It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
The best all around vehicle would be a horse. They can carry a lot of weight, fuel for them is everywhere, and if you get really desperate, you can eat them. Kinda hard to eat a car or truck.

And it's really easy to change the oil in them

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Anuubis]

I said this also in the early pages of this thread. They make great companions, fuel themselves simply by grazing, can get you through places no mechanical vehicle can, and reporduces itself for plenty of rides later down the trail.

I also feel sorry for these folks thinking gas powered, mechanical vehicles will last long in a major crash of industry and economics. Be neat tho to see all those fancy schmancy 4x4's and trucks and hum-vees all stranded and strung out all over the place.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I am sure it must have been mentioned in the post but John Speed's Travel Vans is a great book and worth mentioning again, written with the authors personal experience of modifying vehicles for travelling and living.

I looked at a few LR Defenders but was constantly disappointed by the amount of rusty and neglected examples I kept seeing for the money I was prepared to pay for something which would essentially be a second vehicle.

In the end I settled on a Toyota Hilux pickup, the choice of terrorists and militias around the world, and rightly so. One of the last of the solid front axle variants it is robust, reliable, and can carry a lot of gear. An old but cared for non-turbo diesel engine should ensure that it is running for longer than most.

Not the best choice for someone who may be travelling with children or other dependents, but it suits the needs of me and the 2i/c perfectly.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallSign
Not the best choice for someone who may be travelling with children or other dependents, but it suits the needs of me and the 2i/c perfectly.

BOV like every thing else has to be tailored to the individual and there situation. I glad you found the best one for you.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Landrover Wolf 2.5 TDI hard-top - Militarised.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Let them keep their 4x4's, i'll take a quarterhorse/tenesee walker cross over any of them. Most people wouldn't know a good horse if it bit them in the ass though, too many people are hooked on technology.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

I am one of those who wouldn't know a good horse if it kicked me bit me and then threw a party on my thick skull. So I stay away from them and stick with what I know. Which is 4X4's Not downing your choice in the least but my jeep doesn't get spooked or throw temper tantrums. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Kixseems to have one of the bestideas.The sailboat thing isreally good too.

In keeping in focus of the subject, I have had all new manners of every brand of truck (purchased or leased through my employers). While many have benefits, I have found them all inferior to an old school jeep CJ. The inline six motor is described as bullet proof. This is not only a figure of speech. I swear that mine has run over 100 miles without water and over 100 miles without oil on seperate occasions. The entire vehicle can be serviced with just a few tool. Just about any component can be hard wired, bypassed, completely submerged, or set fire and still fuction.
Depending on how much weight you have, the inline four provides greater fuel economy. The 4 cyl deisek is difficult to find, but is by far the most reliable automotive engine on the planet. If a tank round blew off the back of a jeep, you could likely prop the rear up on skids, put it in 4wd and drive it from coast to coast. Your head will hurt worse than the jeep.
BTW- I don't make these comments based on any kind of name brand loyalty or other bs. I would buy take my chances with a rusted out , unrestored cj7 with 200k miles on it, before I would in anything new that costs less than 100k dollars. >>>>
You guys really should google the video of UK top gear testing a toyota HILUX. All bs aside, they drowned it, burned it, crashed it, and dropped it 20 stories. It still ran with no additional parts. As a matter of fact, they have the original totaled truck on a pedestal in thier studio.
No matter what you get, minimize electronics and luxuries and aquire simple maintenance items. Additionally, visit an off road website for tips on improving performanc (like sealing distributor caps,etc) in extreme situations like stream fjording and rollovers.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Great picture CS! In a real Sitx scenario it'd probably be just as practical as any other choice a person could make. LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
In my opinion, the best vehicle would depend upon your individual situation and personal experiences. Ask yourself these simple questions before you make your decision.

• Are you physically fit?
  • Have you ever walked more than a couple of miles in your entire life?
  • Do you have any physical impairments that would limit your mobility?
  • Are you single or do you have a family with small children or elderly dependents to care for?
  • Do you live in a urban or rural setting?
  • Do you have the resources to purchase a well maintain, well-equipped vehicle?
  • Do you know how to drive?
  • Have you ever rode or cared for a horse, mule, etc..?

If you're out of shape or have physical limitations, walking is probably out of the question. If you've never walked more than a couple of miles in your life, what makes you think you could walk or bike for extended periods of time during a Sitx scenario loaded down with equipment?

If you have a family, you'll only be as fast as your slowest team member. That two year old or aging octogenarian will have a hard time keeping up with the more fit members of your team.

If you live in a rural area, you have a few more options regarding transportation than a city dweller will have. Do you have the money necessary to purchase a first or even second class survival vehicle? If not, once again your options are limited. Do you even know how to drive? Believe it or not, there are millions of people who have never driven a car or truck before.

