It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone have any anti virus software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
like a paid subscription, dont wanna violate board agreements but alot of that stuff has a 3 user license agreement

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Here is a list of "FREE" and "LEGAL" Antivirus software:

AVG8:
free.avg.com...

Avast:
www.avast.com...

Avira:
www.free-av.com...

Here is a link to many antivirus and antispy/malware programs.
www.freebyte.com...

Hope this helps you.

If you have any other issues/need help post here or feel free to u2u me for further assistance.

Btw,

As far as pay programs:
1) Kasperski Internet security
2)Norton 360

[edit on 11/24/2008 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
AVG Free is brilliant...linked by the poster above....

Free, uses minimal resources and find just about every virus....

I used it on my laptop, desktop and some at work.....definaltey recommend it...

stay away from Norton Symantec.....the more you pay, the more crap gets installed on your machine....

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I use AVG Free and really like it.

I also use Zone Alarm for firewall protection.

I run a clean PC and enjoy it.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You might like to know that microsoft is about to launch a free antivirus product soon. linky poos

“But a free anti-virus program coming from Microsoft is a rather different kettle of fish. They have the brand recognition and marketing muscle to make their free anti-virus software a no-brainer for the average guy in the street.

“And let's face it - anything which encourages Joe User to run up-to-date anti-virus software has to be a good thing. For too long all of us have suffered because of the legions of effectively undefended home computers that have been enlisted into a botnet.

So it seems microsoft is doing something nice - It's dosen't feel sinister - but with MS who knows!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I use the same and I've never had any problems myself. AVG & Zonealarm are the best in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I use download.com..Once you get onto that site you can cruise for your shopping needs..There are some free subscriptions you can take advantage of as well....Go forth and pillage ye old website for free treasure my friend!!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Any opinions on Spybot Search & Destroy?

I use it, works well, frequent updates.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As is said above, AVG. I quite like it, and it is nicely free.

Originally posted by Now_Then
You might like to know that microsoft is about to launch a free antivirus product soon.
So it seems microsoft is doing something nice - It's dosen't feel sinister - but with MS who knows!

Hmm, I can't help but feel that will be a flop of epic proportions if they patch that as well as the normal Windows security holes. Well, I say holes when a more appropriate description would be a hole like a massive chasm.

But Windows will still have the issue of having the market dominance that means everyone will continue to aim their viruses at them.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by apex]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Spybot is free also.

I've used both, have settled on S&D.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Any opinions on Spybot Search & Destroy?

I use it, works well, frequent updates.

Please NOTE:
Spybot, search and distroy is "NOT" an anti-virus program.
It is an anti spyware,malware........kind of program.

It is a fine program and I also think it is good to use, but please be clear on what it does and does not do.

Now, by popular Demand, The ATS Dancer's:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Thanks for pointing out that distinction.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If you are looking to pay for subscription, I'd give Kaspersky 2009 or Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 a shot. It's a really good program, the regular version covers Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Firewall, and Windows vulnerabilities. It has worked really well on my computer.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
AVG Free is fantastic. It catches things that even Spybot misses. I use a cocktail of AVG, Ad-aware, and Spybot when I want to do a thorough scan. There's also another anti-malware app I started using but I forget the name of it. Anyway, AVG is Win. They do a great job with it.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
My ISP provides McAfee security suite for free. I have it on my system.

I installed AVG on my system this morning, and already it says it picked up 2 viruses (that apparently McAfee missed).

I "HEALED" the viruses.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

"Healing" used to mean it could sometimes rip the viral code out of the file. These days it's always just deleted from what I've seen.

McAffee is....OK. I've had a few bad experiences with it, but overall it's no worse than Symantec/Norton AV.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
i got a free subscribtion life time protection for macafee 2009 and it rocks. keeps my system safe.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Those are great suggestions.Ive been using all of these for more than 5 years with no prob's. My only change is ive upgraded AVG Free to a paid subscription. I still sugest the free for new comers. A good fire wall is a must and like already said Zonealarm is the best and free. Most will not pass a good test such as the one found here.
www.grc.com...
Heres where you can find the other great freeware security products..I hope I'm allowed to post these links, if not I apologize.

Microsoft-Windows Defender
www.microsoft.com...

Spybot S&D
www.safer-networking.org...

Ad-Aware
www.lavasoft.com...

No-Ads
www.southbaypc.com...

Zonelabs
www.zonealarm.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I've always had good results from AVG, only user inserted erros there. Malwarebytes is one that I've come across recently, have been advised to recommend it to customers at work, does a good job of removing several bugs and viruses.

I've had a few people get the Microsoft freeware antivirus... it mainly just blocked their internet access. It's also a pain to uninstall, Vista doesn't always list it, or won't allow you to remove it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
AVG Free is on the top of my list. It includes virus and spyware protection now as well as Site advisor feature.

Also I want to send out and FYI to all people if your virus/spyware scanner finds smitfraud or especially Vundo.
You will need a special removal to to remove it.
It's called ComboFix.
You can download it at www.majorgeeks.com but it is updated frequently so if you find it make sure to download the latest version.

new topics

top topics

join