It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 357
<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A list of highly recommended weekend reading

zerohedge.blogspot.com...

that link has a list of it's own

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...

www.ft.com...

Viewing: fora.tv...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
reply to post by stander

I have seen some on here that are WILD,at least mine is really me LOL!

You are pretty much right about it. We shouldn't hide behind some abstract images; we should use the avatar for others to see who we really are. That adds a few pounds of honesty to our attempt to make the US economy run again like an express train and thereby make the world a better place for us and our children.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Hi cpdaman and GBM: Remember me? The sad little sack that lost her booty in the stock market?

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. At this point, things are somewhat better, and I think I've (what's the word? "won"? "earned"? Hm. Think I wil choose "got lucky", and got about 13,000, then 8,000 of my money back so far. So, 21 up but still a lot more than that down.

cpd, I think it was you who suggested maybe riding it out until August, and then reassessing it, and I am still going to try to do that. So far so good.

Okay, I'm going, I'm going......lol

My best to you guys....LIW

glad to hear your in good spirits......although i couldn't make out your post.......you may want to take some prozac and zanax 3x a day to get you thru the next 3 months J kidding sorta.......also consult other opinions please

biggest threat in the immediate apperas to be funds needs by the primary(treasury) dealers to buy up all the treasury's( being auctioned off)....they need buyers somehow....i think biggest Relief from the Gold and Stock market index's could be a announcement by Good Ole ben that he is going to INcrease the fed purcheases of Treasury's......if not could be a rough month.....as my last link suggested the primary dealers will pressure money managers to sell Stocks big time in order to find demand for Treasury's...

[edit on 7-6-2009 by cpdaman]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

LOL! You're a hot mess!

I might change mine up later this week in honor of my b-day so be very afraid.

You look pretty damn smokin' to me! I love a man who isn't afraid to be "natural..."

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Very interesting:

blogs.wsj.com...

Jobs Data Rumors Wobbled Markets Friday.

Supposedly a rumor about the government miss stating unemployment numbers was flying around trading desks Monday. If this was just shorts manipulating the market or an actual problem I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if the government did *misstate* the numbers or that they changed some rules around to make things rosier (I mean they did change accounting rules and laws to do so before?)

Also it is worth noting, 345,000 jobs made the unemployment rate jump from 8.9% to 9.4%...That is .5%. I would think around 1.5 million people is 1% of all working Americans. So 345,000 jobs is not .5%.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Hey, we don need the media to tell us what's going on with numbers coming from the government we all know the truth around here.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
pay attention to the wording....

the wall street journal says the number posted was a "mistake".......like what.... the gov't hit the wrong button on the computer when typing up the report....and then said "ah what the hell......we'll fix it another month"....please.....what am i missing (i'm all ears)......

sounds like a rumor was going on that the unemployment numbers are Bull sh(t propoganda to incite confidence based on LIES.......publish that.......i want to see a poll asked to americans

do you think the gov't and the fed would think it is worth a try to fudge numbers (in some kind of legal way) to incite confidence in a attempt that the confidence could actually create a self fullfilling prophecy .....why not?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Oh boy... the past couple of months have had reports that were "not bad (all things considered)." This past report really sucked, IMO. The u-6 is accelerating again (before GM/Chrysler is fully felt), the work-week is down to ~31 hours/week, official unemployment (u-3) hit 9.4% -- the fact that if we were only looking at the payroll data and assuming the standard full-time hours worked(40 hour/week), we would have shed 94,000+ jobs.....

That was not a very happy report, when you remove the "spin."

[edit on 7-6-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I don't know about specific models or carriers, but...

Can ya say, "BAIL OUT...MAN OVERBOARD...EVERYMAN FOR HIS SELF!!!"

~Flotilla~

Airlines May Lose $9 Billion This Year, IATA Says (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- Airline losses worldwide may total $9 billion in 2009, nearly double a previous forecast, as an outbreak of swine flu compounds the effects of the recession, the industry’s main trade group said.

