It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted by the HUM!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
That has to be one of the creepiest things I've heard... aside from messing around tuning into number stations while extremely tired...

It sounds almost like a motor speedway in the distance... but it can't be, otherwise you'd hear the pitches all raise up together all at the same time... you wouldn't hear a whole lot of idling and only one pitch raise.

Maybe a bunch of Harley enthusiasts have gotten together just over the hill, lol.

Really though, I have no idea what would make that noise.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Oh yes, number stations are incredibly creepy! Well I think it's likely that the sound is the earth resonating in key areas that some people are more sensitive to.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

For the last year I have experienced exactly what you are talking about and it is extremely irritating when trying to sleep.

I have searched the internet and this is the closest sounding thing I have found. uk.youtube.com...

The last few months it is getting a lot louder, sometimes it even feels like it is vibrating my body and it has become something that is creeping me out to say the least as I wonder how bad it will get.

I live in Scotland and I have yet to meet anyone around here who has experienced similar. I have also been for ear tests as I originally thought it might be Tinnitus but my hearing appears to be fine.

My 2 cents

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Last night the humming was very loud indeed.

I'm also seeing lights moving in and out of my peripheral vision.

Yep, I'm most definately ill

reply to post by XXXN3O

Yep thats it, I don't find it annoying though like everyone else does.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Indeed. Good vid clip, sounds a lot like what I've heard many times. The Hum I've experienced at home is just quieter than ambience and a perfectly quite night is not that common, the hum is not often heard. But my brother and I have heard it and I suspect more people also have so I need to ask about.

Considering that in many cases, it's experienced in tandem with vibrations, I'm very certain that it's a geological phenomena.

It sounds like where you are, it is very loud which is a shame. Wikipedia says that it's not blocked by earplugs or sound proofing so you might need to move.

[edit on 10/6/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I hear the hum at my house everytime I try to sleep. You are absolutely right that earplugs don't block it. They only seem to isolate it so that it is all that you hear. What is weird though is that I am the only one I know that hears it in my neighborhood. My wife can't hear it.

It is odd.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It was even featured in Live Science as number one on the Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena

To be honest, i'v always heard it but have never thought anything of it, always thinking that there must be some generator near by making the sound.

However, even after putting earplugs in the sound remains.

Meditation always turns this sound on. Sometimes its just there anyway and it makes me feel like my whole head is vibrating.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Yes, that's when it gets annoying. I mean even true silence can be deafening when you dwell on it to long.

I think more people hear it than will say, some people I think hear it but are not aware of it, as if it were the sound of soundlessness. But all people being different, some people say that there whole body hums the sound or that there heads ring like you did, dodgygeeza.

When I was at primary school I remember there was this one bus that had an engine noise that was deafening. Not because it was loud but when it got to a certain speed, sound mixed with vibrations in my head. I later worked out that maybe this was resonance, as at this point the noise would completely drown out all other noise (hence the deafening).

I think that the Hum might be some part of our bodies ringing at resonance, I guessing something in the head like a bone. And of course people all being unique, it would be no wonder that so few people hear it.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Some people have suggested it might have a link to the Schumann resonance.

The Schumann resonances (SR) are a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. Schumann resonances are global electromagnetic resonances, excited by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth surface and the ionosphere.

Schumann Resonance

Purhaps the planet is getting pissed and is ready to kick our behinds?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It doesn't seem like a natural sound to me. I find it very distracting. I used to Lucid Dream and I would do some fairly elaborate relaxation exercises before bed, but the hum distracts me to the point that I can't hold my concentration any longer.

It is very odd.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I live with my partner who has never been able to hear this so im not convinced that it is geological unless of course it might be something that only certain people may hear or notice.

I was never bothered by it too much when I first started hearing this but recently it is louder than before but less frequent. It changes sometimes as well and sounds as if something heavy is walking on the ground getting closer until they are almost next to me then it will go back to the original sound of a hum. (best way i can describe it)

It can be pretty intimidating I find.

Im glad other people seem to experience similarities, maybe someone will get to the bottom of it and make a special set of earplugs

[edit on 6-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Low frequency hum I am not sure about but usually if its high frequency sound you could be suffering from “Tinnitus”

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Well that's one of the possibilities suggested on the wiki page, and theres no doubt that it is the explanation of some of the cases but it would only be a very small part of the people who experience the hum.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I agree T is usually very high. The nearest low freq I have experience of is a cement works dryer it can vibrate trough you from miles away. I hope you get to the bottom of it – I’ll be interested at dropping in again to see what eventuates.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Well if anything eventuates, it won't be from me but rather from Massey Uni.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join