It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 287
<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Just watched a good video which puts things into a nice visual perspective - bear in mind when watching this that most of this money has not gone into projects which will return wealth, or provide stimulus - but literally poured down a drain to see if it will stop taking on leaks...(figures are adjusted - marhsall plan was 90billion)

sorry if already posted

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well while the nation jobless keeps growing is OK, because the economic is going to be fine by the end of Year, I wonder where the government and Bernanke are planning to come up with up to 5 million jobs by the end of the year as that is the amount of people that has lost jobs since the "recession/depression started.

But everything is fine job cuts are falling

Planned job cuts announced by U.S. employers totaled 132,590 in April, a 12-percent drop from the 150,411 layoffs recorded the previous month, according to a report released on Wednesday by global outplacement consultancy Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

This was the lowest monthly total since 112,884 cuts were announced last October, but still up 47 percent from the 90,015 job cuts announced in the same month of 2008.

What they are not telling is that if they keep cutting jobs in these firms the CEOs will have to do the jobs themselves as their fancy offices are running out of staff

They have no more people to fired.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
OMG!

If I was only dumb enough to actually buy Citi

.BKX is on fire right now up 10%..

Anyone know whats up?

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think we have seen a short term top today. It's been a nice ride.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Well it seems that many of the fat rats sitting at the fed board are complaining that this type of test should be kept hidden and away from scrutiny because they affect the Markets negatively.

You don't have to hide anything. Just tell the traders that it's not true -- that the banks don't need to raise any additional capital.

Traders! It's not true. Go and buy.

Financials were under pressure in premarket trading, but actually rallied into the open after reports quelled concern that major banks may need to raise outside capital in order to satisfy the government's bank stress tests.

Simple as that, marg.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Financials were under pressure in premarket trading, but actually rallied into the open after reports quelled concern that major banks may need to raise outside capital in order to satisfy the government's bank stress tests.

This is so full of it. Those banks should have PLUNDGE by 15% not gained 15%... This is really criminal manipulating the markets like that.

And the job losses... March was upped from 663.000 to 708.000... no big deal eh? The statistics were only wrong by 45.000 jobs...

What April will be revised? From 491.000 to 550.000?

BTW, Bilderberg is expecting 14% official unemployment by the end of the year... so you betcha it's gonna be worse.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

I would say we have some pullback to the 20EMA.. we have had a little bit of a short term burst here.. might be another "SELL ON THE NEWS" tomorrow on stress tests..

Although, if we go 15-20 pts higher on s&p we could see our breakout to the 200EMA.. either way some consolidation would be nice

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This relentless upleg is verging on insanity. I heard that something like 80% of the dollar volume that went into the markets today went into either the bank stocks or bank ETFs. That tells me that it was probably 90% attributable to City and Morgan and Goldman doing their damnedest to paint a rozy picture, and suck in as much of the public's money as possible before the nasty report tomorrow. Who in the public would have that kind of confidence, to sink that kind of money into the banks on the eve of a report that they don't know the contents of? Nobody is that stupid. And you can bet the same banksters loaded up on puts to the tune of $trillions at the end of today. Watch out below.

I've lost enough money shorting this insanity to buy half of New Hampshire and sure as hell, if I capitulate and go long tomorrow, the market will tank by 90% in 16 minutes and I'll miss it. Sooner or later this insane, immoral thievery that the banks are perpetrating by propping up these markets is going to explode in our faces. They've just delayed the inevitable and indeed are making it much worse than it would have otherwise been. I think we see new lows sooner than anyone is expecting. And if my logic is at all correct, it starts tomorrow.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Albertarocks

dollar cost average in my friend, no worries if you go by that method, i promise you with my good word, that for a "small investor" this is the only game to play by

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by robatmj12

Dont be afraid

See my other posts detailing this to a much more precise area

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

This is so full of it. Those banks should have PLUNDGE by 15% not gained 15%... This is really criminal manipulating the markets like that.

And how do you suppose Bank of America will raise those $34 billion that it really needs? The bankers will do it the smart way: they spread the word around that they don't need the money -- that they stand good and healthy. The investors rejoyce and start buying BofA "undersold" stock thereby raising the money that the bank actually needs.