Sales may fall 15 percent to $448 billion this year from $528 billion in 2008, the International Air Transport Association said in a statement distributed at its annual meeting in Kuala Lumpur today.

“This is the most difficult situation that the industry has faced,” IATA Chief Executive Officer Giovanni Bisignani said. “Our future depends on a drastic reshaping by partners, governments and industry.”

The recession has hammered premium-class traffic as business travelers switch to cheaper seats, forcing British Airways Plc and Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. to losses. China Eastern Airlines Corp. and Shanghai Airlines Co., plan to combine to cut competition in the world’s fastest-growing aviation market and help both carriers return to profit.

There’s “nothing we can do in the current environment to stimulate traffic, particularly in the premium market,” said British Air’s Chief Executive Officer Willie Walsh in Kuala Lumpur. “It doesn’t respond to pricing activity.”

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Bank Profits from Accounting Rule Changes masks looming loan losses
www.bloomberg.com...

Basically the article says that CITI Group would have actually posted a 2.5 billion dollar loss rather than over a billion dollars in profit if M2M was not changed. Also it is claiming that the stress tests and M2M change was to produce a charade to recapitalize banks putting "lipstick on a pig".

Well ATS we already knew this.

Bloomberg contacted Wells Fargo and CITI for comment and they did not get back with them.

Where's GBM and his efficient market theory?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Where's GBM and his efficient market theory?

He's probably in the dungeon whippin' up another batch of "LipStick"

US stock futures signal drop; banks, airlines eyed
www.reuters.com...
S&P 500 -9.90 930.60 6/8 4:21am
Fair Value 939.59 6/7 2:19pm
Difference* -8.99

NASDAQ -16.00 1479.00 6/8 4:10am
Fair Value 1493.08 6/7 2:19pm
Difference* -14.08

Dow Jones -82.00 8680.00 6/8 4:21am

Energy stocks, miners drag FTSE down; mood sours
www.reuters.com...
FTSE 100 4,379.22 4:23AM ET Down 59.34 (1.34%)
CAC 40 3,287.29 4:38AM ET Down 51.76 (1.55%)
DAX 4,986.77 4:23AM ET Down 90.26 (1.78%)
===
Shanghai Composite 2,768.34 3:00AM ET Up 14.44 (0.52%)
Hang Seng 18,248.68 3:51AM ET Down 430.85 (2.31%)
Nikkei 225 9,865.63 2:00AM ET Up 97.62 (1.00%)
Taiwan Weighted 6,628.02 1:46AM ET Down 228.72 (3.34%)

“You’ve got weak earnings, the share price goes down and then, ‘What? They want to raise equity?’ Clearly that isn’t a good thing.”

Profits Diluted 4% by U.S. Share Sales, Dividend Cuts (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- American common equity is increasing for the first time in five years, threatening to dilute corporate profits as companies sell a record amount of stock and cut dividends the most since 1938.

Wells Fargo & Co., ProLogis and more than 150 other companies raised $82.2 billion this quarter, beating the record pace at the height of the technology bubble in 2000, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The combination of adding shares and restricting dividends will reduce annual equity returns as much as 4.1 percent, the data show.

“The math is inescapable,” said Alan Gayle, the Richmond, Virginia-based director of asset allocation at Ridgeworth Investments, which manages $60 billion. “You’ve got weak earnings, the share price goes down and then, ‘What? They want to raise equity?’ Clearly that isn’t a good thing.”
More at Link...

Let's see what we bought today...
...Mmmm...34% more "Better than expected" earnings this quarter!

Citigroup May Gain Geithner Swap Backing as Pandit Bucks Bair
www.bloomberg.com...

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- Citigroup Inc. is poised to start a $58 billion stock swap that was delayed last week as Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Chairman Sheila Bair questioned Chief Executive Officer Vikram Pandit’s leadership and the bank awaited regulatory approval from other agencies, people close to the bank said.

Bair backed off and the U.S. Treasury Department signaled it would sign a final agreement to take a 34 percent stake in the bank, clearing the New York-based lender to proceed without further review by securities regulators, people familiar with the matter said. The exchange of preferred stock for common was announced three months ago.