As for riding and pack animals, have you ever rode or actually cared for one in the past? Horse and mules throw shoes frequently, and even they require minimal maintenance just like a vehicle to remain viable.

Fuel availability is also a factor. Cars and trucks require gas or diesel, livestock requires feed and nutritional supplements to remain healthy. You can't free range them like chickens and expect them to thrive.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
AS much as I like the Uni and its baby bro the Gelandewagen or its british cousin the Land Rover Defender...the key in a survival situation is having access to parts and that means domestically produced. Altho the debate might be moot in the event of an EMP explosion.....cheers!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Wouldn't want it any other way!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Electrogravity, and A wave shielding with plasma gravity bubble..or something.

Basicly I want to be able to survive a sun exploding.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnet2000

Definitely a nice truck, but it certainly gets stuck enough in relatively minor ruts. It need a lot more ground clearance in my opinion. My '84 Ram 4x4 would make short work of that course without my having to climb in and out of my cab constantly to inflate and deflate it's tires for traction. Best of all, it would do so for a lot less money, and I could find parts for it practically anywhere in the continental USA. Cool video though. LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Pre 1978 ford or Chevrolet pickup truck with carburator and spark plugs. The least amount of computer chips and modules the better. If a nuke were to explode approx. 1 mile above ground level it would leave most of your newer cars unworkable because the electronics and onboard computers would be fried. If you have fuel injection you will be out of luck if your electronics are fried.

If you need to haul your belongings and groups of people the pre 1978 half or 3/4 ton pickup is the way to go even if it is not as fuel efficient but it easy to work on compared to the newer vehicles.

One alternative would be to take a chain connect it to the metal frame of your fuel injected vehicle when parked and have it touch the ground or driveway. If a nuke is detinated above ground you might stand a chance that the electronics will still work by using the chain to ground. This might work only when vehicle is parked and if you are driving at the time a nuke goes off way above you good luck your vehicle more then likely will quit working containing computer chips and modules.

Downside is do not forget to remove chain before driving off somewhere. LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Pedal power. Surly Pugsley www.surlybikes.com... mt. bike and a BOB ibex trailer. www.bobgear.com...

The kids will have to ride in this www.chariotcarriers.com... this trailer can be configured for walking, hiking, skiing and cycling.

I have a thorough network of trails, converted rail beds and back roads in my area that lead south and away from the population center. These trails lead right into a national park which will provide plenty of cover for a few days.

edit to add:
I have yet to buy either of the trailers. They are a little spendy $$

[edit on 13-1-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I myself have a very hard time of deciding what vehicle to pick.

First of all, I don't have the resources to buy several cars, of which one will not be used until an emergency happens, so the one I get will have to satisfy both the needs of my normal life as wall as a possible Survival-X situation.

Secondly, facing the trade-offs is a pretty hard one. I'm still studying economics and in the future, the car of my choice has to be "of status" in the sense that it doesn't have any negative impact on my career/how my coworkers perceive me. Then again, it should have fairly good off-road capabilities, storage space and provide a degree of protection against various hazards, and be easily maintainable.

Alas, my choice is somewhat hard, but I'm seriously considering the Mercedez-Benz S600 Guard.

It has an interesting combination of protective systems, looks good and has a pretty decent storage space in the back. However, it lacks any serious off-road capabilities, which might be it's downfall and in case it's electronic systems would malfunction due to nukes and what not, it won't move anywhere. Additionally, it's hard to maintain by yourself.

Any suggestions to my dilemma?

Concerning the bikes,
I actually agree with the previous canadian poster about the ease of biking in snow with thin tires & some skill. The idea of putting a sledge or any similar aparatus behind it makes an awful lot of sense, and it is actually a very good way of increasing your carrying capacity without hindering yourself.

I do a lot of biking and frequently take trips with my two dogs, who actually carry a hefty portion of our gear, leaving me unencumbered and ready to spring into action if I fall over for example.

But other animals such as horses aren't a very viable choice, as you need the skills to ride one and actually have one close-by to make a difference, which, regardless of who's arguing otherwise, is relatively hard and resource intensive.

Cheers,
HraTaika

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If your willing to get a S600, then get a Landcruiser!

[edit on 13-1-2009 by mtnet2000]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm gonna stick with my '01 Cherokee on this one. As many have said, the 4.0 is almost indestructible, it will go anywhere, and carry anything I need it to.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
no offence to the OP - but this is another nebulous ` whats the best..... ` question that can only be answered once you quantify :

where you are
the nature of ` the disaster `

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Fun thread

I think anyone that has spent any time in the field will agree that it all starts with boots.

Seriously, good boots.

The knowledge to "acquire" transportation as needed would be usefull.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join