It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmbroseRokewood
personaly i would go for an off road bike. it would be easy to by-pass any grid lock on the roads and be reliable on rough terrain. the bike i would choose would be the bmw r1150gs

can fit all the essentials on the bike, an it can get you anywhere. be it mountains, wetlands or desert.

Thats fine for you ambrose old chap, but what about folks like me with wife and children in tow, You may be OK camping under the stars mid winter, but my family need to be under some sort of protective canopy, IE a van roof, I would add a mini bike or monkey bike to my BOV to allow for reccying, but many of us have relatives we have to transport as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

i totaly see where your coming from, A BOV for the family, i would go for something like a Defender with an AT Trailer.

The bike idea was to my personal circumstances. Myself and a couple of good mates would happily be able to go along the bike route. But for family purposes, a good reliable 4x4 would sufice.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You wouldn't catch me dead in a vehicle under extreme conditions. It only takes one .50 caliber barret or a singular load of JDAM to fix the problem of anyone in any vehicle, armoured or otherwise.

You'd bring way too much attention to yourself in any vehicle of sorts. If you ask me, I'd rather stay on foot, as you can travel terrain not every vehicle can go anyways. Just my 2 cents.

]¥[

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
You wouldn't catch me dead in a vehicle under extreme conditions. It only takes one .50 caliber barret or a singular load of JDAM to fix the problem of anyone in any vehicle, armoured or otherwise.

You'd bring way too much attention to yourself in any vehicle of sorts. If you ask me, I'd rather stay on foot, as you can travel terrain not every vehicle can go anyways. Just my 2 cents.

]¥[

Yeah but we live in the UK, our civvies are not armed to the teeth, and fifty calls are only available to the army, We dont have the paranoid obsession with guns that our cousins in the US have.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
None of those will be of any use if there is no fuel to power them...ya?

Best vehicle...simple....it is alive and is very faithful and wont run out of gas or need gas and can get its fuel from just grazing...

..a HORSE.

Cheers!!!!

Not much grazing in the desert.

I'd get a pre 70's diesel jeep or land rover. You can steal all the diesel you need from tanker trucks. Any post 60's vehicle will be useless if 'they' fire off an ElcetroMagneticPulse

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
One quick addition I would advise adding and shouldn't break the bank would be a front mounted wench. Get one that has enough power to lift your vehicle's gross weight. Getting out of a situation allows you to get away from a situation.

The Undertaker

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is simple really, at least it is to me. The vehicle should be a 4 wheel drive and pre-electronic ignition or computer chip driven. These vehicles can be disabled by several means and now they ca track your position within 1 meter with the newer vehicles. I would not buy any brand of Humvee but an old military hummer would work great as would an old International Scout, any old Landrover would also work fine. My choice would probably be the International Scout or the old Jeep CJ-7, that's the one with the little ruck bed in back...

Where would you run to is the real question, with the many ways of tracking people available to the PTB it is hard to get off the grid.

RFID Chips in everything, cell phones are GPS equipped, pets are chipped, hell people are being chipped. One would most likely be tracked down eventually by one of these measures if they wanted too...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Too many people watching waaaaaay too many movies!

If SitX went down, do you think Saudi Arabia would still drill for oil? Do you think Supertankers would still traverse the vast oceans to bring crude to our refineries? Do you think refineries would still process oil into petrol? And finally, do you really think that it would be pumped out to gas stations??? Or, are any of you doing ANY thinking at all

Damn! I mean everything on the survival forum indicates that most of you wouldn't survive for even a week!
Look at the guns topics... people wanting home defense weapons are told to buy AKs and .30Cals. This thread has people talking about Mercedes and Corvettes???
WTF!?!?

If SitX ever went down you'd all be dead! Plain and simply - DEAD! Why? Because you'd have weapons with no ammo, cars with no gas and ZERO clue how to really survive.