Citigroup is counting on the exchange to replenish an equity base eroded by $36 billion of net losses during the past six quarters. Last week’s encounter with Bair underscores the scrutiny Pandit, 52, faces as the former Morgan Stanley banker steers the lender toward partial government ownership to shore up its finances.

“This is not about Pandit himself,” said Joshua Rosner, managing director at New York research firm Graham Fisher & Co. “Sheila Bair appears to be the only prudential regulator in Washington who has any understanding of the need to force the disgorgement of troubled assets from troubled institutions. And you cannot have a healthy banking institution without doing that.”
More at Link...

[edit on 6/8/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

All you have to do is check the numbers by cities and states, I posted information on that, the numbers are over 13% unemployment and as high as 25% by some cities.

Buy when the numbers are add up to the rest of the state that by population are a lot lower they balance up (at least for the government to do some sugar coating).

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

That is misguiding as we all know that the raising of unemployment every month brings a new wave of house foreclosures, still the government has ease on the news of how bad the foreclosures are so the banks do not have to post their on going loan loses.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Here's a little blip going mostly unnoticed

delinquency rate for bank-issued credit cards rose 11 percent in the first three months of the year, according to credit reporting agency TransUnion.

The delinquency rate jumped to 1.32 percent this year, from 1.19 percent in the first three months of 2008, TransUnion said. The statistic measures the percentage of card holders who are three months or more past due on their payments for cards bearing MasterCard and Visa logos, along with American Express and Discover cards.

The average total debt on bank cards also rose, jumping to $5,776 from $5,548 last year.

TransUnion, which samples 27 million consumer records to produce its data, expects the rate of credit card delinquencies to rise for the rest of the year, ultimately reaching about 1.7 percent.

Depending on the impact of economic stimulus programs and the effects of unemployment, TransUnion said the rate of increase could taper off early next year, but the peak is not likely to be reached until late 2010 or early 2011.

Something sounds fishy with these numbers... meaning with the foreclosure rate being what it is and unemployment at record highs... This number seems way to small to be believable

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Guys the government lies to us all of the time to satisfy their political agendas. I mean...this administration was basically tanking the markets every day so they could get their stimulus package passed, and then after that they told everyone it was okay to get back into the markets. It is blatant manipulation and it is a total game. That is all it is. One big game with them. If you don't recognize it then you are a moron.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
I think this is an interesting area for this reason as well.

You will have to form your own opinion, but

This is what I am looking at as well for the next couple days

There are 2 things to look for.

That level of support we have formed

That perfect declining triangle

You can form your own opinions from there I am sure.

And the result of a descending wedge or triangle, or whatever the hell you want to call that formation..

The result of the last graph with the wedge

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

A review of the reality of the job market crash,

The growth of unemployment had been slowing moderately over the past two months but it took a turn for the worse in May despite conflicting reports from major media outlets. Forbes.com ran an article Friday June 5, stating that job losses in May were just 345,000 – far fewer than the 550,000 most economists were predicting. It uses this as a signal that the economy is turning around.

The article explain how bad actually unemployment rates are regarless of what the media tells.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Could someone steer me towards definitions or examples of Inverse ETS's?

Need to know more about thesepretty greek to me thus far...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Inverse ETF's are just short their corresponding index instead of long. Thus if S&P 500 goes down 1% the inverse is suppose to go up 1%. They track pretty closely. They also have leveraged inverse ETF's which give you 2 or 3 times the return. The leveraged vehicles have much higher tracking errors as they use futures to get the leverage.

Proshares has most of the widely traded Inverse ETF's.

I would never bet against the markets though. I do have a use for the leveraged ETF's though as they allow you to get the same returns with only half the money. and the rest can stay in a safe place earning some interest. Don't take any of this as investment advice as there are many variables to consder before making any investment decision.

Proshares

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Thanks so very much!!! I'm trying to learn more about that which I haven't used much,LOL!
Considering alllllll the bloody options currently,it's getting to be one hell of a game.
You're appreciated!

new topics

top topics

<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join