It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted by the HUM!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I live in Hauroko Valley, Southland, New Zealand. I've been here for about five years (-ish, some of that time I've been in boarding school elsewhere) and occasionally I could hear a gentle distant rumbling while at home.

But lately I've had disrupted sleep because of a hum that won't go away.

I hunted around and found that I was experiencing a phenomena called "The Hum" (and sometimes less commonly, "The Taos Hum". Here in New Zealand, Massey University (Auckland) are researching the "Auckland North Shore Hum" and have actually been able to record the hum, previously thought to have been un-recordable.

An approx 3 min MP3 (stereo) of the Hum in Glenfield.

I've looked at the hypotheses on the cause of this hum and have come up with my own. I call it 'The Snake Ear Hypothesis'.

The Hum is only heard by a small part of the population.
The Hum in only reported in certain areas.
The Hum is not hindered by ear plugs or sound proofing.

These three things make me think that the [real] Hum is caused by flows in the mantle which in turn send low frequency 'streaming' sounds through the ground. The vibrations are conducted through our bones, and hence, to the inner ear. If this is the case, then the vibrations do not travel through the air like 'true' sound, which explains the difficulty there has been to record the hum by conventional means.

Hawaii has had a long history of The Hum which have been linked to the volcanism of the island. This is conveniently a parallel of New Zealand, it's volcanism and it's hums.

So, to the point of this thread.

Firstly, have you guys experienced "The Hum"? (lol sounds like a crappy horror film)

And secondly, what do you think of my hypothesis.

Mod edit: Title wording

[edit on 2-10-2008 by sanctum]

[edit on 3-10-2008 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Sounds creepy, but it sounds more like a car driving and accelerating through a underground parking lot. Atleast that's what it seems to me.

Great phenomenon anyway, amazed by this.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Sounds creepy, but it sounds more like a car driving and accelerating through a underground parking lot. Atleast that's what it seems to me.

I know. It's often described as a idling diesel engine in the distance.

But I know it's not an engine where I am, I'm in a valley surrounded in farmland that has a single road going down the centre. It's not a very frequently traversed road and a vehicle isn't gong to be just sitting there almost every night, all night.

I first described it like a stampede that never gets closer or further away and [more importantly] has no direction, ie. is all around.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Ah, this is imagination in action, its after in the way our mind deciphers the information.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Hi Good Wolf. I'm in the southeastern part of U.S. and I hear the hum all the time lately. The dogs all in the area really go crazy at night. My dog is freaked out at night over it so I guess dogs can hear it louder than us? I think it has something to do with the "strange things in the sky, not satellites but aren't stars either. We have several in the sky at night flashing and beaming (?) some kind of rays or fumes across the sky to each other. I have no idea who, what or why these things are there at night. Wish I did!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Well yea I guess. But I'm still hearing something that is apparently origin-less.

On a side note, if you think that sounds creepy you should look up the sounds of Jupiter on youtube. Now that is creepy!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by imysbbad
the "strange things in the sky, not satellites but aren't stars either.

What do you mean? Are they UFO's or what? It is thought that the solar winds or comet noises may produce this sound.

We have two dogs and niether of them can hear it, but since it is only a proportion of people who experience it, that could be the same for dogs too.

It's 1:10am here and I can here the hum as I sit here.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I'm not sure what they are, maybe this nanotechnology, DARPA and HAARP. Their are threads here about flashing star-like things in the sky. I think they are NO GOOD whatever they are. I just think the hum is coming from these things.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by imysbbad

You got some links? I'd be keen to read up on this DARPA and HAARP things you see. I haven't seen anything odd in my sky.

But here's something you should try to differentiate what you're hearing and the hum I'm hearing. Put some ear plugs in and see if it changes or gets rid of the sound. If the sound goes away then your sound is not the Hum, but something else.

[edit on 10/2/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I hear it too. Only when its extremely quiet, feels like a vibration to me.

I must be ill

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
I live in Hauroko Valley, Southland, New Zealand. I've been here for about five years (-ish, some of that time I've been in boarding school elsewhere) and occasionally I could hear a gentle distant rumbling while at home.
So, to the point of this thread.
Firstly, have you guys experienced "The Hum"? (lol sounds like a crappy horror film)

And secondly, what do you think of my hypothesis.

Hi I have discovered through my experiments looking for free energy, a low frequency AC ( alernatings current) about 1 volt. I looked at the frequency using an old (40 years old) ocilloscope. I get a reading of about 15 Hz (hz=hertz) Now I got to thinking that this voltage which is coming from the ground and the frequency it runs at might be the earths engine running so to speak, so I hooked it up to my guitar amplifier and got a low hum at the frequency of about 15 hz. I was hoping that if I amplified it enough I might be able to lite a light bulb. So people hearing this frequency might be in an area where the ground acts like a speaker. Just might thoughts of why you hear it.

Joe

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

That's the norm. I can only hear it at night when the wind dies and all the farm animals stop making noises.

But I'm really glad that you mentioned the vibrations because I think I feel them too, but they were too faint for me to be sure that they weren't just my imagination. The vibrations play into my Snake Ear Hypothesis quite neatly aswell.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
For me, it started in 2005.

I first thought it must be an appliance in the house. After throwing the main breaker, and still hearing it, I thought it must be a neighbor running a generator. Not that either.

Now I just accept it. Mostly, I hear it in doors when it is totally quiet. I feel as though the house is vibrating or humming. The very least amount of noise will mask it. It's very hard to hear outdoors.

Personally, I think everyone could hear it if they knew what to listen for, but I don't recommend trying. Once you tune in, you can never tune out. Sometimes it really annoying. Not one of my friends can hear it, so I quit asking.

It's real. Like everything else in this world that sucks, we just deal with it.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sorry it took me so long to answer- had to go to work. I was just assuming that the objects in the sky had something to do with HAARP or DARPA. They fool around in the skies and these things are hi-tech, new aerial propulsion (?) aircraft that just hover for long periods. They have a purpose up there. Don't know what their doing but it's being done anyway. One of the threads on ATS is: "star-like objects that move strangely in the sky". Go to search here on ATS and put this title in and it'll take you to it. That is just one out of several I have read on here. I watch the things all the time and they are surely on some kind of project, probably secret project. You can never get a straight answer from anyone in the know, about "what the h--- is in our sky???

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

You should get them on tape. Upload them on ATS so I can see.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I know, I have been seriously thinking of investing in a good camera. A camcorder really. My phone camera sucks. Then I would have to figure out how to get it on here, but I don't think that will be a problem. These things have been hanging around here for 6+ months . I was just reading a thread on here posted today about 'secret black projects' and they discuss DARPA in it about the propulsion , stealth aircraft our govt has (secret aircraft that is). It's pretty interesting. Check it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Yea, do that. In this world to day, a camcorder is one of the most powerful weapons.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Surely, if only a small part of the population can hear it, then the majority of us could not hear the recording?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by shujinko90

It is amplified. Like talking louder for someone hard of hearing.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Perhaps it is some kind of underground tunneling.

It seems I have heard that explanation before regarding the hum.

Mine is the opposite, I have the high frequency in my head.

<<   2 >>

join