It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese have right to 2 airline seats: Canada court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Obese have right to 2 airline seats: Canada court

news.yahoo.com

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think this is fair, and hope the fat-bashers do not flock to this thread...

I am surprised there is not a 'fat people sightings' forum here at ATS instead of a UFO forum

Really this is fair, I wonder if the US or anywhere else, will follow suit.

I don't know what else I can add to this, but I hope it is not already up somewhere. If so, delete away.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Looks like people can sue for anything in Canada also. Perhaps they should have compromised for a discounted fare on the second seat. Now, everyone and the uncle will be claiming that they are "functionally disabled" by obesity.

Lets keep opening the worm cans in the courts.

Two problems created this scenario. The astonishingly high obesity rates in North America and the fact the Airlines have crammed people into planes like sardines over the years. The added more rows and most likely reduced the overall seat size.

I am 6'2" and weigh 230 pounds. I have a difficulty sitting in the seats the way they are arranged. But, can I sue the airlines because my knees always hit the seat in front of me. The only option I have is First Class or hope beg and pray for exit row. My brother is 6'5". and has it far worse than me. Perhaps he is "functionally disabled" by his height and should receive a free upgrade to first class.

Where do we draw the line?

I am "functionally disabled" by my inability to smell. I need to find someone that I can sue. I want something dammit. I miss out every year on the smells of the Holidays. Turkey and dressing, candles, cookies you name it. I've got some work to do and some lawyers to call.

edit to add

I can't help my affliction. There is no cure. My sensory ability was lost due to a severe head injury. Not to bash the obese but perhaps a diet and some medication will help get you into just one seat.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by jibeho]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Actually, maybe this will start a war between the airlines and fastfood!?

Y'ever think of that?

They could start a promo campaign whereby if you show reciepts for eating at "Healthy establishments" they give you deep discounts...

This could incentivize good eating habits for all fliers...

I'm for it!

[edit on 21-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Honestly though, isn't this more fair than trying to make a person squeeze into a seat that's too small, being forced into his neighbour's lap on the plane? This is more fair for their seat neighbours, and nobody should have to pay TWICE the share just because they are larger.

Believe me, their life might already suck enough. No need to punish them further

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Honestly though, isn't this more fair than trying to make a person squeeze into a seat that's too small, being forced into his neighbour's lap on the plane? This is more fair for their seat neighbours, and nobody should have to pay TWICE the share just because they are larger.

Believe me, their life might already suck enough. No need to punish them further

To be honest, I'm skinny as a rail, but tall as a NBA star.

I can't fit into one seat length wise.

They really should have seats that don't cause DVT in tall people.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I can definitely understand the reason for the lawsuit. I have sat next to a fellow passenger with this affliction before. I was stuck in the middle seat on 3 hour flight. This case just sets precedence and opens to courtroom to all of the loonies who want something for nothing.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I agree with you... Perhaps if they are making exceptions for wide people, they need to have a row of seats with more leg room for long people.

Guess the thing about the can of worms is right. Airline seating does not accomodate everyone.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
As someone who could stand to lose a few pounds this is sickening to me. It is bad enough that we no longer have or demand personal responsability, but now we give special treatment to people who are to damned lazy to walk a little.

I would be more embarrassed asking for two seats for the price of one than I would having to squeeze my ass in a seat to small.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by capgrup

Since when is it someone else's responsibility to rationalize what is "personal responsibility" or not??

Seriously, everybody trying to dictate what others are entitled to or not, just bothers me. Like Gays having no right to marriage, because others are offended by the idea of freedom to people who are different than them?

How do we decide who is or is not, a second-class citizen, below anyone else?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
What this means is that the next lawsuit might just be to make the designers understand that this isn't 1950, and people are not the small average size of 5'4" and 148 Lbs. Trying to stuff folks into an aluminum cigar at 300 people when it should only hold 250 to make the profit margins and quotas of the airlines is going to backfire. More people are choosing not to fly long distances because of the discomfort.

Zindo

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I happen to be 6ft5" tall.
Should I get two seats because I don't fit comfortably in 1?
I mean I don't have an opinion on fatties one way or the other. But my condition is not self inflicted.

And I don't need people bashing the term "fatties" ... after all aren't you people supposed to be jolly.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by foremanator]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nemesis:

I thought this was about overwieght people suing for rights that others do not get. It has nothing to do with gay marriage (which I am for). Was I wrong?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm geneticly large. I'm 6'1" and 260 lbs and I have like 11% body fat. At 60 thats not fat, thats just the way it is.
Zindo

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am not a small person.

I was on a flight in the middle seat and a rather large woman sat on the isle seat. The window seat was also taken.

She asked if I minded putting the arm rest up. She was already overflowing into my space. I said that I did mind. She was upset but just kind of pouted.

It wouldn't be fair for her to encroach any further into my space, since the seating space isn't that large to begin with.

Non the less, I felt bad.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
During the fuel crisis, I could see them charging people by the pound as well. I could also them asking certain passengers to switch sides if they lose an engine.
Don't they also have a handicapped section? Sounds like discrimination.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
All can say is I am quite compact in my frame (10st), not saying I am a model of fitness at all - my liver and kidneys are drowning out the screaming from my arteries to eat a bit of fruit and run once in a while

But if I had paid for a seat on a (full) plane and I was crammed into a seat right next to some huge ass [insert all hatred of insanely oversized people here] I would be pissed. 1) It's a safety hazard for people to be that large. 2) I paid for the amount of space / weight I used.... I would feel cheated 3) My objections would now be ruled err I don't know obeseist?
cos a court has ruled in their favour?

There are only a few medical reasons why people get 'huge' (diameter not height!) But there are so many huge people. In history only the uber wealthy had the opportunity to live lives comfortable enough to achieve such girth - now you will see multiple examples in any high street.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by capgrup
Nemesis:

I thought this was about overwieght people suing for rights that others do not get. It has nothing to do with gay marriage (which I am for). Was I wrong?

You seem to have misunderstood. I am talking about how everyone else thinks it is their job to dictate other peoples' lives.
People are constantly trying to derail others' threads.

As far as the size issue, Zindo is right. Many do not fit into the tiny mold of what our bodies are supposed to be. I still say, good on Canada.
I hope others will follow

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think the point being made to the airlines is perfectly clear. Your seats are not acceptable. Not everyone comes in the same size, so stop making your seats like they do. Either change your seats to accomidate everyone fairly, or you'll have to live with this decision. The court made this decision to prompt change in the industry, not give someone a free seat. I'm sure the courts are hoping this will convince the airlines to change they way they make their seats, and think of the people sitting in them when designing them.

I'm sure this desision will lead to some profound changes in future designs of aircrafts not only to solve this 'free seat' issue but also to prevent future lawsuits. I have no doubt there are people working for the airlines who are racking their brains trying to figure out a way to solve this problem that will make everyone happy... might take a while, but I'm sure they're working on it.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Do the airlines have the right to make somebody take two seats if they require it?

Because some people, out of indignation (and inconsideration,) will probably insist that they are "not fat" and that they only take one seat anyways.

Meanwhile, they take one-and-a-half, and somebody else misses out on half the seat they actually paid for.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join