It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy earthquake hits southern Sweden this morning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Heavy earthquake hits southern Sweden this morning

trans late.google.com

Heavy quake shook southern Sweden

A sharp quake has shaken large parts of southern Sweden and Denmark early Tuesday morning. Several people have heard of themselves that they woken up by strong tremors.

- There was a strong pressure, so the whole house moved, "said Kennet Larsson in Taihape. The quake measured 4.7 on the Richter scale and occurred about four miles east of Malmo.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Only 10 days Left-Until Predicted Huge Earthquakes

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
*Serious Warnings* Alert * Earthquake* Postings* Please Read*

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Spooky Fox Mulder]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Earthquakes don't happen in Northern Europe. Not that big. 4.7 on the Richter scale is the biggest earthquake seen this far.

Neither CNN or BBC have anything news on it.

Funny, that the date of the quake is around the predicted large earthquake in USA (see Predictions section on ATS). Maybe it's just a beginning of something big, who knows.

trans late.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Never felt an earthquake in near by Finland either, in over 30 yrs...

Very strange indeed!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Is there not some sort of super volcano which had a hand in wiping out a lot of life in our history in Sweden?

Could be that which caused it.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky Fox Mulder
Earthquakes don't happen in Northern Europe. Not that big. 4.7 on the Richter scale is the biggest earthquake seen this far.

Are you sure about that....???

Maybe if they'd stop drilling for gas. The North of Holland got hit 500 times by quakes in the last 100 years only because of natural gas being pumped out of the bottom and this causes the earth to slowly sink and cause earthquakes.....

4.7 is not a BIG quake!! they happen allover the place ever day....

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
it is a big quake for sweden.

its be like getting a 4.8 on the east coast somewhere.

that was the biggest quake in sweden in 104 years.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Here's a depth chart.....

Peace...

[edit on 16/12/2008 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
April 1990 - 5.1
November 1976 - 4.5
July 1984 - 5.4
November 1976 - 4.5
December 1979 - 4.7
August 1974 - 4.4

Source, British Geological Survey.

Those are some of the ones in Britain, a place where EQ are rare.

And I've chosen the most powerful ones.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.
I'll be more interested if or when I see evidence of the ones predicted by webbot.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Hehe, I reside in mid-Sweden.

Heard about this for the first time here on ATS.

Will try to translate some facts from the biggest newspaper DN
(Text in italics are my own comments)

Quake to come from 18km beneath the surface.

One kilometre from a local airport (Skurup).

Strongest quake since 1904 but then it was at magnitude 6.
(That is a big one though.)

The latest one in the same strength was in 1986 in Skövde; between 4 and 4,6 on the Richter scale.

There will be after shocks, but no reason to fear any massive damage.

USGS said the quake was a 4,7 but later European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre said it was 4,8 (information partly gathered from Swedish measuring stations).

The phones at the local police stations were heavily obstructed with callers
("Somebody is shaking my house! And all the other houses! And the entire world in fact! Go arrest them!") The SOS-alarm centre managing south Sweden was so overwhelmed with calls, other stations had to back them up.

A tunnel construction near Malmö will be under observation. Otherwise no reported damage rather than some interiors falling down in homes. The transportation management will not investigate bridges and such but home owners should check for cracks in walls etc.

Since 1904 there have been no more than 15 quakes worth mentioning. Most of them ranging between 2 and 4 on the Richter scale. One outside the coast of Kaliningrad had a magnitude of 5,3 and shook the south east coast pretty hard.
Still, Sweden is shaken by some 700 minor ones each year but the great vast majority of them are hardly even noticed.

Local resident Mia Larsdotter said it felt like the entire house was lifted up and then dropped onto the ground.

Johanna Wallin though the the boiler had exploded.

Roger Skoglund thought an air liner had passed over head at extremely low altitude.

Siff Skovenborg said that the quake lasted for some 30 seconds.
She said that she and her cat woke up when the bed started swinging.
Thus, the cat was not able to predict the quake! Bad cat! Bad, bad cat!

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Raud]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

What the hell?

None of them are mentioned on the DN homepage!
Are they all supposed to have been on (beneath) Swedish soil?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Earthquake Lights?

I believe there will be another quake, maybe within 24 hours or maybe within a couple of days. Why? Because I've just seen some lights in the sky (again). It suddenly struck me that I've seen some weird lights in the sky recently. And now, it struck me that it might have a connection to the quake. First I saw the lights on Saturday (just after sunset at 4:30am) in a northern direction. Then I saw them in the evening before the earthquake (at 7:30pm), directly in the direction of the epicentre of the quake (east). I remember noticing the light, and I remember thinking it was weird, as they were not in the direction of the sun, and I couldn't connect them with any manmade lightsources from the ground. They looked kind of like a blurred sunset. Kind of like the picture below (which was a real sunset, btw), but weaker. However, the sun was already set and was not in the direction of the lights.

I remember thinking (kind of for fun) that maybe the light came from an alien mothership or something (a UFO hovering behind the clouds)
But then, I figured that maybe it had some kind of explanation to it, and stopped thinking about it. When I saw the light again Monday evening, I thought it was strange that I could now see these lights in a different direction than two days earlier.

And now, I saw these lights again. And more than one spot. The sun is up now, but the lights are all over the place. I took this picture half-an-hour ago. This is not the direction of the sun.

