 >>

join