Do you fear who you are capable of becoming if the SHTF?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There's a song that comes to mind while I was reading theses posts. some of the lyrics go- " I don't mind stealing bread, from the mouths of decadence, I'm going hungry"

On that note if our leaders put us the American people in that position then the S will definitely hit the fan- for them. I believe they would be targeted.

If we are talking about a complete collapse ( which I think is very unlikely ) it's everyone for themselves and their families. Curfews would be initiated, but not obeyed. We are resilient as a species. Most of us know right from wrong. Just because the SHTF, I don't think I would forfeit my morals.

That said I do have an armory. ( I'm from Texas ) If anyone tried to harm my family regardless if the SHTF or not there wouldn't be any hesitation to use said armory. I know how to grow crops, I know how to hunt, I know how to survive.

If the SHTF the omish and cult complexes would be well off. They are already prepared for this kind of thing, it's gospel to them.

All that said, yes I would steal to eat. I would never kill anyone unless they were trying to kill me or my family, period. My ethics and morals would not be comprimised in harsh times. We are supposed to help eachother in those times, not destroy what we have built.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
All I know is that my collection of assualt weapons would be put to good use if anyone came even remotely close to my family or stuff. I would be dissapearing into the deep mountains of VT where I have land and fresh water from the mountain and only one road access that would be very heavily guarded and blocked off. Good luck to any of you who dare to climb up.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's worrying to think that in a Sit X i could be picked off by somone from a distance while i was foraging for food, but it isn't unexpected.

Disappointing though. It could be a Sit X where there is a hostile and organised hunter force the last thing I'd want to worry about on top of that is some crazy taking pot shots at me because he thought I might have some crusts of bread in my pocket.

People can achieve so much more if they work together. How many people here could build a sturdy structure that would provide all year round protection from the elements for years?

I am more than capable of making myself some shelter in a survival situation, but I am happy to admit that building a log cabin is beyond me. Some people have the skills to do that with a little manual help from me, but not if I put a round through his head as soon as I clap eyes on him.

Just one example but there are many more where a group of survivors will be more than just the sum of it's parts.

Seems like everyone wants to be the lone wolf type.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I must say that, If push comes to shuve, I would kill people if I have to, I would do anything nessessery to ensure my survival.

That doesn't make me a bad person, does it?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tunedbeats

I can respect your opinion..So if this was to happen, what would you do in this scenario? I really doubt it will ever happen but there is nothing wrong with being prepared, look at the drills americans carried out in the fifties in the event of a nuclear detonation over US soil. Ive read some great posts here and I hope the people claiming that they have no problem pulling the trigger to protect life and property are true, My biggest fear is the potential fact that I may have to engage in combat against my fellow soldiers and american citizens..

[edit on 19-11-2008 by cmd18B]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
double WOW, you folks have been watching to many movies. Have any of you been in a war zone and had to shoot at people for real.
Once you take someone out...like bang...I'm still alive. Then you may puke your guts out but then you change. Mentally you change forever. You can't undo what you did and you will never be the same again.

If you REALLY think this is going to happen. You better learn how to live off the land. Like the Mountain Men and trappers of days gone by. You may have to get used to stealing your needed stuff cause money is worthless.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Funny this thread should come up and I know you are all worrying if you'd kill another human. Just the other day as I was feeding the local squirrels, I thought, 'wow, when the SHTF I wonder if I will have to eat them?' Being the vegan, animal activist that I am, my great fear at the moment was the fact that it may come to that. And what about the dogs and cats that start spilling into the streets? Dinner, I am sure. I know most will laugh at me, thinking how ridiculously naive, but that is my personality. BUT, when push comes to shove, and there's our only can of soup on the Coleman, and some dude tries to take it from my daughter, I'd probably rip his throat out. Hmm.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
I want to believe that I would help as many people as I can.
I want to believe that there will still be good in everybody.
I want to believe that I will still be treated fairly by other people.
I want to believe that no one would want to harm me.
I want to believe that I would never have to use the gun I bought for protection.

- I want to believe that everyone else out there, will be thinking the same as I am - that we need to work together to survive - not kill eacother to survive

- I want to believe that my "good" soul will remain in tact, and that I will still be the person who will GIVE you what I have, when you don't - and so you won't go without

- I want to believe that others will help me, in return for me helping them; And that they won't take advantage of my large heart

- I want to believe that no one will harm me, physically, mentally, or emotionally

- I want to believe that I will treat people fairly and will act as a peace-keeper amongh everyone, without taking sides..I want to be the justice

- I want to believe, that the small collection of guns me and Father own, will NEVER be used to hurt a human being.

