It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Far more deadly than eating disorders, yet increasingly socially acceptable.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by someone

No, it will not be a fat vaccine when you can have from plastic surgery to all the goodies from our friends the pharma to take care of you problem.

As long as is money to make a cure will never be taken into consideration, just like the many diseases that are plaguing humanity, why creating a cure when the treatments are more profitable.

A life time treatment means a cow that can be milk for years to come.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Of course, that was sarcasm, because I spend a good portion of my posts complaining about Big Pharma and their vaccines.

DOn't forget to add the self-help and diet fad industries to that list.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Thanks for your insights.

While I can attest to what you said--the quickest and best way to loose weight, IMO, is to cook everything possible from basic ingrediants--my main point was that the media seems to consider obesity less dangerous than a traditional eating disorder, when it is in fact just as deadly.

GREAT POST! Here's why. Short story, I was SUPER thin my entire life until about 14, at that point I hurt my knee really bad, quit snowboarding, quit football, and practically lived on my computer. I got chubby, I was never obese but I was definitely overweight. At age 16, due to cheeky comments from friends and family I made the decision to lose the weight and get back into being a social person.

During being overweight, I was extremely self conscious and did not want to hang out with any peers it was insanely crippling and I was definitely not a genuinely happy kid.

I dropped the weight quickly and returned to be almost too skinny and I was asked about it all the time by people who were still overweight wondering how I had seemingly magically lost the weight.

The thing is I was never genetically prone to be overweight, I had simply gotten that weigh because of an extremely sedentary life style as well as consuming almost all processed foods, and soda.

THE TRICK TO MY WEIGHT LOSS. Replaced ALL pop with an alternative, sometimes a bit of juice (though not the best substitute) mainly water. I then quit consuming the processed foods, pretty much any pre-packaged entrees from the supermarket. They are laden with horrible ingredients including MSG.

Additionally I now do not eat food at any 'fast' food location that I know uses MSG, most companies either declare one way or the other on that subject. Tim Hortons ( huge here in canada) is one company that does not use MSG in any product they offer. One of the franchises I own, Jugo Juice (only a couple locations in the states, mainly canada) we do not use MSG.

ATS READER CHALLENGE: If you feel your overweight in anyway, and aren't happy about it and have tried to lose the weight do the following, go to your cupboard and look at the ingredients on the packages of the food you eat everyday. I guarantee that MSG will be on most if not ALL of those packages.

MSG Is the ultimate get you fat ingredient and even if you reduce your total calories in a day to below your needed calories (which should result in weight loss if maintained) you can still gain weight if your diet includes MSG. Stop consuming ANY MSG, and quit consuming artificial sweeteners and the weight will literally melt off you. And to the reply, COOK your own food, start with packaged ingredients if you HAVE to, and make sure they don't include MSG in them. Im not the best cook, or do I have the patience and time, so when I do prepare food, I prepare enough for a week and portion it into the fridge.

EDIT SIDE NOTE: Also, now at a healthy weight, and good muscle tone, if I do accidentally or intentionally eat a restaurant such as McDonald's or anywhere that I know I have just consumed a high MSG meal, the next day I almost ALWAYS notice a bit of a 'ponch' on my abs.

My thoughts on obesity: As someone mentioned in this thread, there is 100% no doubt that peoples emotions are directly linked to the beginning of obesity. Once the person is stuck in the vicious cycle, the garbage food they eat does the rest of the work.

Though you may hear the odd propaganda about these big fat women who are "HAPPY" and "ENJOY" and "WANT" to be overweight. I would put a safe estimation that approx. 98% of those claims are made simply to make themselves feel better and aren't a true reflection of their feelings.

How would you as an average weight person feel about, never finding a beautiful partner to spend your life with, being stared at everytime you go out, not being able to move through your day to day life without being winded, being so self conscious of your weight that you would rather stay in than go out? How would you feel if eating was your only way to deal with your feelings? How would you feel being so fat, your wink has shriveled up and u can hardly see it?

Being obese is in no way, a happy thing and the people who claim that are simply to lazy to change it. There's absolutely NO way that any 300 pound women or man, would live a day like that, then given the option to "instantly" go to a normal weight and live a day like that, that they would CHOOSE to be the overweight person.

The whole FAT rights movement completely sickens me, if your old, fat, and bitter keep it to yourself. But these people then indoctrinate young fat kids to lead the same life instead of encouraging them to lead active, healthy live styles where in turn they will be HAPPIER.

If you have kids and are reading this, and they are overweight, do EVERYTHING you can to help them return to a normal life cause the bottom line is that you don't have to AGREE with what is socially acceptable these days, but the reality is that your kids must LIVE with it, when they leave your house for 8 hours to sit in school. If they are overweight and unhappy with their weight (as I was for 2 years of early highschool) those 8 hours are hell, not happy. And I was NEVER picked on, I simply hated the feeling of being overweight in a school of mostly not overweight students. But, your kids most likely will get picked on and thats not something you or anyone wants for your kids. But thats reality.

