It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SleeplessInUS

As I left work this evening at 5:05pm, I saw what looked like a fireball falling through the sky in the west. I am on the gulf coast in Alabama. By 5:15 it was over the horizon. My first thought was a meteorite and I was waiting to see if something would be reported either here or in the MSM. The problem is that 5 pm for me would be 3pm? in Edmonton... and it would also be in my northwestern sky.

Could there have been more than one? The one I saw made no impact near me... it merely dissappeared over the horizon which makes it large. I wish I had pulled over and snapped a picture but I was in 5pm traffic which is a bear to say the least.

Starred and Flagged, will keep my eye on progress of the thread and perhaps someone else saw what I did?

Meteor shower?

Dang, I am on the Gulf coast of Texas and was driving around at this time, I can't believe I missed this. If it wasnt for the clouds on the horizon,Chances are I may have seen it too. Do you know of anyone else that saw it there?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Thank you!
I have a notion that the news camera video was a loop of the flash.

A bolide is a very rare event but this could be anything.

wikipedia on bolide

Bolide
For the missile of the name BOLIDE, see RBS 70.
The word bolide comes from the Greek βολις, (bolis) which can mean a missile or to flash. The IAU has no official definition of bolide and generally considers the term synonymous with fireball. The term is more often used among geologists than astronomers where it means a very large impactor. For example, the USGS uses the term to mean a generic large crater-forming projectile "to imply that we do not know the precise nature of the impacting body ... whether it is a rocky or metallic asteroid, or an icy comet, for example".[7] Astronomers tend to use the term to mean an exceptionally bright fireball, particularly one that explodes (sometimes called a detonating fireball).

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow, great stuff, stared and flagged.

Whats amazing to me is that this thing was seen as far away as Ft. McMurray - that's a good 6 hour drive from Edmonton.

We're not talking about a plane crash here, that's quite a long distance.

That area also gets some pretty amazing northern lights, but that's not like any aurora I've ever seen.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

“I was waiting for it to explode,” he said. “It looked similar to when we watch (news reports) in Afghanistan. When I didn’t see that, I said, `well, that’s something from outer space.’ I’m sure it landed way out in Winnipeg or something.”

www.edmontonsun.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Mybe it was one of the 997 asteroids listed HERE

Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time. On November 20, 2008 there were 997 potentially hazardous asteroids.

It is a bit odd that the MSM aren't even batting an eye at this story. Is canada out of bounds for CNN? (LMAO we could only hope right?)

Kinda cool, likely a few pieces that caused the multiple bright flashes. Dang...sure would have liked to have seen it.

link   
Here you can see eyewitness reports, people are reporting it in.

jobs.albertatradesmen.com...

link   
and yes it flashes repeatedly as they say in the source of the video

Global Edmonton's Skytracker camera captured the flashes of light. Click here to see the video.

www.globaltv.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Get there! Get there! Get there!

Go! Go! Go!

Too many people on here not to have access to it. Happening Now!

Take camera's! Go! Go!

Don't tell me why not! SHOW ME THE PICTURES!

Hurry!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There has to be somebody on ATS from the area who can give us an eyewitness report.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Odds are anyone remotly close to the supposed impact zone are not reporting it here because they are all outside.

Wish It was not so far away for me, I live in Ontario and it's a pretty good drive...allthough, i almost packed some crap in my car and drove off lol

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Slade says he believes the object was a meteor, travelling at around 100 kilometres an hour.

My car travels faster than that.

This rules out a meteor for sure. Should be more like 300Mph.

Even if his estimate is off, certainly not by an order of three I hope (for his sake). This brings up the question if not a meteor what was it?

ATS team on site yet?

MoonMine

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

This happened in the exact same area on May 25th 2007

Meteorites hit near Redwater, May 25th 2007
www.edmontonsun.com...

now that is bloody weird

the odds of a meteorite falling in the same area twice within roughly 1.5 year span... non existant?

[edit on 20-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have seem a few of these fireballs over my lifetime but I missed tonights show...it was very cloudy here in Regina.

I wonder if it was cloudy near Canmore...further West.

In my opinion, unscientific as it is, this was another meteor lighting up the sky....just a much larger one.

I have only seen one completely light up the sky and that was north of Weyburn, about 16 years ago just before I moved to Oklahoma. ( I am back in Saskatchewan now)

I have seen a lot of falling stars here in Saskatchewan when I work on the cable and telephone lines at dusk.

Very very cool.

[edit on 20-11-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What's really odd is that most people are describing it exploding (like before it even hit earth) but no one is stating anything about sound.

Huge ball of fire exploding so bright it was six times the light of a full moon..... but nothing about sound, impact vibrations?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76

Dang, I am on the Gulf coast of Texas and was driving around at this time, I can't believe I missed this. If it wasnt for the clouds on the horizon,Chances are I may have seen it too. Do you know of anyone else that saw it there?

Im fairly new to the area so there is no one I know to call and confirm. I wish you had seen it because I'm beginning to think I was seeing things
. I wish someone from the gulf coast would chime in and say they saw something!

Im keeping my eye on the local news.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Wow amazing, I can't wait to see the follow up on this! The woman said she saw a green orb, that is exactly what I saw in 1999.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

I'm lucky enough to have seen a fairly large fireball which exploded into 5 or six pieces. Nary a sound. The edge of the atmosphere is 100 miles away, it would take a really loud noise to first carry through the thin air up there then make it all the way to the observers ear.

Sorry, 100km

[edit on 20-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by MoonMine

and as i said there was no seismic activity reported for today

Duly noted.

But is your source realtime...?

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Do we know if meteors and the green (?) flash/lights go together...?

If a green flash is consistent with meteorite sightings/explosions, then we may be able to narrow it down...

Phage?

grammar edit!

[edit on 11/20/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

The one I reported before he reported the same was realtime

It had nothing over the last hour reported.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join