It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreams based on surroundings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This started happening a lot recently, for like a few days in a row then it stopped..

But I'd be hanging out with my roommates in my living room, maybe like 3 of us, either the tv is on or somones playing the 360, and I'd just get tired so I'd lay down on the couch at the side (we have 3 couches in a U shape with a coffee table in the middle).

I was laying on the couch, sleeping, and I kept getting woken up because some of our friends stopped by our place to hang out, but I was still sleeping on the couch, and I was in that 'half-asleep' state, where you hear everyone around you talking but you just want to fall back asleep so you don't really move you just adjust your positioning and fall back asleep. I could keep hearing them saying "is he sleeping? haha" "yeah chucks sleeping, leave him alone haha", etc, just random stuff like that which people would say.

But the whole time this was the dream... I woke up, and nobody actually had ever come over. It felt SO real. I had even changed couches in the dream in a groggy half-awake state, but when I woke up I was on the original couch.
For a few days stuff like this happened EVERY time I napped. Every dream was me being half awake at wherever i fell asleep, and then normal stuff happening around me (which I thought was waking me up, but this was the dream.. my dream was me being in the half awake state, noticing things around me that weren't actually happening).

Is this weird? Has this happened to anyone here?

PS. My other strange most recent dream was with myself, my brother and his friend..the dream was really long, I remembered most of it, but near the end of it we were supposed to drive to another town, but I started getting tired so I went to my mom's house and found a bed and went to sleep in it... whenever I fell asleep in the dream I would actually wake up, like for real.. because my cell phone beeped or whatever, I'd turn it off, and go back to bed.. but when I fell back asleep, the dream started as my brother's friend trying to wake me up. But this happened a few times right after, like I was saying "yeah man ok i'll be up in a sec", then I fell asleep in the dream again, woke up for real again for no reason... then I'd fall back asleep to the same thing, him waking me up being like "cmon man stop falling asleep we gotta go we're gonna be late"..
THIS creeped me out.. lol it was like there was another dream world and they wanted me to keep dreaming

[edit on 14-11-2008 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have had dreams where i wake up and fall back asleep all in the dream. It's not uncommon for me to have the same thing. It doesn't happen often.

What gets really weird is when you realize that you are dreaming it all while you are still dreaming. (not sure if that makes sense) When that happens I normally start to freak out because i loose all control of motor functions in the dream and have to fight myself to wake up. I think its a transition from one to another but it always messes with me.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
welcome to the pandora's box of dreamtime. there are names for several of the experiences you have had, of which 'lucid dreaming', and possibly 'astral dreaming' are of relevance.

though, as are most profound experiences, dreams are very personal.

if you fealt the dream wished to 'keep you inside' the dream, this event could be interpretted as an initiation of sorts into the 'dreamtime'.

or your sleeping mind's playing games with your waking mind.

hard to say sometimes.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by mythos]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dantrav
I have had dreams where i wake up and fall back asleep all in the dream. It's not uncommon for me to have the same thing. It doesn't happen often.

What gets really weird is when you realize that you are dreaming it all while you are still dreaming. (not sure if that makes sense) When that happens I normally start to freak out because i loose all control of motor functions in the dream and have to fight myself to wake up. I think its a transition from one to another but it always messes with me.

Lol that reminds me of a dream I had a few years ago as a kid, I couldn't wait for it to be summer because I really wanted to go to my cottage, so i guess I kept thinking about this and it ended up with me having a dream that I was sitting at the table at my cottage eating dinner with my mom, and everything felt real.. like my dreams are normally skewed or messed up somehow but for some reason this felt real. then at one point I suddenly got really disappointed and I looked at my mom and asked "is this a dream? am I dreaming?" then she kind of looked down at her plate to avoid eye contact as if she didn't want to answer, because she knew it would make me sad. at that point i woke up, and was like "ahh maaaan".

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I often fall asleep thinking of something important which happened or which is going to happen. Because of this I often dream about the said event/s.
Most of the time a fear about said event/s is realized and subsequently dealt with.
It has often been said, by many a person, Let me sleep on it.
This is not just a trivial phrase. If one may have the determination to truly set their mind into motion about something in particular, the subconscious will pick up where the conscious leaves off upon entering the dreaming state. Thus, not being bound by the conventional rules of though, while awake, may serve to better explore ones options/choices.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
you should get the DVD of a movie called WAKING LIFE

It might help you to understand whats going on with you......or not.

Its a cool movie, with the topic of dream states, and trying to be able to tell when your dreaming and when your not...and puts the question of what is really real into play.........

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dantrav

Man, I freaking hate this! I have a lucid dream, then I wake up, in another dream, and tell myself, "oh I was dreaming" - except I'm in a false reality: another dream. then I wake up the second time, and realize I'm "really" awake, and I'm exhausted and can't think straight

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I had this happen to me once. I was trapped in a waking dream. I "woke up" 5 times in one dream. And every time I would at first be relieved that I was awake, but within seconds realised that I was still asleep!

At one point I thought to myself, "Is this what happens to Coma patients? Do they just fall into a waking dream they can't get out of??" Of course this was my absolutely calm rationale as I began to get completely hysterical in my dream. It took me two hours after I finally woke up, to convince myself to get back into bed.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
if im dreaming and realise im dreaming i suddenly get the overwhelming urge to wake myself. as if i think that if i dont wake up now, i might never wake up. and when i do wake up i feel afraid to go back to sleep. it happens every now and again.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

Reading for some high-weirdness? Are you going to take the Red pill or the Blue pills? This dream is something that probably falls into the "other" category as far as interpretations go. These events of witnessing a reality that isn't real is a way your subconscious is making apparent to you the idea that we exist in a "multi-verse" of sorts of possibility. While the reality you experience in relative "dream land" is very close to this waking reality, it's slightly off in terms of frequency and in "normal" conditions is invisible. However, these experiences maybe due to realizations or revaluations in your life that have given way to the perception of new choices. Are you kind of noticing more "things" these days or anything like that by chance?

As far as the 2nd dream, there is a 2nd world out there to explore in a sense and dreaming is one of the doorways. That friend or the symbol of your friend as you see him is trying to wake your conscious mind up to this fact.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dantrav

It's called a lucid dream. I am a natural lucid dreamer and the biggest thing one has to learn to control is your own response to the situation like you said. Fear makes everything more complicated there, so if you're afraid you're in a dream, guess what? You might just end up in a "nightmare" of sorts. If you embrace and accept the fact that you can exist in that state too, you'll have a very empowering dream that will leave you revitalized when you wake up.

new topics

top topics

join