It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you fear who you are capable of becoming if the SHTF?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If the SHTF in the worst sense, then I fear I would not be one to survive. I would imagine my ability to be self-sufficient will be so innate that I would be incapable of managing.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

I want to believe that I would help as many people as I can.
I want to believe that there will still be good in everybody.
I want to believe that I will still be treated fairly by other people.
I want to believe that no one would want to harm me.
I want to believe that I would never have to use the gun I bought for protection.

I am not such a fool that I would believe!!..I just hope!!..

But I will do what is to ensure survival of myself and those closest to me!!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
the SHTF all the time, all over the world, and has done for centuries. the pattern is, the civilian types, which is most of us, flee to escape immediate danger and flock/band together to rebuild and start again. where there's not alot of food in those groups, people tend to die quietly of starvation and disease, NOT go all rambo on others and start stealing and killing for food.

not sure why you guys think you'd be different. methinks you watch too many movies.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by ll__raine__ll]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

not sure why you guys think you'd be different. methinks you watch too many movies.

Course it may have an affect on things to. People in the past didn't have movies after all.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The best advice would be to avoid the situation, to be smart enough not to need to kill.
But if left with no other choice, i would have no problem.

Many say they would kill with no problem, but i wonder how many have
actualy picked up a gun and shot anything.. or shot a gun even.
To kill is not that simple, it requires a lot more than one would think.
Aiming and pulling a trigger are easy. Living with what you did, is another story.
My advice to many, if you are just thinking about getting a gun.. dont..
it will only get you hurt in the long run. Inexperience and bad/missed shots will be your downfall.
If you are experienced , especially the few hunters on here.. they will have no problem , they know what it means to take a life, be it human or animal.

I would do my best to avoid situations where i would have to make that decison. But if the warnings failed, i would feel sorry for anyone that posed a threat to my lil one. the 3S rule would be in full effect.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What if people just prepared themselves BEFORE the SHTF.
There is no reason why you can't grow your veg etc in your basement hydroponically and of course there is aquaponics if you wish to eat a little fish.

Even on youtube there are many clips telling you how to do this cheaply,..the part that seems most pricey is the grow light but I think if ya spring for these things before trouble is all around then most people could manage the cost.

Could get a small solar system, at least to power your grow light anywho.
and perhaps water purification system. Then make sure you live near a body of water, I guess.

Human kind does not need all that much to sustain life,..food, water, shelter,..
After you've set up yourself you could help set up your neighbors and friends and before you know they won't be tempted to eat you,...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well, it already HAS hit the fan. It's just different substances and different fans.

When you see that guy begging on the side of the road -- it's hit the fan for him. What are you doing about it? Driving by with your eyes averted? Donating to one of the local causes that helps them? Laughing and playing your music?

What about the elderly people in need of food and help with electrical bills?

How often do you call elderly relatives to see if they need help -- or is it "all about" you and your friends and the devil with the rest of the world?

When you see a news story, do you react in your own private world or do you sometimes reach out with assistance to those people?

Help with homeless animals?

Well, whatever it is that you do for others, when it hits the fan for you... that's what comes back to you. Are you a watcher? Well, others will watch. If you hide out by yourself with your guns, then nobody will come to help you because you've hidden yourself and shoot at things.

There's all this talk about glory and survival. But, the thing is, there are "it's the complete end" scenario for people everyday and everywhere in the world.

As you do, so you become. As you become, so the world gives back to you.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

we're quite self sustainable thanks, in a secluded spot with 3-5 months of food and water my partner has plenty of knowledge in growing food. we'll be fine thanks as long as people like you steer clear.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am kindo of in automatic piolet mode no matter what happens...I usuallty help when asked, and know that somehow what goes around comes around, when you don't try to think of the HOW.

I do know that I would have to get to a point of teaching a man to fish, rather than giving him my sons fish. I can allways fast, eat grass etc....\

I do know my fingers could get sticky if I don't feel my son would have enough....to me, NOT being able to help my neighbors would be sheer torture in itself, and if my son were to go, I would go too, since that would be the only thing I was fighting for.....not really afraid of death as long as my son is taken care of. He is my only real concern, and he is actually a piece of cake.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I will not hesitate to protect my family.
I will not hesitate to protect those that cannot in a time of strife.
I will not hesitate to pull the trigger for any reason I can justify within my self.
Having already been shot at and knowing how I react, I know I can prevail.
I know I will not victimize anyone.
I know what I know, there for I will survive!
Zindo

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I would not be afraid of who I'd become but would be satisfied. I think modern life is so far removed from our survival instinct (which should be on ALL the time) that it causes us to make wrong decisions from moment to moment constantly. We're basically never doing anything right. There is no solidarity between man and man in our society. We are atomized. For all our high-road talk of the great values of our society, we live none of them. People in agrarian independent villages live our highest values. Hunter gatherers live our values.

