It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you fear who you are capable of becoming if the SHTF?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

You are right about the renegade mentality...turning against your own people. Example= During the holocaust some Jews reported on other Jews just to stay alive in the concentration camps.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
I would become what I once was and would welcome it just as I would welcome sending that part of me back into retirement, when the crisis was over.

I don't fear it any more then I fear going to work or breathing. others should not fear it either. It is what we are designed for.

Amen, Not to gloat but,it's why i have a hot wife i feel. I wonder sometimes why she is with me or what she saw in me but i realize it's that if the SHTF she would be uncomfortable but would not have toworry about her or the kids. Iwould and do take care of that.

I hope that post didn't come of wrong.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Over the weekend I rented and watched the newly-released DVD "Doomsday".

Not a great film, but I always enjoy the "theory" part of flicks like this.

Basically, for those who have not seen the film, Scotland becomes entirely quarantined due to a virus breakout, and 33 years later survivors are found on satellite imagery. A team is dispatched to find a cure.

There were two sects of the survivors. The first, a sort-of "Road Warriorish" caln of cannibals, and the other had reverted back to Medevil times with archery, armour and the likes.

I find these types of films fascinating for the artists interpretation of what will happen in a global catastrophy situation. What is always true in these films as there will be good, and there will be evil.

Same as it is today, as it will be in the future.

To answer the OP's query, one must remember that for every "Goodguy", there is a "Badguy", and to that badguy, the goodguy is the badguy.

History has proven that humans will do unthinkable things when faced with a life-or-death situation, and I for one shiver with the thought of how evil this world will become when faced with a global catastrophe.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Words of wisdom I gave you a star.

Second line inserted

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So to answer the question of whether or not the collective are afraid of what we are capable of, If the SHTF, the answer would be no?

"We" are not afraid of what we are capable of, as most of us seem to have a fairly good grasp on the lengths we may go to, which does not in itself inspire fear. The real fear comes from the actual meltdown moment when the SHTF, and trying to survive under these circumstances (prepared or not).

The fear is having to do whatever we are 'capable of' - which is a distinction between being afraid of whatever depths we could sink to under the 'right' conditions, and actually being afraid of coming face-to-face with a situation where we feel forced to become the most aggressive and/or animalistic version of ourselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by azurecara

I agree with you.

I guess I'm getting the mentality of saving the last bullet for myself....but I have a lot of bullets!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I have stocked up some food, for my daughter and her father to live on for a while... They can make it. I wonder if they will take the "mark of the Beast", and go with what is demanded of them, to survive... There is a small stream behind our place. Water can be boiled, then used.

Honestly, due to health problems, I do not expect to be around for it all, too much longer. I cannot deal with seeing loved ones suffer, anyway...The only thing I can do is stock up on "stuff" that hopefully will get them through. If I am lucky, they will take care of my mother too.

In a SHTF scenario, it will be nasty. People might have to protect themselves.

In a Martial-Law type situation, after a major disaster... There are some that might band together and fight for the cause of freedom. I want to be one.

EDIT to add: I really think there might be Martial-law in a SHTF situation... Because those in power do not want to lose it, in chaos. They may try to keep order over the people... Nobody seems to be considering this. They do not want to lose power!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I have an ability to shut down my own humanity long enough to get through thick poop. Because of this I am a little afraid knowing my skills in combat and the ease with which I can engage in combat with full acceptance of the potential consequences. It's not the dying I'm afraid of, that will happen with or without TSHTF scenario, I'm afraid that I'll be engaged in such activity for so long that I will forget how to be a gentle loving person.

I can suspend my humanity to survive, but it may not matter if prolonged hardships involving a violent scenarios kill off my soul.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Isolation with close friends and family is the only way...

For a few years, you will pretty much have to kill everyone who finds you, and I have no problem with that. The kinds of people who will try to take what you have would die out in a few...then we are all ok...and can start re communitizing.

Then all the communities have to get together and take out the 1 or 2 dick dictators that have grown up...

