It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formal education levels of ATS readers and posters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
I personally dont see the connection between scholistic ability and the ability to research debate or have a desire for truth.

With you on that one.

2 years of university. Don't ask why I didn't finish, it's against the T&C.

Reading and researching for over 4 decades.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have not a single qualification to my name or any other name. Not even a single one.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

Bsc Psychology and Counselling
A lvl Philosophy, Sociology, Spanish, Media Studies

I hammer pins into wood for my job.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
High School Diploma (barely)
Love learning, hate school

Mensa Level IQ but refuse to pay dues for bragging rights

are we providing this information merely to feed your personal curiousity or are you going to do something with it?

I agree that levels of education have no relation to quality of input on this site. I have run across some very ignorant people with various degrees and titles.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have a Highschool education though it is a miracle of god that I even graduated.

I hardly ever use anything I learned in high school in actual life though. So I like to think that I am self taught since everything I know and believe I have read and taught to myself.

It is my personal belief that schooling is flawed and a waste of time.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
OK, I’ll play.

Ten years in the Navy with multiple schools in aircraft engines, diesel engines, hydraulics and electrical.

AGS (Associates in General Studies)

18 months of Aviation Maintenance School (Graduated with highest honors)

dropped out 1 semester shy of my BA in Behavioral Science.

I’m a licensed A&P mechanic and my last job was working on the electrical systems in Blackhawk helicopters.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think formal schooling is great so long as it's balanced out with life experience and learning. I've known people who were perpetual students - seemed that WAS their career choice and they were very narrow minded and found it difficult to think outside of the books.

I have a grade 8 completion. School has always been PAINFUL. Sitting and focusing for long periods is akin to death. I did take high school courses when my daughter was little and did much better out of the classroom setting.

I've had no problem getting into college (for business applications and micro computing course way back LOL)

Have computer certs, culinary cert, and several Business and admin certs.

Have had jobs that paid upward of 27 per hour.

ran my own businesses.

I've decided at nearly 40 years of age I want to get into nursing (for a variety of very practical reasons) and will have to finish the grade 12 advanced diploma, plus an additional year of Pre Sciences to get my nursing BAcN.

Sitting in a classroom will be excruciatingly difficult. I learn on my feet so to speak.

IQ was at 143 respectively back in 2002 (proper testing) so I know my failures in school aren't intelligence related. That is my big challenge...to sit and conform while learning.

I read voraciously, and have found interests in some unlikely topics and areas.

A BAcN in nursing is sort of a natural progression plus I'll always have a job somewhere. It also entails a lot of hands on learning so I should excel.

As for the lack of a diploma for high school - no one has EVER asked. My rule is if they ask I am completely 100% honest about NOT having it.

It's never prevented me from getting into courses or jobs.

Even now I could skip the high school upgrading and go straight into the Pre sciences as a mature student.

I'll be getting the high school advanced diploma more for myself, besides, it can't hurt can it? It will certainly help me prepare for the boredom of classroom teaching.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
You might want to look at this graph from an ATS Demographics poll they did.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Compare that with the Average Joe demographics for the US and you'll see that the ATS population is the same as the US population (or slightly lower, due to youth?).

So the many posters who "qualify for mensa" are a sole exception to the demographics that otherwise mirror the US average, or their collective IQ actually averages out around 100, and they just wish it was different.

Likewise, a lot of posters note "life experience;" but they probably have less than the general public, again due to the youth of ATS demographics.

funny that.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Masters in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling.

I would like to get my PhD in Psych someday and maybe even go to law school but if I do that I would either only attend school part time or wait until all of my children are in college. For now I am content being a stay at home Mom and trying to ensure that my children won't need to seek mental health services in their adult lives.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
High School Degree
Currently Enrolled in University
Pursuing Pharm -D

-Ig

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I am a High School dropout.

That being said, I have to point out how discouraged I get when I read posts on these boards and see that the majority of them have numerous spelling and grammatical errors.

If a high school dropout can take the time to learn how to speak and spell, why can’t everyone?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just cuz i doesnt spell gud, dont mean i aint smart.

This isn't about grammar. You could be a simpleton or a genius and not care about grammar.

I really want to encourage those with low amounts of formal education to post to support my hypothesis that formal education is not as important as we are led to believe.

I hope I don't skew the results with this statement.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
LOL... College taught me one tihng.... There is no spoon.

Have 2 AA's, one in Political Science, the other in History. I have an open BA in Business, never plan to go back though.

I went to college to learn, not for the degree's. Weird, once I figured that these schools were meant to narrow your vision rather than expand it, I never saw the point to going back after that.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by FoxStriker]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
BA - Linguistics, Computer Science
MS - Management Information Systems

delius

[edit on 2-12-2008 by delius]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
International Baccalaureate Diploma from High School
BS in Economics and BA in International Affairs
Currently my 2nd year of grad school in Economics

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
A piece of paper on the wall does not make you intelligent, anymore than it makes you a decent human being.

That said I graduated High School, Took some college, Knocked up a model from California who was in town visiting her family and then earned a masters degree from the school of hard knocks.

How does that old saying go? "Through knowledge and not through age is wisdom obtained."

The smartest people I know are the people who read, regardless of their educational background.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I came from a University.

The University of Life.

I shut down any recording of my O and, well, no A's

I am a British Prime Minister.

I failed the numerical test to become a bus conductor.

I was the Chancellor.

What the flying f0ck does it mean?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I've also held many jobs that pay upwards and including 5 US dollars an hour.
Considering my Intellect is 'severely retarded at best' (as one teacher described me) I personally believe that is quite a feat!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Started taking Electrical Engineering, now I am taking and completing degree in 3D / Animation

AS - Computer Systems
2 class's shy of a BA in 3D / Multimedia
A+ cert

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Currently working on my BS in Psychology. Plan on going for my PhD. in some field of Psych.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join