It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was denied a job because I was deemed a security risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hello..Im posting this thread with a heavy heart and I really dont have many people to talk to and I decided to post here instead of ATS because currently there is too much BS going on with negative posting so I wanted to share this with the more subtle and friendly BTS crew...

Today I learned that I was removed from the hiring process for a job because I was deemed a potential security risk, Its a federal agency that I will not name. First let me explain my background, I spent ten years in the military and I have four years of college, I have a flawless background with a security clearance and this was my dream job. I had reached the end of my hiring process and passed everything but I was brought back in to address issues with my credit, I explained that the credit issues were medical bills and I was making attempts to pay them off but due to the outrageous economy and high property taxes whereI live and my monthly bills it is difficult to pay them off. I currently work for the DoD as a contractor and the contracted company I work for doesnt issue medical insurance so whatever injuries or medical reasons that arises has to be paid out of pocket and I am recoverinf from a head injury that required a hospital stay, x rays of my neck and ct scans of my head and a neuro consult and outrageous prices for medication so suffice to say I got inundated with medical bills that I couldnt pay so they went to collection. The agency I was trying to work for told me that my total debt and collections makes me a security risk and Im succeptable to take bribes which was probably the worst thing anybody has ever said to me because it hurt, especially because in my heart of hearts I was the poster boy for this job. My references were outstanding and my former C.O even sent in a letter to the director personally. I gave ten years of service, been deployed numerous times and watched soldiers and civilians die in war that we do not even need to be in and to make it to the end of the process to be told Im a security risk because I have medical bills in collection and im in debt? Arent most americans in some kind of debt. I feel betrayed and insulted

Thank you for letting me share this as Im taking it pretty hard and have nobody to share this with. Its times like these that help me understand how backward and screwed up this country is......

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is absolutely outrageous.

What happened to innocent before proven guilty? Are they going to start prosecuting people for crimes they "might" commit?

Let's just put all the unemployed people in jail. They "might" rob a bank or two, after all.:shk:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
That sucks dude. I have a friend that applied to work for the Govt. He made it through to the second round, but was told he was a security risk as well. He took it way hard, but now has a sweet job working for a college.

Maybe there is something else that you are perfect for, maybe there's an open door you haven't yet looked for.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Quite a few companies do the whole credit check thing which I think is totally bs. I think it should be illegal for companies to check your credit history. Insurance companies also do credit checks and if you are in debt, or a credit risk, they won't insure you, or will charge outrageous amounts.

It really sucks. Sorry you got screwed by this crap.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I worked in G2 processing clearances, probably before you were born ... but; yes, heavy indebtedness is one of the top reasons to deny a security clearance.

While I feel really bad for you and offer a friendly hug if that would help you feel better, I also see why they have the rules the way they are.

Is there a VA hospital near you? I think they handle uninsured veterans. This won't help you now; but, it's something to keep in mind if you need healthcare again in the future.

Are you a VFW member? Perhaps they could do a fundraiser to retire your debt?

Life is a *snip* and it bites sometimes. Hard set rules seem unreasonable when the good, honest, decent people like you get caught in the middle ... but, if they break a rule for one person, then, they have to break it for all. Not all people are decent enough to pay off a debt honestly, dilegently and without compromising themselves or the national security to end the nightmare.

So, for what it's worth ... it sounds to me like you are a very decent person. I respect that!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far friends, I appreciate the nice things said, Its just a bit frustrating so today Im composing a letter to to my congressman and to the director himself of the agency I was snubbed for employment. Im not perfect like probably every employee thats working that agency but I guess it would ok if i was an undocumented citizen here in the US and could get treated for free and my wife could pump out a few kids and get treated for free and not have to pay it back so lets frag the citizens who pay taxes and get molested on property tax and ruin their credit..Yeah Im really angry!!!

Somebody posted about insurance and insurance companies doing credit checks..Thats so ridiculous so Im to believe that if you have bad credit your a bad driver?, Isnt that almost discrimination? Im ashamed to be an american today...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
C Buddy...

WTF...why am I hearing about this from a thread and not directly from you..?

I would give you an even harder time, but obviously you have enough $hit to deal with at the moment...So i will save my remarks for a better time...

This sucks big time brotha'...and yes, how do they use debt (especially from medical bills!) as a tool during these economic times...?

It should be looked at on a case-by-case basis...

Gonna u2u now...

this sux

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Yeah buddy..I was geting around to talking to you personally, My bad..On a lighter note I did send a pretty interesting letter to the director of the agency and to my congressman, Not sure if either will ever be read but it was theraputic to say the least..I mentioned that I might as well be labeled a terrorist since thats what they are basically getting it by calling me a security risk..I really think thats funny but crooks like DICK Cheney and Halliburton can bilk the american taxpayers out of billions but my 27, 657 dollars (and that with my car loan) in debt makes me a security risk!!WTF OVER
:bash:

[edit on 20-11-2008 by cmd18B]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
... ouch...

I always wondered how 'credit' could be a factor in the hiring of an employee...

This is sad man...

We allow the biggest criminals in the history of the world to work inside our US goverment.
And if you even have a tiny bit of unpaid bills, you get disquailfied...

What a country...

Men steal Billions and Trillions and have nothing happen to them...
You owe a hospital a little bit of money, and boom, you are the scum of the earth to them...

But...
Maybe you were too qualified...

Hey, look out, this guy has a good head on him... and you know they just cannot have people like that in GOVERMENT jobs...(ill stop my sarcasm, cause even I find it not funny here)

Whats happen has happen, and you have to accept it, and just say this was a moment in your life that is going to spur you on from here on out.

You must reach bottom, before all roads are open to you.

I wish you the upmost of good luck from here on out. And may your innermost dreams come true.

[edit on 11/20/2008 by TKainZero]

new topics

top topics

join