It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+99 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Just got a phonecall from someone who saw a massive object light up the entire Northwest sky over Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Apparently - and this is only hearsay at this point - but police have closed some roads in Edmonton because chunks of a meteor have landed all over the city!

Did anyone else see this ? Or any extra information ?

The person who called me saw it - he said it so bright and intense it was scary. He said there was a massive flash and he thought that the flash was actually an impact! I said no way dude - typically a bright meteor flash is resistant from the atmosphere, and an actual impact would be really rare.

He was about 1 hour south of Edmonton as this happened so he could not verify the potential impact location.

I thought I would post this in the UFO section since meteors are technically UFOs.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by ZoooMer]

Mod edit: removed the word BREAKING in the title

[edit on 11/22/2008 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I just saw a huge green one in San Diego, CA

More than likely just leftover Leonids.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
News stories just coming out, this one was posted 4 minutes ago on Canada.com:

EDMONTON - Calls are pouring in about the sight of a bright light in the skies over the Edmonton area. Marcel Gobeil, who lives on a farm just west of Beaumont, was sitting in his living room when he heard what he describes as a "loud boom," followed by the sight of bright colourful lights just before 5:30 p.m. "At first I thought it was fireworks," said Gobeil.

"I've never seen anything like it; it was green and blue and then turned to bright red. "It was pretty big." Gobeil said he also saw the object hit the ground about 10 seconds later. "It seemed like it fell on Beaumont, but it's more likely it landed in Manitoba or Saskatchewan if it was a meteorite," he said. Edmonton fire dispatchers, meanwhile, said they contacted both the international and municipal airports after reports of the bright lights to see if an airplane had gone down. They still have no idea what the object was. "Everyone seems to have seen something," one dispatcher said, "but we have no call on it."

www.canada.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by ZoooMer]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZoooMer

I snooped around and found this for you.

edmonton.ctv.ca...

Mysterious fireball lights up night sky

Updated: Thu Nov. 20 2008 18:26:45

Amanda Ferguson, ctvedmonton.ca

Numerous people living in Edmonton and surrounding areas are reporting seeing a meteorite-like fireball that lit up the sky.

It not been confirmed as a meteor by official sources, but many witnesses report seeing "bright orange flames" with a large tail that shot horizontally across the sky and then disappeared.

Others said it looked like horizontal lighting, where all the clouds in one huge swath were lit up.

Richard Bellington said he was driving north of Highway 2 on his way to Edmonton when he saw the sky light up.

The flames were so bright and appeared to travel so close to the ground that he called 911.

Callers as far as Onoway, Beaumont and Cold Lake also report seeing the ball of flames. Stations as far north as Fort McMurray also report seeing the fireball.

Some experts say the fireball could be part of the Leonids meteor showers, where activity has been predicted to begin on Nov. 17.

Chris Herd, a meteorite scientist at the University of Alberta, said people shouldn't panic after seeing such a sight.

"The sky's a big place," he said. "It can play tricks, these fireballs can play tricks with you and it can look like they fell over there, when it actually can be tens of thousands of kilometres away. The fact that we've got reports as far away as Cold Lake, Saskatoon adn Airdrie tells you can see it from a long ways away."

This is no word whether the meteorite actually hit land.

More to come...

Please Add Comments(42)

Matt Holland
Driving beside the school on Winterburn Road (215st) the light was seen to the ENE direction.

Vince Martin
I saw a flash from my basement window in Red Deer and thought it was lightning. Unfortunately it was only a flash and my line of sight is limited from the basement, soI can't say it is related to this story or not, but the timimg is right.

michael Chesworth
Saw landing of fireball in the west end of edmonton, north of yellowhead highway and south of 137 avenue between 170 street and 184 street at 5:30. Sorry I never had my video camera.
Michael

I liked this though

"The sky's a big place,"

Ya think?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If any way possible, try to do some snooping in the area. If you see any military (or similar) around, then its likely more than a meteor.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I checked on the NEO website and there's nothing on a potential meteor strike today.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Meteor Strike?

Reports indicate a meteor fell from the northern skies and was visible from Edmonton into Saskatchewan with reports of sightings from lots of local people.

A bright light hit southern Saskatchewan Thursday evening around 6:25pm. It's being reported from all over the province, and reports are coming in from as far away as Edmonton.

