It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Far more deadly than eating disorders, yet increasingly socially acceptable.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread, I wanted to mention this somewhere at some point.

From experience, I am mid-low overweight. I can see where its coming from having a obese mother. But I also feel that I can control over it, but you know, having the expedience about actively thinking about it everyday, the choices make all the difference. My mom.... being overweight, she buys lots of high-carb items and high-fat. It is hard for me when she did that to make healthy choices, specifically when my mom and dad did not helpful to help control weight. I played sports and hung out with friends and did normal kid stuff. I think it really starts with the parents forcing healthy habits upon them.

With a advertising filled world of sugary foods, it is hard for people to resist. It could almost be exponential... One person gets it, there kids, the kids kids. It could have easily started forming in the 50's.

It is a epidemic. I pray for the day where people hector fat people like people hector smokers... "you know smoking is bad for you"

I want a day saying "you know, being fat is bad"

My 2 cents

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think that eating disorders are just as bad as obesity. The problem with eating disorders is that its harder to detect. Even people who are not extremely thin have eating disorders, and get away with it because.. they dont look like an anorexic person.

Obesity is obviously much easier to see!

They are both very bad diseases and theres too much of it in the world, and not enough healthy, active, people anymore.

I used to have an eating disorder when I was younger, and im telling you it is a mental illness. It's something you never get over, no matter hard you try. Every day is a battle not to go back to it. Maybe obesity is the same way? Maybe they try to be healthy but being unhealthy is just so much easier for them?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I don't think it's fair to say anorexia is less dangerous than obesity. Around 20% of people with anorexia die from their condition. The same can't be said for obesity, the effects of obesity become appearent over many years unlike anorexia.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_seeker3

It is difficult to say where to devide what fault lays on the individual and what lays with the advertising.

I do not think that we can blame the media all together, though. Nobody forces a person to eat badly. It's always an individual choice.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

For the people close to the person with the eating disorder, it isn't that hard to pick up on. I think that people feel that it is inappropriate to ask them to get help though.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

For the people close to the person with the eating disorder, it isn't that hard to pick up on. I think that people feel that it is inappropriate to ask them to get help though.

Well, I wish it was that easy to pick up on them... but none of my friends or family sure as heck knew i ever had one. they still never knew. so trust me... you definitely dont always know when someone has a disorder.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I don't think it's fair to say anorexia is less dangerous than obesity. Around 20% of people with anorexia die from their condition. The same can't be said for obesity, the effects of obesity become appearent over many years unlike anorexia.

In my OP, I really meant that in terms of number of deaths attributed to each disorder, obesity is far more deadly. I posted the statistics. And, I would imagine that if you take all the indirect problems associated with obesity into account, it would have a near 100% fatality rate. The only difference is that it takes much longer to kill.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Well, I wish it was that easy to pick up on them... but none of my friends or family sure as heck knew i ever had one. they still never knew. so trust me... you definitely dont always know when someone has a disorder.

What I've experienced with the sufferers in my family is that everyone "knows" they have the disorder, but they pretend not to, and in most cases, would not say anything to the sufferer.

I'm sure it differs from my situation to yours, but I think there is, in general, a taboo against calling anyone out for any kind of addiction.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
the thing about that is.. i hid it really well. any many people with eating disorders tend to. Because they are embarrased and ashamed and dont want anyone to ever know. So we find ways of hiding it. I was bulimic, so I ate.. all the time with my family and friends. But once i was by myself i threw up. I was thin.. but i wasnt super thin. People just thought i worked out.

My own mom even asked what my secret was for being in such good shape..

I told her i just ran a lot. What a lie that was.

One of my best friends even went from a size 14 to a ZERO, and no one noticed because she would wear huge clothes and hide it . And people genuinely didnt know she had lost all the weight

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I think it's just a difference between the people we know, then.

At least one of my bulimic family members I suspect is doing it for attention. A sort of "If you love me, you'll stop me." complex.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
it sounds like she is TRYING to get attention then, and trying to get people to notice she has an eating disorder. Unlike me and the people i know, who tried our hardest to hide it and look like we were normal.

Everyone is different i suppose. But regardless eating disorders are horrible and very hard to overcome, even with extensive therapy. Its not just about the food, or being skinny, its a control issue.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Oh I know.

