It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 451
<< 448  449  450    452  453  454 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Define "clearly" and you can start to piece the program together, unless this would be totally discretionary?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Fly Robbin fly, up, up to the sky

With present dollar index, DOW clearly grows inflated.

The next Enron... please.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
Recent equity market quotes moving into positive territory as the US dollar stays in yesterdays trading range.

If I didn't know better I would say the dollar is trying to find a bottom here and the markets are responding with a narrowing topping pattern.

There is some support for the dollar down around 76 looking back at last years charts and even more support at 73. Fundamentally the dollar is worthless at this point so I don't know why they stopped shorting it in the 77 range.

The Asian markets took profits overnight but there is still no evidence of a trend reversal in the indicators that I've been watching. GBM's bear flags and narrowing triangles on the S&P have not broken out to the down side yet, and if the traders decide to make some more money shorting the dollar that narrow trading range could even break out to the upside.

Emotionally the bear in me would like to assume the position next to the salmon ladder and start feeding, but you need to stick with your technical indicators when they are working for you or else its just gambling.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

Nobody is giving up anything right now..

Pretty interesting..

Looks like my dad's nosehair casted a shadow

here

[edit on 5-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

The weird thing is that all Japanese automakers painted their cars red tonight, so to speak. If the major exporting industry shares show up in red, that's not about the dollar as an abstract, that could be about the dollar in our pockets -- not enough to buy their Toyotas.

I think the US economy is not doing well; I think that the rally doesn't really reflect upon the corporate earning power; I think I'm gonna be selling tomorrow -- the whole day.

(Bananas on the corner of Broadway and Fifth.)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Recent equity market quotes moving into positive territory as the US dollar stays in yesterdays trading range.

If I didn't know better I would say the dollar is trying to find a bottom here and the markets are responding with a narrowing topping pattern.

There is some support for the dollar down around 76 looking back at last years charts and even more support at 73. Fundamentally the dollar is worthless at this point so I don't know why they stopped shorting it in the 77 range.

The Asian markets took profits overnight but there is still no evidence of a trend reversal in the indicators that I've been watching. GBM's bear flags and narrowing triangles on the S&P have not broken out to the down side yet, and if the traders decide to make some more money shorting the dollar that narrow trading range could even break out to the upside.

Emotionally the bear in me would like to assume the position next to the salmon ladder and start feeding, but you need to stick with your technical indicators when they are working for you or else its just gambling.

Pretty interesting..

here

To me the weekly chart is signaling for 1 more up week because when we break out of a MA usually gets overbought then immed. shorted back under where it consolidates and then breaks again for real this time either testing again or incases of times like these.. just takes off..

I wonder how many people are losing either

A) Opportunity Cost

B) Dollars shorting this thing

With the right approach you can still make money shorting this.. but you will be risking 20:1 by the time you keep accumulating shorts at a higher price (plus margin if equities.. ouch)

FROMUNCLE.. what is your approach and what are you viewing? PM me if you are not comfortable releasing information to pub.

www.sierrachart.com...

Thanks

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Id sell my $hit all day for a new engine in my hyundai

hahahaha

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Cough, cough, cough, cough

DID the GBM just see a dizzouble tizzop on this flizzop? (30 min)

Know in 30 mins lol

* Hizzerre *

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Pretty interesting..

here

To me the weekly chart is signaling for 1 more up week because when we break out of a MA usually gets overbought then immed. shorted back under where it consolidates and then breaks again for real this time either testing again or incases of times like these.. just takes off..

I wonder how many people are losing either

A) Opportunity Cost

B) Dollars shorting this thing

With the right approach you can still make money shorting this.. but you will be risking 20:1 by the time you keep accumulating shorts at a higher price (plus margin if equities.. ouch)

FROMUNCLE.. what is your approach and what are you viewing? PM me if you are not comfortable releasing information to pub.

www.sierrachart.com...

Thanks

FUXC-

I think I have it nailed actually...

It might even be one of those I will put my reputation up on the line for

I think your feelings are right as well

Again, what tech.'s are telling you buy right now? Or PM me of course...

I THINK THIS IS PRETTY PERTINANT - I KNOW I SOUND LIKE THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Here's a nice blurb from Bloomberg...I'll try to find a real link in a few...

Goldman Sachs $100 Million Trading Days Reach Record in Quarter
www.bloomberg.com...

And no one thinks HFT is a scam... :shk: ...volume has been sucky as it is just wait till GS can't play with that thingamabob...

FTSE 100 4,693.37 7:35AM ET Up 22.00 (0.47%)
CAC 40 3,505.57 7:50AM ET Up 29.20 (0.84%)
DAX 5,442.96 7:35AM ET Up 25.94 (0.48%)

DJIA FV Futures 9276.19 9281.0 4.81

P&G Net Falls as Consumers Curb Spending on Skin-Care Products, Detergents
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 8/5/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Nice laptop.

How about some positive news from industry? Looks like an object lesson in how to survive:

Boating industry afloat in recession

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Know in 30 mins lol

* Hizzerre *

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hmmm...every prior months always seemed to be bumper higher... :shk:

U.S. Lost 371,000 Jobs in July, More Than Economists Estimated, ADP Says
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Companies in the U.S. cut fewer jobs in July as the worst recession since the Great Depression eased, a private report based on payroll data showed today.

The estimated 371,000 drop was higher than economists forecast, and followed a revised drop of 463,000 the prior month, figures from ADP Employer Services showed today.

