It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Gay Marriage Proponents Attack Elderly Woman

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WickedStar

The prop 8 protesters weren't stomping on the cross because it is a symbol of Christanity - they were stomping on it because these "Christians" were using it as a tool of oppression. And let me also add. When that lady used the symbol of Pure Compassion as a tool of biggoted oppression she denigrated and ruined it first - the protesters just followed suit. And truthfully - it needed to be done.
Superb! Absolutely superb!
Just wanted to repeat it here to be sure everyone heard you.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

all due respect mate,that's pish and you knows it. I know "some" old people can suffer with debilitating mental illnesses. My gramps passed away early last year from Alzthiemers. It's a horrific thing to go through. But jumpingthe gun and just saying "oh,she didn't know what she was doing because she's old" is a strawman arguemtn,because there's NO PROOF that she has any sort of dementia.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

i'm a woman.

and i'm 50.

and i'm also a christian.

but i would not, NOT, go rushing into a crowd of angry gay men swinging a sign or symbol around that depicts what they view as their problem to begin with. besides that, i don't think it's right to withhold them the same rights the rest of society has. the idea that marriage is sacred is not the purview of government. that's a heavenly issue. and until the gov can prove it is God, it has no business telling people what is and isn't sacred - only what is and isn't fair and equitable treatment of fellow humans.

i betcha your family members wouldn't rush in there either. if they were going to go, they'd go with a support group, just like the gay men did who showed up for the rally.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Nothing says "respect our beliefs" quite like assaulting an old woman and stomping on her cross for not respecting your beliefs.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue of gay rights. Nobody is asking that their "beliefs be respected". They are demanding their RIGHTS. And sometimes that isn't pretty. If gay people were given the same rights as the rest of us are, they wouldn't be protesting!

The anti-gay part of our society is capping the rights of a group of people.

If my rights were being withheld, infringed upon or disallowed, after so many years, I might be pretty angry and start behaving in a way that people wouldn't approve.

It's not working to simply ask for their rights. What are they supposed to do? Just accept that they're a second-class citizen who doesn't have the same rights as all the straight people in the country?

This is going to remain nasty until gay people's rights are protected by law. Just like ours are. And I will stand by them and support them in their fight to get the same rights protected by law, as the Constitution proclaims.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
reply to post by undo

all due respect mate,that's pish and you knows it. I know "some" old people can suffer with debilitating mental illnesses. My gramps passed away early last year from Alzthiemers. It's a horrific thing to go through. But jumpingthe gun and just saying "oh,she didn't know what she was doing because she's old" is a strawman arguemtn,because there's NO PROOF that she has any sort of dementia.

Not only that, it is just not even plausible.

The foresight, planning and psychological strength required to get ready to go to a rally, let alone go to a rally you are *opposed* to is just not consistent with the behavior of people who are senile. She had to procure an enormous cross, find the address of the rally, drive there. People who go to rallies are either 1. extremely tenacious and self motivated or 2. friends of somebody who is extremely tenacious and motivated, are tagging along due to peer pressure, and didn't have anything better to do.

Since she was alone there, I take it she's #1. It doesn't fit with senility.

-rrr

-rrr

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

i agree but you better also stand by that elderly lady's right to speak her mind (even if you disagree with it) without being forcibly relieved of her belongings and shoved about by people's bellies!

TWO-WAY STREET FOLKS.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

How come us atheists and agnostics are not prevented from getting married?

-rrr

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

well let me put it another way! does it make any sense that an elderly woman would go to a rally of angry gay MEN, and incite them? it shows she's not the least bit concerned over whether they hurt her or not. she's not aware of the danger to her well-being or suicidal.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

i don't think it's right to withhold gay people the same rights the rest of society has. the idea that marriage is sacred is not the purview of government. that's a heavenly issue. and until the gov can prove it is God, it has no business telling people what is and isn't sacred - only what is and isn't fair and equitable treatment of fellow humans. that's the way the USA was set up once it freed itself of papal writ.

DON'T EVEN GO THERE WITH ME.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

well let me put it another way! does it make any sense that an elderly woman would go to a rally of angry gay MEN, and incite them? it shows she's not the least bit concerned over whether they hurt her or not. she's not aware of the danger to her well-being or suicidal.
fundamentalists aren't always renowned for their intelligence though
Don't mean she was mentlar murdock. (I am not calling all christians fundies with this comment BTW,just the fundy ones)

anyway,home time. Peace out people. Love to all.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Change the title. She was not attacked. She had that pompous 2 foot cross grabbed out of her hands and stomped on. Which I feel was completely justified. They also did something we should all do more often, don't put up with Bull crap. That woman's ideas, opinions, feelings, on gay marriage are irrelevant. She should keep her mouth shut, same with anyone else opposed to gay marriage. You have no right to deny them. Let God do what he wants to do, you stay out of it.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

A Christian pushing the envelope because they are passionate and loyal to their beliefs.... does that make sense?

I depends on the person. A Christian that is devoted will do very risky things if they are consistent with what they believe. Talking to strangers and knocking on doors to spread the Gospel is not something the average person is comfortable doing, only a very devoted Christian or a salesman has the guts to do stuff like that. But a Christian that is not very devoted but simply says they are (without actually participating that much) probably would not. There is a gray area in between I suppose. What kind of Christian do you think she is? Senile but not very devoted or very devoted and not senile? What about Senile and devoted? I suppose it is in the realm of the possible, but then again, since anything is possible, whats the point of such an argument?

-rrr

link   
This is not a surprise, but it is a travesty. Unfortunately, I expect it to be the first of many.