If you wanna see how stuff will be, watch "The Postman". It's a #ty Costner flick, but has some decent ideas.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Very well written Vxn..I dont think I could have said it any other way than you just did..If indeed this really did happen you can rest assured that I will see that my loved ones are taken care of and Im prepared to fall back to a place we feel is safe to defend ourselves until its all over..Star for your post

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The response to this thread has been very enlightening.

I have another thread that goes with this one for those that want to survive in a group arrangement. What kind of clan leader would you be? What would your laws for survival be?
Please check it out.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
A very good and thought provoking question by the OP. It would be a heartbreaking situation if looking after your loved ones created a monster within.

My biggest fear would not be what I would become, but rather the fear of letting my famly and loved ones down.

The will to survive, even just to see the next sunrise, supercedes any immediate concerns of long term psychological effects.

It is easy to say that now, I know.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'm just going to dig a hole in the backyard and point my shotgun at the light. I won't cause anyone harm unless they are trying to harm me. The only ones that need to worry about me when SHTF are the squirrels I will be hunting to survive. Maybe the neighbors annoying cat should worry too, he's getting pretty fat and likes taunting the dogs. In all seriousness I do wonder if I would steal from someone to feed the ones I love. Starving is not a fun thought, and I think many would turn into animals under the right circumstances. Hopefully preparation will keep me and the loved ones in my cozy house, away from the crazies out on the street.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Man after reading a few more of these posts I think I have learned something. If something bad happens and I have to go steal some food AVOID THE PARENTS!!!
I cannot even imagine the worry you folks harbor for the little ones. If SHTF and I see anyone stealing or harming a child they get a .45 hole for sure!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
A few nasty attitudes on here, but not most.

It is a lot about your expectations. Millions live in impoverished countries, toiling at their jobs as a mechanic or construction or school teacher for their couple dollars a day. Or whole communities in Africa made up of half orphans due to AIDS; individuals subsisting on a few pennies a day. Maybe having enough to eat one day and not the next. What happens is people usually pull together. But sometimes they slaughter each other.

Back in the early 80s in Poland and Russia a family representative would stand in line for 8 hours to buy bread and cheese. Would people be that patient and polite in L.A.?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
If I felt I was on the moral and good side I would not have any problem defending what I believed to be right.

But if it was between myself and killing another innocent human so that I may survive a few more days I hope that I would not love my life so much as to murder my own soul.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If our future does indeed turn sour, I will become whoever I need to in order to defend my home and my family.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
I want to believe that I would help as many people as I can.
I want to believe that there will still be good in everybody.
I want to believe that I will still be treated fairly by other people.
I want to believe that no one would want to harm me.
I want to believe that I would never have to use the gun I bought for protection.

But what I fear most is what I may be capable of becoming if I had to to survive. Have you honestly thought what you would be capable of doing to survive?

Well, somewhere in the world the SHTF happens everyday. It all depends on your personal view and perspective of what the SHTF is.

In my job, I see people everyday that for some the SHTF has already happened. For me, I personally wont change the way I behave or how I perceive people or how I would help them ..... It is already part of my job to do just that. It would just be ''another day in the office''.

As far as my job and Survival, well, the two are mutually compatible. I am well versed and practiced in both and so is my partner who also has the same job as me, though I am in the process of teaching my partner the survival aspect.

In all fairness, when a situation x occurs, number one priority is your family before thinking of outsiders, the same as in normal life.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

Do you fear who you are capable of becoming if the SHTF?
My core was created when I was young, and set in stone. And now, being over a half century old, I seriously doubt my values and sense of right and wrong will ever change,regardless. Whats right is right! I have lived my whole life with a flame instilled within me. During times it was nothing more than a very small spark hidden within me, but I always maintained it, and never let it go out. If I survive into the new world I pray that spark is allowed to grow into a raging forest fire.

A fear? None!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The only ones who should fear what I become are the ones who caused this mess.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join