It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

I think Iron burns green.

not a one liner

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am actually in the edmonton area and witnessed this occurance... it was definitely not lightning... its about -8 celcius out and clear skies

All I can say is it's nothing like i've ever seen before... almost look like a transformer explostion.. like an electronic transformer just on a very very large scale,...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29
Do we know if meteors and the green (?) flash/lights go together...?

If a green flash is consistent with meteorite sightings/explosions, then we may be able to narrow it down...

Phage?

grammar edit!

[edit on 11/20/2008 by chapter29]

Mostly spotted around military installations

Green Fireballs is a self-descriptive term used to refer to certain unidentified flying objects which have been sighted in the sky since the late 1940s. Early sightings primarily occurred in the southwestern United States, particularly in New Mexico. [1][2][3] They were once of notable concern to the US government because they were often clustered around sensitive research and military installations, such as Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratory, then Sandia base.[1][2][3] Furthermore, the strange green balls of light appeared suddenly and were reported many times per month near such New Mexico installations, but hardly anywhere else.

Source

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by dreams n chains

I'm lucky enough to have seen a fairly large fireball which exploded into 5 or six pieces. Nary a sound. The edge of the atmosphere is 100 miles away, it would take a really loud noise to first carry through the thin air up there then make it all the way to the observers ear.

Sorry, 100km

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Phage]

But these witnesses aren't describing it as being too far off... as if it exploded right before it made landfall... but no sounds mentioned.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
New video of this wide angle shot.

interesting perspective.
Source:Edmonton.ctv
news 6 video link of fireball

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
From the comments secton at the cbc:

Local (Lloydminster) radio station is putting together info from calls they are receiving and seems like maximum effects (including rumbling, homes shaking) are being reported positioned about West Central SK in the area of Marshall, Lashburn . . . .

Interesting stuff. starred and flagged.

Edit: should probably change the title though - Edmonton is only where part of the sighting of the event happened - this is a much wider area.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by vox2442]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So the best I have to report is that all my friends say meteor. When I asked a few that live in the southend if there any noise, they said no. Frustrating as all hell when all your friends are mainstream and tow the line.

I was getting a few thigns packed to go and check it out (what is a 2 hour drive to see somethign that cool), but the wife put the kibosh on it.

I see on the news that it is actually on the border of Alberta/Saskatchewan. Might have to go on a meteor hunt tomorrow if they find the landing site, since that is closer for me.

link   
I actually seen this.

I was driving South on a hi-way situated North of Edmonton.

It was around 5:20 pm, almost dark, and the sky lit up like lightning had struck. I thought "that's odd, it's -3 celcius, can't be lightning"

Then to my left (East) I seen the "fireball" (sorry, don't know how else to describe it) with a tail that was sparking, like sparklers you put on birthday cakes. It was moving very fast, then it disappeared behind a tree-line.

It was SPECTACULAR!!!

link   
reply to post by vox2442

dang they stopped adding comments to the page

and here's another source carrying the story (and updating it)

www.newstalk650.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I should have mentioned, the tail was orange, not white.

My dad and brother also seen it, and they were further North than I was at the time.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Ya..Iron it is...

Top of Page 209

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZoooMer

I noticed that a number of eyewitnesses indicate the fireball was greenish to greenish blue in color.

As those with some chemistry background would know, copper is a metal that burns greenish like that. Meteors are not made of copper.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but there is a long standing controversy among scientists as far as explaining why would green meteors exist... why have they only been reported since the mid 40's and why they are only reported clustered around certain areas near military bases, particularly around new mexico...

en.wikipedia.org...

Something to think about while we get some more news from a witness...

-rrr

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

The reports are so widespread and varied that it's impossible to get even close to localizing it. Remember that something very high in the atmosphere but very distant will look like it is close to the horizon.

When things settle down a bit and the reports can be collated a rough triangulation should indicate if and where the meteor landed.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It landed only 20 minutes from where I live. I was in my living room when i heard a "boom" and saw a bliding light. It was only a kilometer above my house. You could see a trail of smoke in the air 4 minutes after.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by chapter29

I think Iron burns green.

not a one liner

Copper, not iron. I don't mean to say that meteors are made of copper. They are not. I am saying that *this* object must have contained copper if it was burning green as reported.

-rrr

[edit on 20-11-2008 by rickyrrr]

link   
reply to post by SleeplessInUS

Yeah I will keep my eye on the news tonight as well. Someone else surely saw it. Don't worry I don't think you are crazy
I have a feeling it is the same one. Or another one possibly, but it is just too close to the time it hit Canada.

link   
reply to post by ZoooMer

I lived in Edmonton for a few years and still have family there. I'll send off some e-mails, see if I can get more info. I am very interested in Canadian UFO sightings, and was actually just about to post a new topic asking about hot-spots. I am very familiar with Western Canada - lots of activity - but nothing like Mt. Adams or Stephenville, that I'm aware of.

I may go to Edmonton for Christmas...going to try and summon something

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Air traffic controller at Louis Armstrong Intl saw the object

The thing plummeting to earth within view of the air traffic control tower at the Louis Armstrong International Airport in Kenner "apparently was a meteor, " said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's southwest region.

Source

Now what a coincidence on the same Airport last night:

Hour-long airport runway light outage blamed on computer problem

The failure of runway lights to switch on at Louis Armstrong International Airport at nightfall Wednesday was caused by a computer problem, not an issue with the airport's electrical system, an airport spokeswoman said today.

Source

Are we talking ESD here? Ionised atmosphere? Interesting...

MoonMine

[edit on 20-11-2008 by MoonMine]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The energy emitted into the light comes in little packets, called quanta. High-frequency (bluish) light has high energy quanta and low-frequency (reddish) light has lower energy quanta. Temperature measures how much thermal energy is available to go into vibrating particles, etc, including the particles emitting the light. If the typical thermal energy of a particle is large compared to a quantum of light of some color, that color of light is easily emitted. But if the energy quantum is bigger than the typical thermal energy scale, those quanta hardly ever come out. So as you heat something up, first the lower energy (red) quanta show up, then also middle energy (say green), and finally they’re joined by blue quanta.

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SleeplessInUS
I have been waiting for a post such as this, only one problem.... The time is wrong and the direction is wrong LOL.

As I left work this evening at 5:05pm, I saw what looked like a fireball falling through the sky in the west. I am on the gulf coast in Alabama. By 5:15 it was over the horizon. My first thought was a meteorite and I was waiting to see if something would be reported either here or in the MSM. The problem is that 5 pm for me would be 3pm? in Edmonton... and it would also be in my northwestern sky.

Could there have been more than one? The one I saw made no impact near me... it merely dissappeared over the horizon which makes it large. I wish I had pulled over and snapped a picture but I was in 5pm traffic which is a bear to say the least.

Starred and Flagged, will keep my eye on progress of the thread and perhaps someone else saw what I did?

Meteor shower?

Just wanted to note that I live in the Florida Big Bend area and happened to be watching the International Space Station pass over at exactly 6:05 my time... which would make it 5:05 your time I think. It was travelling southwest to northeast.

I commented to my brother how beautiful the pink remnants of the sunset were and wondered if the ISS would be pink also when we first saw it. It was pink like the sunset for about a quater of its pass... then shown white. (-1.3 mag)

Not claiming it's what you saw though.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join