Sorry my 2 cents became 80 cents.. or something. Have a good one ATS

[edit on 28-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Thank you for your thoughts, and congratulations on your success in losing weight!

YOu bring up some good points and I think your post highlights that no matter what kind of surgery, pill, diet, and excercise is involved, the overweight person is not going to be sucessful unless they have the conviction to stick trhough the difficulties involved in losing the weight.

I hate to see fat children. It's one thing to let yourself go, but I can't fathom how a parent could let their child get fat and unhealthy! It borders on child abuse IMO.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Thank you for your thoughts, and congratulations on your success in losing weight!

YOu bring up some good points and I think your post highlights that no matter what kind of surgery, pill, diet, and excercise is involved, the overweight person is not going to be sucessful unless they have the conviction to stick trhough the difficulties involved in losing the weight.

I hate to see fat children. It's one thing to let yourself go, but I can't fathom how a parent could let their child get fat and unhealthy! It borders on child abuse IMO.

100% CHILD ABUSE. Like I said, I dont give a damn if YOU agree with society, but your children have NO CHOICE cause they are forced to take part in social things such as highschool and you literally make it hell for them, while you think your being a good parent making them fat. YOUR NOT!

But one thing you mentioned "the overweight person is not going to be sucessful unless they have the conviction to stick trhough the difficulties involved in losing the weight."

I want to re-clarify here, during my 'weight loss' which was approx 50 pounds over a few months, I NEVER ONCE went to the gym, went for a jog, or did any other form of planned exercise. I simply reengaged with the world, getting out and seeing people and doing things. For overweight people, something as simple as walking is more exercise than they would normally do sitting on their ass in front of the couch. Just doing more outside of your house is enough exercise.

Thats the myth that perpetuated here because people are SO HIGHLY mis-informed about their health and weight. Losing weight is NOT hard, you've been taught to think that, and you've been taught to think that the foods you are consuming are healthy. Which ARE NOT!

Lose weight easily, CUT ALL MSG, CUT ALL ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS, DRINK WATER. If you follow JUST those 3 simple things, for 2 weeks I guarantee weight loss. And if you don't then you're not following those rules bottom line. I have seen this work for me and many other people that I suggested it to.

I can't find the study, but I recall hearing about a study that tested two groups, people who drank real soda, and those who drank diet soda (filled with horrors such as aspartame) the group that drank diet soda, on average gained MORE weight than the 'control' group drinking real soda, loaded with sugar.,

SIDE NOTE: If at any time you go take a 'pee break' and notice that instead of clear pee, it's yellowy, you are dehydrated. Drink WATER, not juice, not pop, not beer, nothing, but water.

Thats another thing that this thread doesn't even begin to touch on is how your health affects the way you feel. Being dehydrated alone causes a long list of symptoms including nausea, headaches, dizzyness, upset stomach, etc which is when most misinformed people grab for an advil or some other form of garbage to consume putting a bandaid over their severed leg.

This world needs to quit treating symptoms, treat the problem. If you find yourself generally uncomfortable, or feeling some of the symptoms above (www.symptomsofdehydration.com...) drink some water and you will FEEEELLL BETTTTTERRR!!!

[edit on 28-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I would agree with you, I lost 60 pounds in the year of 2007, a bit less than 40 punds of baby weingt and 20 additional.

I hardly worked out for more than that, just watched my caloric intake, ate from scratch, and stayed mentally stimulated.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
you have a point....

....but i likes a woman with meat on her bones.

BTW...look at my user name. I are one. But i have also worked dilligently with my children to make sure that they get a healthy start. I did, and only put on weight after "retiring" from football (i played through college).

"Meat on her bones" is entirely different than unhealthily overweight.

I'm calling out the attitude that says, no matter how fat you are, it's okay, as long as you have a positive self-image.

honestly, my faith explains that we are all here to walk a path. so walk my path i must.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't tie it in to faith at all...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you mean, I didn't tie it in to faith at all...

i know. and this discussion doesn't really center around faith.

let me explain:

obesity is a condition. one should do their best to keep their body in as good a shape as possible. however, if it is something that is driven by a desire to look a certain way, it should not be a consideration. The "want" is what will cause the greater suffering tot he individual. i am buddhist, so i see life as being longer than this experience. i understand the damage to my body in this experience is going to affect this experience (thus, the need to ensure a healthy body). However, my path was laid out for me before i was born. My job is to simply walk this path. if i am meant to overcome an issue, then my hard work will be rewarded. if i am not, then it won't.

i think more important is what is causing the epidemic. It could just boil down to a culture that has learned to poison itself with satiated desire? I love McD's Big Mac, but how many of those can my body tolerate?

And when does the "happy" part start to happen if i am constantly stressing over body fat? The desire or want of something is the cause of true suffering, even if that want is a Big Mac.

yes, obesity is dangerous. but it is a cosmetic issue that is a more shallow danger than other considerations which frequently are juxtaposed against each other.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

OK thanks for explaining!