I think what makes any addiction so difficult is that people turn to it for different reasons... you for release, it sounds like, others for attention. So a single-approach "Cure" is elusive.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
exactly.

those are the 2 main reasons people do it. its never usually about the weight. many girls with eating disorders are in relatively good shape when they start. they do it for either the attention, or as a way of .. i guess you could say a release. I know for myself, I always felt 30 times better after i would throw up. I know thats gross and seems very strange, but its hard to explain i guess. luckily its been a while now since that has occured.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We discussed that same kind of thing here a few days ago.

And I do think that there is some competition among younger girls, who have made eating disorders a sort of trendy thing.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
yes. its true. more and more i see these little girls who LITERALLY go into the bathroom after lunch and throw up together. This is happening more and more.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It happens with cutters two as I discussed in the thread above. That kind of behavior disgusts me. It's so insulting and demeaning to the people who actually suffer that kind of behavior as an actual problem. They would do anything to be rid the pain that leads them to that kind of behaviour, and then there are those that must trivialize it and wear their "problem" like a trendy handbag.

I feel the same kind of frustration towards people who are always dieting, because they seem to enjoy being the poor individual who just can't loose the weight.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
yup. i agree completely on those views.

dieters are kind of in a sense like an undercover person with an eating disorder. they are not happy with their body... they hardly eat... they tend to over-exercise.. my mom was a serial dieter. She may not have stopped eating, or been throwing up, but it was still a disease. if we went to a restaraunt and she felt like she ate a little too much, she would just job home. no matter how far away from home we were.

thats a problem.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hi, I really enjoy this thread because I can so totally relate to it. I've had all of these thoughts before and I think they're all relevant to people.

I used to be obese. I'm about 5'4, and, I once weighed 185 pounds, and now, I weigh only 142 pounds. I realized I weighed too much after I looked at other people who were at my height and wondered why they were so skinny compared to me, so, I wanted to lose weight to be like other people my height, because, I felt if they are so happy, then I should be happy too, if I lost that weight. I also feel good for having done it.

When I was overweight I didn't really concern myself with being obese. That was just a time when I looked at other people and wondered why they weren't doing what I was doing.

At first when I was trying to loose weight I looked up the calories of everything but that doesn't really affect anything. So I tried just managing my diet and I began to lose weight. I heard on the radio that it helps if you're on a diet to record everything you eat and not to lie about it and if you do that you'll lose weight and I've been doing that and it's really helped

Here's what I think:

- Being obese or overweight shouldn't be socially acceptable. I think some people may have no choice if they are obese or overweight. For some it's genetic, for me, I was on a medication and I gained a lot of excess weight which I lost instantly after I got off of it.
- People who are obese worry about their looks too much. "Does this make me look fat" is a question asked by people who are worried about what they weigh so they think it's bad.
- Being fat is a health concern because being fat causes stress on the person that is fat. They are certainly aware of their weight and it causes increase concern on their diet with the foods they eat. Someone who is fat may want to eat less food or come up with a really lousy reason to stop eating one kind of food or another kind of food.
- It's not junkfood. I'm 142 pounds and I can eat any kind of junkfood I want and I don't gain weight because of it. That stuff you hear about junkfood causing it is just a lie.
- It's not exercising. Exercise can help, but, you're either fat, or you're not, and, if you're fat you can lose that weight by exercising, but, it's really just a matter of what your genetic disposition is like, and, how fast your metabolism is. My metabolism is fairly fast so I can lose weight and eat as much as I want without worrying too much about it.

I think the real question we should be asking is not if obesity is a concern, but, asking how we can reduce obesity.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
yup. i agree completely on those views.

dieters are kind of in a sense like an undercover person with an eating disorder. they are not happy with their body... they hardly eat... they tend to over-exercise.. my mom was a serial dieter. She may not have stopped eating, or been throwing up, but it was still a disease. if we went to a restaraunt and she felt like she ate a little too much, she would just job home. no matter how far away from home we were.

thats a problem.

Yeah, and that was one thing I touched on earlier in the thread.

The media has an aweful lot of dieting adds, but that does not equate an appropriately negative veiw of obesity.

It's simply advertising synched up with all the "Serial Dieters." They are an easy cash mine.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Obesity is bad. Obesity should be viewed as being negative.

I can go on and on and tell you how horrible being obesity feels. When you are obese you feel like your body is about to blow up.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join