It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
While I agree with some of what you say, I have to point out, staying in school is the best option for you. The reason? Because you don't have to just learn what they're teaching you, you can expand on it, delve deeper than what they want of you, to become better & smarter than they want you to.

Think of it this way...if you use the weapons they give you...& then grasp other ones that they don't want you to get, & learn how to use them, then you can eventually turn around one day, & use their own weapons against them. The weapons here being intelligence, learning, & expanding your mind.

I've delved deep into knowledge, expanded My mind, gone far far into areas I was not supposed to, to make Myself as strong mentally as I could ever become. I am a mental, physical, & spiritual warrior, & no one can stop someone who knows how to think his/her way out of any given situation.

Knowledge is Power, never let that power be taken away from you.

I did not pick the sayings by My name by chance, I am what I say I am.
A Spartan by life experience, a Trickster Wolf, & a White Tiger.

Learn to grasp that which is given to you, learn to take that which is not, learn to wield that which is too heavy, learn to use your knowledge as both a weapon & a shield, & you will become a mighty warrior someday.

Being a warrior is not all brawn, there must be brains to figure out exactly how to use that brawn & outwit your enemy.

[edit on 24-12-2005 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Quiet Storm, I read your post and thought wow - exactly me 4 years ago in University. I had a slightly different tilt though, because at the time I was still buying into the money will bring you happiness theory of life. I left U because I thought I could be making money faster if I was in the workforce quicker. I can elaborate on my story if you want, but I've got a better posting for you here.

Here's a tool I've adopted of late. Take those wildest conjectures and flesh them out. Societies crumble, frequency of natural disasters increases, currencies devalue, etc. etc. In this probably very realistic future, what becomes important to people, to you? What will it all mean to you? Follow those thoughts and theories down to the very end, fleshing out every detail, and imagine how you'd live your life in each of those scenarios. Perhaps I'm just naiive, but I have a very good idea of what will become important to people when money and material posessions lose their appeal. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that - take one of the worst case scenarios and fill it out for us, even!

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Attaining a higher education is more than just taking a bunch of classes. The whole process — the entire experience — is aimed at making you a well-rounded person. You get an opportunity to meet interesting people from all walks of life. You can join or attend a vast array of political, social, religious or professional organizations. You have almost limitless opportunities to speak your mind and take a stand on issues that matter to you.

Sure, I'll be the first to admit that I hated taking a required History of the English Language course. But college offered me the chance to converse one-on-one with American humorist, Art Buchwald; to dine with Dan Rather; to become well-aquainted with a former Cuban political prisoner; and to meet Adam West. (Batman rules!) I also became a student activist for a handful of issues that resonate with me.

I'm not relating this to brag or be ridiculed. I am just simply stating that I would not have had the opportunity to do any of these things if I had not attended college.

In short, college can be a painfully dull or a richly rewarding experience. It all depends on you.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat. Two days ago I did an english presentation and I said the following "If you guys wanna get smart, go read books and watch documentaries, and stop relying on the school system and teachers to get smarter because that's now what the school system is intended for. Schools were designed to dumb the population, and it's sad when everyday I come in here, sit on the desk and fiddle with my pen and pretend I'm paying attention" Then I said "I don't need to be here...at least not today" and walked out the class. The next day the office called me down, the vp played mind games with me, i lost my cool and got suspended. They expected me to stay in a box for six hours without eating and wait for my parents to come. I complained enough times and they finally let me go. The whole logic is stupid. And I agree with you, I don't care about grades, in a way I guess I do but only because I wanna go to a good university. But I don't have grades at the top of my list, the top of my list is knowledge, then grades.

And I'm just like you man, just fed up. But I guess we just gotta suck it up, unless enough people starting thinking like this and a real change can happen.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungN go read books and watch documentaries, and stop relying on the school system

So the girl or guy studying galactic astronomy and cosmology at Rice University or Mechanical Engineering at Cal Tech should just give up in school becuase they can read books and watch documentaries? Dude, stop bogarting and start passing.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Originally posted by YoungN go read books and watch documentaries, and stop relying on the school system

So the girl or guy studying galactic astronomy and cosmology at Rice University or Mechanical Engineering at Cal Tech should just give up in school becuase they can read books and watch documentaries? Dude, stop bogarting and start passing.

I'm in high school, and I don't think you understand where I'm coming from.

But yee, I am passing..above average too.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by YoungN]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think we shoudlnt have to, but have the choice to, goto school after 6th grade. from that point we have the choice to go further until we feel it is getting repetitive. I am in 10th grade, and this is the same thing as my last year of school, we learn the same. i went and looked at a 12th grade english book and it it no moe confusing than my 10th grade one is. I would honestly go to school for 2 classes, math and science. i feel those are the only 2 classes we NEED to have, english and every other repetitive class should be optional.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
>> have the choice to, goto school after 6th grade.

But don't you, or anybody else, have choise to go or not to go to school in, before or after the 6th or any other grade? If you, for example, choose not to go - would a SWAT team come after you, handcuff you and bring to school? I guess not...

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.mises.org...

Interesting article my old professor wrote.

I don't support the boycot school approach to changing the education system. I think its something we will change over a period of time. I think much of the youth are lazy and make up excuses about the education system. However, there is a real flaw in the education system that needs to be worked on over time. Its nothing that will change over night so just accept it, because you are going to have to accept many things in life that you don't agree with.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join