Another quake imminent?

Btw, I experienced the quake, and posted about my observations here and here. I didn't mention the lights in those posts, as I didn't connect them to the quake before now. I urge anyone in southern Sweden and Eastern Denmark to look up at the sky and see if you can see these lights as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Earthquake Lights?

I believe there will be another quake, maybe within 24 hours or maybe within a couple of days. Why? Because I've just seen some lights in the sky (again). It suddenly struck me that I've seen some weird lights in the sky recently. And now, it struck me that it might have a connection to the quake. First I saw the lights on Saturday (just after sunset at 4:30am) in a northern direction. Then I saw them in the evening before the earthquake (at 7:30pm), directly in the direction of the epicentre of the quake (east). I remember noticing the light, and I remember thinking it was weird, as they were not in the direction of the sun, and I couldn't connect them with any manmade lightsources from the ground. They looked kind of like a blurred sunset. Kind of like the picture below (which was a real sunset, btw), but weaker. However, the sun was already set and was not in the direction of the lights.

I remember thinking (kind of for fun) that maybe the light came from an alien mothership or something (a UFO hovering behind the clouds)
But then, I figured that maybe it had some kind of explanation to it, and stopped thinking about it. When I saw the light again Monday evening, I thought it was strange that I could now see these lights in a different direction than two days earlier.

And now, I saw these lights again. And more than one spot. The sun is up now, but the lights are all over the place. I took this picture half-an-hour ago. This is not the direction of the sun.

Another quake imminent?

Btw, I experienced the quake, and posted about my observations here and here. I didn't mention the lights in those posts, as I didn't connect them to the quake before now. I urge anyone in southern Sweden and Eastern Denmark to look up at the sky and see if you can see these lights as well.

wow man!!! awesome observation!!!

strange lights in the sky can often be related to quakes.

what is really strange is...in the web bots prediction they specifically mentioned strange lights in the sky and/or abnormal lightning. it was in the 709 alta reports, which i have.

please keep us updated, esp with photos.

btw, this was taken one hour before the china quake back in may (which was an 8.1 i think.)

again, awesome work man! keen eye!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by perficio7]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

Are they all supposed to have been on (beneath) Swedish soil?

Nah. In Britain, I believe...

This latest magnitude 4.8 quake was the strongest to hit Sweden/Denmark for 104 years. They are now checking the Oresund Bridge for damages.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well if there is any merit to these lights appearing before a earthquake California is gonna get hammerd! My daughter and I went to our friends ranch to see the new lake hub and son worked on and opposite the sunset where the MOON should have been coming up was THE SUNSET SKY. I will go through our pics and see if I can figure out how to get it on here. Not only was it in the wrong place it was a super bright orange with weird dark blue streaks. ( no cities in that area either it was over the ocean)

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They are even selling t-shirts now...

If a bigger one hits before New Years Eve, it would be kind of ironic if someone wearing this t-shirt doesn't survive a new quake...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Your post and photos just jogged a memory for me... last week, I can't recall exactly which day, I noticed the same thing in the sky here in Reno... the sky was lit up like a red sunset, except it was due North... and past sunset. My bf and I discussed it a bit, but I never connected it with earthquakes. Due north of me is just wide open barren desert right up to the Idaho border, no cities, etc.

The only time in my personal experience that I've seen what were then termed earthquake lights, was during a 6.3 earthquake in San Jose, CA in the 80's. It was 3 a.m., but I watched blinding white flashes light up the sky brighter than daylight outside the window across the room from me. It was after that, I went to a library and researched earthquake lights.

But clearly here, we're talking about something completely different, which is why, I believe, at the time we saw the red horizon in the North, earthquakes didn't occur to me. Fascinating. S&F

Edit to add: I thought I'd read something about red skies and earthquakes and I found it in my EQ files. Scroll down to page 3, Precursor Phenomena in the Sky...

www.worldscibooks.com...

[edit on 12/17/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I just have to say, a 4.7 quake is not "HEAVY" or large by any means.

I get that earth quakes are not common in that area, fine.

But until a quaker hit's 6+ on the ricter scale, it is a small one.

That said, I certainly hope no one was hurt and no damage was done.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

EMSC upgraded the quake to magnitude 4.8. Anyway, I agree that it was not a "heavy" quake as such. But quakes are very rare here, and it was actually felt as far away as Jutland (western Denmark). It has something to do with the soil, I guess. Some people who experienced the quake woke up screaming. And people who had experienced "heavy" quakes in Pakistan and Mexico said it felt like a very strong quake. I was in Copenhagen, and it felt like a huge troll was shaking the building I was in.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A 4.8 might not be a "heavy" earthquake as rated by seismologists, but I can say from personal experience, that a 4.8 is quite a jolt if you're sitting on the epicenter. In fact, the Reno 4.7 felt pretty heavy to me at the time, despite the fact that I've experienced earthquakes of much higher magnitudes with epicenters further away.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think the lights coukd be from this

A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field
Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics.

"At first I didn't believe it," says THEMIS project scientist David Sibeck of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "This finding fundamentally alters our understanding of the solar wind-magnetosphere interaction."

science.nasa.gov...

but if there is a relation between the lights and the magnetic field, and the quakes, whats to come? Is there a way we can predict it?
What are the long term effects going to be?

[edit on 17-12-2008 by severdsoul]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join