It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
Remeber while some of these choices are good, you have to think about getting parts, its not going to run forever ( being you can get fuel).
I would suggest a older Chevy or ford 4x4 truck. There are tons of them in the back of many farmers houses that they wore the motor out, but will be a mine for used parts.
Its not like you can run down to your local Napa and order something..
You will have to pick something that you can easily find parts, tires and other items for, something that you know in your area there are many.

Your right. If the SHTF I would want a small block Chevy or Ford. There are so many parts availble for each. An old Chevy Blazer would be nice but a broncos performance, in my opinion, is unmatched.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
if fuel is stockpiled or available then i'd choose a Ural Gear-Up with offroad tires, machinegun mount, and repairkit.

www.pashnit.com...

www.motocafe.ru...

farm4.static.flickr.com...

www.whitestar-sa.com...

www.imz-ural.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
i live in canada and our winters are really tough here so any vehicles have a hard time getting around except certain 4x4's and other all terrain vehicles. thought a lot about it and have concluded that the lack of fuel and accessible parts will proberbly be the main problem. i will be travelling with one other person 100km from where i live now, being a bicycle messenger i first opted for my reliable bicycle, yes even for hard core snow days i bike all the time and unlike what most would think the narrower tires for a thick snow is much better than the standard mountain bike tire or hybrid tire. mountain bikes have a smaller wheel diameter and collects more snow(adding more weight to an already heavy bicycle)& do not cut across the snow as well as narrower ones(it does take some adjusting or practice). so me and my friend each have a bike for that ride . i have biked as a messenger for 14 canadian winters and am ready for anything, but him on the other hand is not as adjusted to winter biking conditions, so the plan is converting a kid trailer that attaches to my bicycle to a sled, so when conditions are unbikable we can remove the wheels from the trailer, install the harnesses put our snowshoes on and both pull the sled with both bicycles on top of it. the good thing of having that trailer is that we can bring all the essentials we need. we figure it might take us a week before we get to destination. at the destination all the food we need for 1year is there waiting, sandpoint well and woodstove. the only things we have to bring for the trip is fire starting kits for ten days (20 prepared homemade fire stating kits in ziplocks )we might even bring compress wood logs all depends of the space we got, two rubbermaid boxes one for each of us for clothes, hatchets, bike repairkit, extra mitts,hats, thermal underwear. our food will be mostly powders like flour, cornmeal,salt,etc but we also have lots of dehidrated foods and homemade ration packs. anyways i could go on forever on this subject but i think you get my general idea. any questions dont be shy, i am always ready to help the ones that are awake enough to notice that the time might come where tshtf!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i forgot to mention one thing in my post, the fact that everybody or most of them will be driving cars, that will eventually break down or run out of gas wich just might become an ideal shelter if desperately needed, so the more of you that bring cars the more chances i have to get a great shelter for a night! _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by accuroman

First of all Mr. Accuroman, I thought we had more like 2 yrs worth of food.HAHA
Second,I agree on the bike trailer with skis.
Third,You should send the damn cat up there so we are not stuck with her for our week of hell.
Last,I think people who are picking a car as a survival vehicle are more then likely doomed.
Hows the thoot!!HAHAHA

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If I had to surrvive in a post apocoliptic world. I would choose a solar hot air balloon, totally fule efficient and noting gets in your way 65.27.83.222

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
An old and I do mean old 4x4 like a willys or WWII era Jeep. The more primative the better. Easier to repair than todays cars.

Anything that has an onboard computer would be vulnerable to EMP and the like.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
An old VW made into a Baja.Air cooled,low maintance,good gas miliage and will go pretty much anywhere.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I would imagine something that's really quiet such as an electric scooter car or truck etc. fuel for a generator or was able to make fuel such as alchohol would also be ideal in some cases. An abandoned mine or cave for shelter. Whatever makes noise or can easily be seen from up above won't be much help. If the government is looking for you, most likely they will find you somehow. Unless ofcourse you're CIA like Osama Bin Laden.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm voting for a dirt bike running on biodiesel that you produce in your backyard from hemp.

Infinite carburant, efficient, can go anywhere.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've always wanted a Dutton Mariner Commander 4X4. An amphibious car with four wheel drive. Heck if the bridges are out might come in handy.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I'll have one of these please...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The best all around vehicle would be a horse. They can carry a lot of weight, fuel for them is everywhere, and if you get really desperate, you can eat them. Kinda hard to eat a car or truck.

And it's really easy to change the oil in them

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Forget about gas or diesel.

Choose your favorite 4 wheel drive truck and convert it to run on Wood. An old $1000 truck can be converted with a few items from Home Depot.

Mother's Woodburning Truck

No Joke

Fill er up with wood & then go - Seattle Times

OR How about that old Chevy Van

Any old pickup will do!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Dude You Dont Know How Much You Have Gained My Respect Just From Those Few Simple Words. All I Can Say Is If I Ever Meet You In Real Life You Have Earned The Right To Ride In My Volvo 240.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
jeep, jeep, jeep! a jeep cherokee (XJ) from the mid 80's to mid 00's they built millions of them. they have great power, good mileage, great little off roaders. lots of the parts on them fit other year models either strait bolt-on of retrofittable with ease. just think how many of these "mom wagons" you see everyday around your town, well it's like that everywhere and that's how many spares that will be scattered all across every city and town in the states. same with YJ's, TJ's every part fits every other model out there. as long as the gas lasts, give me a XJ and i'll ride forever.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
i prefer a cannon.....

one shot and your out of an emergency situation....BANG!!!!!!!!!!!

and your half way across the country.........

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentBlack

I love My Jeep Cherokee Sport. I love it much better then I did my Wrangler. Of course my Wrangler tried to kill me.

Funny thing about Wranglers when you dodge a deer and get side ways they tend to roll and not stop rolling until trees get in the way.

I completely agree about the fact that they are all over the place. That is a key point in a choice for a BOV. Of course not the only choice but a biggy in My opinion.

No matter what I will always have a Jeep. The junkier I buy them the better I like them. I rebuild them and that way I know what I have.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

i've had three XJ's and one YJ of widely seperate years and loved every one, the best part is they all had the same engine, with few exceptions i could take any part off my 87 and slap it on my 99. the 4.0L is a wonderful thing. now i'm looking for an LJ rubicon but i'd take another XJ any day.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Always good to know there are fellow XJer's on board! Had an 88' that was passed down to me when I turned 16 that I had been riding in since I was 3. Trans went out at 230k so I sold it and bought a 99. Given the choice of a civilian vehicle for survival I would always choose a Jeep; no questions asked. Btw, I am a NAXJA member...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join