- I want to believe that people, will be as honest as I am right now

However.

I've never been pushed to my ultimate limit, I have no idea WHAT I am capable of when the world goes to #.
I have no idea what person I will become.
I have no idea if I will still be able to give my jacket to the person without one.
I have no idea if I'll be able to take someone to lunch - by sharing my own food, when they have none.
I have no idea, if I can keep my trust in people from waivering.
I have no idea what I'll become.
I have no idea, what I'll do if it comes down to your life, or mine.
I have no idea what I'll do when you point that gun at my head.
I have no idea what I'll do when my finger is on the trigger, in a world where Firearms Saftey, doesn't matter.
I don't know...who I'll be.

I don't fear it. But I don't look forward to it either. I WANT to stay the same - however - I won't know what I'm made of, until it finally counts.

- Carrot

[edit on 11/19/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

No blujay that was a good post, I think what we are maybe all trying to say is that when it comes to loved ones we will do what it takes to protect them and my self preservation comes a very close second , I may even try and protect my ex wife but not her new husband...

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I will help no-one but my family, the rest are not to be trusted and can rot!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not really, Survival is my Human nature, while i believe in similar values, they are just not true.

I would not kill someone to take their assets like another mentioned,
but if i saw it i would kill them for natural justice/clean up the gene pool. That kind of moronic thought is cowardess, and can only be rewarded with The same punsihment.

I am not a Naturally Voilent Person, but will Kill someone with ease who tried to kill me.

I will also defend myself with ferocious force. If attacked.

If this Sitx happend, I have no problem with becoming a scavanger, as i am very adaptable, and can turn anything, into almost anything.

Not worried what i would turn into, Just what other would turn into.
And who i could trust.

Merry Christ mass

[edit on 24-12-2012 by monkeybus]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

In the end you and your family will die alone. Your kids will have no future. They will die alone.

Great plan dude. What a way to plan for the future.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have one fear. No it's not the dark. No it's not death. It's my instincts.

I pride myself on my kindness to strangers in need. I am very kind to people when I have more than enough to survive. However, I have once been in a situation (which I will not discuss) that my instinct to survive took over. I became conniving, deceitful, hateful, sneaky, malicious, and worst of all....
a killer. Never again do I wish this to be unraveled. At my very core, I know what every human has inside them. That is why I had to become that nightmare of a person. I'm actually shaking while typing this...

I pray to any and all Gods (I have none) that I have the will to suppress this thing that I will become if need be.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Agreed, It's exactly this situations where you need to form groups, everyone has their own jobs, day in day out.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

That sounds like a classic case of Schitzoprenia.
Get help. NOW

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What I fear is losing track of right versus wrong, not being able to discern those truly in need from those seeking to take advantage of my preparations.
Who will I become?
Same person I am now, amplified.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
people come out with some wierd thought of what they think they would be,

I think the people on here watch Waay to many movies.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You'll be the first to rot and die..then your family.

Such a wonderful plan you have there!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Ferengi]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

Don't worry to much about your instincts regarding good or bad deeds.

When you really start to suffer you dont become aggressive like violent.
Like some people in here would like to think.
You actually become more social, And would seek out other people for help. That's the instinct that will power your survival in bad times.

The only think you might want to think about is the event it self. When the SHIIIT IS HITTING THE FAN. If your emotions are blocking you from acting it might kill you or they might hurt others.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Prudence alone will dictate that blind trust is something that one should guard against. Your location, population concentration, terrain, preparation, basic needs, weapons, stored items, and the severity of the local SHTF situation will dictate what level of interaction a person will be required to participate in.

The very safest situation is a state of isolation, with plenty of necessities put aside, in a well defended, unapproachable location. But no one will have that ideal state.

You aren't entirely wrong, nor are others who would prefer to band with others. Each situation will be different.

Prudence. Necessity. Preference. These three elements will be blended to varying degrees differently be each unit depending on their situation of the moment.

Foolish people for example can be more of a liability to a group than any other element. They won't follow necessary precaution, they won't comply with group needs, and so on, and they must be cut from the group. But when cut, that group as a rule must immediately relocate. Their "new friends" may want what you have with this inside information.

A lot to think about. And the situation can change from hour to hour, week to week, month to month.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join