Stabilization in housing and manufacturing and help from the federal stimulus effort will usher economic growth this quarter, economists say. Consumer spending, which accounts for 70 percent of the economy, may be slow to gain speed as home prices fall, wages stagnate and unemployment climbs.

“We’ll have a weak labor market for many, many months,” Brian Bethune, chief U.S. financial economist at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts, said before the report. “Consumers are going to be reluctant to go out and make major purchases.”

The Labor Department’s payrolls report, due in two days, may show employers cut another 328,000 jobs in July and unemployment jumped to 9.6 percent, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey.

The economy already has lost 6.5 million jobs since the recession began in December 2007, the most of any economic slump since the Great Depression.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Know in 30 mins lol

* Hizzerre *

www.sierrachart.com...

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
FTSE 100 4,680.12 8:53AM ET Up 8.75 (0.19%)
CAC 40 3,502.34 9:08AM ET Up 25.97 (0.75%)
DAX 5,419.09 8:53AM ET Up 2.07 (0.04%)

DJIA FV Futures 9276.19 9264.0 -12.19

Job loss eases, but remains steep - ADP
money.cnn.com...

Report says private sector jobs fell at the smallest monthly rate in 9 months, but separate survey says planned reductions surged 31%.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Just remember that I warned already about how numbers will be played in the next few weeks including unemployment.

Contraction my friend contraction it plays good on numbers.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Just remember that I warned already about how numbers will be played in the next few weeks including unemployment.

Contraction my friend contraction it plays good on numbers.

Oh I'm right with ya...I see how better numbers get worse when they update every month :shk:

And more *good news*...wonder if they're going to use this to cover a couple of big bad banks failing in the near future...or have a separate auction...

U.S. Treasury to Sell $75 Billion in Long-Term Debt Next Week
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury plans to sell a record $75 billion in its quarterly auctions of debt next week and also indicated plans to expand inflation-indexed securities next year as it finances unprecedented budget deficits.

The Treasury plans to auction $37 billion in three-year notes on Aug. 11, $23 billion in 10-year notes Aug. 12 and $15 billion in 30-year bonds Aug. 13. The amounts matched the median forecast of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg News.

The Treasury’s current borrowing calendar is “sufficient” to meet the government’s needs and auction sizes are likely to rise in a “gradual manner” over the medium term, a Treasury statement in Washington said today. The Treasury signaled that issuance of Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities program will rise in fiscal year 2010 and said it would consider replacing the 20-year TIPS with a 30-year security.

“Near-term financing needs will rise as a result of weakness in the economy,” Karthik Ramanathan, the department’s debt-management director, told the Treasury Borrowing Advisory Committee yesterday, according to minutes of the meeting. The Treasury is “well-poised to meet the balance of its financing requirements not only for the remainder of the year but also fiscal 2010.”

The Treasury also said it expects to run up against the debt ceiling, which currently stands at $12.1 trillion, in the last three months of the 2009 calendar year. The Treasury said it would keep Congress and the markets apprised of developments, “given the uncertainty surrounding potential borrowing needs.”

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I still wonder how with all the "financial" problems, the deficit, the need to be borrowing the government can claim that the economy is recuperating.

The contradictions that surrounds the different agencies that oversee the nations economic well being is just laughable.

This people had no clue about how to eve handle the growing deficit but with borrowing and even then they have not clue if they will be able to sell the debt to meet the financial needs of the Nation.

What a joke the administration needs to have a nice chat with this groups and stop the cheerleading propaganda.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

The job loss numbers aren't just going down because they are messing with them. If you think about it they are really just running out of people to fire. Get ready for some heart breakers soon...now comes the wage cuts to those who are left and lucky enough to still have a job!

They have already started doing it all over California in different sectors. My husbands work for one has been "forced" to cut wages by 15% ( my hub was only to get a 7 - 7.5 % cut and well just checked in with the bank and doesn't look like they cut more than 2% on him...
They need him to bad; is the only one who can fix the machines fast and keep things running
)
Now factor in that they are plain running out of people to fire and the only thing left for them to do is cut wages. Not just on Gubbermint jobs but on all jobs. They already see this happening and are saving grace by saying that although it is "slowing" there is still going to be problems for months.

There is going to be problems because the prices are still going up or holding at an inflated rate and people are being paid LESS. They could pull another bail out all they want it isn't going to work until they get the darn money down onto main street! We all know that isn't going to happen by now; so people are just going to tighten their belts and ride it out the best they can. No choice in the matter at this point if you still have a job you are one of the few lucky ones in my book.

xoxo Stacie

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

The Treasury is “well-poised to meet the balance of its financing requirements not only for the remainder of the year but also fiscal 2010.”

So short term they don't expect to bust a move on interest rates to raise emergency cash and the debt situation is going to get stretched out through 2045.

There was some nervousness about next weeks auction amounts exceeding expectations before the announcement that should be resolved now, but I notice the Dow did just dip down near yesterdays lows.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,262.46 9:59am ET Down 57.73 (0.62%)
Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,241.60 10:01am ET Down 78.59 (0.84%)

S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 1,000.06 10:00am ET Down 5.59 (0.56%)

NASDAQ Composite 1,992.85 10:03am ET Down 18.46 (0.92%)

FTSE 100 4,682.14 9:46AM ET Up 10.77 (0.23%)
CAC 40 3,492.90 10:00AM ET Up 16.53 (0.48%)
DAX 5,430.23 9:46AM ET Up 13.21 (0.24%)

Gold $961.09

top topics

<< 448  449  450    452  453  454 >>

join