It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

news.bbc.co.uk

Muntadar al-Zaidi has suffered a broken hand, broken ribs and internal bleeding, as well as an eye injury, his older brother, Dargham, told the BBC.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I wondered what the punishment would be for this. Something tells me that his troubles have only just started.

I still don't know where I stand on this issue yet. I can say that I was very impressed at how well Bush was able to dodge the shoes. They seemed to be well aimed and thrown pretty hard.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well the guy is still alive... he should be thankful on that count. You just don't go around throwing objects at or threatening heads of state, and expect to walk away from the ordeal in one piece.

Too bad Bush isn't as brilliant as he is elusive. Still for an older guy, his reflexes were pretty darn impressive. They'll have to give him a nickname like "the Mongoose" or something now

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Bush told the world he thought it was great to see Democracy Is now in Iraq,but i bet you any money you like that he said to people behind the scenes (I want him to pay)

I would hate to see what would happen if he did hit Bush with one of them shoes...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
On a side note... How can the secret service be trusted to stop a bullet for the president when they didn't even move a muscle until AFTER this guy threw both of his shoes?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I was also pretty impressed with Bush's moves. Not just that he dodged the first one, but that he popped right back up ready to face his assaulter instead of cowering behind the podium.

As far as the reporter being beaten, I think it's awful! I heard it in passing on the news... "He was taking into custody and beaten..." It seemed such an acceptable way of doing things there. That made me a little ill. And I felt glad that, at least in theory, we don't do it that way here...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I wonder if they gave him his "rights" before he was arrested?

Oh, this isn't in America, you know some countries treat criminals, even before they are convicted, with terrible treatment. This has a tendency to drive the crime rate down.

Countries that coddle criminals with group hugs instead of harsh treatment seem to have higher crime rates.

Amazing concept, how barbaric, but it seems to be true.

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, beaten to the point of breaking bones is pretty severe. Then again, I don't know what he thought would happen. It takes some serious courage to do something like that.

link   
I sincerely hope the shoe guy sues 'them'.. bush is already unpopular, so ai feel comfident he'd have a winning strike..look at the ROD guy in IL.. everyone hates him, and he is seeking legal advice to keep his corrupt job..if he can do it, so can the shoe guy
or all of us, for that matter

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I concur, the old dude had reflexes so sharp... it's almost like Bush knew that someone was going to chuck them in the first place! Conspiracy!

Also: this.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This scenario poses so many problems. We can all understand and sympathize with the man's frustrations, but his actions were so public that there is no way he will get off. Also, he went against a deeply rooted Muslim custom of hospitality to guests which some veiw as a national embarrassment t Iraq.

And then there is the Bush Legacy...he and Rove have been hard at work for a month now, white-washing the past eight years. However, the sentiment behind Muntadar al-Zaidi's actions is really closer to the truth of his legacy. The constant video loop of the incident makes for an uncomfortable situation for both men, if ever-so-amusing for us.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I'm suprised the "George Bush is a reptile" crowd hasn't jumped on this one.

Super fast reflexes and all

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

You mean democracy Bush fascist style, interesting how he can come public and claim Freedom in Iraq and at the same time allowing the freedom seeker's beating.

I guess what he really mean was that Iraq is free but along with torture for exercising it.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This whole episode has really made me think about Bush and his legacy/ intentions.

I dont think Bush can ever be called a dictator. A dictator is feared/ revered, and this reporter clearly knew he wouldn't be killed for throwing his shoes at Bush.

I did find the bit about many Arabs trying to buy the shoes funny!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
First off, are they complete idiots?

Right, so a protester throws his shoes at the visiting president, he's arrested (correctly) and there are protests in the streets.

So, then they think it'll be rather good to beat him up a little. Right, so what happens now? They set back progress in Iraq by another five years.

Way to go winning the hearts and minds of the free Iraqi people!

Seriously, leadership intelligence completely baffles me. I don't understand how such idiots retain their positions. Do they need people to remind them that breathing regularly is a good idea?

Expect to see massive protests, more bombings by previously moderate people, more soldiers being killed, a longer occupation and several more years of instability.

Well done Bush, you've done it again!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

A dictator is feared/ revered, and this reporter clearly knew he wouldn't be killed for throwing his shoes at Bush.

Actually, I believe he thought he was going to get killed for it. Right before he threw the shoes, he did pass his friend a note that said something along the lines of "There is nothing more glorious than to die the death of a martyr."

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Oh I didn't realise Bush was in charge of the judicial authorities in Iraq

He would have nothing to do with the beatings and you know it.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I dont think Bush can ever be called a dictator. A dictator is feared/ revered, and this reporter clearly knew he wouldn't be killed for throwing his shoes at Bush.

Even after Bush has destroyed your rights to protest or even disagree with him?

The only difference between Saddam and Bush is that Bush uses financial, economic and social weapons against the people, Saddam just locked people up or killed them.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

You think he couldn't get those strings pulled if he wanted to?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

You don't really believe that do you?

Please tell me you're not that gullible.

No offense, but even if he didn't have a hand in directly requesting this punishment, he should have known to make sure nothing happened to him to create more dissent against the military in that country.

The fact that Bush allowed this man to be beaten while in custody is beyond stupid, I knew he was as thick as two short planks, but this really is the epitome of reckless idiocy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join