It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Far more deadly than eating disorders, yet increasingly socially acceptable.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
yeah. the diet companies make an ungodly amount of money every year by people trying to have the same figure as supermodels which are like less than 1 percent of what the population in the world actually look like.

dont people understand that they are naturally tiny, exercise with expensive personal trainers, AND have nutritionists.. to be in that shape?

A normal person cant, nor will never look that way. It just doesnt happen. The ads everywhere in magazines and the people you see on tv are just unrealistic.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

You don't think people should strive to be thin?

Do you think being fat is okay?

How do you think the people that are fat feel about their weight?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
huh?

I said people have unrealistic views on what their bodies should or can look like.

I never said being fat is okay.. but i also said many people, no matter how much they diet or exercise can look like supermodels.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Maybe they shouldn't try to look like a supermodel but I think it's possible for people to be around 100-120 pounds, and, I don't think that is a completely unrealistic goal. My target weight right now is to be at 125 pounds. I don't think that being that thin is a completely unrealistic goal to strive after. I think it's all possible. Of course, I think the question is not what people try to look like, but, how to prevent one from being obese in the first place.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

You don't think people should strive to be thin?

Do you think being fat is okay?

How do you think the people that are fat feel about their weight?

Everybody should be healthy for their appropriate body type.

That may not be what we consider "thin." It varies greatly according to height, gender, genetics, and even to an extend occupation.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Of course, I'm just saying that people should try to be healthy, but, not for the reasons that these ads on TV try to suggest to you.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah i mean... people arent all meant to be super thin. For many, it is not healthy. Certain people are just larger and thats how they should be. There is a difference between just being plain fat and lazy, and being in a healthy, good weight for your body type and exercising to keep tone and muscle.

People shouldnt strive to be super thin. That isnt healthy, and you shouldnt lose weight just to be skinny. It should only be for your health and well-being

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Of course. Being super thin isn't for everyone. I just think that the idea that being fat is okay should go out of many people's psych.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Not even the supermodels you keep referring too are as thin as they are made out in the magazines as it is a fact that those pictures have been airbrushed so the model loses an inch or so off her waist.
Some women just go over the top! Look at Victoria Beckham. You can't tell me she looks healthy! A touch of flu could kill her off.. .
Most people need at least a little fat on their bones just to allow their bodies to get by incase they're ill etc. Something for the body to live on while the person is inactive or unconscious. Starving yourself down to 100Lbs /120Lbs is not good for you if you're on or near six foot tall and have an active life.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no ideal weight! It varies from person to person. . . "

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join