~ beentheredonethat ~

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

And how do you suppose Bank of America will raise those $34 billion that it really needs? The bankers will do it the smart way: they spread the word around that they don't need the money -- that they stand good and healthy. The investors rejoyce and start buying BofA "undersold" stock thereby raising the money that the bank actually needs.

~ beentheredonethat ~

Agreed. All emotional and intellectual reactions are conditioned reactions. Wonder when the conditioning starts? Before kindergarten.

Very hard to undo the effects...

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Guys why be angry at the irrationality of things? Either friday or right after things will tank again. Don't whine, just buy puts/short to profit off being right that things are absolutely nuts and stupid. I wonder if the April jobs report will destroy this rally for a while. There is a group estimating around 745,000 jobs lost in April! That would dampen things...

www.thedisciplinedinvestor.com...

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Guys why be angry at the irrationality of things? Either friday or right after things will tank again. Don't whine, just buy puts/short to profit off being right that things are absolutely nuts and stupid. I wonder if the April jobs report will destroy this rally for a while. There is a group estimating around 745,000 jobs lost in April! That would dampen things...

www.thedisciplinedinvestor.com...

You know, when adult people think something will frighten the child, they just keep lying to it. Yeah right, take some more candy... Want a banana? There are no monsters... Yeah, Santa is for real...

"We're just about to hit the bottom, but later it will be OK..." People believe this is very comforting, but it isn't at all. It's just about the way it is intoned that works miracles.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Obviously they are putting the best spin on the economy possible.
To the extent that the media blitz keeps the nation from panicking and making drastic negative business decisions, some of that guidance can be justified.

On the other hand you have to wonder who is really being served by a stock market rally fueled to highly over bought conditions by media hype?

CEO's get bonus pay from company shares so they certainly could profit from insider information such as the bank stress tests.

The average person investing for retirement is being lulled into believing stocks will continue to rise so they are not selling their shares despite the bad economic conditions.

Monthly and quarterly results have been skewed by accounting gimmicks such as reporting bail out money and layoffs as profit! Future more realistic reports would cause a real panic in an over bought market situation. Of course all the inside traders will be on their way out of the markets long before the naive 401k investors. Something doesn't quite seem right.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

What quite doesnt seem right is that the retail investor always seems to buy at the highs and sell at the lows. you cannot beat the market, just go with it. what seems irrational to you, i laugh at because it means the opposite when all bad news has been priced into the marketplace already.

I promise you I speak the truth when i say DCA and do nothing else the rest of your life.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I just realized that the S&P 500 had a higher close today than the day this thread was created. Todays close (adj for dvidends) for SPY was $93.66 vs. a close on 10-17-08 of $93.21. The Nasdaq 100 (QQQQ)is at $35.03 vs $32.20 on 10/17/08 or up almost 10%. Gold during that time went from about $770 to $890. You would have earned about 1% in CD'sand money markets. Going to cash was among the worst thing you could have done.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by disgustedbyhumanity]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
HX - whats up?

Gold looking good!

Inflation trade?

Watch out for pirates,

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Goldman Sachs upgraded financials and increased all of their price targets today meaning they will short them and Jim Cramer is saying all aboard the rally train. Both are very bearish signals.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Zero Hedge: The Real Unemployment Report

TrimTabs Investment Research estimated today that the U.S. economy shed 745,000 jobs in April (20,000 more than their March job loss estimates) as wages and salaries plunged an adjusted 5.7% year-over-year. TrimTabs estimated that the economy shed a record 5 million jobs in the past 12 months.

"If job losses continue at the present rate, the unemployment rate could top 10% by summer," said TrimTabs CEO Charles Biderman.

In a research note, TrimTabs reported that income tax refunds are up 16.5% year-over-year this year, providing a short-term boost to consumption. Unfortunately for the economy, however, the support from refunds is winding down.

More at link.

Does anybody know how accurate TrimTabs is? Their methods seem intuitive enough, but I don't know...

From their site: Why the BLS Employment numbers are wrong every time.

This isn't a trivial issue, because the unemployment rate of change is a very good indicator of whether or not we're in a "recovery" phase.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by theWCH]

new topics

top topics

<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join