It is important what you say... the want to "look good" shoudl come more from wanting to be healthy no matter how that looks that from trying to meet a certain ideal, but our society is certainly not conducive to that!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

It's no wonder why the mainstream image of beauty if thin, and not obese. It's because a species we are hardwired to find the most suitable women to have our kids, thus ensuring our kids survival.

When most look at an obese person, their thoughts are mere overtones to the fact that their brain has given them the hard-wired response of "not suitable for mating", but society has magnified the negative thoughts associated with obesity.

A thin girl reflects health and thus a more suitable mate. Also, what features and shapes make a person attractive are also not something forced on us by mainstream, our bodies are again hardwired to note facial shape, body shape etc because good shape reflects to good genes. A normal person can usually not articulate these facts, but they are what drive us.

Though I am not saying media is perpetuating the most ideal view of 'health', it is our own instincts that have chosen this look for us, for if a obese people were more apt to survive, then surely thats what we would see on the cover of every magazine.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I know is sarcasm, the diet and cosmetic industries are on the top of the list, for one side you are told that been overweight is unhealthy but for the other side you get encourage to keep the unhealthy practices that may have gotten into a health problems because is always a pill and diet or tuck and nick to take care of the problem,as long as you can afford it.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I believe that it is due to the fact that obesity is far more common than anorexia or bulimia. However, I would call obesity a eating disorder in and of itself. I think it is acceptable, because America is becoming increasingly lazy. A great deal of our Dr.'s and legislators are obese, therefore less is done about changing it.

Besides, you can sue McDonald's for making you fat, but you never hear of anyone suing ex-lax for making them too skinny. We all know how Americans love to sue people.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I would disagree. Thin does not look any more healthy than overweight.

If anything overweight would probably be more appealing to those basic survival instincts, because they do not look starving.

Thin models tend to be chosen more because of visual principal than anything.

My point was that the media favors thin woman for advertising at all, or that it tries to be define beuty for us. That's tangential, and I bet if there were "average sized" women used primarily for advertizing, the same people would be up in arms saying they are promoting obesity. It was that the media diminishes or even decries the fact that there are deadly health effects associated with obesity.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I believe that it is due to the fact that obesity is far more common than anorexia or bulimia. However, I would call obesity a eating disorder in and of itself. I think it is acceptable, because America is becoming increasingly lazy. A great deal of our Dr.'s and legislators are obese, therefore less is done about changing it.

Besides, you can sue McDonald's for making you fat, but you never hear of anyone suing ex-lax for making them too skinny. We all know how Americans love to sue people.

I think you may be on to something there.

I guess as long as something like anorexia is reletively uncommon... it is a problem.... but when it's very common, then it becomes an alternate lifestyle.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

exactly.

and it may be that vanity is as epidemic as obesity...i am unsure.

I do believe that Colorado is "healthier". I lived in Laramie, WY for a year, and the folks in Colorado and WY are much more active outdoors than in other areas i have lived.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

They certainly are. It seemed like ever car I ever saw there had a bike rack on top. But there again there is more to do there--they really push the outdoors activities in their local economies and cultures.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

that is true. i actually wasn't too fond of it, sometimes. my son (who is a Duke TiPS kid) lost ground in math and english while in laramie. but he learned how to ski, and how to identify edible plants and berries.

they wouldn't let the kids inside the school unless it was below 0. LOL...my wife was freaking out. The kids didn't get sick the entire winter (winter lasted 10 months).

now that we are back in Texas, i have to remind her that 40 is not cold.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Oh yes it is!

I was freeezing last night...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't agree that obesity is socially acceptable at all.
Shows like the Biggest Loser portray over weight people in less than a favourable light and there is no way a show of a similiar theme for anorexics or bullimics would even get on TV. It would be perceived as cruel.
And yet, obesity, anorexia , bullimia are all self induced conditions.
And they are all emotional eating disorders.

I hate to be blunt on childhhood obesity, but the reason why so many children are overweight these days is because they have been abandoned. Comfort food has taken the place of parental love and attention. When there were mothers who were stay at home mums, obese kids were rare rather than in the numbers we see today.

Of course, it's unPC to tell the truth these days.
It really isn't about laziness or not having good food available.
It's about kids stuffing their faces to fill a void in their lives.

It's about calorie intake, not how much fatty food you eat.
You can get just as fat gorging on bananas and apples as you can on anything else. If you go over your calorie allowance you will put on weight.
No matter what kind of food you eat.
Which is why you see skinny people gorging at McDonalds with no ill effect.
That probably is the only thing they'll eat all day.
So junk food in and of itself won't make you fat if you stay within the amount of calories you're allowed to have.

And just because an overweight person has self esteem doesn't necessarily mean that they will be overweight for all eternity.
Over weight people with some sort of self love have a higher chance of losing weight eventually than people who hate/loathe themselves.

I have no links for any of this. It's just something that I have noticed by working in the nursing profession. My opinion is anecdotal only.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join