It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 286
<< 283  284  285    287  288  289 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The Dow isn't going through the roof as someone just said. Being down 35% and then moving up to 30% is nothing to cheer about.

As someone else pointed out, as the government pension fund have sunk their money into the stock market, there is a drive to keep things buoyant.

Retail sales are much worse than they appear. And wait till they run out of the 2008 paid for inventories they're selling at below cost.

Real unemployment ids probably close to double the figures announced. Many don't qualify so there's no reporting. Guys with families working steady at decent wages are delivering pizzas.

The US used to produce goods and export them. Walmartization of the manufacturing sector, where companies are only handling goods, not making them, has had a bigger impact than most realize. The county went form being a net exporter to a net importer. The Chines could see that production of finished goods is where it's at, not paper shuffling.

Being pushed back is the next collapse when some once in a century announcements will be made.

Had they allowed it all to bottom out last fall and slowly rebuild, there might be room for more optimism.

Mike

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

We cut through 900 on the S&P easily, although volume was sketchy, but as I have been saying at anytime it can retrace back to 20 EMA (DAILY) and well if you take a look at the chart, that is the price that it should retrace to before a bigger move

Remember what I have said, this has not broken the 20 EMA DAILY as of yet, all bets are off if it breaks this, so far it has not..and still I will be bullish on the market b/c as I have stated before, and I will again, this is the only indicator that I have ever personally seen that is at a 100% CLIP HISTORICALLY.

Anyone that has been following my posts knows that I am now only telling the truth, and looking to shed some light on what is going on technically..

So I guess in essence, Im still bullish till we break the 20 EMA DAILY - and I would take a stab in the dark that 90% of big money is looking at this as well, as I am prob. not the first person to ever figure this out

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

See my other posts on this thread before you call my opinions foolish.

I ask you to look over my previous posts, then build a case against me. I think I can sway your opinion, which is a rather foolish one I believe if you have been following exactly what has been going on technically.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

[edit on 4-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by GreenBicMan

This chart might better suit you? Not all companies that fail will be acquired.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by burntheships]

You must be somewhat bullish now as the ascending triangle has basically broken down? We need a little confirmation, but if you have studied charts, if a failure (positive for market) we should take off quite bit higher?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

The Dow doesn't go "through the roof" and the other superlatives are not exactly true either. You are very likely forming your opinion by the data released by third-tier bloggers. I just posted a classic of example what you guys have been munching on all the time.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

----------

Big Ben will be ringing tomorrow . . .

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will provide Congress with a fresh assessment of the country's fragile economic health that probably will note some recent improvements, but still warn that it will take time -- perhaps years -- for the economy to get back to normal.

At the same time, Bernanke is likely to face tough questions by lawmakers at a hearing Tuesday before Congress' Joint Economic Committee about the Fed's multitrillion-dollar efforts to bust through credit clogs and get banks lending more freely again to people and businesses.

finance.yahoo.com...

I wonder what that "normalcy" achievable in "perhaps years" (a decade?) looks like.

We will see what the market makes out of it.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Can someone answer me this PLEASE :

How is it that major auto manufacturers are falling like flies, banks are falling, GDP is falling, EU forecast is for prolonged deep recession, newspapers are folding, and businesses all over the country are simply dropping like flies, consumer spending and confidence is about as low as it can go, corporate real esate is falling off a cliff, there is literally not a SINGLE POSITIVE FIGURE OUT THERE and yet the DOW is going through the roof ?

Does this have anything to do with huge amounts of cash being injected into the economy and having nowhere else to go ? And if this is so - then this could well be the one thing that completely breaks the economy as the money being speculated into the market will simply evaporate........

Anyone.

Here's what Reinhardt ponders about:

I really have a strong feeling that these.. moth-balled automobile factories.. may become.. part of a much larger.. military industrial.. complex?

www.enterprisecorruption.com...

Since I understand that life is nothing but "exchange", or in other words "dialectics" - the world of corporations is based on this fact: the zig-zag exchange of arising and descending needs (like a perverted Tesla alternating current motor) - all they care is this Grindhouse must go on. Look at one of Hieronymus Bosch paintings, you will never find someone that is able to escape this logic.

The global corporate world now equals the worst nightmare scenarios from known distpoias in literature and movies. Nations, peoples, individuals, law, order, etc. those are just murky fuel which can only be ignited and than watch it burn.

I see their need to destroy all industry which is not strictly monopolized by corporations, be it big or small. All independent initiative will be suppressed.

The Templars are winnig the first battle big time. But it is just one battle, to mark the beginning of the Second 100 years war.

Ask yourself: is democracy really functioning? Does your vote really count?