Moose Jaw's Trent Hammond was on his way home from Assiniboia when it struck. "The sky lit up fire red and then a great big tail of fire came down out of the sky about two miles west of the highway and then boom it was just gone in about four seconds".

Source

Calls pour in about fireball

Updated: Thu Nov. 20 2008 18:27:24

ctvcalgary.ca

CTV News is being inundated with phone calls about a ball of flame that appeared in the sky.

Calls started coming in around 6 p.m.

One driver described being on Deerfoot Trail around 5:30 p.m. and seeing a fireball with flames trailing behind it in the sky. The driver says the light was close enough that it lit up the clouds.

Another driver, on their way to Edmonton, says he was heading north on Highway 2 when he saw bright orange flames light up the sky. He called 911 and they told him they have received numerous calls about the same thing.

CTV News is looking into these reports to see if it was part of a meteor shower.

Source

Possible meteor lights up the skies in northern Alberta
Huge flash also seen in Sask. and Manitoba

EDMONTON — A possible meteor has lit up the sky and the telephone lines in Western Canada.

Around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, a huge flash of light briefly turned the dark skies into daylight.

Reports of sightings of the light and possibly a fireball came in everywhere from Edmonton to Regina to Swan River, Man.

People got so excited that RCMP in Lloydminster, on the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary, issued a news release asking people to stop calling them.

Canadian Press

So yep, something did or came close to impact tonight.

MoonMine

[edit on 20-11-2008 by MoonMine]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I checked on the NEO website and there's nothing on a potential meteor strike today.

Well in that case, this thread is getting flagged...

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Well in that case, this thread is getting flagged...

Imagine that...

Blossom´s space ship is not only late, but crashes in Canada due to a defective flight stabilizer...

Of all the rotten luck........

MoonMine

VIDEO OF THE SKY LIGHTING UP HERE:

www.globaltv.com...

[edit on 20-11-2008 by MoonMine]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that after the first flash, there was a pause and flash and pause and flash and pause and flash the it cut back to the news people

Would a meteorite do that?

i want to know what that was...this is crazy

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I also checked the weather in Edmonton and it is not really conducive to lighting strikes.

A meteorologist I am not though. (pun intended
)

link   
What's the chances of some video coming out of this event in the next little while ?

link   
is there any video of this ?????

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
What's the chances of some video coming out of this event in the next little while ?

www.globaltv.com...

But no clear view of object, just sky lighting up....

MoonMine

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
did you see what i mean about the sky lighting up and going dark repeatedly, kind of weird

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
did you see what i mean about the sky lighting up and going dark repeatedly, kind of weird

You know, that is EXTREMELY WEIRD.

I have seen meteorites (not in the same order of magnitude as this one) but imo it should not light up intermittently as it did.

That is very odd indeed.

Why would it do that?

MoonMine

link   
Wow look at the comments on this news page, so many people saw it. Cool.

edmonton.ctv.ca...

link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

the absence of a warning is irrelevant

please read this story , from the NEO site

relevant quotation :

A spectacular fireball lit up the predawn sky above Northern Sudan on October 7, 2008. This explosion was caused by the atmospheric entry of a small near-Earth asteroid, estimated to be no more than a few meters in diameter. The explosion likely scattered small meteorite fragments across the Nubian desert below. Although such small impact events occur several times per year around the globe, this case was unprecedented because the asteroid was actually discovered the day before it reached the Earth and the impact location and time were for the first time predicted in advance.

just to re-iterate - its " unprecedented " that they detected the sudan one and correctly predicted its trike time / location .

as the article says - these evends happen infrequently - so untill the canadian event investigation returns zero evidence of an asteroid strike or positive evidence of ` something else ` - its not really an issue to get too excited over - [ from a UFO perspective ]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

Very interesting , even though the camera wasn't centered on the event it was still able to show the light and give a good indication of the reported pulsing effect .

If this flash is as reported , an object crashing into the earth , then how big of an object would it have to have been to light up the sky in such a manner ?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Looks like the globaltv site hosting the footage has come under a little ATS strain....

It will not even play anymore for me, completely hosed with traffic.

If you do get a chance, watch the intermittent lighting, it´s really odd..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join