Back on topic (Although that rant couldn't have been more on topic!), the best vehicle in SitX would be a bike or a horse. The most practical and likely to be found are your own two feet!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, assuming that there's petrol to be aquired then a "STOL" aircraft would be the real choice, roads will be watched by looters/others.
Working on my pilot training and aircraft selection.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I agree, except there's lots of oil besides Saudi oil and there is a huge stockpiles of refined fuel that will be stuck in distribution lines when the SHTF. If you have the firepower you'll have fuel at least for a couple of years. If it gets so bad that it goes on past acouple of years then all bets are off your feet and a horse will be all there is. A good Bow with some arrows will be worth as much as a horse by then too, who in the hell will be making gun powder after the SHTF???

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I replied to the OP topic about what vehicle, I don't agree with your assessment that their would be no gas, if you are prepared you would have gas stores along with your Food, Water, Water Filtration System, Guns, Ammo, Toilet Paper, alternate powered radios and such.

I did not go into these things because the question was about what vehicle, I answered that question, but then I asked one. WHERE WOULD YOU GO? they can track nearly everything now and running don't work if they can locate you at the click of a mouse...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
One would make the assumption that fuel could be had from abandoned vehicles long enough to get to a bug out point, therefor, I would go with a Rokon Bike with a trailer hitched up to it. Rokons, while slow, can go pretty much anywhere, tow alot, or haul a good deal of weight.

If you were at your local or staying put, anything without GPS would be on my list. Horse, bike, the concept of walking may work as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
One quick addition I would advise adding and shouldn't break the bank would be a front mounted wench. Get one that has enough power to lift your vehicle's gross weight. Getting out of a situation allows you to get away from a situation.

The Undertaker

A front mounted winch give 2x4s nearly as much flexibility as 4x4s, a few survivalist I know have them on their bug out vans

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

A sailboat!!! No kidding man, just set sail and leave all the problems behind. Find an island, that is totally un-inhabited and survive the holocaust.

No fuel problem, no roadblocks to worry about, not effected by earthquakes, (hurricanes and pirates are the only problems you might have.)

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
One would make the assumption that fuel could be had from abandoned vehicles long enough to get to a bug out point, therefor, I would go with a Rokon Bike with a trailer hitched up to it. Rokons, while slow, can go pretty much anywhere, tow alot, or haul a good deal of weight.

If you were at your local or staying put, anything without GPS would be on my list. Horse, bike, the concept of walking may work as well.

Petrol ( gasoline) goes off pretty quick, especially the modern low sulpher part bio crap we use these days, if stored it will need treating with anti fungal, and other fuel stabilisers. Diesel is a better proposition as it is not as volatile as petrol, though hydrophilic its not as bad to store , diesel kept in sealed jerry cans will last years. when bugging out if you have to use scavenged petrol ( gas) you are limited really to retail service stations plus abandoned cars. But diesel can be found in service stations, diesel cars, truck stops, trucks, buses, boats, locomotoves, frieght yards and good depots as well as military caches.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This thread IS NOT exclusively about "SitX" (agreed in SitX we are all fooked it's game over vehicle or no vehicle).

Extreme survival vehicles, whether you are going to the antarctic, jungle, desert etc......

What would be your choice?

I think the support vehicles that do the Paris-Dakar rally would probably be awsome in a survival situation, just got to find pic and link.

MR

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marlborough Red
This thread IS NOT exclusively about "SitX" (agreed in SitX we are all fooked it's game over vehicle or no vehicle).

Extreme survival vehicles, whether you are going to the antarctic, jungle, desert etc......

What would be your choice?

I think the support vehicles that do the Paris-Dakar rally would probably be awsome in a survival situation, just got to find pic and link.

MR

Do a google for Allrad Christ expedition vehicles, or do one for Maximog

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

i have a land rover defender 110 td5, i get 30 mpg its my baby, have done 10000 miles in 5 months awesome motor, land rover all the way for me

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATS4dummies
Ideally?

A sail boat. Think about it.

Well as long as your sail boat doesn't rely heavily on modern
electronics, LOL.

en.wikipedia.org...

All the modern vehicles and equipment with transistor based
integrated circuits will be dead on the side of the road.

You want a vehicle with no moden electronics, or some
method to shield them and you are taking a chance there.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

That's an easy one, it the Big Wheel. It's been "king of the sidewalk for over 40 years." Them nuclear zombies won't be able to touch you on one of those.

www.originalbigwheel.com...

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Silenceisall]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join