It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Chandrayaan Blasts Off To The Moon!

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Breaking News!! 2032 IST

MIP lands on the Moon! Pics to be relayed within two hours!

CHEERS!

Lady Dependable, thy name is ISRO

The MIP has had a look at the Malapert Mountain before crashing at/near the Shackleton Crater. (hmmm... nice spot for a future lunar base....hmmm...)

As of now, the Indian "tiranga" (tricolor flag) is writ large across the lunar face.

[edit on 14/11/2008 by sentinel2107]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes yes yes yes yes... they did it! Bravo.. mercy ISRO for your truely international effort.
groß

wolfgang
PS: I also here they have this new deadly nuke missile launch capability from underwater! great, check out guys this country is on a move!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
ISRO's press release:

Indian Tricolour Placed on the Moon on Children's Day

In a historic event, the Indian space programme achieved a unique feat today (November 14, 2008) with the placing of Indian tricolour on the Moon’s surface on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s birthday. The Indian flag was painted on the sides of Moon Impact Probe (MIP), one of the 11 payloads of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, that successfully hit the lunar surface today at 20:31 hrs (8:31 pm) IST. This is the first Indian built object to reach the surface of the moon. The point of MIP’s impact was near the Moon’s South Polar Region. It may be recalled that the modern Indian space programme was initiated in 1962 when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister of India.

Weighing 34 kg at the time of its launch onboard Chandrayaan-1, the box shaped MIP carried three instruments – a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer. The video imaging system was intended to take the pictures of the moon’s surface as MIP approached it. The radar altimeter was included to measure the rate of descent of the probe to the lunar surface. Such instruments are necessary for future lunar soft landing missions. And, the mass spectrometer was for studying the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I can't wait for the first photosh... photos to be released.

Good to hear that the mission was a success but then again, who knows if it really was or what kind of crap we'll be fed. Can't modern video technology survive a decent to the moon's surface? That would be an interesting thing to behold.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sentinel2107

Originally posted by mikesingh
Someone mentioned that some shlokas from the Vedas are inscribed on the MIP??
Couldn't find an authoritative source on this! Any idea?

Nope! Didn't find nothin', although saw a statement like "sanskrit verse praising the moon inscribed on the MIP." In all probability, the good ol' ISRO chaps might have done it - after all, moon is a part of the hindu pantheon.

Here's an authoritative source, MikeS -- the last line of this article -- India kisses the moon, Chandrayaan MIP lands

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfgang1711

I am waiting for the MIP to come up with Lunar soil analysis

The MIP (Moon Impact Probe) will not do lunar soil analysis.

There will be three instruments on the Moon Impact Probe
# Radar Altimeter – for measurement of altitude of the Moon Impact Probe and for qualifying technologies for future landing missions. The operating frequency band is 4.3 GHz ± 100 MHz.
# Video Imaging System – for acquiring images of the surface of the Moon during the descent at a close range. The video imaging system consists of analog CCD camera.
# Mass Spectrometer – for measuring the constituents of tenuous lunar atmosphere during descent. This instrument will be based on a state-of-the-art, commercially available Quadrupole mass spectrometer with a mass resolution of 0.5 amu and sensitivities to partial pressure of the order of 10-14 torr.

Full details here: Moon impact probe (MIP)...

Is it so? #! hmm No probs. ...

Well, well well! Will the following statement qualify for some sort of a "lunar soil analysis," wolfgang?

When the MIP crashes, the video camera will take pictures of the dust that is kicked up and radio them to the mother-spacecraft, which will relay it to the Indian Space Science Data Centre at Byalalu near Bangalore. The MIP’s images will help decide where Chandrayaan-2’s lander-cum-rover can soft-land on the moon.

ISRO Chairman G. Madhavan Nair said: “The mass spectrometer is basically a particle analyser. The dust coming out on impact will be picked up by it, and if you get a sweep, you will again get a mineral composition on that. But the whole event is very short-lived. You have to keep your fingers crossed till you get the data.”

