It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids are screwed up, not media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Have you ever been around a child while watching cartoons? I have, and every time the child will imitate what he is seeing. I watched the Hulk with my 3 year old nephew and he started hitting and jumping around like the images he saw on the TV. So yes it does influence the young ones.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Have you ever been around a child while watching cartoons? I have, and every time the child will imitate what he is seeing. I watched the Hulk with my 3 year old nephew and he started hitting and jumping around like the images he saw on the TV. So yes it does influence the young ones.

I think in this country we have come to a point to where we like to think we are all civil and sophisticated when the world we live in is violent, sick, and demented.

The truth is, is that there are broken people in this world and nothing will ever change that.

Should we rid the world of violent input (including news) there would be something else to cause the violence that would of course continue almost unabated.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirello
im 10. these are the number one reasons that children do stuff like that.

number 1 reason: the child themselves
Number 2: the perents
number 3: the tv

The fact that you claim to be 10 yrs old throws all of your credibility out the window with me. As for your reasons let me ask this, whom or what do you believe influences the child? Do you honestly believe some people are just born evil? I personally think that your reasons should be reveresed.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If kids commit violent act and blame the media, it's just because that's the easiest way they found to get out of it.

In the past, people would just say that they are crazy or that voices told them to do so. Kids don't have any imagination anymore.

Oh, and congradulations on being 10, that probably makes you the youngest member here. I think it's kinda cool (as long as you do not mess around) because at your age I was still playin with G.I. Joes. (what I mean is I wasn't interested in conspiracies & cie...)

Lysergic

Nice Violent J quote dude lol...

"I order food just to stab the guy
when he gets there I don't care,
I stab anybody anywere"
Lmao...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a 10 year old on ATS.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just face it that #ty parents=dumbass kids. I'm in High School and I grew up on violent media and video games and I haven't had the urge to "stab" anyone.

These idiot, crazy, "bring guns and knives into my school" kids are the ones who haven't had much parental support and come from the screwed up families with #ty parents. Keep your kids busy, put em in sports or other extracurricullar activities and for gods sake, keep them away from guns and knives, how retarded do you gotta be?

And so your kid jumps up and down and acts like The Hulk while watching The Hulk....is that really so odd? So you think now he's gonna go start smashing cars and crashing through walls because of the medias oh-so-powerful influence on us
Uh-oh I'd watch out now......

And for the iminent flaming to come, these are just my opinions from experience. I don't attend some preppy rich school, my school's your average dying budget, overcrowded cause the state can't make up it's damn mind or keep promises public school. No bull, just experience. It ain't the media.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yeah i hate how the government and people in general are quick to blame the problem on things such as media

First it was the Terminators fault that people were shooting/killing eachother (Blamed the Film) even tho it was an 18

Next it was RnB Rap artists ect

How about blaming it on failing government authorities (They are the ones who authorise Media types and contents ect) and possibly lack of cops or stupid laws

Also its now a big thing to blame the parents (which sometimes could be part of it)

How about instead blame the people who are doing the crime eg kids as they are the ones who pass the judgement on what they do as indeviduals and as indeviduals you carnt directly control them

Example

Say a person shoots up a school bully as they were gettin bullied its not the parents or teachers fault they were getting bullied its the person and the bullies fault

The person who was getting bullied who shot the bullies not anyone else (Also if they wernt prepared to stick up for themselfs then they would of promoted it)

Dont wanna sound nasty but i have heard of several situations where if some 1 had done something it (as things were being done to them) would of been a lot better for everyone else

Some people who do nasty things to others (who dont help themselfs out of it) allows the person whos been nasty to do multipul people where as if the person had just reacted forcefully (Not nessesery violently) it wouldnt of happened to the other people

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Crash]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
gviewtwosix thats exactly what i wanted to say but couldnt think of words

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yep, people won't get it till they grow up with the kids.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
finally! some1 who tells the truth! kids aren't influenced by t.v. too much. What about Canada? those kids watch just as much violence as we do and they don't go on a rampage. And what about those war-torn countries? not a lot of those kids do stupid things

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Kids are screwed up whether the watch TV or not. It is simply a function of their inexperience with the world. But even though they are screwed up relative to the adults that function reasonably and positively in the world, they are learning at an alarming rate comparatively. This is the problem.

It is not the violence that kids are learning from TV and music and movies, it is the resolutions that come from them. In some cases such as in music, there is no resolution, leading kids to believe that there are no consequenses for violent behavior.