It's just a daydream, and reality is a nightmare.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This is the real situation with markets and people. People are blamed for shortages!

Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up

www.cnn.com...

But, in this article everything is actually explained, and the conclusion is different from the given reason.

Gun shops across the country are reporting a run on ammunition, a phenomenon apparently driven by fear that the Obama administration will increase taxes on bullets or enact new gun-control measures.

This invites you to invest in ammo industry...

While campaigning for the White House, Obama supported re-enacting the now-expired ban on assault weapons. But there is no indication that the administration will take up that measure -- or any other gun-control initiative --anytime soon.

And this is why people started to buy ammo to stock it up.

Now, what is the cause of all this? And who is going to profit?

So, the Market is going up, people spending on things they don't really need - they're being robbed blindly!

"People are buying cases or whatever they can get their hands on and putting it away, absolutely," he says. "The only way that this shortage can have to do with it is that people are buying and hoarding."

"I'm not too worried about things being banned or anything like that," he says. But he notes that many of his fellow gun enthusiasts are scared: "There's definitely a lot of fear."

Emotional intelligence

TRUTH:

"The increase in demand for firearms and ammunition is largely attributable to gun owner concerns regarding the current political climate," says Novin, referring to the Obama administration and the Democrat-controlled Congress.

8 billion rounds manufactured per year in the USA. One round costs how much?

"Here at Hornady Manufacturing we are breaking our own production records in an attempt to keep up with customer demand. We have added extra shifts, machinery and we are also in the process of expanding our manufacturing plant."

Expect more jobs...

"I have three or four boxes of 9 mm left at home and a couple of boxes of .45," he says. "I'm just buying as much as I can whenever I can."

You will be TAXED!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Thanks for the reality check, we can not ignore the bigger picture like many do as long as the "markets look good" or "appear like doing good", the factors affecting the entire US and global economy that is poverty, unemployment and the increasing budget deficit that the US has is actually unsustainable any more.

What can a the government, the Treasury and the fed do? keep those markets looking peachy to investors as long as they can and pray at the same time for a miracle.

But the miracle will not come from investors, we are a nation of consumers and without consumer spending is not such thing as economic recovery.

And without borrowing on credit and loans is not going to be consumer spending.

Without jobs and unemployment raising is not going to be line of credits.

Follow me?

Has the economic outlook change in anyway lately? since the markets are "looking better" with the rallies?

Nothing has change actually like you said is getting worst for the real supporters of the economic, The American consumer.

So not our nation has not gotten better and is not chance for a change anytime soon.

Everything is a nothing but smoke and mirrors.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I wonder if the predictions of a sell-off will come to pas when the Dow surpasses the 8500 mark?

If so, and we have another sharp drop, would that not open the door to more federalization of banks and industries?

Interesting times.

Buy gold and Tamiflu!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here's Big Ben spewing again...talk about contradictions???:

www.reuters.com...

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. economy is on track for a recovery later this year, but the pickup is likely to be sluggish and the jobless rate is likely to rise further, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said on Tuesday"

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

I think that he is speaking to the two sectors in these nation the ones with money, wealth and power and the one with nothing but hardships, poverty and more tax gouging to keep the number one sector living comfortable while protecting their wealth.

See, for those that has money to spare (millions) and to throw on a volatile markets to make a buck when lucky and to lose a buck when in a bad day without losing your wealth the markets are just right for you.

But for those in the nation that can not afford to gamble and lose a buck is nothing but more hardship, unemployment, tax gouging and a government that will be breathing down their necks if they misbehave while the government keeps stealing tax payer to pay for those on the top to keep gambling.

That is how I see things now a days.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm catching some chatter about GM news and Bank of America news affecting futures tonight. Could cause a gap down in the morning might just be overnight futures games.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bank of America has been deemed to need an additional $34 billion in capital, according to the results of a government stress test, a source familiar with the results said on Tuesday.

A Bank of America spokesman declined comment. The amount is far higher than published reports had speculated the largest bank might need. It is certain to increase the pressure on Chief Executive Kenneth Lewis, whom shareholders ousted as chairman last week.

www.reuters.com...

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp on Tuesday detailed plans to all but wipe out the holdings of remaining shareholders by issuing up to 60 billion new shares in a bid to pay off debt to the U.S. government, bondholders and the United Auto Workers union.
The unusual plan, which was detailed in a filing with U.S. securities regulators, would only need the approval of the U.S. Treasury to proceed since the U.S. government would be the majority shareholder of a new GM, the company said.

www.reuters.com...

Without doubt, this does not look pretty for tomorrow.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
HAHAHA

People are talking a 1:100 stock split in GM!??

That makes your Mkt Price of 1.48 (or whatever it is) worth like 1.48 cents doesnt it?