I earned long ago that if I hit someone, they will (try to) hit me back. It wasn't in math class or history class; it was on the playground. I can't count the number of times I saw an accidental push turn into a slap, then into a blow, then into more blows, and finally into two kids rolling around on the ground, locked in what to them was mortal combat, with a teacher required to separate them. In later years in school, I saw the fighting continue after school, and in many cases, someone was hurt pretty bad.

All that could have been avoided with a simple, quick, heartfelt "sorry dude, really" statement at the first. I learned that lesson pretty quickly, but others seemed to have a much harder time with it.

That's what we have here. The 'right to marry' agenda came to light. It gained so much fervor that voters approved CA Prop 22 in (over?)response. Then supporters of gay marriage took Prop 22 to the CA courts and demanded that it be struck down. It was, as unconstitutional. The voters then amended the Constitution of CA under Prop 8. Now the next step is supposedly to have that struck down as well by a judge. The problem is that that cannot happen according to law.

No one is going to back down, no one is going to retreat. The only avenue left to the opposition to Prop 8 is violence and anger, and such requires a common enemy. As expected, such is against this nebulous enemy called 'Christianity'. So they harass an old lady and stomp on her cross. (BTW, the video did not load for me; I am going by the comments I have seen on this thread.)

New gauntlet thrown down: gay rights vs. Christianity. Now we have a new, harder line drawn in the sand. If you aren't against Prop 8 unconditionally, you must be one of those evil Christians, and we hate your cross, we hate your Savior, and you should be stripped of your right to speak! If you are for Prop 8, you must hate everything that is good and decent in the world and want to imbibe our children with your evil ways.

Nope, neither side will budge. Forget that they might be doing harm to someone else; what's important is that they get their way. Today we hear of an old lady being taunted and having her personal property damaged, tomorrow we will hear of open hostility toward gays. A week from now someone will try to burn down a church. A week more and a group of gays will be found shot to death. Another month and riots will be happening across the state. Look ahead of you, people! It's not hard to see! It's been happening since grammar school, and that is a lot more recent for most of you than it is for me.

Violence is not the answer, and I don't really care about your cause anymore. I don't care about your equal rights or your sob stories about the poor guy who couldn't get in to see his significant other in the hospital. I used to care, but you have forced me to look to bigger things: the very foundation of society.

Please, please, I beg of you, especially the gay rights side, but also the Prop 8 supporters, do not destroy everything you hold dear. Do not go down this road of hatred you both claim to abhor.

And I also warn both sides: If you choose to create a war, leave it behind when you are in my presence. Be very, very happy that was not my mother being harassed. I'm on neither side, and I do not play physical games such as these.

TheRedneck

link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

listen, you don't want to go this route. you can't justify having people's property grabbed out of their hands. it doesn't work. it's called the theft.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

i agree but you better also stand by that elderly lady's right to speak her mind (even if you disagree with it) without being forcibly relieved of her belongings and shoved about by people's bellies!

She's an idiot for going to a gay rights rally and trying to take them on single-handedly.

The First Amendment protects people's speech FROM THE GOVERNMENT. Not from other people. A person's own common sense should protect her from entering a throng of people to explain why you think they're second class citizens.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

That video made me LOL! But seriously...that old woman was provoking a large angry crowd full of gay men. While I don't agree with them pulling away things from her hands, it shouldn't be difficult to see how was simply there as a provocateur.

Lets hope you keep the same stupid stance when cops beat the crap out of idiots who PROVOKE them. Oh wait...thats right, cops are supposed to just take it and stand their...GAYS and other retards are allowed to lash out then make excuses as to why they SHOULD of been allowed to act like total rejects....just one more example of the USA turning into utter crap.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

what do you mean "not devoted?" devotion isn't comprised of insisting people follow your religious convictions, in fact it says, if they say they don't want to hear it, brush the dust off and move on.
it's not that hard to understand that's why i think she was taking a massive risk, which to me seems senile. maybe not! but chances are alot greater that her lack of common sense in the situation was related to her inability to make sound judgment calls for her own well being. if you think it's an agenda, why didn't more people show up to support her?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

i don't think it's right to withhold gay people the same rights the rest of society has. the idea that marriage is sacred is not the purview of government. that's a heavenly issue. and until the gov can prove it is God, it has no business telling people what is and isn't sacred - only what is and isn't fair and equitable treatment of fellow humans. that's the way the USA was set up once it freed itself of papal writ.

DON'T EVEN GO THERE WITH ME.

Hold on a second? why can't you go there? it's a fair question. Should atheists be denied the right to get married? How come being an atheist makes it a non issue? could it be because atheists don't hold the word "marriage" to the same definition? I think that is most likely why. They don't really mean "marriage" in the sacred sense. They simply mean "marriage" in the secular sense as in "I am going to live with you, probably sleep with you and maybe have children for as long as possible, hope forever" I think it is fair to say that this definition of marriage is pretty much well understood by many people in the secular sense, even if marriage is also a sacrament in most religions.

This would seem to imply that atheist gays should be allowed to marry since they are first and foremost atheists and clearly "don't mean it in the sacrament sense". But the fact that atheism is avoided in the discussion suggests a double standard doesn't it?

-rrr

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I am quite sure this kind of stupid babble wouldn't come out of you if this was a lone gay at an ANTI-GAY protest...then all of a sudden it would be the other way around...

You would be 100% WRONG.

If a gay man went into an anti-gay protest or a church in his most "attractive attire" and danced like a flamer and was attacked by the protesters or congregation, I would ABSOLUTELY say the same thing.

He was an idiot for going in there in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join