But more troubling is the fact that in television and movies, the violence portrayed leads very quickly to a resolution positive in nature. To watch television shows or movies that tend to culminate with the good guys getting the bad guys or justice being served within an hour or an hour and a half tells kids that violence actually works. It is unrealistic, and it sends the message that short stints of violence may be beneficial in all instances.

I don't think that kids are the only ones that are prone to this negative education. Just after September 11th, we heard nearly the entire country cry out for our President to do something about the terrorist threat, which he did, but just a few months, maybe even weeks later, the scale seemed to tip back to the peace stance. I think American have a false sense of security as a result of our celebration of violence in the media.

In the media, true violence that exists in the world is not portrayed in a realistic manner. No one seems to notice that the violence that exists in places such as the Balkans, Israel, Kashmir, and most regions of S. America and Africa have been protracted for decades, with no real resolution.

And the thought that violence on TV and in movies desensitizes people to it is false. Only violence desensitizes people to violence, if anything, and even still, some people are never desensitized even after long exposure to it. In many cases, violence tends to make one mentally disturbed for the rest of their life.

Violence in the media does nothing more than to feed the American sense of instant gratification by showing us that within an hour or two, such violence may lead to the positive resolution it seeks. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who believe that violence can solve nothing, and abhor any and all violence wherever it may occur, whether real or fictional. This is another unfortunate example of unrealistic thinking. Sometimes violence is necessary.

A recent thread asked if video games based on warfare were actually an education for the future warriors of the world. Until a video game can help you reach a target training heart rate and maintain it for at least 45 minutes, and instill character traits such as self-discipline, honor, integrity, and candor, all these video games will do is further imbed the false notions of the effectiveness that violence has on the positive outcome of dicey situations.

Does media screw up the kids? Yes. In fact, it screws up everyone equally.

It's FICTION!
DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
And what about those war-torn countries? not a lot of those kids do stupid things

In those war-torn countries, the kids are actually desensitized to violence! This leads to the future violence in these countries. That's why they are war-torn. The violence has become a way of life. Whether or not that is a stupid thing is debatable.

In America, any violence that occurs is over very quickly, and is probably an isolated incident. The only protracted violence we see here in America is the turf wars between rival street gangs. The people that carry these wars on are people who are desensitized to violence by committing it on a regular basis. Violence begets violence when it is not for the purpose of ceasing violence.

DC

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Kids are screwed up from what they hear or see by the media. If they see violence they'll act it out because they want to appear tough or think its cool.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nlive81
Kids are screwed up from what they hear or see by the media. If they see violence they'll act it out because they want to appear tough or think its cool.

Correct! But what they see on television that they try to act out, and the violence that actually exists are two different things. An American kid that grows up in front of a TV will have a completely different way of looking at violence than say, a kid in Iraq. I think this is because on TV, death is never the main outcome. Some higher purpose or justice, or whatever, is. Where in Iraq, the violence only ends in death.

Television or video games never desensitizes, it just gives kids the wrong impression about what it is they're looking at.

DC

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nlive81

That was making sense to a portion of my brain, but the drunk portion of it overruled the rest of it and cried, "WTF?"

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
That was making sense to a portion of my brain, but the drunk portion of it overruled the rest of it and cried, "WTF?"
You too? I gotta go to sleep! These 2 1/2 day benders have got to stop...

Oh, wait. That's just my job...

DC

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
the fact of the mater is that it is the fued of nature v nuture they do not fight though they work hand in hand , man is man what he does with those influences only reflect what another believes

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
before we can walk were hooked on tv.
we sit wearing our media framed specticls,
eating media meals. kids were doomed
long time ago

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
OK, first of all. The number 3 reason you listed was: the tv. What do you think the TV is? It IS the media. And yes, it is the media's fault, not the childrens'. Think about it. Children are born without the thought of violence, death, or anything in a negative sexual manner. They ARE taught these things. It is our society that teaches these things. No offense to rap, (I like some rap and hip-hop), however most of it promotes negative sexual images of women. They degrade them, violence is common. What do you think this is? The media.

lol, like it was said, nice try, no banana.

-wD

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Kids are stupid and immature. Often this is not helped by the parents. Some kid in my class was killed by a car this week. Where was he - At an illegal streetrace at 23:30. most kids i know of my age just seem to be dead thick. I really don't understasnd it. They're just tooo stupid to understand real life and fiction are different. Hell, most of them can't understand sarcasm!. But yes, media does influence them, it must, but their general stupidity has much to do with it. People I know believe chain emails on msn, even though they are complete BS. They believe everything they see hear or read. They don't bother checking the source of the information or anything like that.

BTW, can you guess how old I am? If there are a few guesses i'll reply to see if anyone gets it right.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by minimi]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join