When it's do or die, I wouldn't worry. I'm one of those people who only feels free when I've got nothing left to lose, no choice, nothing higher to stand for. I welcome Situation X. We need to start over again without fossil fuels and nuclear power, which will surely be the downfall of man.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I which you and yours good luck. Lets hope nothing happens.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

I just wanted to suggest watching the movie "7 Samurai"

I dont know about you all but as of lately it seems like a lot of people are feeling like the SHTF is going to happen. In our town, fate has brought people of like minds together and we are in the middle of planning on how to form a micro community where learning skills in martial arts, meditation, farming, public speaking, etc. are shared, learned, tested, and applied. There is a saying that with in all of us is a devil and a god, it is our choice that brings them to reality. I feel that by people of like minds coming together helps increase numbers, and there is security in numbers or it can be turned into an army. All I can say is continue to meet people because life has a funny way of bringing people together. when meeting people, do good deeds so that they have some good memory of you. Continue to gain knowledge in areas of survival, martial arts, and spiritual development. This allows you to enjoy life and when the SHTF at least you have a smart/calm brain ready to deal with the situation.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by unite_life

The 6 stages of awareness by Chris Martenson
from www.chrismartenson.com

--------------------------------------------------

www.chrismartenson.com...
Today is about examining some data in a whole new way. I am going to provide you with a new framework for viewing this data, a scaffolding on which to drape this data, that is probably built a little differently than the one you already have. The information is absolutely vital and critical to your future, but it will be worthless if we examine it in the same way that it has been presented to us by what I’ll term ‘our popular culture.’

So your first opportunity today will be the opportunity to change your thinking.

I must warn you; this will not be easy for some of you. I know this from experience. You may well find yourself progressing through something akin to the five stages of grief throughout the day, and throughout the next few months. Awareness can be troubling enough to mirror the process of grief, and knowing this can be an important means of grounding oneself.

STAGE 1: You might begin with a series of statements to yourself such as “No way can this be true. There must be alternative explanations. This simply can’t be; I would have heard about it.” To help speed you through this stage of denial, I offer you full access to all the source data so that you can check it for yourself. Further, I only draw upon sources that most reasonable people would consider to be highly credible. If you can view all of the data that I will present and find some alternative set of explanations as to why/how all of these things will not matter, I need you to share this with me. Pronto.

STAGE 2: Next, you might find yourself full of anger, saying to yourself (and possibly your loved ones and anybody else that will listen), “Goddammit! Those bastards at the Fed, in the government, in media have been hiding things from me, lying, and serving their own interests at my expense. How dare they!!!” While anger is a perfectly normal and even healthy stage to pass though, it is also counterproductive, in the sense that anger often serves to inhibit action…and as you’ll see later, we don’t really have a lot of time to spend in the non-solution stage. So for everybody’s sake need you to move through this phase as rapidly as possible. This is also why you will not find me assigning blame and pointing fingers. Blame leads to anger and often a sense of victimization – both of which serve to inhibit taking action. Further, the blame game only serves to polarize people into opposing teams - and we’re all on the same team.

Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link
"post NO MORE THAN 15% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least)"

[edit on 20/11/08 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The point is there is NO REASON to ever quote more than 3 paragraphs.
It's not Kosher and it's simply wasting webspace since it's already online at another site...Springer

[edit on 20/11/08 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

are further along tend to catch grief from the people who are not. I ask that you be as respectful as possible of those who are in a slightly different place with all this and know that where they happen to be is right where they need to be at this moment.

Your faithful information scout,
Chris Martenson

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You know, people are basically good, but they can get tough and mean when their back is against the wall..You will do a lot more than you thought you were capable of, when your friends and family are in trouble or need..Sure, it would be hard to turn away people.. Survival of the fittest or at least the better prepared..You will do what you have to do. As for me I know what I'm capable of..I've spent most of my life hunting, trapping, fishing and basically living off the land..I already have a couple acres of land, here in central Alaska,it's stocked with what I need, so life wouldn't be that much different..I do feel sorry for people who live in large cities..The chaos will be intense. Hope you've got a good plan.The way things are looking,everybody needs a good plan

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Thank you for such a well thought out post! May the 7th step be HOPE!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow! some scary folks on here! You provide an excellent illustration for why my plans are to steer clear of society, and particularly "civilization", until the dust settles and the smoke clears.

I know exactly what I am capable of, and have no fear of myself. I've never killed anyone that didn't need killing, and don't forsee myself as having to in the future.

That said, some of the Rambo types scare the beejesus out of me. I ain't too worried about roving packs of zombies, but the fine folks that want to cancel my birth certificate just because they have supplies and don't know what I have worry me.

You should be aware that there are some of us in the wild who will ERASE people that threaten us, whatever the reason. The way I figure it, a house that suddenly bristles with rifle barrels just because I walk past it, and they fear that I might want to help myself to a bucket of their farina or whatever, well that place is simply too dangerous to exist.

I don't want your stuff.

nenothtu out

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join