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The MIP with the "flags":

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I am waiting for the MIP to come up with Lunar soil analysis

The MIP (Moon Impact Probe) will not do lunar soil analysis.

There will be three instruments on the Moon Impact Probe
# Radar Altimeter – for measurement of altitude of the Moon Impact Probe and for qualifying technologies for future landing missions. The operating frequency band is 4.3 GHz ± 100 MHz.
# Video Imaging System – for acquiring images of the surface of the Moon during the descent at a close range. The video imaging system consists of analog CCD camera.
# Mass Spectrometer – for measuring the constituents of tenuous lunar atmosphere during descent. This instrument will be based on a state-of-the-art, commercially available Quadrupole mass spectrometer with a mass resolution of 0.5 amu and sensitivities to partial pressure of the order of 10-14 torr.

Full details here: Moon impact probe (MIP)...

Is it so? #! hmm No probs. ...

Well, well well! Will the following statement qualify for some sort of a "lunar soil analysis," wolfgang?

When the MIP crashes, the video camera will take pictures of the dust that is kicked up and radio them to the mother-spacecraft, which will relay it to the Indian Space Science Data Centre at Byalalu near Bangalore. The MIP’s images will help decide where Chandrayaan-2’s lander-cum-rover can soft-land on the moon.

ISRO Chairman G. Madhavan Nair said: “The mass spectrometer is basically a particle analyser. The dust coming out on impact will be picked up by it, and if you get a sweep, you will again get a mineral composition on that. But the whole event is very short-lived. You have to keep your fingers crossed till you get the data.”

Exactly, that was the thing I was expecting. You know this is the most preferred technique to raise the dust and test it.These days it is a lot easier with some Mikrosystems or MEMS. Believe me, I am MEMS researcher and I sometimes feel its some kind of out of the Earth Technology, well thats another story.
I am waiting for the pics.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
isro.org...
isro.org...

carefully picked photographs I think

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

isro.org...
isro.org...

What?! They must be kidding, please tell me these are the photos from the McDonalds Lunar Orbiter (but then again, even they were clearer, and in focus).

Aye curumba!

*booos*

wZn

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow

isro.org...
isro.org...

What?! They must be kidding, please tell me these are the photos from the McDonalds Lunar Orbiter (but then again, even they were clearer, and in focus).

Aye curumba!

*booos*

wZn

by far this is the highest resolution pic in my opinion. I have never seen such clear pics... just save those pics and then zoom it you would be surprised, in my opinion each of them seems to be 25 kms above lunar surface.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfgang1711

These in your links @ 1mb, are clear to you?

I dunno, I have to disagree, they are shoddy, unclear, and out of focus for me. Perhaps you have better sized ones that you are looking at? But yeah, I'm looking at the 2 in those 2 links?

wZn

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Those pics are nice

Nothing special

And nothing ground breaking will be found

BUT

ON the dark side of the moon.
if they can get this kind of pic quality...

Then we might see some cool stuff on the dark side...

If we get to see everything

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

This is a scientific mission, not a beauty pageant. The purpose of the MIP is to learn things about the character of the surface. To scout an LZ, not look for "anomalies". It's not about eye candy.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

hang on a minute. Would it not benefit all for clear images? And by clear I can't see it in these 2 small images. I mean my standard five year old camera can take a 3mb picture, and I'm guessing they have far better technology than I do?

This would be essential I would have thought, why else even put a camera on the thing?

wZn

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Those two photos, both by their size (720x576) and by their looks, look like video stills, not photos.

Can someone confirm if that camera is a video camera or a photo camera?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If you would learn a bit about the mission before complaining you might understand. It is not a digital camera.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It's referred to as a video imaging system.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Semantics. What ever "camera" it is, surely it should be better than images they were showing in 1969 no?

How can you be happy with these images?

wZn

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Did I say I was happy with them? The equipment is doing the job it was meant to do.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join