Oh man, that would burn so bad, that company is never coming back, they should just let all the employees buy it out or something

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Nothing to see here folks...move along now...

401(k)s Hit by Withdrawal Freezes
Investors Cry Foul as Some Funds Close Exits; Perils of Distressed Markets

Some investors in 401(k) retirement funds who are moving to grab their money are finding they can't.

Even with recent gains in stocks such as Monday's, the months of market turmoil have delivered a blow to some 401(k) participants: freezing their investments in certain plans. In some cases, individual investors can't withdraw money from certain retirement-plan options. In other cases, employers are having trouble getting rid of risky investments in 401(k) plans.

online.wsj.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Ugh...

Karl Denninger says, GM Shareholders: Poof!

The effect of this as disclosed would be that the existing common shareholders would have their holdings reduced in value to one percent of their current market value.

So as of 4:00 Eastern today, your $1.85 stock price would be.... drum roll please..... $0.0185 per share.

There is a lot of other material in this filing related to the restructuring of the debt. The exchange offers appear to have gone from 2/3rds reduction in the outstanding debt to a ninety percent reduction, effectively paying debtholders no more than a dime on the dollar.

Zero Hedge chimes in: GM is officially wiping out common shareholders

In a filing today with the SEC, GM announced that it would issue 60 billion new shares, in order to "pay off" debts to the government, its bondholders and the UAW. And since the government would end up being the majority owner, only the approval of the US Treasury would be needed (talk about a gating factor).

As a result of the flood of new shares, existing shareholders, much as previously expected, would end up owning 1% of the pro forma equity, and assuming straight mathematic dilution, the shares which closed at $1.85 would be worth a little over 1 cent.

Specifically, the actions contemplated by the filing are as follows:

* Increase the number of authorized shares of GM common stock to 62 billion shares;
* Reduce the par value of GM common stock from $1 2/3 per share to $0.01 per share; and
* Effect a 1-for-100 reverse stock split of GM common stock, whereby each 100 shares of GM common stock registered in the name of a stockholder at the effective time of the reverse stock split will be converted into one share of GM common stock.

So much for all mom and pops who bought GM stock today hoping the rolling squeezes would raise it to $10/share before it crumbled to 0... well, actually that may very well happen: no clue yet how "liquidity providers" decided to spin this from a megasqueeze point of view.

I really don't know what to say.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by theWCH]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

How are GM shares at 1 cent? They are at 1.66$ in after hours... so...

EDIT: it's gonna be done soon?

IMO it will be a good buy at 1 cent...

[edit on 6-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
holy moly the dow is approaching its 200 day ema 500 to 600 pts from it if you look back 30yrs or so a lot of stuff has happened at this level we were last there in august 08 ish now in bull market weve crashed through it and used it as support and rocketed higher building a base from it but obama and his mama are going to have to use some pretty good smoke and mirrors tactics to get us to the upside i would be afraid be very afraid at dow 9000 but thats just me

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Big Ben will be ringing tomorrow . . .

. . .We will see what the market makes out of it.

Fed Chairman Bernanke stated in his testimony before the Joint Economic Committee that recent data suggest that the pace of contraction may be slowing, and that economic activity is expected to bottom out, then to turn up later this year.

Stocks did see a brief flurry of buying as the Bernanke's comments and the ISM data hit news wires, but enthusiasm faded and sellers reclaimed control over the session.

Ben, you think that you are at the helm
but the buying flurry was brief.
Someone else is at the controls
and we must follow the up-ticker rule.
It doesn't rhyme
but that doesn't matter.

Sellers took the market controls to steer the ship of wealth toward Port of Loren.
991.com...

~ cabbage! ~

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Bank of America to Need $34 Billion in Capital: Source

Bank of America has been deemed to need an additional $34 billion in capital, according to the results of a government stress test, a source familiar with the results said on Tuesday.

The amount is far higher than published reports had speculated the largest bank might need. It is certain to increase the pressure on Chief Executive Kenneth Lewis, whom shareholders ousted as chairman last week.

www.cnbc.com...

This bank already has taken up to 45 billions of tax payer money now they need additional capital.

Now if this is coming from the biggest bank in the US can you imagine the other 19 banks that took that stress test?.

Well it seems that many of the fat rats sitting at the fed board are complaining that this type of test should be kept hidden and away from scrutiny because they affect the Markets negatively.

Well now the Fed is going to take dictatorship powers even when they are gouging the tax payer to pay for their filthy deals while doing business with corrupted banks?

I don't get it, we really are nothing but milking cattle to this fat rats.

new topics

top topics

<< 283  284  285    287  288  289 >>

join